Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming Freebies and Trades (trade steam, origin, etc. keys here)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭altairscreed

ussjtrunks wrote: »
    Without any rules its too tempting to ask as I just got a new gaming pc Id like a limit just so I would'nt feel like browsing this thread at collage lol
    Take a break for a week :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Propane Nightmare

Without any rules its too tempting to ask as I just got a new gaming pc Id like a limit just so I would'nt feel like browsing this thread at collage lol

Then heed your own advice and leave some codes for other users? :confused:

You need rules to stop you asking for free codes on a thread on boards?... cant you just logout :P

. We saw one such incident like 2 pages ago. Someone who was registered since 2006, 7 years ago, was denied a key based off his post count.

I don't think that was fair, if that were a rule, he would have to go and spam some boards to get his post count up to be eligible. And then he would be called out for that.
    I think it was more so the fact that he hadn't posted in over a year that was the reason he didn't get the key.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

LESS CHIT CHAT - MOAR CODES!!!!

:P:P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

The thought process behind that is an understandable one; its that if he hasnt posted on boards in like 2 years, or only has 50 posts in 6 years, then he hasnt contributed enough to the boards community to warrant a free code over someone who is an active poster in the games community and contributed a lot to discussions. Dont you think that is understandable?

I understand it, I just don't agree with it.

That's fine for you to apply those rules to your own codes, but why should everyone else think the same?
    Why is contribution to the community needed? Some people just like to lurk.
    If you are going to start demanding contribution, is there a standard of content contributed? E.G. Should someone who has posted "Frosted Butts" in The Cuckoo's Nest 7000 times be preferred to someone who has given 1 piece of helpful advice?

• Advertisement

The thought process behind that is an understandable one; its that if he hasnt posted on boards in like 2 years, or only has 50 posts in 6 years, then he hasnt contributed enough to the boards community to warrant a free code over someone who is an active poster in the games community and contributed a lot to discussions. Dont you think that is understandable?

Whose to say he hasn't contributed enough? Someone could only have 50 posts yet have contributed more to the site than a poster with 3,000. I do find it a little funny that many of those looking for rules have gotten a couple of free games yet offered nothing back.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Propane Nightmare

I understand it, I just don't agree with it.

That's fine for you to apply those rules to your own codes, but why should everyone else think the same?
    Why is contribution to the community needed? Some people just like to lurk.
    If you are going to start demanding contribution, is there a standard of content contributed? E.G. Should someone who has posted "Frosted Butts" in The Cuckoo's Nest 7000 times be preferred to someone who has given 1 piece of helpful advice?

Well now I did say
    if he hasnt posted on boards in like 2 years, or only has 50 posts in 6 years, then he hasnt contributed enough to the boards community to warrant a free code over someone who is an active poster in the games community and contributed a lot to discussions.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Boogietime

Better start posting here then!

I propose a new thread- Gaming Freebies (rules discussion thread) :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭ussjtrunks

I propose a new thread- Gaming Freebies (rules discussion thread) :P
    lol :D

• Advertisement

Here's a question for Propane Nightmare and all the others looking for rules to be implemented. If a user came on here with just 12 posts on the site and 5 of those were him asking for games would you like to see users give him games?

For some reason I bet the answer to that question is no. I imagine though, that if a user came in here with just 12 posts and 5 of those were him offering games you'd be more than happy to take a free game off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

Isn't th ebest solution just to leave it to the doners discretion. They're the ones gifting and their decision is really all that matters. The list the lads are compiling can be used be people to help decide who they might want to give the game to.Best not to muddle it with too many rules, it'll all figure its self out over time and people will regulate as they see fit.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Best to keep this as simple as possible if it's going to work. Otherwise you'll end up with a convoluted mess of to-and-fro posting surrounding rules and regulations.

It's working brilliantly in the short while it's been open. Keep her lit.

Best to keep this as simple as possible if it's going to work. Otherwise you'll end up with a convoluted mess of to-and-fro posting surrounding rules and regulations.

It's working brilliantly in the short while it's been open. Keep her lit.
    Think the thread is still in beta atm :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Yea I know. But I think the 50 post threshold is plenty. If someone is taking the piss and snapping up every code going then deal with them as they come. Shouldn't be too many and trying to legislate for the few will disrupt the many.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭James74

Folks, I think that there is an assumption that some people are abusing the thread, but as far as I can tell that's just not the case (with perhaps a single exception). It's more telling how many times people ask for a game, not how many games have been received. So I went back through the thread and noted the number of times people publicly asked for a game.

ussjtrunks 11
    Almighty Cushion 5
    Tinie 4
    sulc84 4
    Phobious 4
    taytothief 3
    simon360 3
    Mickeroo 3
    kensutz 3
    James74 3
    ionapaul 3
    Ikionm 3
    Charlie Haughy 3
    Blatter 3
    altairscreed 3
    Wossack 2
    UberPrinny_Baal 2
    Sekerali 2
    Scar Tissue 2
    Propane Nightmar 2
    pablomakaveli 2
    Meatwad 2
    Falthyron 2
    Enternow 2
    Digitalism 2
    DeSelby83 2
    degrassinoel 2
    zero19 1
    Varik 1
    thenightrider 1
    sweetie 1
    Skerries 1
    ShiverinEskimo 1
    ShadowHearth 1
    Sauliukzz 1
    SaulGoode9 1
    Patrick 1 1
    Mudlan 1
    Mr.Saturn 1
    McSasquatch 1
    martineatworld 1
    Kerplunk124 1
    kearneybobs 1
    irishoob 1
    El Spearo 1
    Darko 1
    DaLad 1
    Dacelonid 1
    CastorTroy 1
    brianregan09 1
    Angron 1
    /\/ollog 1

Now please note that this was done very quickly, so I'm not claiming 100% accuracy. This is only the number of times people asked for a game, NOT the number of games received.

