Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭doz

I'll PM you Doz, I posted that because other things I heard from the saem source have turned out to be true, but reluctant to add to much to the rumour mill all the same.

Thanks, I have been deliberately not naming players on the forum but I can understand that further info could lead to rumours spiralling even further.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭sid wallace

doz wrote: »
    With respect, any person who believes we had a genuine chance of winning an AI this year is completely deluded. Don't think you'll find many who feel that Cork, Limerick and Clare are inferior sides either. We're not far off them but these teams have been far more clinical in taking their scores when it counted. As has been mentioned several times, Michael Ryan wasn't firing wides to beat the band during the Championship.
    Eh well Waterford finished ahead of all these counties in the league - so how should we feel in any way inferior to them?

Should the players not have any opinion on who should manage the team? Aren't they best placed to assess the ability of the manager?

Yes, and yes, but there is a way of going about it and going around organising meetings to vote on a manager without having even half the panel present is not the way to do so. They have succeeded in dividing the panel at a time when it looked like we were in a good position going forward. They have also succeeded in angering supporters around the county.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭seananigans

Do you not think that if they had a proper coach they may have hit less wides? No?

then sack the coach, not the manager , listen troll ,off is the general direction i wish you to Fu*k

Yes, and yes, but there is a way of going about it and going around organising meetings to vote on a manager without having even half the panel present is not the way to do so. They have succeeded in dividing the panel at a time when it looked like we were in a good position going forward. They have also succeeded in angering supporters around the county.

Around the country(world) , just because we are not in Waterford doesn't mean we are not of Waterford

• Advertisement

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=internet%20troll

An internet troll is a person who uses anonymity to cause frustration, anger, impatience or to generally be disruptive for no seemingly good reason EXCEPT to be that nuisance.

Most are souless bastards, touched by daddy/priest, and in the stead of coping with that trauma in a healthy way, take out their aggression, anger, impotence, frustration on others.

-have problems forming real-life relationships; have a hard time attracting members of the opposite/same sex,generally introverts. Though some are 'trolls-in-hiding', most are skill-less loners.

General troll behavior:disruptive forum posts; the posts are generally off-topic, or unnecessarily combative. Each contemporary popular website has its own sub-genre of troll
    Get out of it. I'm a soulless bastard because I agree with the people who have first hand experience of Michael Ryan's management "skills" that he is a hopeless case?

Eh well Waterford finished ahead of all these counties in the league - so how should we feel in any way inferior to them?

Please don't tell me you are going to try and use our league finish as a justification for a belief that we should be challenging for a place in an AI final? There's no feeling of inferiority, but until we can put more scores on the board when it counts (ie) Championship, we will remain behind these teams.

Do you know how they organised the meeting?

Please don't tell me you are going to try and use our league finish as a justification for a belief that we should be challenging for a place in an AI final? There's no feeling of inferiority, but until we can put more scores on the board when it counts (ie) Championship, we will remain behind these teams.

Can we all agree to ignore/report the troll ?

We beat Limerick every time we met them since 2001 and we beat Clare every time since 1998 (until this year). Last year was the first time Cork beat us since 2006. Of course we are as good as these counties - if we had a decent set up.

• Advertisement

Can we all agree to ignore/report the troll ?

Can you not argue with people who don't share your view?

Do you know how they organised the meeting?

Well there was a meeting held at 11am last Sunday morning at which 11 players from the entire panel were present. Absent players were contacted by phone to ascertain their vote. If you're going to hold a meeting at least have a quorem, notwithstanding the fact that the number in favour of his removal was far from unanimous. You might think this sort of behaviour is acceptable, and each to their own, but we have no chance of winning an AI with this sort of behaviour and we are the laughing stock of the country yet again.

Well there was a meeting held at 11am last Sunday morning at which 11 players from the entire panel were present. Absent players were contacted by phone to ascertain their vote. If you're going to hold a meeting at least have a quorem, notwithstanding the fact that the number in favour of his removal was far from unanimous. You might think this sort of behaviour is acceptable, and each to their own, but we have no chance of winning an AI with this sort of behaviour and we are the laughing stock of the country yet again.

Yes and do you know how they organised the meeting? That was what you were cribbing about. We all know who turned up at the meeting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Sid, another manager might have got them less wides or maybe more wides so blaming Ryan for the wides is a red herring. Some of the shot selection from daft angles isn't Ryan's fault, thats common sense from anyone on a pitch in either Gaelic Football or hurling at any grade.

And as for how they organised the meeting and how the players felt about his style of management, we don't know because the players haven't said a word. A few people have come on here and said they know whats going on in the camp but say no more. When asked, they vanish or tell us that Ryan was this and that but never give any hard examples. I'm not saying you are the same as those that went before.

The only, and i repeat only, people who can tell us what went on at training and at the meeting and the background to it are the players. And they need to release a statement about this to WLR or the newspapers in Waterford. Ryan has spoken, quiet well in my mind, where he was level handed. Each day that goes by, the players will lose face and support for their actions. The majority who post on this thread seem to be going against the players too in my eyes.

We beat Limerick every time we met them since 2001 and we beat Clare every time since 1998 (until this year). Last year was the first time Cork beat us since 2006. Of course we are as good as these counties - if we had a decent set up.

Anyone can trot out results from the past to try and justify an opinion on the present. I have been at every Championship game this season, 3 of the league games, the Munster Final and the the semi-final last week and the fact of the matter is that Cork, Limerick and Clare have been better than us this year, albeit not by a whole lot. If you disagree that's your business and as optimistic a fan as I am, I am clearly never going to rival your levels of optimism and expectations!

Yes and do you know how they organised the meeting? That was what you were cribbing about. We all know who turned up at the meeting.

Again Sid, we don't until the players talk as its all rumour.

Please ignore the troll comment and stop fuelling him, he'll go away be removed soon .

by now they know they did wrong time to man up in true Déise style

chinguetti wrote: »
    Sid, another manager might have got them less wides or maybe more wides so blaming Ryan for the wides is a red herring. Some of the shot selection from daft angles isn't Ryan's fault, thats common sense from anyone on a pitch in either Gaelic Football or hurling at any grade.

And as for how they organised the meeting and how the players felt about his style of management, we don't know because the players haven't said a word. A few people have come on here and said they know whats going on in the camp but say no more. When asked, they vanish or tell us that Ryan was this and that but never give any hard examples. I'm not saying you are the same as those that went before.

The only, and i repeat only, people who can tell us what went on at training and at the meeting and the background to it are the players. And they need to release a statement about this to WLR or the newspapers in Waterford. Ryan has spoken, quiet well in my mind, where he was level handed. Each day that goes by, the players will lose face and support for their actions. The majority who post on this thread seem to be going against the players too in my eyes.
    I would have thought that the players are doing Ryan a great service by saying nothing. Do we really want to get into what the Cork players had to say about Gerald Mc Carthy? I don't. They've made their point. That's enough for me.

Anyone can trot out results from the past to try and justify an opinion on the present. I have been at every Championship game this season, 3 of the league games, the Munster Final and the the semi-final last week and the fact of the matter is that Cork, Limerick and Clare have been better than us this year, albeit not by a whole lot. If you disagree that's your business and as optimistic a fan as I am, I am clearly never going to rival your levels of optimism and expectations!

We left an All Ireland behind us this year. That's the reality.

Please ignore the troll comment and stop fuelling him, he'll go away be removed soon .

by now they know they did wrong time to man up in true Déise style
    Do you always react like this when people disagree with you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

Troll? Because I disagree with you?

Lookit. These players realise that they have been hobbled from the start of the year by having this chap in charge. If they didn't have this hopeless case running the team they would have had a once in a generation chance of winning an All Ireland. Instead three inferior outfits are battling it out for the big prize.

