Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leisure battery

Options
  • 07-07-2013 6:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭

Help out a novice...should the leisure battery be charged by the alternator when under way? Mine ran nearly flat today with the fridge running.

There is a three position battery condition meter on the dash...do I have to leave this in any particular position to get the battery to charge?

It's on mains now and the battery charger light is on, but there is a "mains " position and the light goes off if I throw the switch to this position.

I really need an elementary lesson in battery power I think...can anyone help me out? (Fridge did work when on battery only before I drove it today)

Comments

What size is your leisure battery (bank)?
    What type is the fridge? Do you know the current rating of the fridge?
    Can you get or do you have a multimeter?
    Can you post photos of both switches?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

11rvwit.jpg
    35mmdug.jpg
    35m13bb.jpg
    33enekx.jpg

Been plugged into mains all afternoon, fridge still warm, charger hot. I just switched it to the "mains" position as shown, no light on now....is one position for charging from the alternator perhaps and the "mains" position for charging from the mains?. That would make sense to me

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭AutostratusEB

This is a common problem and there's a good few threads on it on the forum.

When it happened to me, the cause was a break in the connection between the relay on the engine battery side and the leisure battery, which meant that the A) the leisure battery wasn't being charged whilst driving and B) the fridge was drawing it's 12v supply whilst underway from the (uncharging) leisure battery.
    Re-establishing this connection solved the problem. Finding the bad connection is the hardest part. As it turned out, in my case it was a disconnected lead right at the engine battery.

Hope this helps a bit.

interesting. When I first got it working, I found that the live to the relay controlling the main power to the fridge wasn't live, and I couldn't trace the wire back to the dash or engine bay, so I swapped the live off another socket that did work and that did open the relay and run the fridge. This live came from a fused supply, I must check that fuse hasn't blown.

I will also check the relay under the bonnet and it's connections.

I think an auto-electrician might be quicker!

To pass the DoE, the battery needed to be secured and I wonder if the mechanic has disconnected something he shouldn't have, I did check for stray wires, but I will take out the battery completley in case I missed one. (I checked all the many fuses under the bonnet and all were good.)

My main problem is not knowing what each switch and box actually does and how it should be set up correctly.

corktina wrote: »
    There is a three position battery condition meter on the dash...do I have to leave this in any particular position to get the battery to charge?

I suspect not. It's likely just a meter but if you can check these I may be able to tell you more:

• Can you tell me what the meter in the dash reads according to the three positions of the switch?
    • Can you verify these reading with a DC multimeter with A: the engine battery and B: the leisure battery?
    • Can you tell me what the meter in the dash reads according to the three positions of the switch again this time with the engine running?
    Disconnect your hook up lead before running the engine just in case.

Been plugged into mains all afternoon, fridge still warm, charger hot. I just switched it to the "mains" position as shown, no light on now....is one position for charging from the alternator perhaps and the "mains" position for charging from the mains?.

I'm not familiar with your charger. I suspect it's one position for "mains on" and one position for "mains off"...ie. charging from mains and not charging. Alternator charging may be automatic from a relay or switched elsewhere. I also suspect the switch is installed upside-down....as you say the light comes on in the off position. Disconnect your mains hook up and see if you can pry it out, then check for twisted wires at the back of the switch and rotate it 180° in an unraveling direction. If it won't happily rotate or the wires aren't twisted then show me a photo of the back of it...it may just be that you have to swap two wires and re-install (or the laziest way is to write new labels on a piece of tape).

Chargers often get hot if it's less than about 70°C and ventilated I wouldn't worry about it, it's just working hard.
    interesting. When I first got it working, I found that the live to the relay controlling the main power to the fridge wasn't live, and I couldn't trace the wire back to the dash or engine bay, so I swapped the live off another socket that did work and that did open the relay and run the fridge. This live came from a fused supply, I must check that fuse hasn't blown.

Which live to relay? Switched live or battery live? Could it have been a live switched off the ignition?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭AutostratusEB

Cool. It sounds like you are on the case and are pretty familiar with vehicle electrics. I'd say it's definately a stray connection. Relays do and can go faulty ( relays can be tested if ya google a bit) but check the obvious stuff first. Word is it's trial and and error, but I think you are on the right track. When it happened to me I thought the leisure battery had **** the bed and I replaced it before checking other stuff, so don't panic!
    best,
    A

Check the ground continuity too. Good connection from Leisure battery negative to chassis.

I'd say it's definately a stray connection. Relays do and can go faulty ( relays can be tested if ya google a bit) but check the obvious stuff first.

Aye most common faults in order;
    • Blown fuse,
    • Bad ground
    • Loose connection

You can check a relay by listening, or by touching the insulated part while they operate. They make a solid electromagnetic tick.
    It sounds like you are on the case and are pretty familiar with vehicle electrics.
    ..tehehe, nah! Can't read an automotive circuit diagram me, I just hard-wire everything off the cigarette lighter :D

position one on dash is for vehcle battery (i assume) reads 12v or so
    middle position reads zero (OFF?)
    position three is for leisure battery (I assume), started off at 12v ish , varies between 9 and 10v now depending if fridge is off or on

relay wire that switches on the relay to power the fridge was dead and appears out of the bodyside...not traced under dash, at ignition switch or under bonnet Adjacent to the fridge switch is an unused socket , with a live feed from a fused source, not controlled from ignition switch. I switched this wire to control the fridge relay, which worked. (Might have needed abigger fuse for the fridge perhaps, haven't checked that yet.(dark)

Seems to me that the leisure battery is not charging from the alternator as I drive, that would point to another relay I guess, there is one next to the battery (see pic)..i'll start there,

I don't have a multi-meter and wouldn't be confident to use one correctly.

Pos 1 = engine battery
    Pos 2 = off
    Pos 3 = leisure battery

Don't drop your battery below 12.2 volts you're gonna hurt it.

What do you mean body side? Easier turn the ignition on (not engine start) and see if you get 12v rather than chasing it.
    Beware if you have to use a fuse bigger than a 15amp likely you need to use thicker wires too.

Better have a meter than messing with unknowns if you ask me..much safer. Easier diagnose too.

• Advertisement

The common source of charge for the leisure battery is switched from the D+ (often a diode, sometimes a fuse). This can be picked up at the fuse box, behind the battery light in the dash or unlikely at the back of the alternator . Once you find that relay you can check everything there....with a multimeter.

It's quite easy use and safe as long as you don't connect it while turning the engine on.

no the fridge is wired with a relay which is switched by a wire from a fuse to a switch to the relay. Main power to the fridge is a much thicker wire as you'd expect.The wire I have diverted is merely switching the relay on.

Original dead wire appears from a void area and the other end of it I can not trace.

I suspect that the fuse here has blown which would explain the fridge not working (will check tomorrow) but the main issue is the leisure battery is not charging from (or so it seems to me) the alternator

The common source of charge for the leisure battery is switched from the D+ (often a diode, sometimes a fuse). This can be picked up at the fuse box, behind the battery light in the dash or unlikely at the back of the alternator . Once you find that relay you can check everything there....with a multimeter.

It's quite easy use and safe as long as you don't connect it while turning the engine on.
    there are two wires from the alternator, where I would normally expect one, I imagine one going to each battery, so I check each connection and see what happens.

Does the alternator charge both batteries simultaneously (when it works properly)

Is the battery not charging on mains? Give the battery a full charge. Then let the battery rest 24hr and try checking position 3 (leisure battery), with A: no load and B: fridge on.
    It's also possible the battery has given up the will to live.
    A: will tell you how much charge it's losing and B:will tell you how much it has left to give.

not charging fully from the mains, I'm not even sure it is charging at all ...battery could well be ancient although it was at 12v+ when i first got the fridge to work

at present the voltage drops when you switch on the fridge from about 10v to 9v (the lowest reading on the gauge). Recovers a few seconds after switchng off the fridge.

I think I need an auto electrician

there are two wires from the alternator, where I would normally expect one, I imagine one going to each battery, so I check each connection and see what happens.

No need if your engine battery is charging it's working.

There's usually one or three wires I think. (can anyone else verify:confused:)
    They generally go to your starter motor, engine battery via fuseboard and dash light IIRC.

The leisure battery charge will be taken off indirectly as it's non-standard for a factory and would be added further down the production line. If there isn't a relay within eye-shot of the alternator I doubt it's there.
    Does the alternator charge both batteries simultaneously (when it works properly)

Simple answer; yes when wired to do so. (Think of it like a set of jump leads...which is what I used for my first camper year :rolleyes:)
    Actually what happens is the batteries charge each other until they equalise and the alternator tops them up.

A weak battery will rest at near 12v when unloaded but drops away immediately when you load it (because it can't hold amps).
    If it's not taking or holding charge then it's a dud. They usually only last 3-5 years when they're maintained.

but the main issue is the leisure battery is not charging from (or so it seems to me) the alternator

Try turning on your engine and flick the dash switch to position 3, If you are getting more than 13volt here then your connections are good, the alternator is sending charge to the leisure battery but the battery won't accept it.
    Leaving the bad battery theory the last one standing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

If you want I'd have a look at it for you .

been thinking about it whilst I sleep

Fridge is OK I assume as the needle drops when you turn it on, so circuit is OK here

second wire from back of alternator is definately not factory (it has a "chocolate block" connector in it!)

battery seems likely to me (How does the fridge NOT draw power from the vehicle battery? That would be the relay I assume, seen in the battery picture above.)

First job today i to check out that wiring from the alternator to the second battery

• Advertisement

OK, looks like panic over....first thing I found tracing the second alternator wire was a hidden inline fuse, which was blown...replaced and seems to be charging now

Thanks for all your help peeps, hopefully I have solved the mystery!

Thanks for all your help peeps, hopefully I have solved the mystery!

Happy days, automotive electrics is a black art.
    How does the fridge NOT draw power from the vehicle battery? That would be the relay I assume, seen in the battery picture above.

If should remain off as long as the switched (signal) live to the relay is not energised.

..tehehe, nah! Can't read an automotive circuit diagram me, I just hard-wire everything off the cigarette lighter :D

tehehe I remembered last night that I never had a cigarette lighter to begin with...that's wired off the hazard lights. ...of course it get's hot it's a cigarette lighter! :D;)

If should remain off as long as the switched (signal) live to the relay is not energised.

:D;)

Now you worried me about something, so I checked.
    In the pic of the battery there is a blue box which I took to be a relay... both red terminals are live all the time, and the two ends of the circuit are the red terminals of the batteries. The third wire is what I took to be the switching -on wire (to coin a phrase)...this is dead all the time and goes to a third terminal on the alternator along with a couple of other wires from god knows where. (Fourth wire is earth)

I would have expected this thin wire to be dead when the engine is off and be live when you start up and "switch on " the relay connecting the two batteries.

what thinkest thou Oh Noble Knight? seems to me that both batteries are connected together all the time

by now you gather the wiring is a bit of a mess!

Now you worried me about something, so I checked.
    In the pic of the battery there is a blue box which I took to be a relay... both red terminals are live all the time, and the two ends of the circuit are the red terminals of the batteries. The third wire is what I took to be the switching -on wire (to coin a phrase)...this is dead all the time and goes to a third terminal on the alternator along with a couple of other wires from god knows where. (Fourth wire is earth)

Sounds like something is amiss alright, you should have three lives and one ground.
    Signal live from switch return (switched on, thin cable), battery live (always on, chunky cable), live to appliance/leisure battery from relay (switched on by relay clicking) and Ground IRCC. The switch energises an electromagnet which makes a connection to the appliance by being pulled forcefully into contact and linking the battery live and appliance/leisure battery live.

Is the fridge always on?
    I would have expected this thin wire to be dead when the engine is off and be live when you start up and "switch on " the relay connecting the two batteries.

Should do.
    what thinkest thou Oh Noble Knight? seems to me that both batteries are connected together all the time

They're not, if they were the readings on Pos A. & Pos C. in your dash meter would always be the same.
    What I've done in mine is I ran the switched live to a sexy missile toggle switch in the dash, fairly idiot proof that way. I didn't bother with the relay I just used 400amp cable on 30A fuses (at both battery positives).
    If it's causing you duress sometimes the easiest solution is pull it all out and start again doing it your way.

by now you gather the wiring is a bit of a mess!

I could tell that from the photo :)

I'm a little confused though as I understand it, you have two relays? One for fridge and on for alternator charge, can you give each a prefix in future?

no fridge isn't always on...theres a switch inside the van which opens a relay to run the fridge.

I was wondering myself whether I could run a live from the ignition switch or some conveniant point to the relayunder the bonnet (via a switch ) to open that one to the battery...that relay seems to me to be banjaxed anyway (I'm still assuming it's a relay....)

It's been on main charge, both needles read about 12 v and I'm trying the fridge now....faidc

If you're putting a switch on the relay it's easier go straight from the engine battery. The reason people use the dash battery light is because it becomes an automated switch to the appropriate circuit.

If you are just looking for an ignition switched live there's usually one in the radio/hot hair blower/overhead light/electric windows/electric mirrors/seat (belt warning light)/cigarette lighter (depending on vehicle), probably a few more if you look around.

I'd really advise getting a digital multi-meter before you proceed too far, it'll make life much easier and potentially save you from discarding or damaging working kit (last time I mention it, promise).

ah well I do have and am using an old fashion circuit tester so I know what works and what doesn't.

I feel that relay must be faulty if it's live on both sides permanently...I'm going to replace that (have a new one somewhere) and run a lead from live via a switch to the signal terminal. I shall have to check out what the other wire(s) on the back of the alternator do,obviously they don't work either, probably that's where the non-working wire on the other relay ends up.

ah well I do have and am using an old fashion circuit tester so I know what works and what doesn't.

Fair enough. Just gotta watch out for polarity...the amount of stuff I've blown up...:rolleyes:...plenty-a spares round here.
    I feel that relay must be faulty if it's live on both sides permanently
    You could try hitting it a few times and shake the be-jaysus outtov it...the return spring for the electromagnet is probably stuck.
    ...I'm going to replace that (have a new one somewhere) and run a lead from live via a switch to the signal terminal. I shall have to check out what the other wire(s) on the back of the alternator do,obviously they don't work either, probably that's where the non-working wire on the other relay ends up.

Best of luck.

You can by-pass the relay if you're careful. Might spark a bit if you have a load on...that's where the common sense and insulated tools come in handy.

both batteries are chrging but I feel the leisure one is feeding off the vehicle one....new battery needed probably..we'll see once I've sorted relay out.shame they have different terminals, other wise I'd swap em over

• Advertisement

Doesn't really matter when they're charging, as long as you aren't start/stopping every 30mins, one is just taking more amps than the other. They'll never be the same.
    Likely your alternator is in the region of 60Ah it'll soon make up the difference.

I'd leave them how they are. At the end of the day it's the engine battery you need the most.

Advertisement