Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So Co Dublin - I don't get it!

Options
  • 08-09-2013 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,736 ✭✭✭✭

I'm originally from the north of the city, but these days I'm living and working in the D18/Sandyford area, and I have to say.. I really don't get why this part of town is so sought after!

- There's 2 Dunnes Stores near me, both of which are very expensive and have little in the way of selection or decent offers etc vs say Tesco in Finglas or Clare Hall

- The Tesco in Stillorgan is small, badly laid out and the parking/traffic around it is a disaster

- Dundrum SC is as if they tried to fit Blanch SC into an area half the size. Again parking is a disaster (and you have to pay for it!) and walking around the place I find there's really nothing in it except for a lot of Celtic Tiger hangover shops (ditto The Beacon which has a load of deserted stores)

- There's nothing to do around the place and public transport (if you were reliant on it) is poor. My estate is served by the 47 once every half hour. Other than that you're looking at a 20 minute walk to the next nearest bus stop/route. Lucky for me I have a car.

Ok where I'm living is quiet and well maintained but you pay a premium for that - I just think the other facilities fall far short for the money myself.

I used to live in Virginia in Cavan and it was a lot nicer place to be IMO. I also lived in Blanch for years too and you had everything you needed on your doorstep (and you weren't/aren't charged €2 an hour for the privilege of parking).

Is it just me? I'm giving serious consideration to moving because of this even though at the moment I have a 10 minute commute.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,350 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Your priorities seem weird.
    Tesco is the axis of evil. Poor meats, poor fruit and veg etc. your basing your opinion on hue shops. Really all you need is an AlDI, butchers and green grocers.

Look at the parks available, look at the nice houses, roads , etc, look at the standard of schools, the higher social status of people. You got the nice coastal areas and the nice mountains.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭markpb

I live in Sandyford now and don't really like it (but its a ten minute walk to work). On the other hand, I really liked living in Dundrum (on Wyckham bypass). The area was nice, the Luas is brilliant, the shopping centre (especially the 24 hour Tesco, late opening chemist and cinema) was very handy. Meadowbrook swimming pool is nice and only a ten minute walk away. The cycling facilities are pretty good, especially between Dundrum and Sandyford. What sold it for me was the warren of little paths that run along the streams away from the roads. They're often faster than walking along the road and nice for an evening stroll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

You think parking at Dundrum is a disaster? There are huge underground carparks, Ive never ever failed to find a parking spot easily! They even have little green lights above empty spaces to guide you! And the parking is dirt cheap, its 2 quid for the first 3 hours before 6pm and a flat rate of 2 quid after 6pm.

I usually only go there for the cinema so perhaps its a lot worse during shopping hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭LOTD

I lived in Monkstown for a while, found the area to be nice but kind of dull and boring, that's just my opinion. Moved to the city then after that, found it to be a more lively place and more of an atmosphere. I guess I prefer the city rather then the suburbs, each have their good and bad it's just matter of what you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,736 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I just guess for me, I find it very dull. I'm not into nature walks or cycling and my point about the shopping options is more how expensive it is and inconvenient and for what? Better off hopping across the M50 to Blanch where you can do all the shopping, get some food and watch a film or something.
    Yes I know there's the underground at Dundrum but the few times I've been there it's been packed, traffic in and out of it is a mess thanks to the roundabout at the entrance and the junction beside it, and I resent paying for parking for no real reason.

I'm not saying the houses/apartments and the area isn't nice.. just that it's not worth the extra premium when you can get just as nice areas elsewhere without having to jump in the car and leave the area every time you want to go to the shops or do something.
    I think LOTD may have a point, this area is just too dull for my tastes maybe, but it is convenient to work (but that's about all).

As for the "higher social status" that would be the last thing I'd be concerned about - if anything I'd find it a turn off in someone (male or female) who felt they were somehow "better" because of their post code.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭LOTD

It's better to live in a place where you enjoy spending time in the area itself and what it has to offer you, wherever that area happens to be. Kaiser It sounds like you have a real fondness for the northside of the city, I prefer it myself. It's better to live in an area that you like and enjoy rather living there cause it's handy, that's my take on things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

I believe it's known as SoCoDu...loike.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,350 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I believe it's known as SoCoDu...loike.

Troll

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭EricPraline

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    I'm originally from the north of the city, but these days I'm living and working in the D18/Sandyford area, and I have to say.. I really don't get why this part of town is so sought after!
    Tbh the modern part Sandyford is an unfinished project from the Tiger. 25 years ago it was a remote suburb with a mid-sized industrial estate, so it has come along way since then. But honestly I've never heard it described as one of the most sought after parts of the city. Big difference between there and D18/Foxrock village, but the latter is not going to be a hub of excitement either. It sounds like you might get the village convenience feel you're looking for by moving to Ranelagh or Rathmines, but you'll pay even more for your rent and shopping.

That said, I wouldn't move to an area based on the quality of the local Tesco. If anything I'd prefer to be away from the likes of the Blanch centre or Dundrum centre, but if that's where someone likes to spend their time, then it makes sense to live nearby.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

When people talk about prime South County Dublin, they refer to areas like Blackrock, Mount Merrion, Foxrock, Dalkey, Killiney. 'New' Sandyford isn't up there. And those areas aren't exactly catering for the price-sensitive. The main reason for their cachet is the availability of detached houses on large plots in mature areas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Weak OP , Sandyford is just an office park at the edge of Dublin, who cares about it ;-) .

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Tbh the modern part Sandyford is an unfinished project from the Tiger. 25 years ago it was a remote suburb with a mid-sized industrial estate.

Even 10-15 years ago. I learned to drive in that industrial estate about 10 years ago and it would be deserted on a Sat/Sun morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,477 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

That would be because Sandyford is not a sought after area at all in the slightest. It's a giant Industrial estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Clarehobo

Tbh the modern part Sandyford is an unfinished project from the Tiger. 25 years ago it was a remote suburb with a mid-sized industrial estate, so it has come along way since then. But honestly I've never heard it described as one of the most sought after parts of the city. Big difference between there and D18/Foxrock village, but the latter is not going to be a hub of excitement either. It sounds like you might get the village convenience feel you're looking for by moving to Ranelagh or Rathmines, but you'll pay even more for your rent and shopping.

That said, I wouldn't move to an area based on the quality of the local Tesco. If anything I'd prefer to be away from the likes of the Blanch centre or Dundrum centre, but if that's where someone likes to spend their time, then it makes sense to live nearby.

You defo wouldn't move to Rathmines for the Tesco anyway ;)

OP, it depends where you live in South Dublin.
    All of that area is aimed towards families. Booterstown or Blackrock would be where I would pick if I had to move out there.

That said, I like the city. D6 all the way! Convenience of bars etc, easy to walk or bus into town, Luas out to Sandyford for work, lots of nice shops and great entertainment, taxis home for less than a tenner... And when it snows and there are no taxis to be got from town you can walk it in minutes.

I would live in South County Dublin if I was married with kids, and even then it would be a coastal spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭markpb

That would be because Sandyford is not a sought after area at all in the slightest. It's a giant Industrial estate.

That's not entirely true - it's just not sought after in the pretentious sense that you mean. The demand for housing (of any kind) in and around the industrial estate is enormous.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,858 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Sandyford industrial estate is a bit of an exception within its wider area. It could have been a nicely integrated residential/commercial mix however an absolute pigs ear was made of the scale and nature of the planning for the estate and even the developments that reached completion before the collapse are dog boxes, entirely unsuited to family living and community creation. They are only fit for corporate let and transient renters, and the demand is created from the high turnover of international workers at the Sandyford businesses.

Aside from that the wider areas of D14,16,18 and around Blackrock and Dun Laoghaire are among the most desirable in the city because they are well served by the best facilities, in the most scenic and well kept locations among well evolved and established communities. Maybe the community aspect is the most important there and although I come from Churchtown, I live in greater Blanchardstown and the community aspect is poor, with schools and public transport under huge pressure. I would return to the area I grew up in as a preference if I could afford to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

markpb wrote: »
    That's not entirely true - it's just not sought after in the pretentious sense that you mean. The demand for housing (of any kind) in and around the industrial estate is enormous.

Who'd want to live in an industrial estate?

Cookie is right. Sandyford is not an aspirational area, it is an industrial zone with some apartments tacked on. There's demand for housing in Tallaght also, but you'd never say it was a place you'd aspire to living in. The OP has erred in thinking a small part of SD is representative of the whole. Yes, most of SD is poorly served by public transport, but the Luas goes through the middle of it and sure they all own nice German cars anyway, so who needs dirty buses?

• Site Banned Posts: 34 Henry Gondorff

I live in the Beacon and absolutely love it.

Buses and Luas on my doorstep to mine and my missus' jobs, some great restaurants, cracking new steakhouse and late bar recently opened (Copper Bar), Dundrum SC withinm walking distance, No hassle with the neighbours, very quiet, great play area when my nephew comes over to stay.

In saying all that, as a northsider who moved to the dark side because my bird insisted upon it, I do miss my occasional daliances and brushes with the plod that 26 years living in North Inner City flats brought routinely :)

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Lad Of Banter

South County Dublin. One of the greatest areas of one of the greatest cities in Europe.

Dublin 2, Dublin 4, Dublin 6 & Dublin 8 are amongst the nicest places you can live.

Further out, the likes of Dundrum, Sandyford, Stillorgan are all served by the Luas Green Line, one of the finest modes of transport in the Western World.

Further out still, we have Dalkey, Killiney et al, served by bus & DART, you can easily findd some of the nicest bars, restaurants & ammenities in the country.

The Southside :cool:

South County Dublin. One of the greatest areas of one of the greatest cities in Europe.

Dublin 2, Dublin 4, Dublin 6 & Dublin 8 are amongst the nicest places you can live.

Further out, the likes of Dundrum, Sandyford, Stillorgan are all served by the Luas Green Line, one of the finest modes of transport in the Western World.

Further out still, we have Dalkey, Killiney et al, served by bus & DART, you can easily findd some of the nicest bars, restaurants & ammenities in the country.

In fairness, Dublin 8 is a complete sh*thole :D

• Advertisement

In fairness, Dublin 8 is a complete sh*thole :D

Yeah what a kip.

Horticulture%20at%20%C3%81ras%20an%20Uachtar%C3%A1in%20aerial%20view.png

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Yeah what a kip.

Conveniently forgetting Dolphins Barn, Inchicore. Island bridge etc

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭liffeylite

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Yeah what a kip.

Exactly!

Portobello is beautiful also. so close to the city centre but really nice buildings and a lot of history. A great main street in south Richmond street and plenty of great eateries and pubs bars cafes etc. The grand canal too.

Also the liberties can be rough around the edges sure, but lots of great creative initiatives going on there like the digital hub and all the markets. Dublin 8 will become more and more trendy I predict.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Whatever, Dublin 8 isn't 'South County Dublin' by any stretch. Not even 2, 4, or 6 are. Parts of D14 maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

Jakers lads. I've lived in south county Dublin all my life and I like it, but c'mon it's not quite as uniquely awesome as some folks are making out above. It's nice and all, but you can find awesome bits in all parts of Dublin and (shock, horror), even outside Dublin.

z

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I'll have a pint of what ever it is you're drinking!

Yeah to be fair there are a few distinctions and contradictions. Everything south of the liffey isnt south Dublin. Even South Dublin County, isnt 'South Dublin' its mainly west Dublin with some pretend 'South Dublin' areas like Rathfarnham thrown in.

What we're really saying is that Dublin 4 + Dublin 6 plus Dun laoghaire Rathdown is proper 'South Dublin' and is awesome. Q.E.D.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

Oh, and I thought it was just defined as "the area immediately surrounding zag", which occasionally makes East Point in Clontarf become part of SCD.

z

If I can see this on my way to work each morning (this is from Tuesday) then I'm happy to stay in South County Dublin.

1175078_10151979540775984_629895208_n.jpg

1240511_10151979535390984_344531794_n.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I love living in a village, with a villagey feel, yet is relatively cosmopolitan (by Irish standards anyway) but despite being surrounded by beautiful countryside and views (such as the view of Killiney bay above) is only twenty minutes from the centre of a bustling city.

Yeah, to be honest, south county Dublin ( my bit anyway) is the canine genitalia.

Advertisement