Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a Male GSD?

Options
  • 08-09-2013 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hi all, just wondering is there anyone here, or anyone you know selling genuine German Shepherd Puppies for a reasonable price? Must be no more than 3 months old and no less than 8 weeks old :). Most appreciated if Long Haired. Young children are and will be in the home, doesn't have to be but the pup is rared with children, brilliant! :) I am fussy on color, sorry! Most appreciated colors: Black and tan, all-tan with black sides, red & black. :) Would like him with the papers, if none that's fine, as long as the pup's Genuine Pure-bred. If possible we are willing to pay no more than €300-€399. Thank you !

Kindest Regards!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Hi all, just wondering is there anyone here, or anyone you know selling genuine German Shepherd Puppies for a reasonable price? Must be no more than 3 months old and no less than 8 weeks old :). Most appreciated if Long Haired. Young children are and will be in the home, doesn't have to be but the pup is rared with children, brilliant! :) I am fussy on color, sorry! Most appreciated colors: Black and tan, all-tan with black sides, red & black. :) Would like him with the papers, if none that's fine, as long as the pup's Genuine Pure-bred. If possible we are willing to pay no more than €300-€399. Thank you !

Kindest Regards!

I know a breeder who has Irish Champion GSDs. He's in Meath. I'll ask him tomorrow if he has any pups or knows of any genuine breeders with any.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Kindest Regards!

How will you know if the puppy is genuine pure-bred if it doesn't have papers?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Lemlin wrote: »
    I know a breeder who has Irish Champion GSDs. He's in Meath. I'll ask him tomorrow if he has any pups or knows of any genuine breeders with any.

Are these show dogs, or working line dogs?

DBB wrote: »
    Are these show dogs, or working line dogs?

Show dogs.

ShaShaBear wrote: »

If the parents have papers then the pup is genuine pure bred.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

Kindest Regards!

It's worrying that all you seem to care about is what the dog looks like as opposed to whether it was bred properly.
    Bargain hunting and so many concerns about colour schemes? You're buying a dog, not a sofa.

Show dogs.

Is this breeder in Drogheda? In the Marley's Lane area?

Is this breeder in Drogheda? In the Marley's Lane area?

Nope, Meath. Near enough Kells.

That area of Drogheda is right on the Louth/Meath border.

OP, I'd be inclined to avoid the show lines of GSD like the plague. The show side have refused to move away from the abomination that is the show GSD. They're half dog, half frog, huge shoulders and heads, but dragging a weak, unsound hind end behind them, their hocks banging off each other and almost touching the ground. Completely unfit for purpose and suffering from serious health issues especially as they get older.
    Try to aim for a laid back working line dog. They have to be physically fit for purpose. They tend to be quite drivey, but if you can source a more chilled out indivudual, you'd save yourself a lot of heartache.

If the parents have papers then the pup is genuine pure bred.

OP said they didn't care if the dog had papers, once it was genuine pure-bred. I was pointing out that papers are the only proof that the dog is genuine pure-bred. Other than that, you have to take the breeder's word for it.

And I can't imagine too many show-winning GSD litters going for under €400 a piece, although I might be wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

OP said they didn't care if the dog had papers, once it was genuine pure-bred. I was pointing out that papers are the only proof that the dog is genuine pure-bred. Other than that, you have to take the breeder's word for it.

And I can't imagine too many show-winning GSD litters going for under €400 a piece, although I might be wrong.

Having seen a show bred GSD juvenile dog first hand with dodgy hips and stiff legs after getting up I wouldn't be wanting the show lines either. It will end up a lifetime of pain and medication for the dog and a lot of heartache and expense for the owner. The working dogs may not have champion status but they seem to be healthier ( to a degree)

Then on the other hand, there was a GSD that was rescued while pregnant (she had the pups here as the vet couldn't be precise when she was due and the owners were away). She had 6 pure bred little pups, she's a straight backed, very even tempered bitch and while the owners kept one, the rest went to rescue to be rehomed, they could have been picked up for the rehoming fee. It doesn't happen often, but it can happen.

