Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best aldi or lidl vodka.

Options
  • 12-08-2013 10:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭

a guy i used work with from the Ukraine was telling me one of the regular vodkas in aldi or lidl was proper Russian/polish quality stuff. dont recall the name anyone know which is the best of them ? i dont touch the stuff so wouldnt know good vodka from ditchwater.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

This one in Lidl is pretty good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

a guy i used work with from the Ukraine was telling me one of the regular vodkas in aldi or lidl was proper Russian/polish quality stuff. dont recall the name anyone know which is the best of them ? i dont touch the stuff so wouldnt know good vodka from ditchwater.

He was probably talking about Zubrowka. It is quality stuff. Especially straight from the freezer. I've seen it in Lidl a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

syklops wrote: »
    He was probably talking about Zubrowka.
    I doubt it, that stuff is flavoured and got in loads of offies & supermarkets (nice stuff alright, esp. with good pressed apple juice). From the OP it sounds like it was unflavoured (regular) own brand vodka. I expect both aldi and lidl have decent own brand vodkas. They probably have 2-3 variations, I would stick with the 2 more expensive ones if there are 3.

There was some review site of vodkas which included own brands.

Regular vodka is easy & quick to make, no maturing etc, no expensive intial ingredients, so you should be able to get top quality vodka for a good price.

Just looking on tesco I see these listed alongside each other

Tesco Everyday Value Vodka 70Cl€12.99 (€18.56/l)

Grey Goose Vodka 70Cl €51.99

Now I would bet the value vodka is not great, but with a little more processing it could probably have been fine. It laughable to think grey gooses additional processing and possibly slightly better ingredients was worth €39 extra. Hobby distillers (legal in many countries) can make excellent vodkas for about €2-3 a bottle, including all energy, yeast & ingredient costs.

rubadub wrote: »
    I doubt it, that stuff is flavoured and got in loads of offies & supermarkets (nice stuff alright, esp. with good pressed apple juice). From the OP it sounds like it was unflavoured (regular) own brand vodka. I expect both aldi and lidl have decent own brand vodkas. They probably have 2-3 variations, I would stick with the 2 more expensive ones if there are 3.

We may need the OP to clarify. I understood it as not being an own brand but as the OP says "proper Russian/polish quality stuff."

Zubrowka ticks all the boxes. Its Polish, its a real brand that one can buy in Poland.

syklops wrote: »
    Zubrowka ticks all the boxes.
    Doesn't tick the "regular" box to me. Its a strong flavour, several people I know hated it, some came around when it was with apple juice.

If it was a branded one I would have guessed Wyborowa.

I still think its own brand, unflavoured but as good a quality as "proper" polish stuff.

• Advertisement

Doesn't tick the "regular" box to me. Its a strong flavour, several people I know hated it, some came around when it was with apple juice.

If it was a branded one I would have guessed Wyborowa.

I still think its own brand, unflavoured but as good a quality as "proper" polish stuff.

Well we will need the OP to clarify what he meant. I've never seen Wyborowa in Lidl.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭poitinstill

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Actually drinking that right now. It's what I always get.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,158 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Oohh tesco vodka *shudders*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭Greg81

Check the vodka prices here:

http://www.gourmondo.de/g/category/NN121700/Wodka.jsf

There is flat price for delivery 10 Euro. No matter if you order 1 bottle or 100.

Good site.

• Advertisement

MadYaker wrote: »
    Oohh tesco vodka *shudders*
    well I would take tesco finest vodka over the likes of smirnoff red any day, the regular stuff is on a par with it too, never had the value stuff, the bottles are horrific looking.

People should do blind tasting, most are lashing in loads of coke anyway.
    Greg81 wrote: »
    There is flat price for delivery 10 Euro. No matter if you order 1 bottle or 100.
    Even though its within the EU you are still liable for excise duty.
    http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/excise/leaflets/pn1879.html

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,788 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Not strictly true. Within the EU the retailer is liable for the excise duty. It's up to them to pay the Revenue Commissioners. Though if they don't, and it's spotted, it's the customer who loses out, of course.

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/excise/leaflets/pn1879.html[/QUOTE]

Ordered few times. Never got a problem.

Ordered few times. Never got a problem.
    Whats the max you ordered in one go?

I remember hearing of guys ordering beer in the past with no problem too. In fact I do not remember reading of anybody being stung, just saying you could be, esp. with talk of bulk delivery.

If its a genuine gift I think you can get 1 litre from outside (or within) the EU too.

One trick the online cigarette sellers do is to set up a subscription service, you buy 3 months supply and they send out a pack of 20 every single day to you. So its never worthwhile for customs to collect the duty. Fully legal.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,788 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

If its a genuine gift I think you can get 1 litre from outside (or within) the EU too.

One trick the online cigarette sellers do is to set up a subscription service, you buy 3 months supply and they send out a pack of 20 every single day to you. So its never worthwhile for customs to collect the duty. Fully legal.
    Not legal, just harder to catch. Also, while there's a relief for duty, VAT still has to be paid to Irish Revenue.

The rules and procedures on gifts are at section 4 onwards here.

Check the vodka prices here:

http://www.gourmondo.de/g/category/NN121700/Wodka.jsf

Good site.

700ml of Jim Beam for 13 euros :eek:
    700ml of Tullamore Dew for 15 euro :eek:

If you ordered a few bottles at a time you could make some serious savings.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Tesco Everyday Value Vodka
    Lol, brilliant name for booze, "Everyday" :D

Whats the max you ordered in one go?

More than 30 bottels. Vodka, whiskey and scotch.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭tregan

agree with first reply from Kroc54 - i'm a smirnoff drinker (not flavoured versions) and think this one is close ....

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Antrim_Man

Lidl £7.99 vodka wins in taste test
    16 Jan 2011 00:00
    A cut-price supermarket vodka costing just #7.99 a bottle has come top in a series of taste tests.

A cut-price supermarket vodka costing just #7.99 a bottle has come top in a series of taste tests.

Lidl's Putinoff beat own-label vodkas from Waitrose, Marks & Spencer, Sainsbury's, Morrisons and the Co-op - as well as celebrity favourite Grey Goose, which costs #30 a bottle.

It was given 10 out of 10 for flavour by price comparison site www.supermarketownbrandguide.com Website editor Martin Isark said: "Neat or with a mixer, this is is a stunning vodka."

Check out all the latest News, Sport & Celeb gossip at Mirror.co.uk http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/lidl-799-vodka-wins-in-taste-104745#ixzz2cW3ejK9o
    Follow us: @DailyMirror on Twitter | DailyMirror on Facebook

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

Antrim_Man wrote: »
    Lidl £7.99 vodka wins in taste test
    16 Jan 2011 00:00

Lidl's Putinoff beat own-label vodkas from Waitrose, Marks & Spencer, Sainsbury's, Morrisons and the Co-op - as well as celebrity favourite Grey Goose, which costs #30 a bottle.

It was given 10 out of 10 for flavour by price comparison site www.supermarketownbrandguide.com Website editor Martin Isark said: "Neat or with a mixer, this is is a stunning vodka."

Check out all the latest News, Sport & Celeb gossip at Mirror.co.uk http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/lidl-799-vodka-wins-in-taste-104745#ixzz2cW3ejK9o
    Follow us: @DailyMirror on Twitter | DailyMirror on Facebook

At least we know he was tasting right up to writing the review. Hic

Post here related to some earlier comments. This guy had 2 700ml bottles of captain morgans seized by customs, coming from germany
    Seized Alcohol by customs (sent from parents)

Advertisement