Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxi Driver claims I put dent in his car

Options
  • 01-05-2013 11:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭

Hi lads,
    Have an issue. Last week me and my friends got a taxi, anyway being a bit drunk I was being a bit annoying(speaking spanish in the car, a bit annoying but hardly the worst thing he'll encounter) Anyway the taxi driver went bloody insane, he was like 'SHUT UPPPPPPPP' and pulled over first, when we all got out he said 'ok get back' in but what followed was him basically threatening me, I honestly thought he was gonna punch me or something, this continued for about 2 minutes when I said 'listen, im a customer, dont speak down to me like that, then my other friend who initially was annoyed with me was like 'he's dead right and opened and got out ot the car' then i made an off the remark comment about 'this is the sort of mentality why i hate ireland'(hardly that big of a deal) and he responds with 'then get fucccccccccking out then' and i replied 'your a scumbag man' to which he replied 'im gonna ****ing get you' i sort of ran away from the car, i heard nothing until last night a lad i know told me he was calling around a dent I apparently put in his car. I know for a fact, 1 million per cent I didn't.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

EdenHazard wrote: »
    Hi lads,
    Have an issue. Last week me and my friends got a taxi, anyway being a bit drunk I was being a bit annoying(speaking spanish in the car, a bit annoying but hardly the worst thing he'll encounter) Anyway the taxi driver went bloody insane, he was like 'SHUT UPPPPPPPP' and pulled over first, when we all got out he said 'ok get back' in but what followed was him basically threatening me, I honestly thought he was gonna punch me or something, this continued for about 2 minutes when I said 'listen, im a customer, dont speak down to me like that, then my other friend who initially was annoyed with me was like 'he's dead right and opened and got out ot the car' then i made an off the remark comment about 'this is the sort of mentality why i hate ireland'(hardly that big of a deal) and he responds with 'then get fucccccccccking out then' and i replied 'your a scumbag man' to which he replied 'im gonna ****ing get you' i sort of ran away from the car, i heard nothing until last night a lad i know told me he was calling around a dent I apparently put in his car. I know for a fact, 1 million per cent I didn't.
    You should contact the regulator and make a complaint against the driver for his bad language and threatening and abusive behaviour, then I would suggest calling in to your local Gardai station and making a complaint and statement there to have it on record in case the driver comes knocking on your door.

This is of course assuming that you got the taxi driver's/car details or a receipt and also that your friend is not just having some fun at your expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

foggy_lad wrote: »
    You should contact the regulator and make a complaint against the driver for his bad language and threatening and abusive behaviour, then I would suggest calling in to your local Gardai station and making a complaint and statement there to have it on record in case the driver comes knocking on your door.

This is of course assuming that you got the taxi driver's/car details or a receipt and also that your friend is not just having some fun at your expense.

And assuming that OP will stand up to his claim that the provocation was purely innocent!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

And assuming that OP will stand up to his claim that the provocation was purely innocent!

Oh come come now,Intellectual Dosser,don't you know that there's only EVER one side to these stories.....;)

Foggy knows this,which is why I tend to enquire as to the meaning of terms such as....."a bit" in the context of the OP.

I'm presuming also that the 1 Million per-cent refers to sober,next-day per-cents and not "a bit drunk" per-cents,which tend to be the National Standard in matters financial it appears.....:rolleyes:

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

Yes but all i was doing was speaking Spanish, it wasn't the taxi drivers concern. My friends were annoyed by me speaking Spanish, it was bad banter but I've got into other taxis and i've had taxi drivers love enjoy having the banter with the Spanish(although was talking to my friends not him). This guy was totally ignorant and rude, didn't acknowledge us from the start and there was a taxi right next to him who stopped and seen everything. I quote 'that was disgraceful' thetaxi driver said in reference to the other drivers behavior. If we had acted bad the other driver would not have stopped for us and the following taxi driver there were no problems what so ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,790 ✭✭✭✭listermint

yes but all i was doing was speaking spanish, it wasn't the taxi drivers concern.

Shouting in ones ear being obnoxious id imagine....

You may have thought it was hilarious at the time.

i counter with

It most likely was not hilarious to a sober person trying to drive you safely to your destination.

• Advertisement

listermint wrote: »
    Shouting in ones ear being obnoxious id imagine....

You may have thought it was hilarious at the time.

i counter with

It most likely was not hilarious to a sober person trying to drive you safely to your destination.

I would agree, however don't try to make it seem worse than it was. Slightly annoying but his reaction was completely OTT, I'm the most cordial person to taxi drivers and the likes. It was a few lads on a night out, of course gonna be giddy, slightly annoying. It comes with the territory, I was not mean or rude or derogatory until the comment at the end in reply to his 'get out of the country' then comment.

And also the issue is that I did not under any circumstance put a dent in his car! Under any circumstances...ANY! I was kinda scared, so when I got out, I heard him open car door so I kinda skipped away from the car, no time to give the car a boot let alone enough force to cause damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,790 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I would agree, however don't try to make it seem worse than it was. Slightly annoying but his reaction was completely OTT, I'm the most cordial person to taxi drivers and the likes. It was a few lads on a night out, of course gonna be giddy, slightly annoying. It comes with the territory, I was not mean or rude or derogatory until the comment at the end in reply to his 'get out of the country' then comment.

Well tbh, I tend to tell my mates to shut up when they act like that in someone elses car driving to or from town.

So no i have to disagree. And im not trying to make anything out of anything.

You were being loud and obnoxious in someones ear. Thats all there is to it. nothing more nor less.

The issue not being kicked out(we got out of the car of our own accord), its the dent in this guys car that he claims we caused, and the fact a driver threatened his customer. Only in the taxi industry would this be acceptable. The dent is all too convenient for a guy who said 'I'll get u ya prick'

• Registered Users Posts: 13,035 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

OP, to be quite honest but very little of your story adds up here; there are a heap of gaps and missing facts here.

The only things clear are that you acted like a twat, you were very rude to the driver, he was rude to you and that you made a show of your mates. I also can't get why you, having had an unpleasant trip and got out with your mates, then got back into the taxi willingly. It's also interesting to know that the driver was willing and able to track you and your friends down; clearly something else has happened here that you have left out of this tale.

Regardless of who did or said what, you'd want to get your facts straight and maybe swallow some humble pie or else this could get rather messy at your end should he take it further.

Tell me what facts are missing so I can piece them together? He was able to track me down because he's friends with one of the people that I know dad.

1.Get into Taxi
    2.I got into the car and basically I was just saying 'vamos' then I said to the taxi driver 'hablas espanol, no?' 'ahhh senooor' then the lads were just like stop u clown and I was like ahh 'por que, no puedo hablar espanol si quiero?' That was it, i swear to god, it wasn't that obnoxious just a bit annoying but not deserving of the reaction I swear to god. He kicked us out first after about 1 minute. Barely outside the estate, not sure why we got back in.
    2.I got back into the car and I was like 'Maaan its only a bit of fun, no need to be such an asshole about it, what would you do if there were loud Spaniards having fun in taxi, would you kick them out? He went on a big rant about 'Youuur in Ireland, and not Spanish', really angry tone, then I replied 'I'm Americaaan' For some reason he got so annoyed by that, and seemed like he wanted to punch me. After he threatened me, me and my other friend were like 'Pull over, had enough of this, that's out of order, we want to go get out' 2 of my other 'friends' stayed and went the rest of way.

Its mad that when you're accused of something that people will actually make up a scenario where you are guilty. I swear I got out of the car and skipped away, negating any possibility of me kicking his car because I thought he was gonna punch me honestly. I was ready to run. No interest in getting into a fight with a guy 3 times my age.

We had the same guy as taxi driver like 2 weeks ago, with no problems. He must have woke up on the wrong side of the bed. I'm not an asshole drunk, I'm just a giddy drunk so kicking cars etc. is not in my character. But also I hadn't even drunk a lot, I had 4 bottes before for drinking because not a big drinker. I just pretend on a night out I'm Spanish as a (inside) joke, nothing sinister. This guy from the moment we got in was ignorant. He escalated the situation and I don't care. I'm here to look for backup because my conscious is clear not pandering to authority 'sit in the car and say nothing with fingers on lips' stupid responses. I didn't do anything to the car for a fact, if speaking Spanish is so annoying and obnoxious then fair enough but that's not the issue. He is fabricating that I damaged his car door which couldn't be further from the truth. Maybe I need to look up 'wikihow' articles on 'How to prove your innocent when your being accused of something you didn't do'

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭oisindoyle

@EdenHazard

The bottom line is you were acting the idiot,you by your own admission were DRUNK and even your own friends told you to calm down.

So clearly you were in the wrong ,no ifs or buts .

The driver was well within his rights to throw you out .Thank yourself lucky that he was relatively decent and restrained .

I'm sure if you came across another he may well have given you a well deserved dig.

You misbehaved ,YOU were in the wrong ,Learn your lesson don't drink so much ,listen to your friends in future and behave yourself in a taxi .

Just so you know the rules state:

"The customer’s responsibilities"

Behaviour
    Customers’ behaviour should be civil and orderly".....you were far from being "civil or orderly".

Tell me what facts are missing so I can piece them together? He was able to track me down because he's friends with one of the people that I know dad.

1.Get into Taxi
    2.I got into the car and basically I was just saying 'vamos' then I said to the taxi driver 'hablas espanol, no?' 'ahhh senooor' then the lads were just like stop u clown and I was like ahh 'por que, no puedo hablar espanol si quiero?' That was it, i swear to god, it wasn't that obnoxious just a bit annoying but not deserving of the reaction I swear to god. He kicked us out first after about 1 minute. Barely outside the estate, not sure why we got back in.
    2.I got back into the car and I was like 'Maaan its only a bit of fun, no need to be such an asshole about it, what would you do if there were loud Spaniards having fun in taxi, would you kick them out? He went on a big rant about 'Youuur in Ireland, and not Spanish', really angry tone, then I replied 'I'm Americaaan' For some reason he got so annoyed by that, and seemed like he wanted to punch me. After he threatened me, me and my other friend were like 'Pull over, had enough of this, that's out of order, we want to go get out' 2 of my other 'friends' stayed and went the rest of way.

Its mad that when you're accused of something that people will actually make up a scenario where you are guilty. I swear I got out of the car and skipped away, negating any possibility of me kicking his car because I thought he was gonna punch me honestly. I was ready to run. No interest in getting into a fight with a guy 3 times my age.

We had the same guy as taxi driver like 2 weeks ago, with no problems. He must have woke up on the wrong side of the bed. I'm not an asshole drunk, I'm just a giddy drunk so kicking cars etc. is not in my character. But also I hadn't even drunk a lot, I had 4 bottes before for drinking because not a big drinker. I just pretend on a night out I'm Spanish as a (inside) joke, nothing sinister. This guy from the moment we got in was ignorant. He escalated the situation and I don't care. I'm here to look for backup because my conscious is clear not pandering to authority 'sit in the car and say nothing with fingers on lips' stupid responses. I didn't do anything to the car for a fact, if speaking Spanish is so annoying and obnoxious then fair enough but that's not the issue. He is fabricating that I damaged his car door which couldn't be further from the truth. Maybe I need to look up 'wikihow' articles on 'How to prove your innocent when your being accused of something you didn't do'

YOU were drunk and being obnoxious ,,,even your friends said so .
    Stop trying to blame a sober taxi driver doing his job and take responsibility for your drunken behaviour and rudeness.
    Even your comments on here says a lot about you (presumably you are sober today ) ,you quite clearly have a attitude problem ,given that you said
    "not pandering to authority 'sit in the car and say nothing with fingers on lips' stupid responses.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Havermeyer

oisindoyle wrote: »
    @EdenHazard

The bottom line is you were acting the idiot,you by your own admission were DRUNK and even your own friends told you to calm down.

So clearly you were in the wrong ,no ifs or buts .

The driver was well within his rights to throw you out .Thank yourself lucky that he was relatively decent and restrained .

I'm sure if you came across another he may well have given you a well deserved dig.

You misbehaved ,YOU were in the wrong ,Learn your lesson don't drink so much ,listen to your friends in future and behave yourself in a taxi .

Just so you know the rules state:

"The customer’s responsibilities"

Behaviour
    Customers’ behaviour should be civil and orderly".....you were far from being "civil or orderly".

I'm just wondering, but is this accepted as a reasonable response to a noisy customer, within the taxi profession?

They didn't say calm down they hate me speaking Spanish and get annoyed when I do but their annoyance is not his concern. If I want to speak Spanish in a taxi that is my prerogative. He threatned to get me 'sooner or later' nacker language which showed his character.
    The lad I know who doesn't even like me(not because im some asshole who annoys people, because he thinks im full of myself and 'gay'), even said to the taxi driver when talking to him that he's not the type to kick a car door in fairness.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 82 ✭✭aman23

If you hate Ireland so much, why don't you leave?

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Jogathon

It sounds like Eden was acting like a plonker, that much is clear. However, it also sounds like something that a normal, good natured taxi driver would take in his stride as it was silly and not dangerous.

The issue here is that Eden did not damage the car, but the taxi man claims he did. Eden, make a report to the guards about how you've heard that this is what the taxi man is saying and then if he does go to the guards with a complaint then it's just a bit safer for you. However, I'd be very surprised if he did go to the guards.

And if someone asks about you and the incident with the taxi just say something calm and simple, and make it clear that you never kicked it, regardless of what the person might have heard.

YOU were drunk and being obnoxious ,,,even your friends said so .
    Stop trying to blame a sober taxi driver doing his job and take responsibility for your drunken behaviour and rudeness.
    Even your comments on here says a lot about you (presumably you are sober today ) ,you quite clearly have a attitude problem ,given that you said
    "not pandering to authority 'sit in the car and say nothing with fingers on lips' stupid responses.

Ignoring you. You have no idea about the dynamics of that car and how it transpired, I'm not here to figure out whether I was in the right or wrong. I was out on a night out and acting a bit dumb but otherwise in great spirits and NOT RUDE like he was to me. I didn't threaten to get him sooner or later, imagine this being seen as acceptable? :rolleyes:

Jogathon wrote: »
    It sounds like Eden was acting like a plonker, that much is clear. However, it also sounds like something that a normal, good natured taxi driver would take in his stride as it was silly and not dangerous.

The issue here is that Eden did not damage the car, but the taxi man claims he did. Eden, make a report to the guards about how you've heard that this is what the taxi man is saying and then if he does go to the guards with a complaint then it's just a bit safer for you. However, I'd be very surprised if he did go to the guards.

And if someone asks about you and the incident with the taxi just say something calm and simple, and make it clear that you never kicked it, regardless of what the person might have heard.

That's a fair reflection. Me stupid but all he had to do was laugh it off because honestly I was just tryna have fun(altho on my terms sure) with him. If it had been 3 hot 18 year old girls I doubt he would have cared.
    To have heard the tone and manner he was talking to me in you would not believe it. I should be the one contacting the guards about his behaviour and threatening me

I'm interested to find out the bit as to how he reckoned you damaged his car door and why your friend/s felt honour bound to pass on your details to him. I'm also interested to see that you now say you were kicked out by him yet you were then let back into the cab. Once back in you then call him an "asshole" and decide that having been rude to him yet again you then decide that it's humourous to say you are American (Maybe you are in which case fair enough). Out you get a second time only for him to order you back in; three times in the cab in one trip of which twice you say you felt/were threatened by him.

Personally speaking, I think you are still leaving out a few chapters of this tale, and chapters that may reveal the real story here. While I know that Oisin doesn't condone anybody being given a few slaps you can see what he means in saying that a few people wouldn't be as patient given the situation.

1.Get into Taxi

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭housetypeb

2.I got back into the car and I was like 'Maaan its only a bit of fun, no need to be such an asshole about it...'[/QUOTE]

That's the best line in this interesting saga of civilian versus taxi driver thread.
    I'm really looking forward to new updates on what happens next,will the taxi driver finally catch up with the OP? Will it all end in tears?

• Advertisement

nummnutts wrote: »
    I'm just wondering, but is this accepted as a reasonable response to a noisy customer, within the taxi profession?

Drivers put up with a lot of rude drunken obnoxious people.One can be grateful that the incidence of drivers giving one of the above a dig is quite rare .
    Having said that,passengers MUST behave in a civil manner ,the OP wasn't .

I'm American!!!!!!!!!! I didn't call him an asshole straight away. He start laying into me about how 'were in ireland' and i said 'what if it was spaniards in the car?' Would you throw a strop, then I said this is why I hate Ireland(in jest sort of but irrelevant) and he goes 'well get ****innng out then' to which I reply 'quit being an asshole, your taking it far too serious' nope your making stuff up, he kicked us out first then we got in again, then after going on a tirade against me i said 'enough im not taking this, and we said pull over, we're getting out' and that was the end of it.

my friend just said to me there(who stayed in the car) i was sober, only had both 4 bottles before leaving.

Drivers put up with a lot of rude drunken obnoxious people.One can be grateful that the incidence of drivers giving one of the above a dig is quite rare .

If speaking Spanish in jest is grounds for taxi drivers handing out digs to their customers than Jesus F'ing Christ!

Ignoring you. You have no idea about the dynamics of that car and how it transpired, I'm not here to figure out whether I was in the right or wrong. I was out on a night out and acting a bit dumb but otherwise in great spirits and NOT RUDE like he was to me. I didn't threaten to get him sooner or later, imagine this being seen as acceptable? :rolleyes:

Well from what you told us so far ,YOU were drunk ,YOU called the driver an asshole YOU were told by YOUR friends to behave yourself and yet it's the taxi drivers fault ????
    If you think the above is not being rude ,well ..............

Listen!!!! He told me to get out of the country basically, I think I was within my right to call him an asshole!!!!! Seriously stop being so ignorant. I honestly think you're trolling.

If speaking Spanish in jest is grounds for taxi drivers handing out digs to their customers than Jesus F'ing Christ!

You're quite obviously leaving out the real issue ,YOU were DRUNK ,RUDE ,LOUD, and your friends told you to calm down .
    Many a driver has Spanish speaking people in their car day in day out ,but they dont behave like YOU

No no no I was not loud or rude, annoying. If the guy had spoke Spanish we would have had got on great, or even been like pigeon Spanish so I wasn't been rude. Its his perspective, he was just annoyed by me speaking Spanish for some reason. I was just speaking enthusiastically in Spanish, it wasn't to annoy him.

My friends told me to stop speaking Spanish, not to calm down or be quiet. They just hate that I think I'm Spanish :P it is our issue, don't know how taxi driver was bothered. I'm not a loud person at all. Stop trying to fabricate what you don't know. Unless the taxi driver is here all you have to go by is my word, not manifest stories to suit your agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Havermeyer

I accept that drivers put up with a lot of rude and obnoxious people. I'm not doubting that.

But to say that one should be "grateful" that incidences of "receiving a dig" are quite rare, is a nonsense. One should expect it to be rare.

I'm American!!!!!!!!!! I didn't call him an asshole straight away. He start laying into me about how 'were in ireland' and i said 'what if it was spaniards in the car?' Would you throw a strop, then I said this is why I hate Ireland(in jest sort of but irrelevant) and he goes 'well get ****innng out then' to which I reply 'quit being an asshole, your taking it far too serious' nope your making stuff up, he kicked us out first then we got in again, then after going on a tirade against me i said 'enough im not taking this, and we said pull over, we're getting out' and that was the end of it.

I'm going by what you said in your posts, which is hard to follow considering that your story isn't in one piece and elements are still being added to it, post by post.
    my friend just said to me there(who stayed in the car) i was sober, only had both 4 bottles before leaving.

4 bottles at the start and you were a little drunk 20 posts later and you sober up ;)

• Advertisement

Just saying what my friend said. I wasn't a drunken mess who was ready to fight anything in front of me which is what you are trying to portray and the poor taxi driver was at the end of my drunk and disorderly outburst. My friends get annoyed by me thinking I'm Spanish but the taxi driver was not aware of this so I don't know why he got so emotive about it? I wasn't being obnoxious to him, I was just being a plonker who thinks he's Spanish but hardly that serious.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement