Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overweight

Options
  • 15-05-2013 6:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hey guys I just recently bought a push bike,I need to lose a lot of weight and was hoping someone would know where I can buy a sweatsuit to wear under an old track suit when I cycle.for the suit somewhere in blachardstown or the city Center would be great,thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

sweat suits just make you sweat, don't make you lose fat so don't waste your time on that, get diet sorted and train and fat will come off.

If you still want to sweat train which is pointless for your goal, wear rain gear as it's the same thing and cheaper.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Jason McCabe

Diet is King
    Exercise is queen

Cut the carbs. Nothing else comes near

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

Hey guys I just recently bought a push bike,I need to lose a lot of weight and was hoping someone would know where I can buy a sweatsuit to wear under an old track suit when I cycle.for the suit somewhere in blachardstown or the city Center would be great,thank you.

SweatSuit, will Make you gain More Body Weight.. if you use a SweatSuit it could make your Body lose its most valued Item Water, this in Turn will slow down the Body's ability to break down fat etc..

Dont waste your time either with Diet Pills...

Losing Weight is not a Quick Fit, it takes Months Years. to lose Weight and get the body you want it takes hard Work and and most off all time and dedication. If you need Help on anything in your Journey by all means ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,431 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Cork24 wrote: »
    SweatSuit, will Make you gain More Body Weight.

Dafuq??
    I'm no health and fitness expert but this just sounds plain wrong. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,154 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

2 words.

Calorie Deficit!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭Scar Tissue

MrStuffins wrote: »
    2 words.

Calorie Deficit!

Don't forget taking your vitamins and saying your prayers, brother!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,132 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

SweatSuit, will Make you gain More Body Weight.. if you use a SweatSuit it could make your Body lose its most valued Item Water, this in Turn will slow down the Body's ability to break down fat etc.
    You are dehydrated until you drink something, so fat loss over the week won't be significantly effected.
    Also, slowing the rate of loss, doesn't mean you'll gain weight.

Realistically, sweat suit will have no effect on weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

Mellor wrote: »
    I'd agree with the gain weight argument. You burn less calories while idol if you are dehydrated i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

I'd agree with the gain weight argument. You burn less calories while idol if you are dehydrated i think.

neglible

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

cowzerp wrote: »
    neglible
    For the couple hours afterwards maybe. But if he is walking around dehydrated for days (which a lot of people will do without realising) at a time it all adds up.

• Advertisement

Talking about the negligible differences between your dehydrated state, sweat suits etc. are missing the mark.

The fact is this: if you are overweight and you want to "lose weight", it's body fat you're talking about. Sweating out the water and being 1KG lighter after a cycle is about as useful as stepping on a scale with 1KG of chocolate in your pocket and then saying you've "lost weight" when you take the chocolate out of your pocket and try again.

Losing Body Fat is down to mathematics. It's frighteningly easy to do too. There's a great post on the principles here.

Step 1: Calculate your metabolic rate and maintenance calories

Step 2: Eat 500 less than that a day (Supplement with exercise)

Step 3: You will lose 1lb every week.

(I've posted about this before so apologies....) I did this last May and about 4 months later I was 3 stone down. I did absolutely no strenuous exercise whatsoever. I ate below my maintenance and the only exercise I did was walking. Downloaded some good Podcasts/Audio Books/Music, went for a long walk (Maybe an hour at a time, some times more, sometimes A LOT more) and it worked. After weeks 1 & 2 when I realised it was working I walked more and it worked better. My mate noticed the weight loss and started doing the same hing. He is now down 50 lbs!!

At NO point was I ever hungry. I never starved myself because that would be stupid and unsustainable.

OP, if you need to lose weight, trust me, it's easy. But you have to be patient and you certainly don't wanna be cycling in a sweatsuit!

For the couple hours afterwards maybe. But if he is walking around dehydrated for days (which a lot of people will do without realising) at a time it all adds up.
    The body should rehydrate pretty quickly as long as you drink something.

But regardless, the drop in BMR is small (if the is one). Say you burn 50 cals less. This amount can't suddenly cause weight gain, which is what was suggested. It just means you lose a little less weight. A neglible amount less.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Calorie deficit is the key as stated above. The amount of calories you should be taking on to maintain weight is your weight in lbs x 10 - ie if you're 220lbs, then taking in 2,200 calories will maintain weight. If your deficit is 500 per day or 3500 per week, you will burn 1lb per week.

The best time to exercise is in the mornings before you eat as you will only burn your fat stores.

I recommend an app like myfitnesspal to track your calories.

Hope this helps

RoboRat wrote: »
    Calorie deficit is the key as stated above. The amount of calories you should be taking on to maintain weight is your weight in lbs x 10 - ie if you're 220lbs, then taking in 2,200 calories will maintain weight. If your deficit is 500 per day or 3500 per week, you will burn 1lb per week.
    220lbs is 100kg. 2200 calories is way below maintenance for sonebody that's 100kg.

It's BW in lbs x14-16 for maintenance.
    And x12 for weight loss.
    The best time to exercise is in the mornings before you eat as you will only burn your fat stores.
    That's a myth.
    I recommend an app like myfitnesspal to track your calories.
    Agree

Mellor wrote: »
    You are dehydrated until you drink something, so fat loss over the week won't be significantly effected.
    Also, slowing the rate of loss, doesn't mean you'll gain weight.

the effects of dehydration:
    • Fatigue
    • Muscle weakness
    • Poor concentration
    • Headaches
    • Dizziness or lightheadedness
    • Decreased metabolism

Also If OP wears a Sweat Suit, the body once it gets Water will Hold onto it, so he will have water retention. You can't flush out fat or calories without enough water,

Dehydration is not that Simply to just drink Water, i could take the body from Minutes to Hours to get it back from Dehydration State, Plus if your Body is dehydrated before you get the effect of wanting Water.

Calorie counting is cr@p

100 calories of broccoli is not equivalent in real terms to 100 calories of cola for example

Calorie counting is cr@p

100 calories of broccoli is not equivalent in real terms to 100 calories of cola for example
    How so?

Calorie counting is cr@p

With all due respect, you're talking out of your a*se.

from the last time i checked calories are calories...

still do the same thing, You most have gotten Mixed up with FATS ?

unsaturated as to saturated fats...

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭boxer.fan

MrStuffins wrote: »
    With all due respect, you're talking out of your a*se.

I think he is fairly spot on actually. 100 calories of sugar will play havoc with hormone balances etc.

• Advertisement

Again calories are calories

Doesn't make a different where they came from

Only reason sugar would f**ck ur system up is because of the glucose % in sugar

Not what so ever to do with calories

Calories from different food sources are not equivalent

Here is a much smarter man than me explaining it better than I could

http://www.charlespoliquin.com/ArticlesMultimedia/Articles/Article/894/Why_the_Calorie_Approach_to_Weight_Loss_Doesnt_Wor.aspx

the effects of dehydration:
    • Fatigue
    • Muscle weakness
    • Poor concentration
    • Headaches
    • Dizziness or lightheadedness
    • Decreased metabolism

Also If OP wears a Sweat Suit, the body once it gets Water will Hold onto it, so he will have water retention. You can't flush out fat or calories without enough water,

Dehydration is not that Simply to just drink Water, i could take the body from Minutes to Hours to get it back from Dehydration State, Plus if your Body is dehydrated before you get the effect of wanting Water.

You do understand that in not recommending the sweat suit right?

I'm saying that the reason he is overweight is due to diet. To lose weight he needs to fix his diet. All other issues are secondary.
    Calorie counting is cr@p

There's lots of other issues, like nutrition, diet adherence etc, but in terms of weight loss only calories in/out is pretty much all it comes to.

That said nobody choose to those other issues as they are just as important as weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Right. It's physics. Calories in < Calories out = weight loss. Simples. How to achieve that is the challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 peble

I was going to suggest the same calorie deficit + track your food intake even drinks at myfitnesspal

http://www.charlespoliquin.com/ArticlesMultimedia/Articles/Article/894/Why_the_Calorie_Approach_to_Weight_Loss_Doesnt_Wor.aspx

A calorie is a calorie, it's a unit of energy. Whether it be in a burger or in a salad, it's the same unit that is needed to raise 1 litre of water by 1 degree.

You can say calorie counting is crap all you want, but it's fine science. The simplest of science. If you've tried it and it didn't work, you were doing something wrong.

But I've done it. It works. The maths check out. 3500 calories less in a week should have lost me 1lb.... and that's what I lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

You do realise that article relates to the micro nutrients that make up your diet ie protein fats an carbs and it says that the protein content will affect your weight loss more. Yet you site 2 examples of carbs. Brocolli and coke. Which are, as far as macro nutrients are concerned, the same thing.
    The whole point of the article is that you need to count calories but you need the right macro nutrients. Of all the people (in an experiment he mentions but doesn't actually site) who ate more calories than maintenance those who atr protein gained the least amount of fat but they all gained weight.

Calorie counting is 100% key to weight loss. Balancing you macros is 100% key to effective weight loss.
    The difference is calories from protein are slightly more useful than calories from carbs. Yet broccoli and coke are both carbs.
    Now if you had suggested chicken vs broccoli then you would have a point.

Calorie counting is a very poor way to loose weight

You cannot understand that 100 calories of broccoli with have a very different effect on your hormone level than 100 calories of coke????

What matters is the quality of food you eat. Eat non processed, eat lots of green veg, eat loads of meat, cut out the carbs, take omega 3,6 supplements. Drink plenty of water

If you want to pack on a bit of muscle lift some heavy weights

Eliminating sugars, grains and starches from your diet will have a better result than watching calories and be healthier

Also set a goal on paper of what weight you want to be and by when. Maybe put a picture up of how u would like to look

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

Calorie counting is a very poor way to loose weight

You cannot understand that 100 calories of broccoli with have a very different effect on your hormone level than 100 calories of coke????

What matters is the quality of food you eat. Eat non processed, eat lots of green veg, eat loads of meat, cut out the carbs, take omega 3,6 supplements. Drink plenty of water

If you want to pack on a bit of muscle lift some heavy weights

Eliminating sugars, grains and starches from your diet will have a better result than watching calories and be healthier

Also set a goal on paper of what weight you want to be and by when. Maybe put a picture up of how u would like to look

Calorie counting is the only way to lose weight. It really is as simple as what goes into your body and what your body burns off. If you eat less than you burn you lose. If you eat more you gain.

WHat you are referring to is doing it well. Only counting the calories and ignoring the nutirent make up makes it harder. You wont get the right nutrients so you will feel hungry have less energy and lose muscle and bone density.

What the calories come from is essential. But the total of what they add up to will determine if your mass goes up or down.

Put on muscle you need to lift weights and eat sufficient protein or your body wont be stimulated to grow muscle or have the nutrient it needs to do so.

You can eliminate grains sugar and starches from your diet. That will make your diet healthier but if you dont adjust the total intake your weight wont change.

The carbs in coke and the carbs in broccoli are essentially the same thing. They are broken down into sugar by your body and used as energy. You don't burn it it gets stored.

For reference. 1g of carb is 4 calories. 1g of protein is 4 calories 1g of fat is 8 calories
    The carb is used for energy. Protein is used to rebuild damage and build new muscle. Fat is used to create hormones and as an energy source.

Advertisement