Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What makes a good childhood?

Options
  • 14-08-2013 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭

Sometimes we can get bogged down with the bad stuff and forget all the magical moments only kids can appreciate.

What did you love about your childhood that stuck with you your whole life?

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

lego, lots of lego

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

The innocence. I was a very innocent child (still am). Love to go back to that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

Swinging out of trees with no concern for my own safety or the safety of the lads who would do it next.

Everyone getting the tennis rackets out every June / July during Wimbledon.

Every day was a different adventure, you never knew where you'd end up when you left the house in the morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30,731 ✭✭✭✭princess-lala

Tip the can! Oh the memories :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

Tip the can! Oh the memories :D

TIP THE CAN I FREE ALL!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,715 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Good parents and lots of other children to play with.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,252 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Soft focus and a gentle acoustic soundtrack.

And flashbacks. Lots of flashbacks...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

long summer holidays building forts, playing football, getting into trouble etc!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30,731 ✭✭✭✭princess-lala

Epic childhood if you remember this :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Staying away from priests.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Not dying is a start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭HurtLocker

No! I saw you first and you started saying that before you touched the can! Your out!

A mini tribunal of 8 year olds would then commence on the technicalities of tip the can :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

Freedom.

No responsibilities, able to go 'out' with friends for hours without restriction. Parents never worried where 'out' was as long as you came home some time in the evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Christ the Redeemer

Fields and mountains and streams near by. Parents who don't hover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

I'd love that excitement you get as a child that you just don't get as an adult, no matter how good something is, it just can't reach that level when you're a child. I miss that a bit, but I had a great childhood in every way so I'm not greedy.

I don't think I've taken too much from my childhood tbh, I suppose I have a positive outlook because of it and can see that life can't always be so crap, even if it's not all as shiny and perfect as you're brought up to believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭denis160

52 bonkers, playing channels, swimming in the local river till we were shrivelled like prunes. Eating Patsy pops & 'who shot Jr's '. Cycling out to strawberry picking as we got older, having cycle or skate races, chasing cows in the field across the way, camping out in the garden, telling scarey Mary stories & waking up the parents at 3 to let you in! Summers seemed longer back then :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

A mother and a father.

- Mitt Romney

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 166 ✭✭Bananatop

Getting up bright and early at the weekend just to see what the day would bring......what optimism!

Edit : Spending time with children is far more valuable than just giving them a game and expecting them to play with it. So spending time with a child makes for a fantastic childhood.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

I knew my childhood was over the night I fell asleep on the couch and woke up on the couch :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭Mariasofia

Hit the kerb, lo-lo balls and hours of skipping :).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

The excitement around Christmas about Santa coming and when you find out he doesn't exist Christmas doesn't seem the same

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Sword fighting with bamboos, playing hide and seek, making things out of lego and sticklebricks, going to the zoo, having dogs and cats and other pets, playing cards, going to the beach, arguing with siblings, sports competitions, football, playing video games, making treehouses....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

hfallada wrote: »
    The excitement around Christmas about Santa coming and when you find out he doesn't exist Christmas doesn't seem the same

But you still pretend gor a few years anyway, just in case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭HurtLocker

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    I knew my childhood was over the night I fell asleep on the couch and woke up on the couch :(

Dude that's deep. Can I buy you a drink or something....

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

hfallada wrote: »

I wouldn't put it like that. For me, the moment I found out beyond doubt that Santy did exist, and he was me, made Christmas even better than it ever was!! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭Ilik Urgee

I find potato sacks best, if not an old curtain usually does the trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭b318isp

Time to do nothing in particular.

As a result, I cycled/read/walked/fixed stuff/played with toys/built airfix/listened to music/dossed/sat on walls/made up games/used my imaginatino. From this, I found out what I was good at and what I liked to do.

Nowadays, many kids are almost 100% occupied with texting and social networks. They risk not discovering the world around them nor who they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

b318isp wrote: »
    Time to do nothing in particular.

As a result, I cycled/read/walked/fixed stuff/played with toys/built airfix/listened to music/dossed/sat on walls/made up games/used my imaginatino. From this, I found out what I was good at and what I liked to do.

Nowadays, many kids are almost 100% occupied with texting and social networks. They risk not discovering the world around them nor who they are.

Mmm aye, oh aye - sitting on walls is absolutely vital, and you just don't see it done properly anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

Love
    No responsibilities
    No worries about money
    Seaside
    Christmas

To be fair, I can still have 3 of the above 5.

Money and responsibilities though - a threat to innocence and happiness every time.

I look at my (very young) children now and one of my main aims is to keep them innocent, worry free and fun loving for as long as I can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭sok2005

All the kids in my area used to have jumble sales where we'd sell our old tat to each other for pennies. One girl started making sandwiches and soup and selling it there, the entrepreneurial git make a fortune!

Advertisement