Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ikea buys windfarm to power Dublin and Belfast stores

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

I hope they have to assemble the turbines themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30,731 ✭✭✭✭princess-lala

Saves on ESB bills I suppose, then they can sell back the leftovers to ESB!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

The cable probably goes out to Rockall and back between the turbine and the store.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,415 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Windfarms are a freaking uneconomical unsightly feel good green joke.I chop them down with the back of my hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

I wonder will other big chains such as Tescos follow suit, going green will always be a positive and generate some decent publicity. It might also encourage a new system of building smaller scale wind farms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

WïNDMïLL?

kneemos wrote: »
    Windfarms are a freaking uneconomical unsightly feel good green joke.I chop them down with the back of my hand.

Jesus you must be massive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,221 ✭✭✭NuckingFacker

I support this fully. A great move. I have my own windfarm in my jocks, it delivers a serious amount of power - gas altogether when it is blowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,480 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

They will generate 25GWh of electricity
    no they won't, the odd time they might but for the most part they'll get nowhere near this figure and Ikea will still buy plenty of thermally generated power.

Why not do something actually useful like put PV solar on the store roofs and water collection systems?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

JJayoo wrote: »

He a voodoo Chile...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Half the turbines will have extra blades and the other half will be missing one.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭miggins

Only jungle is massive

Windpower is brilliant - it brings carbon credits, grants, massive installation contracts, huuge Eu subsidies, enormous construction fees, massive rents, Tax concessions etc etc. About all it doesn't do is generate useable, viable electricity. Apart from that, it's brilliant! Go green power! Lets save the environment....by building huuge sh1t....yay.

Windpower is brilliant - it brings carbon credits, grants, massive installation contracts, huuge Eu subsidies, enormous construction fees, massive rents, Tax concessions etc etc. About all it doesn't do is generate useable, viable electricity. Apart from that, it's brilliant! Go green power! Lets save the environment....by building huuge sh1t....yay.

Some new battery innovations may bring the solution.

"Currently the electrical grid cannot tolerate large and sudden power fluctuations caused by wide swings in sunlight and wind. As solar and wind's combined contributions to an electrical grid approach 20 percent, energy storage systems must be available to smooth out the peaks and valleys of this "intermittent" power -- storing excess energy and discharging when input drops"

"The new Stanford/SLAC battery design uses only one stream of molecules and does not need a membrane at all. Its molecules mostly consist of the relatively inexpensive elements lithium and sulfur, which interact with a piece of lithium metal coated with a barrier that permits electrons to pass without degrading the metal. When discharging, the molecules, called lithium polysulfides, absorb lithium ions; when charging, they lose them back into the liquid. The entire molecular stream is dissolved in an organic solvent, which doesn't have the corrosion issues of water-based flow batteries.

"In initial lab tests, the new battery also retained excellent energy-storage performance through more than 2,000 charges and discharges, equivalent to more than 5.5 years of daily cycles," Cui said."

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/04/130424140603.htm

Oh yeah, I forgot, it also brings a massive boon for battery manufacturers. Anyone who has switched off their car engine(oil btw...:D)and relied on their battery to run the radio, lights and interior fan knows how well that's going. UUUgh,uugh,ugh,gh,h..........Luckily, Apple iPhones and Laptops have benefitted from battery technology advances and now only need charging eeerrr, constantly..

Good for you nucking, don't ever let not reading a link hold you back from guessing what it's about and then commenting on it.

Good for you nucking, don't ever let not reading a link hold you back from guessing what it's about and then commenting on it.

Two things I don't understand is how they will save money and how they will be totally run on green energy by 2020.

Two things I don't understand is how they will save money and how they will be totally run on green energy by 2020.

Well the link I posted was only about a new grid storage battery system for storing renewable energy so I don't know. But I am assuming there are some big EU grants for such Green energy stuff, or maybe IKEA just have soooooooooooo much cash they want to splash some of it on doing green stuff.

I'll try hard not to. :)
    Well the link I posted was only about a new grid storage battery system for storing renewable energy so I don't know. But I am assuming there are some big EU grants for such Green energy stuff, or maybe IKEA just have soooooooooooo much cash they want to splash some of it on doing green stuff.
    See, wait and someone will tell..You're sort of contradicting your own self there. :D Windpower is like electric cars - great ideaish, but you'd better not be relying on it, or the fancy battery.

Make something that is already uneconomical more expensive by adding huge battery storage.Mad as hatters.

• Advertisement

Make something that is already uneconomical more expensive by adding huge battery storage.Mad as hatters.
    But, but, Kneemos..them batteries are eco-friendly man! They dig up all the toxic stuff using green shovels dude, and rabbits build them, c'mon man, you're just being a luddite.. and when they're worn out, they make them into water-parks for disadvantaged kids... get with it, ffs...

The real kicker with all this GUFF, is that it affects everyone -the price of electricity is going up and up, because the level of subsidies paid to the fruit-bat squad have to come from somwhere, and guess where that is - you and me and our old stylee electricity. If all subsidies were removed, two things would happen - no-one would mention windfarms and electricity would be much cheaper for everyone.. which is even madder..

Solar/ wind energy is only uneconomical because there is no easy/cost effective way of storing the energy created. The battery innovation I linked will allow this energy to be stored, but lads don't let relevant information get in the way :rolleyes:

PS so excited for Nucking's next "funny" post, because the last one was great with the rabbits and stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

no they won't, the odd time they might but for the most part they'll get nowhere near this figure and Ikea will still buy plenty of thermally generated power.

Why not do something actually useful like put PV solar on the store roofs and water collection systems?

Maybe you should look up the difference between power and energy.

For anyone who'd like to check the actual stats for how much energy we generate from wind all the stats and 15 min hourly data going back several years are available on Eirgrids website. Last time I checked we generated about 18% of our total electrical energy consumption from wind (in 2012), which is roughly the same percentage wise as the UK gets from nuclear.

pljudge321 wrote: »
    Maybe you should look up the difference between power and energy.

For anyone who'd like to check the actual stats for how much energy we generate from wind all the stats and 15 min hourly data going back several years are available on Eirgrids website. Last time I checked we generated about 18% of our total electrical energy consumption from wind (in 2012), which is roughly the same percentage wise as the UK gets from nuclear.

It's not the quantity it's the cost of the power they generate and the enviromental damage they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭josip

It's not the quantity it's the cost of the power they generate and the enviromental damage they do.

Aren't most innovations costly initially? The environmental damage is a factor alright, especially when they're installed in bogs, but are the alternatives much better? How much concrete would a new power station require compared to the equivalent number of turbines? How much does the UK spend each year "dealing" with waste reactor plutonium?

PV was also mentioned, but I thought from my solar panel purchasing days that PV was fairly unsuited to Ireland (except this summer). If PV continues to improve in efficency will it become a more viable option for Ireland rather than wind?

Are there any efficiency gains left to squeeze out of wind turbines or is the primary focus now on storage?

Finally, I thought that a luddite was someone who is opposed to a new technology rather than someone who was a proponent of it. Have I misunderstood something?

josip wrote: »
    Aren't most innovations costly initially? The environmental damage is a factor alright, especially when they're installed in bogs, but are the alternatives much better? How much concrete would a new power station require compared to the equivalent number of turbines? How much does the UK spend each year "dealing" with waste reactor plutonium?

PV was also mentioned, but I thought from my solar panel purchasing days that PV was fairly unsuited to Ireland (except this summer). If PV continues to improve in efficency will it become a more viable option for Ireland rather than wind?

Are there any efficiency gains left to squeeze out of wind turbines or is the primary focus now on storage?

Finally, I thought that a luddite was someone who is opposed to a new technology rather than someone who was a proponent of it. Have I misunderstood something?

We already have the power stations,turbines aren't replacing anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Because it's easier to do what they're doing instead of going through Ireland's incredibly complex planning laws for such things?

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Mad_Dave

It's not the quantity it's the cost of the power they generate.

I believe that the latest figures from this year show that new wind installations are approximately 20% cheaper than new coal plants and 15% cheaper than gas, although I'm open to contradiction.
    Of course under the current system of regulation all power providers are paid the same price per MW as the most expensive provider on the network, so introducing a small amount of wind while still using coal will not lower the cost of electricity. However as more wind is introduced, and new/more storage methods are - such as coupling wind farms with pumped hydro schemes - the more expensive stations can be taken offline and the base cost of electricity should fall.

The only gripe I have with wind power is how the figures are manipulated in the media. For example the new ikea site is said to be 7.6MW. Yes, at rated wind speed. However, rated wind speed is around 2 times the average wind speed at the site, and since power output is calculated using wind speed cubed, the actually power output from the site over the year is alot less. Likewise the costs are always reported as cost per MW installed, which are alot lower than cost per MW produced.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭josip

We already have the power stations,turbines aren't replacing anything.
    Wouldn't the power stations have to be replaced at some stage?

• Advertisement

Wind energy is also in it's infancy. Japan have been pumping cash into developing their wind energy sector since the tsunami fcuked up their confidence in nuclear energy. They have developed a new type of turbine called the wind lense turbine which increases energy production 2-3 times.

IMO this new technology would/could make it much more attractive for individuals to erect their own turbines in private land as a smaller turbine 6-8 meter turbine could generate as much energy as the max size,10m, turbines.

Advertisement