Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Voice of Ireland (Season 2)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Eyepatch

wadacrack wrote: »
    Seems like he might be gay tho but good performer on stage

What's that about! :eek:

I would have liked for Kelly to have won - and am surprised she didn't. Nevertheless, I think Keith did very well tonight, and I am not surprised he won. I had picked both him and Kelly from the beginning!

IMO, Keith has a similar type of appeal that Ollie Murs has. The fact he can move and has good rhythm, adds to his performance.

If Kelly had not been so-o pregnant, we might have seen more movement from her and more upbeat songs. That could have swung it for her.

Worthy first and 2nd places. Hope they both do well!

• Registered Users Posts: 84,957 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Rfrip wrote: »
    He wasn't, 'twas Richie Hayes and Vanessa whelan.

Hangs head in shame for remembering this

:o Whoops

The final 4's songs are on ITunes now if anyone wants to buy :P

How can anyone understand what Keith is singing is beyond me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭bopper

wadacrack wrote: »
    Seems like he might be gay tho

So???

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Ash885

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    :o Whoops

The final 4's songs are on ITunes now if anyone wants to buy :P

How can anyone understand what Keith is singing is beyond me

Must say Shannon's song is an absolute tune! A must buy. There's a lot of potential there folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Chocoholic84

Thought Keith was a worthy winner tbh. Him or Shannon deserved to win.
    Kelly's a nice singer and all, but there's nothing really different about her, and all she ever did was ballads. Shannon had a much more unique voice and was very surprised she was 4th! I think Keith is a great performer and I'd pay to see him before Kelly, who, in fairness, probably only got as far as she did because of the pregnancy/being in a minority thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Thought Keith was a worthy winner tbh. Him or Shannon deserved to win.
    Kelly's a nice singer and all, but there's nothing really different about her, and all she ever did was ballads. Shannon had a much more unique voice and was very surprised she was 4th! I think Keith is a great performer and I'd pay to see him before Kelly, who, in fairness, probably only got as far as she did because of the pregnancy/being in a minority thing.

I don't think that's fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Chocoholic84

LizT wrote: »

Maybe not, I'm sure plenty of people did vote for her purely because of her talent, but I don't think she deserved to be in final 4 tbh, better people went out before her! In fact, I was rooting for her for a while as well, but more because of "Isn't she great to be up there 8 months pregnant" rather than "Her voice is amazing!"

Kelly's voice gave me goose-bumps. I believe, if Kelly had not been nine months pregnant, she could have tackled a greater variety of songs, and we'd have seen more of what she can do. Shannon left me cold. I actually did not like her voice. Keith is a good all round perforemer - so deserves to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Rfrip

LizT wrote: »

Agree totally , Kelly had the best voice by far regardless of being pregnant or not. Keith is a love him or hate him type

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Taco Chips

Keith's voice is hideous. I thought his tone was horrible and couldn't understand what the judges were saying about appealing. Added to that his diction is awful, he slurs most of his words and doesn't pronounce vowels well. While he may be a good dancer it's all very stagey and over the top imo. Typical '1,2,3 and dip 4,5 and turn etc...' Not particularly 'cool' or something you want to see in concert.

Kelly definitely should have won. Not just because her voice was the best but also because of how well she connected with songs. She was emotionally invested in all of her performances and it came across beautifully. 'Clown' from a few weeks ago is still my favourite performance of the season. It was really heartfelt and well sung. She took a lot of different choices with the notes and the melody too that I felt distinguished her from the original.

As well the whole context of her win on the show would have been amazing, and like it or not that is an important part of reality tv shows too and the success of contestants. Being a member of the travelling community, married young, heavily pregnant and still getting out there and bringing the house down every week. Good on her I say and it really is a shame that she didn't win. That's parochial voting for you though. While it's true to an extent that Kelly would have had a strong support base because of her background, it's equally true that she had plenty of people who wouldn't support her because of it either so I don't think it's fair to dismiss her progress that way. Keith on the other hand probably had a big rural/Cork voting base that put him at an advantage, even though Kelly is also from Cork I don't think it would have played in her favour as much as it did for Keith.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,899 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Didn't Bressie say Keith made lovely hand gestures whilst singing? Oddest comment of the series.

I don't know why everyone is getting so worked up over the result. Keith was not the best singer in the competition, but neither was Kelly. She has a nice voice but she's hardly the next Adele. Far better singers were voted off much earlier than her. Anyone who thinks that her being from Cork, being pregnant and being a member of the traveling community didn't play a large part in her getting to the final two is seriously deluded.

More importantly though, does it really make a blind bit of difference who won? This is the voice of Ireland we're talking about here, not American Idol. Anyone who's appeared as a contestant on the show this year will be lucky to have even a minor bit of success in Ireland, and haven't a hope of achieving anything internationally.

I think Kelly could have a good career if she goes down the Country and Irish route, still think she was a better singer than Keith as was even Shannon and Shane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

bopper wrote: »
    I don't know why everyone is getting so worked up over the result. Keith was not the best singer in the competition, but neither was Kelly. She has a nice voice but she's hardly the next Adele. Far better singers were voted off much earlier than her. Anyone who thinks that her being from Cork, being pregnant and being a member of the traveling community didn't play a large part in her getting to the final two is seriously deluded.

Without any disrespect intended, I think you're missing the point here... :o:o

The point is that Kelly sang better than Keith on the night, and overall - and yet she still lost to him.

It doesn't matter that she wasn't the best singer in the competition and is far from being the next Adele. Her county, her pregnancy and her background don't matter either.

More importantly though, does it really make a blind bit of difference who won? This is the voice of Ireland we're talking about here, not American Idol. Anyone who's appeared as a contestant on the show this year will be lucky to have even a minor bit of success in Ireland, and haven't a hope of achieving anything internationally.

It is true that it doesn't really make a difference who won, and that none of the contestants have much hope of even making it big nationally, let alone internationally.

But the fact will always remain that a poor singer beat many other better ones to win...

Without any disrespect intended, I think you're missing the point here... :o:o

The point is that Kelly sang better than Keith on the night, and overall - and yet she still lost to him.

It doesn't matter that she wasn't the best singer in the competition and is far from being the next Adele. Her county, her pregnancy and her background don't matter either.

It is true that it doesn't really make a difference who won, and that none of the contestants have much hope of even making it big nationally, let alone internationally.

But the fact will always remain that a poor singer beat many other better ones to win...

And Kelly beat many other better singers to make it to the final two. So I don't think I'm missing the point at all. I don't understand why everyone can ignore that fact but then start screaming about some kind of injustice when she doesn't win.

I agree that her county, pregnancy and background don't matter. I never said they did and I'm sure there were plenty of people who voted for her purely based on her singing, but to say that those factors didn't influence some voters in any way is far fetched.

You say the point is that Kelly sang better than Keith on the night, but then you also say it doesn't matter that she hadn't the best voice in the competition. So it's OK for her to make it to the final over singers who are much better than her, but it's not OK for her to be beaten in the final by a singer who's worse than her. It's that kind of contradictory nonsense that I don't understand.

Any notion of fairness in this show went out the window weeks back when the public first started voting and were putting the weaker singers through. In fact, in Kelly's first live show she gave the worst performance out of team Kian but was saved by the public. That's OK though, that's fair. Now that she hasn't won though let's all kick up a fuss.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Go Harvey Go, sometimes in these competitions the runner-up actually goes on to have a better career than the winner.

Look at Olly Murs, he was beaten in the X Factor Final back in 2009 by Joe McElderry. Olly went on to have a bigger and more successful career.

Another example is Susan Boyle, she was beaten by Diversity in the 2009 Britain's Got Talent Final and she went on to have great career. Hopefully Kelly will do the same :)

And Kelly beat many other better singers to make it to the final two. So I don't think I'm missing the point at all. I don't understand why everyone can ignore that fact but then start screaming about some kind of injustice when she doesn't win.

Well, I wouldn't say that everyone ignored the fact that Kelly beat many other better singers.

And I wouldn't say that many people would deny that fact, either.

But with Keith and Shane also beating the better singers, there was no real choice but to support Kelly and Shannon in the final - being the best of a bad bunch...

And when Shannon faltered, that left just Kelly.

You say the point is that Kelly sang better than Keith on the night, but then you also say it doesn't matter that she hadn't the best voice in the competition. So it's OK for her to make it to the final over singers who are much better than her, but it's not OK for her to be beaten in the final by a singer who's worse than her. It's that kind of contradictory nonsense that I don't understand.

Did I actually say that it was OK for her to make it to the final over singers who are much better than her? I don't think so, somehow...

When I said that it didn't matter that she didn't have the best voice in the competition, I meant that in terms of the final.

As regards the whole series, of course, it did matter to some extent that she didn't have the best voice. And it certainly would have mattered if better singers than her had made the final in place of Keith and Shane, and she had beaten these better singers.

Any notion of fairness in this show went out the window weeks back when the public first started voting and were putting the weaker singers through. In fact, in Kelly's first live show she gave the worst performance out of team Kian but was saved by the public. That's OK though, that's fair. Now that she hasn't won though let's all kick up a fuss.

This show was never fair in the first place anyway. :D;)

If it had been, then Keith and Shane probably wouldn't even have made it past the blind auditions... :D;)

MrsD007 wrote: »
    Go Harvey Go, sometimes in these competitions the runner-up actually goes on to have a better career than the winner.

Look at Olly Murs, he was beaten in the X Factor Final back in 2009 by Joe McElderry. Olly went on to have a bigger and more successful career.

Another example is Susan Boyle, she was beaten by Diversity in the 2009 Britain's Got Talent Final and she went on to have great career. Hopefully Kelly will do the same :)

When was the last time a winner or runner up from any Irish talent show has done well here or outside of Ireland?

Simon Cowell signs up most of the finalists on X Factor and BGT so he can market them correctly and well and put his money behind them

Who do Ireland have to back any talent though?

I wish all the finalists well but I don't see any of them having big careers here or abroad, maybe TV3 will give Kelly her own reality show :p

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Liz, I don't think any of the four contestants in the final had stand out talent.

However, if the Voice discovered an exceptional talent, I'm sure Simon Cowell, Louis Walsh or some record company would make attempts to sign them.

I heard last week that the Britain's Got Talent people have made several approaches to Crystal Swing, apparently they've really been taken by the uniqueness of their act.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

When was the last time a winner or runner up from any Irish talent show has done well here or outside of Ireland?

Simon Cowell signs up most of the finalists on X Factor and BGT so he can market them correctly and well and put his money behind them

Who do Ireland have to back any talent though?

I wish all the finalists well but I don't see any of them having big careers here or abroad, maybe TV3 will give Kelly her own reality show :p

Very true, unfortunately. A while back I said the best chance of someone doing well from TVOI would be to have a clip go viral internationally.. That might well have happened to Kelly if she had gone into labour while on stage, but it didn't happen.

Simon Cowell was interested in Six for a while, their Popstars show was show on SM:TV Live (when that was a key programme for Pop acts). But he lost interest and has never signed up any subsequent Irish Reality Show acts.

Does Nadine Coyle count? She did well out of Popstars, especially when she got kicked out of Six. Louis made sure she got a break on Pop Stars: The Rivals, and she went on to success with Girls Aloud.

Brian Ormond got to the last 10 of Pop Idol Series 2 (having been on You're a Star) but he never had a recording career. Una Healy was on You're a Star a few times but I don't think that helped her get into The Saturdays.

• Advertisement

MrsD007 wrote: »
    Liz, I don't think any of the four contestants in the final had stand out talent.

However, if the Voice discovered an exceptional talent, I'm sure Simon Cowell, Louis Walsh or some record company would make attempts to sign them.

I heard last week that the Britain's Got Talent people have made several approaches to Crystal Swing, apparently they've really been taken by the uniqueness of their act.

X Factor wanted them to try out as a fun novelty act (i.e. an act to laughed at) but Crystal Swing refused to audition, good on them

Well, I wouldn't say that everyone ignored the fact that Kelly beat many other better singers.

And I wouldn't say that many people would deny that fact, either.

But with Keith and Shane also beating the better singers, there was no real choice but to support Kelly and Shannon in the final - being the best of a bad bunch...

And when Shannon faltered, that left just Kelly.

Well that goes back to my original question then, why is anyone bothered? There's always the choice to support no one. If someone's only reason for wanting Kelly to win is that she was the least crap out of the final four (which was actually Shannon) they really should just be able to laugh it off when she loses.

Did I actually say that it was OK for her to make it to the final over singers who are much better than her? I don't think so, somehow...

When I said that it didn't matter that she didn't have the best voice in the competition, I meant that in terms of the final.

As regards the whole series, of course, it did matter to some extent that she didn't have the best voice. And it certainly would have mattered if better singers than her had made the final in place of Keith and Shane, and she had beaten these better singers.

She beat Shannon.

She beat Shannon.

Well, yes.

But as I said, Shannon faltered on the night - and, as a result, ended up being beaten by Keith and Shane too... :( :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

As far as I see they're all as sh1te as each other.

Terrible screeching you wouldn't hear in a tacky pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 quasimoron

So a guy who dances like a marionette with Tourettes and sings in a funny muffled blur wins.:eek: So typical of Irish talent shows, its embarrassing and cringe-worthy. :o The guy would not even get past the producer auditions on xfactor or BGT. He is talentless, over stagey and tuneless. A joke act.

All the best singers had left this contest and we were left with last nights offering. Kelly has a good enough voice but needs vocal training and experience, but if she follows the usual pattern of traveller women, she will have a baby again next year and her talent will be wasted. I hope I am wrong as she has raw talent.

So many good singers gone due to parochial voting and the tweenie "he is fit "vote for useless Shane and the granny one for cringey, mamas boy Keith. AArggh.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,268 ✭✭✭IsMiseMyself

Jesus.

Okay, so I was incredibly shocked to find out that Shannon is 18.

But so is Kelly. I had her pegged for about thirty.

:O

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Ash885

Jesus.

Okay, so I was incredibly shocked to find out that Shannon is 18.

But so is Kelly. I had her pegged for about thirty.

:O

WHAT?!?!?! That is actually....unreal...:eek: Was thinking mid thirties myself. That's just...wow...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

These gypsies often look a lot older with the make-up and the hair and the costumes they wear. Might be something to do with them getting married and breeding from a young age.

• Advertisement

True, it's hard to believe both Kelly and Shannon are just 18.

Advertisement