I think this shows that generally the thread is working well as is, and "nobody" is really taking the piss. And I'm sure that one person is going to be busy playing games for a week or two, so we'll probably all catch up with him soon ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

Have a code for Xbox live game "The Maw". First to quote this gets it.

User must have minimum 100 posts.

James74 wrote: »
    Folks, I think that there is an assumption that some people are abusing the thread, but as far as I can tell that's just not the case (with perhaps a single exception). It's more telling how many times people ask for a game, not how many games have been received. So I went back through the thread and noted the number of times people asked for a game.

ussjtrunks 11
    Almighty Cushion 5
    Tinie 4
    sulc84 4
    Phobious 4
    taytothief 3
    simon360 3
    Mickeroo 3
    kensutz 3
    James74 3
    ionapaul 3
    Ikionm 3
    Charlie Haughy 3
    Blatter 3
    altairscreed 3
    Wossack 2
    UberPrinny_Baal 2
    Sekerali 2
    Scar Tissue 2
    Propane Nightmar 2
    pablomakaveli 2
    Meatwad 2
    Falthyron 2
    Enternow 2
    Digitalism 2
    DeSelby83 2
    degrassinoel 2
    zero19 1
    Varik 1
    thenightrider 1
    sweetie 1
    Skerries 1
    ShiverinEskimo 1
    ShadowHearth 1
    Sauliukzz 1
    SaulGoode9 1
    Patrick 1 1
    Mudlan 1
    Mr.Saturn 1
    McSasquatch 1
    martineatworld 1
    Kerplunk124 1
    kearneybobs 1
    irishoob 1
    El Spearo 1
    Darko 1
    DaLad 1
    Dacelonid 1
    CastorTroy 1
    brianregan09 1
    Angron 1
    /\/ollog 1

Now please note that this was done very quickly, so I'm not claiming 100% accuracy. This is only the number of times people asked for a game, NOT the number of games received.

I think this shows that generally the thread is working well as is, and "nobody" is really taking the piss. And I'm sure that one person is going to be busy playing games for a week or two, so we'll probably all catch up with him soon ;)
    Lol we found the culprit :D

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,193 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Yeah, no need to overcomplicate things imo. The list is a good idea, but if someone follows the thread anyway they probably won't use it or need to but it's good to have it there anyway. If someone is asking for a lot of codes then the person giving out the code can decide not to give it, and also if someone got a lot of codes I think it's just common decency to take a step back for a week or two and let others get some. I got three codes last week and have no intention of putting my name forward for anymore for a couple of weeks (unless Morrowind comes up again that is :pac:). I think it's been working fine so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

James74 wrote: »
    Folks, I think that there is an assumption that some people are abusing the thread, but as far as I can tell that's just not the case (with perhaps a single exception). It's more telling how many times people ask for a game, not how many games have been received. So I went back through the thread and noted the number of times people publicly asked for a game.

DaLad 1

I'm waiting 1 week before I even look at taking another code like people suggested as a rule before :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Pretty sure most people on here have some degree of intelligence and can decide for themselves who they should give their free codes to. No need to implement rules.

Donor can easily look at a poster's previous posts to see how many games he/she has asked for, as well as how many posts for the account.

The Irish state has enough nanny laws to protect the citizens from themselves, let's not turn this thread into another source for protection. Let the donors decide for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭ussjtrunks

Oh dear, I actually came here to give a game bundle away and Im named and shamed lol I did say thanks for all the ones I recieved though but still :(

I just got 2 double fine bundles today so Im giving 1 away (Costume Quest,Psychonauts and Stacking)

1st to quote gets it

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭EDDIE WATERS

Oh dear, I actually came here to give a game bundle away and Im named and shamed lol I did say thanks for all the ones I recieved though but still :(

I just got 2 double fine bundles today so Im giving 1 away (Costume Quest,Psychonauts and Stacking)

Could take I Costume Quest,Psychonauts and Stacking

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭James74

1st to quote gets it

:pac: Heh, no offence lad. I didn't name and shame, all I did was count the posts. And in fact you've just proved that the thread works fine as is. You're giving back to the thread... as I said, "nobody" is taking the piss. Leave the thread as is imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Had a look at my humble bundle games and i seem to have a Warhammer 40k Dawn Of War code. Theres a small chance i my have given it away and forgotten but im pretty sure it should work.

It free to anyone with a post count over 500 and on this site for more than a year. First person to reply to this post and who meets the conditions will get it via pm.

This is still available by the way. Ill reduce the required post count down to 100. Posters who have offered games though are exempt from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Patrick 1

This is still available by the way. Ill reduce the required post count down to 100. Posters who have offered games though are exempt from that.

Is that a hard limit on the 500 minimum? I lurk more than commenting, and tend to avoid AH if that counts?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Not a great freebie, but I will throw it up anyway

* Shogun 2: Total War - 75% off coupon on STEAM.
    * Duke Nukem 3D: Megaton Edition - 50% off coupon on STEAM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭taytothief

Could take I Costume Quest,Psychonauts and Stacking
    1817641.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

Ive got a code for children of eden for xbox

I realise I missed this, and this is more of a bargain question than a freebie one but: I've been on the lookout for a cheap copy of Children of Eden for a long time (being a big Rez fan) and I was wondering where you got yours?

• Advertisement

Still Have Alien Shooter 2: Conscription Desura Key
    Droplitz (Steam)
    x2Arma 3 Alpha Lite Invites
    (Posting back up because the thread is getting really bogged down with people going mental over rules):P

Advertisement