Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Where's my horse?" Owner claims Garda told him to "Check Tesco"

Like I say, there's no point in getting into a discussion on it, either or both of us will just get banned. What you think it means and what I think it means probably differ, but it's not discriminatory in the slightest IMO, any more than the word "scumbag" is.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Rachiee

Ive also witnessed gardai antagonise and provoke people on several occasions and blatantly so; how do they expect people to react. its poor training and poor leadership; hence why its more prevalent in some forces than others.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Tramps Like Us

seamus wrote: »
    Like I say, there's no point in getting into a discussion on it, either or both of us will just get banned. What you think it means and what I think it means probably differ, but it's not discriminatory in the slightest IMO, any more than the word "scumbag" is.

Then your head is in the sand. Of course it is discriminatory, you should be ashamed
    http://metro.co.uk/2007/12/13/pikey-is-now-a-race-hate-word-583752/

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/7446274.stm

I could go on and link to sites like Pavee point and what travellers say about the term themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Then your head is in the sand. Of course it is discriminatory, you should be ashamed
    http://metro.co.uk/2007/12/13/pikey-is-now-a-race-hate-word-583752/

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/7446274.stm

I could go on and link to sites like Pavee point and what travellers say about the term themselves

You should talk to Joe:
    http://www.travellerfm.com/About-The-DJs.html

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

In the context that you used earlier in the thread, it definitely was discriminatory.

I never mentioned travellers. The man lives in a house, so he's clearly not a traveller. I would suggest that I'm not the one being discriminatory.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

I never mentioned travellers. The man lives in a house, so he's clearly not a traveller. I would suggest that I'm not the one being discriminatory.

Most Travellers live in a house these days. You're talking out your arse.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Seaneh wrote: »
    The fact that you can be charged with a crime for telling a gardai to "**** off" is a bit of a joke.
    Archaic nonsense law.
    Correct. Dirtbirds should be allowed verbally abuse Gardaí, Staff in A and E, Social Workers, Dole Office staff. They're only Public Servants after all.

FTA69 wrote: »
    Most Travellers live in a house these days.
    That sentence makes no sense. Travellers travel. They are defined by the very fact that they don't live in a house. If they live in a house, they cease to travel, therefore are no longer travellers. :confused:

Pathetic.

Even if you weren't, as another poster said, talking out your arse thats no excuse to use such a term, its amazing that you think it is.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

krudler wrote: »
    That's hardly a smart response, it's a statement of fact. Ever seen many orange Focus cars around?
    Very popular in Ballymena around the Twelfth. Usually have a poster of Ian Paisley on the bonnet

thats no excuse to use such a term, its amazing that you think it is.
    I'm really offended by your username. They should be known as the "domicile impaired", not "tramps". You should be ashamed of yourself. I'm amazed you think it's appropriate as a username.

It's a lyric from a Bruce Springsteen song.

Keep digging, you're just making yourself look more backward and ignorant by using shameful, offensive, racist language like you are. How you haven't been banned is beyond me. Do you also go around calling people ****, ******s and Pakis? Its the same type of thing.

That sentence makes no sense. Travellers travel. They are defined by the very fact that they don't live in a house. If they live in a house, they cease to travel, therefore are no longer travellers. :confused:

Travellers are a seperate group in society with a tradition of nomadism, they don't have to exercise that tradition in order to be considered part of that group. Honestly mate, go read up on the subject or something. Or go and call a Traveller a pikey and then tell him he can't get mad because he lives in a house. It'll be a far more interactive form of education.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Travellers are a seperate group in society with a tradition of nomadism, they don't have to exercise that tradition in order to be considered part of that group. Honestly mate, go read up on the subject or something. Or go and call a Traveller a pikey and then tell him he can't get mad because he lives in a house. It'll be a far more interactive form of education.

A tradition of nomadism? I can think of other traditions they have but would rather not get banned.

Pikey is a slang word I have heard them use to each other.

If they can say it, others can say it.

Er, are tramps not nomads?

If you're actually asserting that Travellers use the term "pikey" to describe themselves then you're lying. They don't, and they find the term highly offensive. "Pikey" is an English term that people in Ireland only started using after Snatch came out. You may be thinking of "Pavee" which is how they refer to themselves.

I heard Jay Z say "n*gger" the other day. Does that mean I can call my postman a "n*gger" tomorrow morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

A tradition of nomadism? I can think of other traditions they have but would rather not get banned.

Er, are tramps not nomads?

I heard black people use the word n*gger towards each other, that doesnt excuse anyone using it in a discriminatory context.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Rachiee wrote: »
    Ive also witnessed gardai antagonise and provoke people on several occasions and blatantly so; how do they expect people to react. its poor training and poor leadership; hence why its more prevalent in some forces than others.

It is not poor training, the training that members of An Garda Síochána receive at commencement of employment is second to none! Outstanding staff and resources available at Templemore; my issues is what happens in the stations. Re-Read some auld threads on boards and other sites and speak to serving members about what they get told in the stations after their time in Templemore!

I've serious issues with An Garda Síochána with what happens in the stations, it is there where members learn to & change their attitudes imo, it has nothing to to with their training and why I'm not commenting on 'Leadership'! Saying members get poor training is nothing short of nonsense!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭WilyCoyote

The guarda should have said:

without the inverted victory sign :D

If you're actually asserting that Travellers use the term "pikey" to describe themselves then you're lying. They don't, and they find the term highly offensive. "Pikey" is an English term that people in Ireland only started using after Snatch came out. You may be thinking of "Pavee" which is how they refer to themselves.

I heard Jay Z say "n*gger" the other day. Does that mean I can call my postman a "n*gger" tomorrow morning?

Liar? You obviously have not seen the scum that stay in the guesthouse next to my job, its famous. They get lots of them in there and quite a few from the UK. I know, I deal with them practically weekly. Its so bad, that when the owner rings the guards, he is told they are busy. (alledgedly)

Like youtube? Heres a video for you.

Some of them do refer to themselves using that name.

Dempsey wrote: »
    I heard black people use the word n*gger towards each other, that doesnt excuse anyone using it in a discriminatory context.

If you're actually asserting that coloured people use the term "n*gger" to describe themselves then you're lying. They don't, and they find the term highly offensive. "N*gger" is an American ter:rolleyes:m.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭WilyCoyote

Liar? You obviously have not seen the scum that stay in the guesthouse next to my job, its famous. They get lots of them in there and quite a few from the UK. I know, I deal with them practically weekly. Its so bad, that when the owner rings the guards, he is told they are busy. (alledgedly)

Like youtube? Heres a video for you.

It would have been nice if the cameraman didn't have the DTs.
    Quite dangerous for the driver and passengers, if digging the lair had destabilized the tracks causing a derailment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I don't care about either the guard or the horses owner. I'd like to know more about the horses and what did happen to them though. I've seen starving horses in fields and it sickens me how they're treated. It's disgusting the way people can get away with mistreating horses.

They don't use the term in parlance with each other as a form of description whatsoever, you pointing to one video where they humourously use the term isn't a moniker isn't proof to the contrary. Similarly, it doesn't give you the right to use the term, no more than you're allowed to call black people n*ggers because some black people use that term.
    They get lots of them in there and quite a few from the UK. I know, I deal with them practically weekly. Its so bad, that when the owner rings the guards, he is told they are busy. (alledgedly)

What's that got to do with anything? You can't blanketly tar an entire group as scum because you've eoncountered Travellers who are arseholes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

I don't care about either the guard or the horses owner. I'd like to know more about the horses and what did happen to them though. I've seen starving horses in fields and it sickens me how they're treated. It's disgusting the way people can get away with mistreating horses.

Not particularly interested in people having fits of pique over who-said-what-to-whom.
    A horse is not a 'pet' like a hamster or a goldfish, if you can't keep it in a secure area and look after it then you should not be allowed to own one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Pappa Charlie

kerry4sam wrote: »
    It is not poor training, the training that members of An Garda Síochána receive at commencement of employment is second to none! Outstanding staff and resources available at Templemore; my issues is what happens in the stations. Re-Read some auld threads on boards and other sites and speak to serving members about what they get told in the stations after their time in Templemore!

I've serious issues with An Garda Síochána with what happens in the stations, it is there where members learn to & change their attitudes imo, it has nothing to to with their training and why I'm not commenting on 'Leadership'! Saying members get poor training is nothing short of nonsense!

Its in stations that you deal with reality and not text books like the college, "Diffuse the emotional tension = break up the scrap"
    Just cause you may have had a bad experience does not mean everyone has, maybe it was more to do with your behaviour than everyone else! Everyone was out of step but our Johnny!

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Sofa King Great

So from reading this thread I understand that it is ok for someone to verbally abuse a member of the Gardai and tell him to **** off but to refer to someone as a pikey is a "hate crime"

Am I missing anything?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 919 ✭✭✭wicklowstevo

so now its ok to abuse gardai but if the garda responds with a sarcastic comment he is the bad guy ??

if the garda told him to **** off what would the reaction be ?

yer man obviously shouldn't have had the horses when something is done about it he makes silly claims in court trying to discredit everyone else.

once again when it comes to policing your damed if you do and damed if you don't
    typical ****ed up Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭srm23

Why do people who live in council houses think they've got a God-given right to keep a horse, roaming around, without any facilities for it?
    About time this sh!t was clamped down on, cause of so much needless suffering for the animals.

do you work for Tesco?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭srm23

they are in Tesco now, not much chance of starving there