Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lets all be anxious/depressed together.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Hersheys

Marzipan85 wrote: »
    therapists (if they are suitable trained/qualified) should have no problem with that. you could always just ask initially, if you didn't just want to blurt it out without knowing if they were comfortable. Like 'is it ok for me to talk about issues like this'? then you're not making an assumption. if you have a properly trained therapist, they are trained how to listen and respond appropriately to all sorts of issues.

Well therapist is trained & knows of the past issues with the abuse but am kinda regressing a little & dealing with things through sexual stuff and I know that's wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Marzipan85

Hersheys wrote: »
    Well therapist is trained & knows of the past issues with the abuse but am kinda regressing a little & dealing with things through sexual stuff and I know that's wrong.

don't know why i'm on so late! the only thing you can't mention to a therapist is sex with a minor (person under 17 years) cos they are obligated to report that to the guards. but other than that. like if you are being promiscuous (with ppl over the legal age) i'm sure therapists deal with that all the time.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

I don't think the therapy thing is too linear in structure though, so wouldn't see it as regressing, more like that's the bit that's at the surface currently and so it's what you need to talk about this day/week/month whatever..

I just feel guilty if she's made a plan to work on X this week and then I rock up and focus on Y. It feels counter productive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭allandanyways

I've just started counselling after several years of anxiety, depression, self harm, self medication, out of character behaviour etc.

The problem is, when I'm in the counselling sessions, I'm really calm and just talking about the stuff that p1sses me off. I'm not crying, I'm not upset.

I feel like I'm wasting her time, and work are paying for the sessions so I feel like I'm wasting their money as well.

I don't know why I'm so depressed, I think it's just "in" me, and I don't know what the point of me going to counselling is now, since I don't seem to be getting stuff out as such.

Anyone have a similar experience?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Viva La Gloria

don't want to be putting you in a box, but sounds like your self esteem is a little low (like most people's is!). your mental health is really important, and there's no shame whatsoever in looking after it. getting yourself better is just as important for you as it is for any other person with a severe/moderate/mild problem.

No, you're right. That's part of my problem!

I've just started counselling after several years of anxiety, depression, self harm, self medication, out of character behaviour etc.

The problem is, when I'm in the counselling sessions, I'm really calm and just talking about the stuff that p1sses me off. I'm not crying, I'm not upset.

I feel like I'm wasting her time, and work are paying for the sessions so I feel like I'm wasting their money as well.

I don't know why I'm so depressed, I think it's just "in" me, and I don't know what the point of me going to counselling is now, since I don't seem to be getting stuff out as such.

sure you don't have to be crying to merit seeing a therapist. i'm sure it's easier for therapists to really deal with issues when their client is calm enough to think clearly. if you're discussing stuff that pisses you off, then you're getting something off your chest.

i've done about 3 years of seeing a psychotherapist, and think i might be done with the one-on-one scenario. getting to the point where i'm sick of talking, talking, talking. and feels easier to be with a group of people, where you can just contribute to discussion and stay quiet if you want. think this is something i can get a bit of enjoyment from too. if going to individual therapy doesn't give you a sense of 'getting something off your chest', or even a sense of enjoyment, you could try joining a group, like Aware or something like that maybe? being in a group removes that isolation (and sometimes over-analysis of self), and you can see how 'normal' other people are who suffer with mental health problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 carlab_ie

Hey all, been struggling with depression for 10 years. I moved to Ireland almost a year now and it has been great, been feeling much better actually. The worst is being alone and all that. Sometimes I feel really suicidal, but then I look at my cat and I think nobody would be there for her if I took my own life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Royal Irish

Anyone know if GP's in Ireland are allowed prescribe Diazepam, valium, xanax, and the likes?

Been having panic attacks which seem to be getting worse lately and my GP said only a consultant doctor can prescribe them and GP's cannot.

Anyone know if GP's in Ireland are allowed prescribe Diazepam, valium, xanax, and the likes?

Been having panic attacks which seem to be getting worse lately and my GP said only a consultant doctor can prescribe them and GP's cannot.

Tbh I'd say its just that he doesn't want to prescribe them. Are you on any other medication for anxiety?

If yes, interactions can occur so its best to have them prescribed by a psych consultant who understands the meds better.

If no, gp's are loathe to just hand out benzos like smarties to anyone who walks in saying they've panic attacks. Maybe talk to your gp about long term solutions, counselling/meds. Benzos may seem like the answer but they are for short term anxiety issues. Your issue seems more persistent.

• Advertisement

What issues do you want to work on? Could you write them down and give them to the therapist so he or she knows what you want to achieve from it?

carlab_ie wrote: »
    Hey all, been struggling with depression for 10 years. I moved to Ireland almost a year now and it has been great, been feeling much better actually. The worst is being alone and all that. Sometimes I feel really suicidal, but then I look at my cat and I think nobody would be there for her if I took my own life.

Where are you based? Do you have any social outlets? May ease the loneliness.

I am in the midst of one of the most stressful times of my life. I'm going to get through it but its bloody hard. I can't see the light yet but I will keep trying to head in the right direction if nothing else...

Life... They say when it serves you lemons make lemonade. I'm drowning in lemonade & there are still truckloads of lemons arriving.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Royal Irish

Tbh I'd say its just that he doesn't want to prescribe them. Are you on any other medication for anxiety?

If yes, interactions can occur so its best to have them prescribed by a psych consultant who understands the meds better.

If no, gp's are loathe to just hand out benzos like smarties to anyone who walks in saying they've panic attacks. Maybe talk to your gp about long term solutions, counselling/meds. Benzos may seem like the answer but they are for short term anxiety issues. Your issue seems more persistent.

Not on anything. I have been trying to get an appointment with someone on the more mental health side of things since February with no joy.

Not on anything. I have been trying to get an appointment with someone on the more mental health side of things since February with no joy.

Will your gp not prescribe a more long term solution?

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Viva La Gloria

I am in the midst of one of the most stressful times of my life. I'm going to get through it but its bloody hard. I can't see the light yet but I will keep trying to head in the right direction if nothing else...

Life... They say when it serves you lemons make lemonade. I'm drowning in lemonade & there are still truckloads of lemons arriving.

Sending lots of positive thoughts and lemon squeezers your way!

Sending lots of positive thoughts and lemon squeezers your way!

Thanks ;)

Just trying to juggle so many balls & wish I had the confidence to stand up for myself :( tell some people, who are aware how much pressure I'm under, to FRO so I can put me first for once :(

Thanks ;)

Just trying to juggle so many balls & wish I had the confidence to stand up for myself :( tell some people, who are aware how much pressure I'm under, to FRO so I can put me first for once :(

don't you mean 'juggle so many lemons?' ;)

don't you mean 'juggle so many lemons?' ;)
    See? I was so stressed that I confused balls with lemons. At least I know why my game of tennis was quite bitter and sticky... It was a lemon, not a ball. D'oh! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

I sense an in-joke. :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Anyone have any calming techniques for interviews? It's a phone interview and it's tomorrow. I'm not too nervous now but I know I will be tomorrow?

I sense an in-joke. :p

Ah I just made reference to lemons and lemonade in a post on Friday :)

Stress :(

Cannot find any of the positivity I've had the past few days.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Stress :(

Cannot find any of the positivity I've had the past few days.

Have you tried the mindfulness that worked for you before?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

Anyone have any calming techniques for interviews? It's a phone interview and it's tomorrow. I'm not too nervous now but I know I will be tomorrow?

I find Olbas oil great for calming me down and controlling my breathing.

I find Olbas oil great for calming me down and controlling my breathing.

Just got off the phone there. It was OK, went completely red and am now soaked in sweat but at least he couldn't see that!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

Just got off the phone there. It was OK, went completely red and am now soaked in sweat but at least he couldn't see that!!

Fair play for going through with it! Fingers crossed that you'll get it :)

Fair play for going through with it! Fingers crossed that you'll get it :)

Hopefully I do :D

Anyone know the price of xanax in a Pharmacy? (Definitely not looking for it off the street)
    I think I might ask my doctor to prescribe me some. Could come in handy fr things like interviews, exam and meeting people for the first time.

I've realised now that my anxiety is way worse than my depression and I think my anxiety could even be the cause of my depression! I used to think I was majorly depressed and slightly anxious but this is definitely not the case!

Didn't get the job. Didn't fuckin want it anyway. The medical card people would want to pull their head out of their asses and just send my feckin medical card already. GP visit cards aren't much good and it's just frustrating when you KNOW you're eligible for a med card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

That is strange re: medical card. They have been very timely and good about my medical cards (had it for the last 2 or 3 years). Is there a problem or are they just taking their sweet time about it?

Sorry to hear about the job but if ye didn't even really want it your probably better off. Ye'll get something, try and stay positive.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement