Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Putting people in their place.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

So today my OH was buying a smart phone and the assistant was loving showing off how tech savy she was when she asked " You have wifi dont you" in a patronising way.
    My OH looked at me quizingly to which I replied " yea, we have two of them"
    This shut her right up and we bought the phone and insurance and left.
    Have you ever put some wise crack in their place?

I think the only reason she shut up was because she thought your OH wasn't capable of responding to simple questions and that talking to them further was pointless.

But ya, buying that phone and insurance really put her in her place i bet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

Her only response to your "yes we have two" would have been "do you know what wifi is?" which actually might have been a bit patronising.

I find in work we get told we are being unhelpful know it alls when we aren't telling people what they want to hear. As in when you point out to them that they are not covered for something and they say "It doesn't say that in the stuff I've got here" and you say "page 2, top of the page, in bold". Reponse "there's no need to be so patronising". Um, I'm not being patronising just because you now feel stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,856 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Totally lost as to wtf is going on. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Totally lost as to wtf is going on. :confused:

Everybody is putting the OP in her place.
    Simples.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Joe10000

I was asked if I had a club card and I was like NO ! and then she said do you want one so I said oh my god NO !

That told her.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 14 Gone Anon

So today my OH was buying a smart phone and the assistant was loving showing off how tech savy she was when she asked " You have wifi dont you" in a patronising way.

You mean she put you in your place cos you bought the phone AND insurance? You do know she earns tons of commission on anyone stupid enough to buy phone insurance policies which are notoriously impossible to claim on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

Could someone check on Lando lads,he hasnt been out of his room all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭BQQ

I sense a subtle troll by the OP.
    He's sitting back and loving all the replies.

Well played, sir.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

BQQ wrote: »
    I sense a subtle troll by the OP.
    He's sitting back and loving all the replies.

Well played, sir.

Really people like posting vague statements to garner negative responses???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

efb wrote: »
    Really people like posting vague statements to garner negative responses???

Yeah I wondered that too, why the hell would people post in the hope of getting abused:confused:

• Advertisement

My spidey senses are also saying 'troll'

Surely no one with that post count could misjudge a thread so badly

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

So, if I understand it correctly, the salesperson asked a legitimate question about your connectivity requirements, you answered in a way that both demonstrated your complete lack of technological knowledge and made you look like a fool, and you then purchased the phone and insurance. That salesperson will be telling the story of the guy with two wifis for years to come.

OP: do you have one of these by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,704 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Could the OP be referring to his other half here and not the sales assistant?

Still does not solve the mystery of the two Wi-Fi's though:(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 14 Gone Anon

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Could the OP be referring to his other half here and not the sales assistant?

Still does not solve the mystery of the two Wi-Fi's though:(

Possibly. No holes for him so

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Sinfonia wrote: »

What's the difference, you're their all-time best seller!

Yeah? Well I had sex with your wife!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Was in Dublin somewhere getting lunch and was sitting across from an American couple. A motorcycle courier came in with a small box and gave it to someone behind the bar, got a signature and left.

The lady says to the man 'what was that about?' to which he replied 'We had them at home before we had email they are called couriers' and as he said this his eyes met mine.

I looked at him and said 'Yes that's right, unfortunately we haven't rolled out teleporters here in Ireland and still need people to hand deliver packages.

But we do have teleporters in Ireland

http://www.allplant.ie/teleporters.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

I think the OP made a mistake and accidentally the whole thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

Maybe OP doesn't remember what happened correctly.
    What if the sales lady was a Scottish woman he had tried to chat up one time who actually said "You have a wife, aye?" and was accusing him of being an infidel.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Elbaston

Everybody is putting the OP in her place.
    Simples.

Yeah,I was just thinking the same thing. Its some kind of irony thread from a high intellect trolling us in ways we can't perceive.

While telling the OP that he has sand in his vagina, we're putting him in his place, thus having sand in our own collective vagina.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭shampooman

I think the OP was so annoyed by the sale assistant's attitude ( looking down on their apparent lack of tech savy) that she responded to her question in a silly way. That's my theory or then maybe it was the worst retort back in the history of ham sandwiches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

OP That has to be the worst put down I have ever read, it was so bad that I wept slightly for the state of humanity.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

I can only assume the sales person in question was very condescending in how she asked the question, in a sort of "do you even know what WiFi is?" sort of way.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

So today my OH was buying a smart phone.................

Why the fuk do people start sentences with the word so?

It makes no sense and looks ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Lapin wrote: »

So what?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭7ofBrian

Lapin wrote: »

So that we can piss off people like you ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭bogwalrus

I had to put my psychology hat on for this one. (skip to the last two lines for the answer to the mystery two Wifi's)

What I think happened is the OP was getting annoyed with all the tech talk as it was going over her head.

The OP was then insulted by the Wifi question because for some it can be considered a luxury and something that hip, cool tech savy people have in their homes.

This was also something the OP knew something about as she spent many months complaining to Eircom why the internet kept cutting out. Eircom would keep telling her to make sure the cable is connected to the router to which the OP would reply "what is a router"? The Eircom tech team would then explain to her her how the router worked. This eventually led to them offering her a new up to date router which had Wifi. This was the OP's first experience with the Wifi.

It eventually arrived in the post and she got her son to install it (for obvious reasons). Her son then went back to college so she was left to sort out any further problems herself. On a wet Monday morning the internet stopped working while the OP was looking up gluten free recipes for her cat misty. She called Eircom to say the new Wifi stopped working. They tried to help her with the issue but it was far too technical for her to understand (what do you mean the internet is in the air?). This made the OP very mad as they were talking some sort of smart ass technical limbo she could not understand so she told them to send her out a new wifi or she will close her account (that will show them).

Her son came back from college the following weekend. OP asked him to install the new Wifi as the other one was broken to which the son replied "No it isn't". The son said to his mom that your not supposed to plug the computer into the new router as the signal is wireless. Plugging a cable in will just mess up the settings and cause the connection to be conflicted.

Poor Timmy was then grounded for being a tech savy smart arse to his mother. (That will show him)

So in summary that is how OP came to have two Wifi's. The OP thinks Wifi is the thing the Wifi comes from i.e the router.

bogwalrus wrote: »
    I had to put my psychology hat on for this one. .....
    I'd get rid of that hat, doesnt suit you:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Nemeses

wil wrote: »
    I'd get rid of that hat, doesnt suit you:)

Thinking hats are the way to go I believe..

Nemeses wrote: »
    Thinking hats are the way to go I believe..
    Cap.

Hats prevent adequate bloodflow to the thinking part of the head

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Nemeses

wil wrote: »
    Cap.

Hats prevent adequate bloodflow to the thinking part of the head

I stand corrected, I do apologise!

These are the same caps with the propellers on them isn't it?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement