Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buffalo & Doozerie - The mild musings of two grumpy old men!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

doozerie wrote: »
    how disappointed I was that I didn't have an angle grinder with me to carve a path through for us.

No need to go to extremes. A set of crampons and an ice axe should suffice to allow you to share the footpath.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭buffalo

It's nice to have a relatively uneventful commute...

I headed out to Sandyford along the N11 tonight, and coming out the other side of Donnybrook, I realised I was engaged in a commuter race. Heading into the junction by the bus garage, I took the centre lane, he chose a less assertive position in the left lane. He stayed on my tail all the way to the next set of lights, drafting me into the headwind. Alright, it's on. Blasted away at the green lights, pushing hard. Can pick out his hi-vis reflection in the corner of my glasses, push harder! Up over the UCD flyover, he's still there, glinting in the corner of my eye, have to drop him! Slowing at the next red, I glance over my shoulder to see how my competitor is doing... but he's not there. I glance in the corner of my glasses, and realise my own chartreuse shoulder is gleaming back at me. doh! :rolleyes:

Then coming home... northbound along the Rathfarnham Road, approaching this double set of lights - http://goo.gl/maps/iJ9yp A car came speeding from behind me, traffic lights turning to yellow as he got closer. "Ah", I thought, "this lad's going to just lash through these lights no matter the colour". But no, I was to be proven wrong! (For the first time ever - it was an odd feeling.) He shuddered to a halt just by the first set of lights. "Fair play", I thought. Then he (I'm assuming male, could've been a woman) drove on. Through the initial set of reds, and then the second set. "Ah well, no surprise really".

But a minor complaint compared to the Meath registered guy who just did not see the traffic lights at the bottom of St Nicholas' Hill by Christchurch. :eek: Traffic was already coming out of Bride Road, one car had passed through the junction, when this eejit came haring through. I had that feeling of, "oh crap, I'm going to have to be a witness to a horrible smash", but the other cars laid on the horn, and Meath man swerved out of danger. yowza it was close though.

oh, and leaving the office, I bumped into an opinionated asshole cyclist in the lift. Who knew such people existed?! With Betsy B (semi-good winter training Betsy) out of order still after the crash, Betsy C (rusty Betsy) with a puncture that I'm too lazy busy to fix, I had Betsy A (shiny new Betsy) with me. My pride and joy, I tucked her away in a quiet corner of the office for the day, for fear of accidental damage happening to her in the car park - or possible theft, but there's a security guy there all day.

Bringing her into the lift, I asked if there was room beside this guy, who said sure, and then proceeded to berate me for not leaving my bike in the car park. According to this guy, he has a bike that's worth just as much as mine, and he keeps it in the car park. And if I'm that precious about my bike, why don't I get a cheaper commuter? And he continued to give out while he walked away from me. Where do these uppity cyclists get off telling other people how they should act!?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,546 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

buffalo wrote: »
    It's nice to have a relatively uneventful commute...

On the way in last night coming by the Goat Pub, I had a car swerve from the other side of the road, across a filtering lane with cars moving through it (from his direction), across my lane and then through the filtering lane on my side. It was nice to see every road user bar one united in their anger at this guys stupidity in his purple/burgundy fiesta with his mother in the passenger seat.

You sir make stupid people look like they are VERY VERY S.M.R.T.

Coming accross your route by Beaver Row, I found a car parked around the corner of the filter lane your commuter competitor was cycling along. What is it with people parking on corners, are you really that stupid, every f'in day. I usually slow and let a shout but traffic was too busy so I let an almighty roar to get off the corner as I passed. At which point the car (also a purple/burgundy fiesta?!?) decided to take off to attempt to move accross a lane of moving traffic, kind of like attempting a U turn on a one way street in heavy but moving traffic.

Unfortunately, the next issue I came accross was 50/50 my fault. At the elongated S bend thrrough Ballsbridge (with two traffic lights) I got overtaken close to the end of it, happens all the time, it's not smart but I usually ignore it. But this guy slammed on the brakes to make the right turn just after overtaking me and I let loose with a barage of abuse. To which he then slammed on the brakes mid junction. I went on and met him at the next red. I pulled up and said "Apologies for shouting at you back there, you gave me a shock". He turned around and said, "Ha, apologising, you need to get some pills for that mate". I then said I only shouted because he overtook me coming upto a junction and left me little space. He asked how much did I think I left him, I sadi about 3 meters before the junction, to which I was informed I should get my eyes checked, and that he overtook me long before the junction. I then informed him that yes but he only completed the overtake 3 meters before the junction and then slammed on the brakes, overtaking coming up to the junction is not only stupid, I was pretty sure it was illegal. He then told me I was bananas. So I left it there.
    I shouldn't have shouted but he shouldn't have done the overtake and slammed on the brakes.

The rest of the commute was quite nice, one guy smiled and signalled me through a turn instead of blocking the yellow box like most do, and I waved on a car that it was clear to do their U turn and got a pleasant smile and a thank you. If only we could all be friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

My commute is 17kms each way - from Rathfarnham, through town, finishing at the airport. I do this on the bike probably 3-4 times a week on average. But I very, very rarely remember any events from it!

I'm not saying it's not eventful; it's a constant game of road positioning and interaction with other road users - be they cyclists, pedestrians, vans, cars, buses, trucks, whatever.

But the days of those interactions having any effect on me after I finish my journey are well gone, for some reason. As are the days of chasing down cars/buses/vans to give them an earful (these were frequent enough!). Not quite sure why that is.

I enjoy the commute - yea people do silly/annoying/dangerous things along the way, but they generally wash over me and don't register - tranquility prevails. And those incidents don't seem to register in my memory after I step off the bike.

Maybe it's age. Senility. Dunno.

So I've no mild musings or grumblings to add - other than age appears to have had the opposite effect on me

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

Bringing her into the lift, I asked if there was room beside this guy, who said sure, and then proceeded to berate me for not leaving my bike in the car park.

And you probably didn't pay your lift tax either, you cyclist scourge of the elevator network!

• Advertisement

And you probably didn't pay your lift tax either, you cyclist scourge of the elevator network!

I was told by a mustachioed colleague who happened to be getting his bike from the rack just after the encounter, that the guy gave out about "some asshole with his bike in the lift" to him. A simple "no, get the next lift" would have been fine!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Considering the limited number of heinous behaviours that I will (overly) politely interject upon, it never ceases to amaze me what petty grievances some people will go off on one about.

Considering the limited number of heinous behaviours that I will (overly) politely interject upon, it never ceases to amaze me what petty grievances some people will go off on one about.

You should try living with me...

"FFS guys! Cutlery goes in the dishwasher HANDLE DOWN! Otherwise things don't get washed. The only exception to the rule is sharp knives, which go pointy end down so nobody cuts their hand open. And another thing - who's been using the handtowels in the bathroom to clean off their make-up? Can you PLEASE at least leave one towel without orange patches so the rest of us can use it FOR ITS INTENDED PURPOSE? And use up that crinkly roll of toilet paper. It just got wet (because you thought it was a good idea to leave it on the floor), and then it dried again. Are you seriously telling me you have a high standard for the paper you use to wipe your own faeces from your own arse?"

I realised while having this rant in my head this morning that I've been spending too much time around doozerie.

buffalo wrote:
    Can you PLEASE at least leave one towel without orange patches so the rest of us can use it FOR ITS INTENDED PURPOSE?

"Yeah, I need the towel clean to DRY MY NETHERS (before I return it to you to wipe your face again). Do you know how silly my nethers look with the remnants of your make-up on them? DO YOU?".
    buffalo wrote:
    I realised while having this rant in my head this morning that I've been spending too much time around doozerie.

I'm usually such a calming influence. So CALM THE HELL DOWN! *SLAP*

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭t'bear

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Kav0777

I was told by a mustachioed colleague who happened to be getting his bike from the rack just after the encounter, that the guy gave out about "some asshole with his bike in the lift" to him. A simple "no, get the next lift" would have been fine!

Do you think that there's a colleague telling him that they read online about some asshole giving out to someone for bringing a bike into a lift?

Double fail observed this afternoon at lunch. Beside Busáras, car is indicating to make a right turn across the Luas tracks to go the wrong way up a one-way street. Presumably a Garda based in Store Street, though no uniform on.

Then uniformed Garda on Garda bike comes up the inside of the about-to-turn vehicle and makes the same illegal turn. Putting himself in danger of being squished, but gets away with it. Car follows him wrong way down the street.

Grand so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

Double fail observed this afternoon at lunch. Beside Busáras, car is indicating to make a right turn across the Luas tracks to go the wrong way up a one-way street. Presumably a Garda based in Store Street, though no uniform on.

Then uniformed Garda on Garda bike comes up the inside of the about-to-turn vehicle and makes the same illegal turn. Putting himself in danger of being squished, but gets away with it. Car follows him wrong way down the street.

Grand so.

The entrance to the Store St car park is about 20m down that street on the left. Going the long way around obviously isn't all that popular.

The entrance to the Store St car park is about 20m down that street on the left. Going the long way around obviously isn't all that popular.

As well I know. I wonder if I wrote to Deputy McGrath would he raise it in the Dáil, those law-breaking speedy gonzales Gardaí!

Also, before a class tonight, myself and the instructor were discussing na Gardaí and how while some are quite good, others are power hungry maniacs. It was only afterwards I twigged that the other girl silently doing her exercises was a Garda. doh! Hopefully she took the positive with negative, and more of the former!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

As well I know. I wonder if I wrote to Deputy McGrath would he raise it in the Dáil, those law-breaking speedy gonzales Gardaí!

Also, before a class tonight, myself and the instructor were discussing na Gardaí and how while some are quite good, others are power hungry maniacs. It was only afterwards I twigged that the other girl silently doing her exercises was a Garda. doh! Hopefully she took the positive with negative, and more of the former!

You'd hope so, wouldn't you?
    :D

This spell of good weather (let's call it "summer", a word that I found down the back of the Irish vocabulary sofa, where it has lain unused for a long time - I've dusted it off and it seems ready to be put back into use again) seems to be bringing out the, er, chummier side of cyclists on my commute. When the sun isn't blinding them (and drivers) more than usually to the presence of red traffic lights that is.

On this morning's commute I pulled up at a set of red lights. Cyclists zoomed past on my inside, apparently oblivious to the traffic merging from the road on the right. One cyclist hauled on his brakes at the last minute, as he skimmed past my outside, I guess he thought better of trying to cleave a path through the barrier of moving cars ahead. I was track standing, and leaning a little to the right as a result. Because he passed so close to me, and stopped with his front wheel just slightly ahead of mine, when he put his left leg down his body inevitably leaned a little towards me with the result that our heads were about 30cm apart. Now I'm generally a friendly person but I value my personal space, and this was a bit too intimate for my liking, I could have counted his ear hairs for him. He didn't seem too fond of the situation either, despite it being of his making, as he gave a slight sideways I-can-see-you-but-if-I-don't-look-directly-at-you-we-can-both-pretend-this-awkward-situation-hasn't-arisen-right glance and seemed to shift uncomfortably. The stupidity of the situation made me laugh, but perhaps it came out as a nervous/coy giggle 'cos his level of discomfort seemed to increase. He decided to break the red light, one of those rare occasions where I was grateful for such ignorance. He broke the next 2 lights too, possibly trying to avoid a recurrence of our brief romance - hey, do I smell or something?

Going along the quays I encountered a few cyclists overly fond of weaving around traffic in the bus lane. Sometimes that's the only way to get past the congestion of stopped or slow moving cars and buses along there, but these people seemed to consider looking around them first completely unnecessary, so they just randomly swerved left or right regardless of the proximity of other traffic. Two of them, who were apparently content to stick to the right of the bus lane on one stretch, decided to pull in on top of me as I went past on the left of the lane - my best and safest option was to keep my line and pace, which I did, and I got the impression they were not amused. Perhaps I was mistaken though 'cos at O'Connell Bridge one of them went round the outside of a car or bus and cut right back across in front of it, aiming for the bit of road that I was presently occupying, in what could be construed as an attempt to administer a flying friendly hug to me. I rejected his advances though, and held my line once more, I guess he took my rejection badly 'cos without any acknowledgement whatsoever he just veered a little to the right and then pulled across in front of me and cycled on. While contending with the next stretches of road he demonstrated such woeful judgement ("I'll go left inside the car, no I'll go right between the two lanes of moving cars, no I'll do both at the same time") and such poor bike handing skills ("I can fit through the gap between the cars, *pedal pedal*, I know I can, *pedal pedal*, oh gawwd I CAAAN'T, *brake BRAKE BRAKE*, oh I can actually, *pedal pedal*, …") that I wonder if he made it much past the point where I last saw him.

So not only does this unfamiliar weather bring out the most bizarre behaviour in flies (hey, the back of my throat is a hostile place for insects, why the fcuk are you determined to aim for it?) it seems to be addling the brains of commuters too. The zombie sunpocalypse has begun. RAAINNNNNNSSSSSS!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

This spell of good weather (let's call it "summer", a word that I found down the back of the Irish vocabulary sofa, where it has lain unused for a long time - I've dusted it off and it seems ready to be put back into use again) seems to be bringing out the, er, chummier side of cyclists on my commute. When the sun isn't blinding them (and drivers) more than usually to the presence of red traffic lights that is.

On this morning's commute I pulled up at a set of red lights. Cyclists zoomed past on my inside, apparently oblivious to the traffic merging from the road on the right. One cyclist hauled on his brakes at the last minute, as he skimmed past my outside, I guess he thought better of trying to cleave a path through the barrier of moving cars ahead. I was track standing, and leaning a little to the right as a result. Because he passed so close to me, and stopped with his front wheel just slightly ahead of mine, when he put his left leg down his body inevitably leaned a little towards me with the result that our heads were about 30cm apart. Now I'm generally a friendly person but I value my personal space, and this was a bit too intimate for my liking, I could have counted his ear hairs for him. He didn't seem too fond of the situation either, despite it being of his making, as he gave a slight sideways I-can-see-you-but-if-I-don't-look-directly-at-you-we-can-both-pretend-this-awkward-situation-hasn't-arisen-right glance and seemed to shift uncomfortably. The stupidity of the situation made me laugh, but perhaps it came out as a nervous/coy giggle 'cos his level of discomfort seemed to increase. He decided to break the red light, one of those rare occasions where I was grateful for such ignorance. He broke the next 2 lights too, possibly trying to avoid a recurrence of our brief romance - hey, do I smell or something?

Going along the quays I encountered a few cyclists overly fond of weaving around traffic in the bus lane. Sometimes that's the only way to get past the congestion of stopped or slow moving cars and buses along there, but these people seemed to consider looking around them first completely unnecessary, so they just randomly swerved left or right regardless of the proximity of other traffic. Two of them, who were apparently content to stick to the right of the bus lane on one stretch, decided to pull in on top of me as I went past on the left of the lane - my best and safest option was to keep my line and pace, which I did, and I got the impression they were not amused. Perhaps I was mistaken though 'cos at O'Connell Bridge one of them went round the outside of a car or bus and cut right back across in front of it, aiming for the bit of road that I was presently occupying, in what could be construed as an attempt to administer a flying friendly hug to me. I rejected his advances though, and held my line once more, I guess he took my rejection badly 'cos without any acknowledgement whatsoever he just veered a little to the right and then pulled across in front of me and cycled on. While contending with the next stretches of road he demonstrated such woeful judgement ("I'll go left inside the car, no I'll go right between the two lanes of moving cars, no I'll do both at the same time") and such poor bike handing skills ("I can fit through the gap between the cars, *pedal pedal*, I know I can, *pedal pedal*, oh gawwd I CAAAN'T, *brake BRAKE BRAKE*, oh I can actually, *pedal pedal*, …") that I wonder if he made it much past the point where I last saw him.

So not only does this unfamiliar weather bring out the most bizarre behaviour in flies (hey, the back of my throat is a hostile place for insects, why the fcuk are you determined to aim for it?) it seems to be addling the brains of commuters too. The zombie sunpocalypse has begun. RAAINNNNNNSSSSSS!

It has brought out a ton of extra commuters. I was actually briefly stuck in a traffic jam of bicycles heading into Ranelagh yesterday morning (albeit well behaved ones) then as my post from yesterday would suggest, lots of macho/competitive Red Light Jumpers on the way home that evening.

Happy Birthday to me, my wife has been busy making a cake:

257347.png

My wife rocks!

Lego is fun, and versatile. Here is the poor Lego cyclist having a mechanical:

257307.png

Menchov, perhaps the only cyclist that can casually fall off going uphill:

257308.png

• Advertisement

Wiggins doesn't handle mechanicals well:

257309.png

Stephen Roche, circa 1987, in dire need of oxygen:

257310.png

A certain supporter of democracy apparently doesn't like democracy - "Stand against me will ya? Take this Cookson, ya feckin' hoor ya!":

257311.png

*groan* There was *lots* of tasty chocolate fudge icing (from my lovely cake) leftover from my cake last night so I did my "duty" and consumed vast quantities of it (while gaping in horror at how fugly Chris Froome looks on a bike on Eurosport - okay, I've never won a bike race in my life but I ride badly with style …in my mind…). My spare/dessert stomach comes in very handy at times like that. That kept me on a sugar fuelled high into the small and less small hours of the morning, I thought I'd burnt it all off.

But this morning there are quite a few chocolate-y snacks doing the rounds in work, so I did my part to help out there too and I seem to have exceeded even my spare stomach's capacity. Eruption may be imminent, stand well back from your screens...

I was waiting to meet someone down by the Aishling Hotel this morning, and as I waited, I watched the traffic negotiate this junction: http://goo.gl/maps/XpyWi

For the five sequences I waited for, just about every time the light went red for the main west-east traffic flow, there was a car left sitting in either one of the yellow boxes, or on the pedestrian crossing. Each time the offending driver then had to manoeuvre further to avoid pedestrians, Luas, or let out some side traffic. I said nearly every time though - once there wasn't anyone stopped, because they ran the red light.

I play this game sitting upstairs in Brewdock at rush hour, watching this junction: http://goo.gl/maps/25znS If there's a shortage in the government coffers, stationing a plain clothes Garda would collect a tonne of cash in either spot.

Now, I'm off to apply to the Irish Times for an op-ed position.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭spyderski

A certain supporter of democracy apparently doesn't like democracy - "Stand against me will ya? Take this Cookson, ya feckin' hoor ya!":

257311.png

That Lego man looks uncannily like Denis O'Brien.......

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,546 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

So on the way into work this evening I am tipping along on Anglesea Rd. I don't like spending much time there as despite being as quick as traffic at that time of day, I see no need to give people the idea that they should overtake me on the corners.

Anyway, I come out of the last corner on the straight to Ballsbridge, the Quashqai gets to the ped lights and goes through. They are Amber so I pull up and stop, kid crosses road etc. The road is wide enough here for two lanes so I keep left as I know the car behind me will probably want to overtake in a hurry if the lights further up go green as they have a long red cycle.

He pulls up beside me, 08 Jag, window goes down beside me. Crap, what is it I am perceived to have done. I duck down to head level and say hello as he turns to me.

Big smile on his face, "Wow, that was some speed you were doing"
    CC "Em, thanks, I guess, I don't like hanging around as it's a marrow road and I don't want to annoy anyone"
    JD"Well I wouldn't worry about that, I was struggling to keep up with you"

Light goes green and we move off.

Compliment of my cycling career so far I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

257308.png

Proof positive of the minimal utility of helmets :D

Had an angry phone call with an ex-housemate over an unpaid bill this evening, thought a spin would be good to release some of the anger. Unfortunately tonight was TT and aero position practice, need to be swinging out of the bars yelling at some hills to let off some proper steam.

Does anyone get that sensation, upon returning to the drops after being on TT bars, that you're steering an articulated lorry? Your normal handlebars are now twice as wide, and you're pushing a wheelbarrow or something.

• Advertisement

Jawgap wrote: »
    Proof positive of the minimal utility of helmets :D

If I ever find myself falling head first towards a decent chocolate cake then any helmet is going to be flung aside rapidly. Chocolate cake warrants a full face plant, nothing less will do!

Advertisement