I've actually seen an increasing amount of GSD puppies in rescue centres these days. Them and collies.
    Unfortunately I think the two of these breeds, and a mix of them both, is being used as some sort of cheap alternative to huskeys :( It's becoming very popular up here, as the collie will give a GSD cross a longer coat, and the extra colouring. Plus the fact that they are usually found around farms and the likes, and owners will sell pups cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

I've actually seen an increasing amount of GSD puppies in rescue centres these days. Them and collies.
    Unfortunately I think the two of these breeds, and a mix of them both, is being used as some sort of cheap alternative to huskeys :( It's becoming very popular up here, as the collie will give a GSD cross a longer coat, and the extra colouring. Plus the fact that they are usually found around farms and the likes, and owners will sell pups cheap.

There's always lots of collies:(
    They make the worst family pet and I think a lot of people don't put any research into them at all and put them in a house full of kids. And there always seems to be litters, possibly from irresponsible farmers, who's previous generations had no problems drowning or wringing their necks. OHs father saw this regularly as a child growing up on the farm, thankfully he didn't go into farming as he has quite a 'detached' view of animals.

There's always lots of collies:(
    They make the worst family pet and I think a lot of people don't put any research into them at all and put them in a house full of kids. And there always seems to be litters, possibly from irresponsible farmers, who's previous generations had no problems drowning or wringing their necks. OHs father saw this regularly as a child growing up on the farm, thankfully he didn't go into farming as he has quite a 'detached' view of animals.

We have a collie, he was definitely never meant to be a family pet. He is quite good with children, but that's only through 9 years of not giving him a chance to prove otherwise. Kids two doors down from us think he's a husky and have no idea what a collie actually is. Something like that worries me!

Back to the point I always make again. If both parents have papers, and the buyer sees the papers, is that not as much proof as anyone gets?

Even people who get dogs with papers are taking the breeders word for it so that part of your post is misleading.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Hi all, just wondering is there anyone here, or anyone you know selling genuine German Shepherd Puppies for a reasonable price? Must be no more than 3 months old and no less than 8 weeks old :). Most appreciated if Long Haired. Young children are and will be in the home, doesn't have to be but the pup is rared with children, brilliant! :) I am fussy on color, sorry! Most appreciated colors: Black and tan, all-tan with black sides, red & black. :)Would like him with the papers, if none that's fine, as long as the pup's Genuine Pure-bred. If possible we are willing to pay no more than €300-€399. Thank you !

Kindest Regards!

The bold, underlined part is obviously what ShaShaBear was replying to, and has a good point I think.
    Back to the point I always make again. If both parents have papers, and the buyer sees the papers, is that not as much proof as anyone gets?

Even people who get dogs with papers are taking the breeders word for it so that part of your post is misleading.

I totally agree with you that actually papers are no guarantee of a pure breed dog, as no tests are done to ensure that the papers are those of the dogs that are registered etc, but I don't understand why you have such an issue with her/him pointing out that not getting papers makes it much harder to know if the dogs are pure breed or not.

Regardless of your personal prefences to the way you deal with your own litters, Lemlin, the fact is that unless the puppies themselves are registered and with their own papers there is little to no proof that they are thoroughbred, or that the bitch and/or dog you are introduced to are even the real parent(s) of the litter. It's a very common ploy.

I am in no way suggesting this is what you do as I witnessed the heated debate about it not so long ago, but if the OP absolutely wants to make sure they get a healthy, well-bred and authentic GSD, they should be insisting that the puppy already be registered with papers. Or else there is no definite, physical proof that the breeders have not:
    a) overbred the bitch
    b) shown you test results for dogs that are not the parents of the litter
    c) neglected to microchip the puppies to ensure they are returned to the breeder instead of ending up in a pound at some point
    d) that the breeder has taken the initiative to register the puppy and its siblings with the IKC rather than assume the buyer will

Regardless of your personal prefences to the way you deal with your own litters, Lemlin, the fact is that unless the puppies themselves are registered and with their own papers there is little to no proof that they are thoroughbred, or that the bitch and/or dog you are introduced to are even the real parent(s) of the litter. It's a very common ploy.

I am in no way suggesting this is what you do as I witnessed the heated debate about it not so long ago, but if the OP absolutely wants to make sure they get a healthy, well-bred and authentic GSD, they should be insisting that the puppy already be registered with papers. Or else there is no definite, physical proof that the breeders have not:
    a) overbred the bitch
    b) shown you test results for dogs that are not the parents of the litter
    c) neglected to microchip the puppies to ensure they are returned to the breeder instead of ending up in a pound at some point
    d) that the breeder has taken the initiative to register the puppy and its siblings with the IKC rather than assume the buyer will

I'm playing devils advocate here but as the poster above said, even when you are given papers, how do you know the dog on the papers or the dog you saw is even the parent?

No tests take place to ensure they are.

I have no wish to get into more arguments about papers. My own two dogs have papers for example.

But I do think the importance of papers is greatly overstated by a number on the forum here.

That's my only point. For me, the IKC aren't doing enough. For example, you say papers show the bitch wasn't overbred.

The IKC allow practically one litter a year. That to me is overbred.

I'm playing devils advocate here but as the poster above said, even when you are given papers, how do you know the dog on the papers or the dog you saw is even the parent?

No tests take place to ensure they are.

I have no wish to get into more arguments about papers. All my own dogs have papers for example. But I do think the importance of papers is greatly overstated by a number on the forum here.

That's my only point. For me, the IKC aren't doing enough. For example, you say papers show the bitch wasn't overbred.

The IKC allow practically one litter a year. That to me is overbred.

I understand that, and all I am saying is that, irrespective of the importance of papers, a puppy with them (assuming the buyer knows what they are supposed to look like and can compare them to that of the parent to ensure they match up) has a far more credible lineage than those without.

I understand that, and all I am saying is that, irrespective of the importance of papers, a puppy with them (assuming the buyer knows what they are supposed to look like and can compare them to that of the parent to ensure they match up) has a far more credible lineage than those without.

I agree with you here because a three or four generation pedigree certificate can be applied for showing the lineage.

I think people are taking me up wrong here. I'm not anti IKC or anti papers. I just see people giving information about papers which I see as incorrect. I've read on this forum a number of claims about papers guaranteeing this or papers guaranteeing that when the reality is that they don't, and for me people need to realise that.

I also don't think papers are necessary in all cases as I've said previously. For example, one of my dogs is an 11 year old Norwegian Elkhound that I rehomed from an elderly couple who could no longer exercise the dog. The dog is pure bred and has papers but is neuteured. The papers sat in their filing cabinet for the 9 years until I took the dog. In my opinion, papers in circumstances like that are not necessary.

• Advertisement

I agree with you here because a three or four generation pedigree certificate can be applied for showing the lineage.

I think people are taking me up wrong here. I'm not anti IKC or anti papers. I just see people giving information about papers which I see as incorrect. I've read on this forum a number of claims about papers guaranteeing this or papers guaranteeing that when the reality is that they don't, and for me people need to realise that.

I also don't think papers are necessary in all cases as I've said previously. For example, one of my dogs is an 11 year old Norwegian Elkhound that I rehomed from an elderly couple who could no longer exercise the dog. The dog is pure bred and has papers but is neuteured. The papers sat in their filing cabinet for the 9 years until I took the dog. In my opinion, papers in circumstances like that are not necessary.

You're very right, but in the interest of a small puppy, especially one that comes from a champion line - be that in working or showing - should have papers (in my opinion) so that new potential owners do not lose out on any of the potential activities they can take up with their new dog.

In the case of the OP, they have very specific physical requirements for the new dog, which would believe me to think there is a reason that the coat and colour are so important. Without jumping to conclusions about what they want that for, I would assume papers would be pretty important to them.

I've witnessed several cases of people showing a buyer papers for both parents that they claimed to own. One case had the breeders insisting that puppies don't get papers until you intend to breed them, then you have to register. Another had papers for the wrong bitch. Another had what I would have to call the worst forgery I have ever seen.

Long story short, and since we can agree thus far on the looser scale of things I am sure you will agree on this, that if the OP is absolutely adamant that they must have a purebred GSD, genuine registered papers for the puppies would be a far better course than taking a stranger's word that the puppy comes from a line of well-bred, dark coloured, long-haired GSDs.

Considering DoneDeal are selling registered GSD puppies for €350 plus, I think the OP would also need to rethink their price range.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Just wondering if straight-backed is any guarantee of good hips? Our girl was picked up from a shelter and has a lovely straight back. Still smallish hips, though. She's def not a froggy in any case!

There are nice shepherds to be found in shelters as has been said OP. Although perhaps not to the criteria listed.

Here is a pic of Maxi. At the time of pic she is about 6 months out if the shelter.

Gumbi wrote: »
    Just wondering if straight-backed is any guarantee of good hips? Our girl was picked up from a shelter and has a lovely straight back. Still smallish hips, though. She's def not a froggy in any case!

No, straight-backed is no guarantee, but frog-dogs are far more likely to have hip dysplasia.
    Another problem with frogdogs is spondylosis, arthritis in the spine. Again, straight-backed dogs are not immune to this either, but the poor roach-backed dogs have a much higher likelihood of developing it, and it being a lot worse than in stright-backed dogs.
    What do you mean by smallish hips? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

No, straight-backed is no guarantee, but frog-dogs are far more likely to have hip dysplasia.
    Another problem with frogdogs is spondylosis, arthritis in the spine. Again, straight-backed dogs are not immune to this either, but the poor roach-backed dogs have a much higher likelihood of developing it, and it being a lot worse than in stright-backed dogs.
    What do you mean by smallish hips? :o

I dunno tbh. Maybe I just don't know what I'm talking about haha.

Gumbi wrote: »
    I dunno tbh. Maybe I just don't know what I'm talking about haha.

Lol, well one thing's for sure, you've lovely taste in dogs! Maxi's really gorgeous!:o

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Ricochet_Chloe

Kindest Regards!
    UPDATE: €399-€550 is the prices I am paying for a great quality pup. HAS to be purebred genuine with papers and ikc reg. Long hair, short hair - really doesnt matter. Good lines and healthy, playful pup. I have checked the rescues. I am in Kilkenny. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

UPDATE: €399-€550 is the prices I am paying for a great quality pup. HAS to be purebred genuine with papers and ikc reg. Long hair, short hair - really doesnt matter. Good lines and healthy, playful pup. I have checked the rescues. I am in Kilkenny. Thanks.

Sorry but 550 is cheap. You will not get a good quality pup for less than 800/900 at least. Anything that's cheap is cheap fora reason. The parents prob won't be hip scored and that's an absolute must with gsds. Do not touch a breeder who hasn't hip scored the parents.

andreac wrote: »
    Sorry but 550 is cheap. You will not get a good quality pup for less than 800/900 at least. Anything that's cheap is cheap fora reason. The parents prob won't be hip scored and that's an absolute must with gsds. Do not touch a breeder who hasn't hip scored the parents.
    Im keeping it at around €500 because my parents wont let me get any higher. I have a friend whos dad paid €550 for his gsd and it is an active and curious dog who loves to meet new people who come to their house (hes 7-8 months old) and he is very healthy and stands about 40cm. :)

andreac wrote: »
    What is hip scored ? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

What is hip scored ? :)

If you don't know what hip scoring is then you shouldn't be getting a gsd. You need to do a lot more research before getting a dog like this.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement