Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Everything Counts (In Large Amounts)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭FrClintPower

Competing agendas this week. On one hand, this week is probably the key week as far as the Fingal 10k is concerned, sessions this week would probably be key to getting the best time possible. On the other hand, I've been on holidays and the legs have definitely been feeling it since I've upped the mileage over the last few weeks. In the end, the path of least resistance won out so it's been a pretty low mileage and easy-running week so far. Great weather down here all week, and heading home tomorrow for another two weeks off with a heatwave on the cards, hurrah!

Tuesday 2 July - 4.00 miles in 35.26, 8.52 per mile

Trails around the hotel again. Heavy tree cover in places so the Garmin's not been very accurate - according to its track I managed to run significant distances across water during this run.

Thursday 4 July - 4.17 miles in 38.01, 9.06 per mile

Garmin acted up again on this, so it recorded no distance for the first couple of minutes before I noticed.

Friday 5 July - 6.25 miles in 56.08, 8.59 per mile Ave HR 141

Got up early and drove over towards Cobh for a change of scene this morning. Parked by the Cross River Ferry and set off towards the town, lovely bright morning but the hands were chilly for a while. I'd decided to knock the 400s session on the head this week to give the legs a rest, but came across a hill in Cobh (Spy Hill) which was made for hill sprints so I did 5 30-second sprints before the legs turned to jelly. Would have liked to have gone further on this run but the sprints really took it out of me so was happy enough to call it a day at 10k.

Sunday 7 July - 10.05 miles in 1.22.19, 8.11 per mile

As I hadn't done a session earlier in the week, I decided to bring forward next week's fourth and final McMillan session to today. I seem to recall reading elsewhere that it takes 10-14 days to benefit from a session so doing it today would be better for the Fingal 10k.

Almost perfect conditions for running at the Fifteen Acres at 8 this morning, overcast, mild, slightly drizzly and a very light breeze. Having had a 1.5 mile warm-up the legs were feeling pretty good by the time I got there, but I had been debating all the way there whether I'd just do an LSR, I kind of sprung the session on myself at the last minute so I hadn't had time to really psyche myself up. The plan was for 3*2 miles at 6.55 pace and the times were as follows (again with half-mile paces in brackets) -

Interval 1 - 2 miles in 13.46 @6.53 (6.44, 6.57, 7.04, 6.46)
    Interval 2 - 2 miles in 13.47 @6.53 (7.04, 6.56, 6.47, 6.48)
    Interval 3 - 2 miles in 13.42 @6.51 (6.50, 7.06, 6.57, 6.31)

So job done, an average overall pace of 6.53, and very happy with both that and how consistent it was overall. The pace dropped a bit on each interval as I turned into the gale force wind gentle breeze which also coincided with the uphill part of the loop. That was particularly difficult for the second interval where I had to do that stretch twice. I had to dig deep to bring the overall average down on that one, especially knowing I had another two mile rep to go.

That's the end of the McMillan 10k sessions for now anyway, and I'm glad I've done them. They provided a good bit of structure to build a 10k plan around over the last 6 weeks, even if they maybe haven't been ideal for me at this point. Tough but doable and I've no doubt they'll stand to me on the day. I'm still a bit daunted by the thought of stringing together 6 and a bit of those miles together but I can only hope that race-day adrenaline etc does the job. My respect for the sub-3 hour marathoners who put together 26+ of them has gone through the roof! My HR peaked at the end of the second rep at 177bpm, which is pretty close to my max, usually it as averaging in the low 170s during the pace miles, so hopefully I can sustain that on the day.

The warm-down was a half mile of gentle strolling followed by a mile and a bit of gentle jogging. There was very few people in the park when I got there first but by the time I got home I had seen hundreds of people out running which was great. The calves are quite tight at the moment so the plan is a good hour of stretching/foam rolling and core this evening.

Weekly Total - 24.48 miles

As expected, a hefty drop in mileage this week, but I still got a session in and I'll benefit from the rest. Plan for next week is to get back to 35ish miles, but they'll mainly be easy ones, although I may try that 12*400s session on Thursday. That'll be 10 days before the Fingal 10k so I might still benefit from it.

Monday 8 July - 4.43 miles in 41.18, 9.20 per mile

The legs are feeling pretty good despite yesterday's session, but I was glad to go for a recovery run all the same. Came down to Kilkenny for a few days this morning so I jogged down to the Castle Park and did 3 easy laps before jogging home. I doubt there were many nicer places to run in Ireland today, although it was flipping scorchio. I hadn't intended to go out in the hottest part of the day, but I'd just spent half an hour pumping up a large paddling pool so I was a sweaty mess anyway, thought I may as well kill two birds with one stone.

Plan for tomorrow is to go for a 10-12 mile easy run in the morning, there's a walking trail along the Nore out towards Bennettsbridge so I'll do an out and back that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭blockic

there's a walking trail along the Nore out towards Bennettsbridge so I'll do an out and back that way.

About to head out in that heat now in a min! :eek: Have yet to venture out on that trail, only went as far as the ring road on it. Let us know what it's like!

blockic wrote: »
    About to head out in that heat now in a min! :eek: Have yet to venture out on that trail, only went as far as the ring road on it. Let us know what it's like!

Will do. It really is a belter out there today and tomorrow's supposed to be even hotter - hence the early start!

• Advertisement

Tuesday 9 July - 13.20 miles in 2.01.28, 9.12 per mile Ave HR 143

Got out bright and early this morning to beat the heat, and as planned I headed out the Nore Valley Walk for the first time. It's 2 miles from the house to the trailhead so I thought I'd go about 4.5 miles out the trail and turn back. The website says the trail is 7 miles to Bennettsbridge, but looking at the Garmin I only had about a mile left to Bennettsbridge when I turned back, so either the Garmin was acting up or the trail's shorter than advertised.

It's well put together though and I'll definitely be running out there again. While the trail itself hasn't been surfaced with gravel or anything, it's mostly very easy to run along. They've also done a nice job putting in stiles and bridges where required and it's well marked and signposted along the way. It's lovely to be running along the river, plenty of herons, rabbits and squirrels along the way and seemingly there's otters as well. About a half-mile out of Kilkenny you have to leave the river and run along Sion Road for 0.75 miles, which is a shame, but there's a path along a lot of that before you go back across a field to the river side again.

Overall a very enjoyable run, and my longest run to date. The legs felt great from the first step, and still feel good now, but I'd say I was pretty dehydrated by the time I got back. A bit of stretching and a short easy run tomorrow and I'll be laughing.

Wednesday 10 July - 3.68 miles in 35.03, 9.31 per mile

Back up to Dublin on Wednesday morning and went for a short recovery run in the afternoon. Very easy to keep the pace down in that heat, my breathing felt quite laboured for most of the run. Followed it up with a good hour of core/stretching/foam rolling in the evening.

Friday 12 July - 5.90 miles in 46.53, 7.57 per mile

Ended up just taking a total rest day on Thursday, but went out for a good run this afternoon. Having read an article that Running King linked on his log about how long it takes to benefit from runs, I opted for a tempo run today, which is not something I'd specifically done before. As I'm aiming for 6.55 pace in Fingal I decided 3 miles at 7.10 -7.15 pace would be good for this run, particularly with the heat in the afternoon. I set off on the trails around from the Cabra gate to the Castleknock gate and picked up the pace as I went, overall it was a warm-up of 1.87 miles in 16.01. The tempo run was then from the Castleknock gate down Chesterfield Ave to the Zoo roundabout and back up. To keep to the required pace would mean half-mile splits of 3.35 to 3.38 and they ended up at 3.30, 3.35, 3.32, 3.29, 3.33, 3.32. So, faster than required but pretty consistent and I definitely felt I could have kept it up for a good bit longer (which is handy considering I'm looking to go faster for longer next week). In fairness, I did have the help of a slight downhill for the first two miles before turning back for the last mile, but I felt the effort was fairly consistent throughout.

So that's the end of the hard running between now and Fingal. Easy-ish miles over the next week or so.

Saturday 13 July - 3.30 miles in 29.46, 9.00 per mile

Got out earlyish this morning for a recovery run, but it was still 22 degrees. Even in that short distance I saw hundreds of people out running, and thousands heading into the zoo - I'd say it was a nightmare in there today.

Had a good 30 mins of stretching/core/foam rolling this evening too. Overall the legs are feeling pretty great at the moment, especially compared with two or three weeks ago, the initial shock of upping the mileage seems to have passed.

Sunday 14 July - 7.18 miles in 58.00, 8.04 per mile

Went out this evening for a faster-end-of-easy run, so that I could avoid the crowds coming out of the concert in the Park, but also mainly because I wanted to get back in time for Masterchef. I used to always run at around 8.00 pace before I started to structure my running a bit, but it felt strange to be running at that pace this evening, neither easy or a session.

Rather than run in the Park and possibly inflict Mumford and Sons on myself, I headed out the canal to Castleknock and then back through the village and along the Navan Road. Lovely evening for it, definitely have to get out along the canal more frequently.

Weekly Total - 37.69 miles

6 runs in total this week, including my longest run yet and a decent tempo effort on Friday, so a good week. The week ahead I reckon I'll run every day except Friday, I think that would probably be the best day for a rest before the race on Sunday. Looking at the weather forecast this evening it looks like it's still going to be hot, so I might be revising my target on the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Mumford rock..........master chef......meh.....

• Advertisement

Mumford rock..........master chef......meh.....

The advantage for Masterchef is that there's a hell of a lot less banjo.

Monday 15 July - 3.48 miles in 29.14, 8.23 per mile

Spent about 45 mins on stretching/core/foam rolling before heading out for this short run on a beautiful evening in the Park. I tripped over a tree root on Saturday morning and came very close to sliding along on my nose but managed to just get my right leg out in front of me. I think that overextended it though and I could really feel it while foam-rolling, but hopefully that'll work its way out in the next couple of days.

Tuesday 16 July - 7.90 miles in 1.09.01, 8.44 per mile

A nice easy run mainly around the trails in the Park, although I threw a couple of hills (Military Hill and Khyber Road) in there as well. I also did my first ever set of pyramid strides towards the end, and they felt great for getting the legs turning over and the heart-rate up towards 90%.

The next few days will be 5-7 miles each on Wednesday and Thursday, rest on Friday and then another 4 or so on Saturday, before Fingal on Sunday. Got my numbers in the post today.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭wowzer

What you shooting for on sunday?

Well I set out with a goal of 43.00, and I'd be confident of getting that based on the sessions I've done, but the weather will be a major factor I reckon. If it's cloudy like it has been this morning and yesterday morning I'd be looking to get down to 42.30ish maybe. Looking at the profile the first half is fast so I might head out in 42.00 pace and see if I can hold on in the second-half. If it's hot though who knows?

It'll be a PB anyway, I've only done one 10k before and that was 49.39, so if I'm not beating that time I'll just have to give up this running lark. I saw on your log you might be looking to go sub-40, best of luck!

Well I set out with a goal of 43.00, and I'd be confident of getting that based on the sessions I've done, but the weather will be a major factor I reckon. If it's cloudy like it has been this morning and yesterday morning I'd be looking to get down to 42.30ish maybe. Looking at the profile the first half is fast so I might head out in 42.00 pace and see if I can hold on in the second-half. If it's hot though who knows?

It'll be a PB anyway, I've only done one 10k before and that was 49.39, so if I'm not beating that time I'll just have to give up this running lark. I saw on your log you might be looking to go sub-40, best of luck!

Good stuff I was hoping you weren't going to set a soft target as your training has been going quite good for you so 42 is within reach..

wowzer wrote: »
    Good stuff I was hoping you weren't going to set a soft target as your training has been going quite good for you so 42 is within reach..

Thanks for that - I think knowing people will be seeing my time on this log will be motivation as well!

Wednesday 17 July - 4.42 miles in 40.12, 9.05 per mile

Short enough run down in the Park yesterday afternoon, pretty warm and oppressive. Was really hard going and the legs felt very heavy, I stopped about a quarter of a mile short of where I would normally have finished and strolled home.

Thursday 18 July - 6.01 miles in 51.53, 8.38 per mile Ave HR 126

Went out a bit later this evening, and although it felt like it was going to be a re-run of yesterday, thankfully the legs loosened up and it was a very enjoyable run in the end. I wore my HR monitor out of curiosity after yesterday's run (I don't usually wear it for shorter easy runs because it can be a bit uncomfortable) and it was great to see my HR staying pretty much under 130 for the whole run, that's a good bit lower than it would have been a while ago.

Saturday 20 July - 3.04 miles in 26.05, 8.35 per mile

Rest day as planned yesterday, although I got 30 mins of core etc done in the morning and then another 45 mins or so yesterday evening. Various bits of me are pretty sore today, but I'll be grand in the morning.

Just went out for a very short run this afternoon to keep the legs ticking over. Really looking forward to the race tomorrow, hopefully the heat won't be too bad at 10am.

Turned out to be great weather for the run today in the end, loads of lovely cloud around. Got out to Swords in plenty of time, feeling well-prepared and ready to go, although I probably didn't warm up as much as I should have.

Heading towards the start the stewards told us to go left unless we were aiming for sub-40, fair enough. There were no signs up anywhere about the waves and I presumed there were only two (the course map refers to Wave 1 and Wave 2) so I just lined up where I ended up. Turns out that was in the sub-50 wave, and there was a sub-45(?) as well, which ended up being a bit of a pain in the arse as I spent the entire race overtaking people (although psychologically that kinda feels good too). Looking back, in fairness there was at least a thousand people in the pen in front, so it would have been a pretty good field if they were all going sub-40!

Anyway, the course profile showed a fast couple of miles at the start, followed by a flattish 3 miles and then uphill towards the end. With the aim being sub-43, or 6.55 per mile, I planned to go out at 6.40 or so for the first couple of miles, steady things up in the middle and then see how things went from there.

Felt great for the the first two miles south through the town and then out around the bypass, had clear road in front of me for most of this, and they went by in 6.45 and 6.42. Turning on to the country roads, things started getting a little congested and I found myself having to weave around a bit to get past people. I also decided it would be a good idea to stop at the water station (it wasn't) to have a bit of a drink. So the third mile ended up at 7.15 :eek:. I wasn't checking my watch overly frequently so I didn't notice the drop in pace for a while, and it was a bit of a shock when I checked the Virtual Partner and saw I only had 3 seconds to spare. Having started so confidently that gave me a kick in the arse and I got it together a bit, and focused on making sure each half-mile split was a good one. Miles 4 and 5 then both went in 6.50 along the country roads before coming back into town, and a killer of a hill towards the end. So even though the effort levels went up a bit, mile 6 was 6.51. Managed to pick up the pace a fair bit towards the finish, there was one guy in particular who I'd been in and around for most of the race and who was about 10 metres ahead coming into the final straight so I put the afterburners on to get past him and finished pretty well, last bit was at 6.05 pace. So overall, 10k in 42.38, a PB by 7.01 (although in fairness my only previous official 10k was also the first time I'd run 10k).

Given that I set myself the goal of 43 mins a couple of months ago, I'm really happy to have come in at 42.38, but reckon I could have got 42.20 today if (a) I hadn't stopped to take on some water (there's no need for that in a 10k, especially when it's cloudy!), and (b) if I'd put the hammer down a bit further from home. When I kicked towards the end I was surprised by how much energy I had, so I could have gone a bit earlier. Anyway, you live and learn!

So Sunday 21 July - 6.23 miles in 42.38, 6.50 per mile Ave HR 165 Max HR 181

I'll definitely be doing this race again, although they could really do with sorting out the signage for the waves. Well organised and marshalled (other than the waves), plenty of parking, a decent crowd, a nice t-shirt and for €15 entry fee by itself you can't say fairer than that.

Weekly Total - 31.09 miles

Good way to the end the week, another 6-run week, and up to Thursday I ran 7 days in a row for the first time.

Now I'll be turning to thinking about the Dublin HM in 9 weeks as the next goal race. I haven't done much thinking about that yet in terms of target or training schedule, but I will do over the next couple of days. One thing I do know is I'll be making sure my LSRs are 14-16 miles over the next few weeks.

I'll be doing the 10 mile in 5 weeks as well, I don't know whether I should go the full gun in that or make it part of a longer run with some HMP miles thrown in, but I'll decide closer to the race itself.

Great time Clint, Congrats!

• Advertisement

blockic wrote: »
    Great time Clint, Congrats!

Thanks Blockic, fair play on your PB today as well! I see you had a run down the Nore the other day, did you go out towards Bennettsbridge or just through the town city?

Thanks Blockic, fair play on your PB today as well! I see you had a run down the Nore the other day, did you go out towards Bennettsbridge or just through the town city?

Didnt run out the Bennettsbridge way yet up it's on my radar. I just ran there on the river walk next to John's Bridge, out as far as the Ring Road overpass and back to town again, nice run even if it is a bit short!

Might do an LSR out that trial route towards Bennettsbridge in the next couple of weeks, must start using Jenkinstown more too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Great running, nice PB!

Well done yesterday Clint, that's a good chunk to take off your PB.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

Well done Clint, glad to see that hard work pays off. A good endorsement of the McMillan sessions.

Great running, nice PB!
    wowzer wrote: »
    Well done yesterday Clint, that's a good chunk to take off your PB.
    dazza21ie wrote: »
    Well done Clint, glad to see that hard work pays off. A good endorsement of the McMillan sessions.

Thanks all, still happy with it today so that's good!

On the McMillan sessions, I definitely feel like I benefited from them and I'm happy I used them, but it's open to debate whether I might have benefited more from some other sessions instead, there was some debate on the "Best 10k Workout" thread about that. One view was that for somebody like me, doing 35-ish miles per week, 6 miles at race pace in a session equates to 17% of weekly mileage, which is too high a proportion. A few weeks ago the legs were really feeling a bit worn out, so maybe there's some truth in that.

As the sessions went on though I felt like I could handle them better, despite the increase in 2 mile reps instead of 1 mile reps, so that was good. Mentally as well, coming to the end of the race I was able to tell myself "it's only another lap of the Fifteen Acres" etc, which really helped. But maybe if I'd done more threshold-type sessions I might have done better again - who knows.

Anyway, I'll be taking all of that into account when I'm deciding on the types of sessions I'll be doing for the Dublin Half-Marathon, there'll be a good few tempo runs in there.

Monday 22 July - 4.85 miles in 48.55, 10.10 per mile

Back to work yesterday after three great weeks of holidays in Ireland, so back to lunchtime running. Took it very easy on this one, out to Fairview Park and back and a bit of a loop down the quays. The legs didn't feel too bad really, although my calves threatened to seize up waiting at traffic lights after the first two minutes. My right quad is pretty sore too, so I spent a good 30 mins giving my legs a thorough foam rolling yesterday evening, painful stuff but in a good way.

Tuesday 23 July - 4.76 miles in 38.59, 8.12 per mile Ave HR 131

I'd intended to take things very easy again this evening, but there was a really heavy shower of rain here at around 7 so all of a sudden things felt a lot fresher and it was a really nice evening for running down in the Park. I really enjoyed this run, faster than I'd usually take an easy run, but really comfortable at the same time and there were no aches or pains at all. Great to see my HR average at 131 as well, it seems that the work I did coming up to the 10k has really paid off. Looking back over previous runs that's about 10-15 bpm less than that pace would have required 6-8 weeks ago or, to put it another way, it's about a minute per mile faster for the same HR. Sweet.

Before I went out I did a solid 45 mins of stretching/core/foam rolling. The right quad is still a bit sore, so I really focused on that.

Wednesday 24 July - 5.11 miles in 51.40, 10.07 per mile Ave HR 112

Happy to have another slow recovery run down the quays and around Lansdowne on Wednesday but we were surprised it ended up being this slow - I even double-checked the distance on google maps just in case. Probably did the legs the world of good though, no discomfort in my right quad at all on Thursday morning.

Thursday 25 July - 6.35 miles in 49.32, 7.48 per mile Ave HR 133*

After such an easy run on Wednesday I wanted to go out a bit faster yesterday evening, although I kept it within my "easy" range overall. I decided to do a bit of a loop of the Park to take in the hills on the river side, seeing as they'll feature heavily in the latter stages of the 10 mile and Half-Marathon, and I wanted to up the pace to about race pace when tackling them to see how they felt.

Again, it was great to see the HR stay so low throughout, although the Garmin ran out of juice going around the S-bends, so the overall average is probably higher than the 133 recorded. Going up Military Hill I went to about 7.15 for the 1.30 it took to go up and felt pretty comfortable. Upper Glen Road is a bit longer and looking at it today I reckon I took it at 7.00 pace or so (it took 2.35 to do the 600-ish metres). Glad I didn't feel wrecked after either of them, although in fairness I didn't have 6-10 miles at race pace behind me when I got to them.

Another 20 mins of stretching and foam-rolling afterwards.

Friday 26 July - 3.39 miles in 28.01, 8.13 per mile Ave HR 127

A short run down the quays and back at lunchtime, in between downpours. The Garmin went mental during this and decided I was going than less than a minute per mile at one point, and when I uploaded the run it shows as being about 10 miles out to sea. Hopefully it'll sort itself out.

30 mins of core, stretching etc this evening and then a rest day tomorrow. I'm planning on getting a 14 mile run in on Sunday morning to kick-off 8 weeks of Half-Marathon training.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭tomred1N

Just read your 10K report from last week Clint, great running. What kinda target have you for next half marathon ?

• Advertisement

tomred1N wrote: »
    Just read your 10K report from last week Clint, great running. What kinda target have you for next half marathon ?

Thanks Tom. When I started this log I set targets of 72 mins for the 10 mile, and and 1.35 for the HM and they're almost exactly what my 10k time from last week equates to when you stick it in the McMillan calculator. I toyed with the idea of setting slightly lower targets seeing as I'll have a few weeks to build up to them, but I think I'll stick to them for the moment. I'm thinking my running over the next few weeks will be about getting some endurance together so I can keep a race pace over the longer distances, so long runs of 14-16 miles with some HMP miles in there will be the plan for every weekend, with threshold runs and hill workouts during the week.

Once I've raced the 10 miler I'll have a better idea of what to go for in the HM. I've really noticed an improvement in my fitness since Terenure and I think most of that is down to more, and more consistent, mileage rather than any particular sessions, so I've no doubt my fitness and paces will improve between now and the end of September as well.

(Sorry for the long answer, I was going to post about my HM target etc, so your question spurred me on!)

You're doing Charleville in September still? What sort of time are you looking at?

Advertisement