Did you ever ask yourself why Cody, JBM and Loughnane want Ryan to stay on? Because they want to hold Waterford back that's why.

Cork beat Waterford in the league and championship last year and they drew with Waterford in the league this year.I also think Cork Clare Limerick and Dublin have better forwards than Waterford but that's not the point.Would you be saying the disgraceful things that you are saying right now about Michael Ryan if Waterford beat Kilkenny this year?But yeah let's get rid of Michael Ryan and come next year they will be parading the McCarthy cup down the quay and the mall in Waterford City next september and for every other september after that just like what they do in Kilkenny nearly every year!

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

Well if we got some explanation from the people involved we might have a better opportunity to discuss it but the silence is deafening but I suppose that is acceptable to you too, call a meeting to remove a manager, not get even half the panel to turn up and then stay completely silent in the aftermath. Hardly an illustration of the moral courage you referred to previously. All we have to rely on is rumours which are getting more and more damning each day.

At this stage I would love some clarification from some of the players as I find myself unintentionally turning against some of them in my head.

We left an All Ireland behind us this year. That's the reality.

I don't think you'll find another person in the country who believes that, fair play to you for your optimism though!!!

Cork beat Waterford in the league and championship last year and they drew with Waterford in the league this year.I also think Cork Clare Limerick and Dublin have better forwards than Waterford but that's not the point.Would you be saying the disgraceful things that you are saying right now about Michael Ryan if Waterford beat Kilkenny this year?But yeah let's get rid of Michael Ryan and come next year they will be parading the McCarthy cup down the quay and the mall in Waterford City next september and for every other september after that just like what they do in Kilkenny nearly every year!

What did I say about Ryan that's disgraceful?

I don't think you'll find another person in the country who believes that, fair play to you for your optimism though!!!
    You'll find plenty. We should have beaten KK out the gate.

I would have thought that the players are doing Ryan a great service by saying nothing. Do we really want to get into what the Cork players had to say about Gerald Mc Carthy? I don't. They've made their point. That's enough for me.

They only people they are doing a service to is a diservice to everyone involved and with an ounce of love for Waterford GAA by their antics.

And if Ryan was as bad as we've all heard but no one has yet given any hard examples, why in the name of Christmas, will the players not speak?

You are only as goo as your last performance how we did oin 1998 has no bearing on how we do today ,while we might have a rich history, we are owed nothing and deserve nothing we have to be the best, scully is the best we can get right now at least, one puck of the ball and we beat KK ifor the first time in 54 years, to boil him down to 30 seconds form greatness is a joke.

we are great, whether we have success or not, because we have passion that is all that truly matters

• Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

What did I say about Ryan that's disgraceful?

Waterford were a puck of the ball away from beating Kilkenny and Michael Ryan was inches away from being the first Waterford manager to beat Kilkenny since John Keane in 1959.There's a fine margin between being a hero and the most useless gobsh!te going if your posts are anything to go by!

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

You are only as goo as your last performance how we did oin 1998 has no bearing on how we do today ,while we might have a rich history, we are owed nothing and deserve nothing we have to be the best, scully is the best we can get right now at least, one puck of the ball and we beat KK ifor the first time in 54 years, to boil him down to 30 seconds form greatness is a joke.

we are great, whether we have success or not, because we have passion that is all that truly matters
    If Scully Ryanis the best we can get we may throw our hats at it. Galway(who we've never lost to) Dublin ( who we are better than) and Cork(who a procession of decent managers made us realise we were better than) all beat Kilkenny in the last year. Why are we clapping ourselves on the back for not beating them?

• Advertisement

Waterford were a puck of the ball away from beating Kilkenny and Michael Ryan was inches away from being the first Waterford manager to beat Kilkenny since John Keane in 1959.There's a fine margin between being a hero and the most useless gobsh!te going if your posts are anything to go by!

Yes he failed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement