Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Military Archery in Medieval Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Neutronale

Yendred wrote: »
    Folks,
    Not to drag the thread off its trajectory too much but
    I've read lots of references to "darts" being used in warfare in Ireland. Are these some kind of short javelin? Were they launched using any tool (thong, spear-thrower/woomera)? How would a dart head differ from a spear head or arrow head? Are these the ga of saga fame?
    -Yendred the Unperforated

No prob, I like darts too :)

I like this pic of the dart as used by the Irish of the period.

311589.jpg

This example has an arrow-head and a finger-loop for assisted launching.

Other examples had fletchings (feathers to assist flight direction).

The warrior is Neil O'Neill who is dressed as a chieftain would have been the previous century. His servant is carrying a number of other darts. O'Neill was killed at the Battle of the Boyne.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭robp

With historical images its always worthwhile going back to original. I think this is very true at Knockmoy Abbey.

ha000056.jpg

I don't see any recurves on the original.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

robp wrote: »
    With historical images its always worthwhile going back to original. I think this is very true at Knockmoy Abbey.

Nor do I.

What I DO see is that the bows are likely have over-stave horn string nocks, or the impression that they do - a common feature of better-crafted medieval bows. See this - http://www.longbowandarrow.co.uk/horn-longbow-nocks-ready-made-312-p.asp

The artist at the time would most certainly have seen the real thing. However, this is an 'anecdotal' image, since Sebastian was martyred by the Romans in 288AD, and the Roman military may of may not have used composite bows to shoot him. Both forms of bow, self and composite, were used by the RA, depending on the location and/or the ethnicity of the legionnaries.

And BTW, can we at least use the correct terminology when talking about the use of ANY bow?

You SHOOT a bow [from OE - Scéotan].

You FIRE a gun [from the old words of command - 'Putte fyer to your gonne]

Thanks.

tac the pedant

ha000056.jpg

Well spotted, not a sign of recurves.

This fresco should really be redone by an artist rather than left to rot.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Simon.d

Big difference alright!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Yendred

Thank you Neutronale.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Simon.d

Here's another depiction of someone wielding a Dart in the Book of Kells:

0bgKBDm.jpg?1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

tac foley wrote: »
    And BTW, can we at least use the correct terminology when talking about the use of ANY bow?

You SHOOT a bow [from OE - Scéotan].

You FIRE a gun [from the old words of command - 'Putte fyer to your gonne]

Thanks.

tac the pedant

I agree on 'Fire' but the commands were
    1 Ready your bows
    2 Nock
    3 Mark
    4 Draw
    5 Loose
    I prefer the more usual 'loose an arrow' to 'shooting a bow'. Anyway Tac, I always had you down as a Loose man:p:D
    Pedro the uberpedant

Neutronale wrote: »

This fresco should really be redone by an artist rather than left to rot.
    The Book of Kells is a bit tatty in places and could be redone also.

Well before the era under discussion but very interesting all the same...
    THE BARRYSBROOK BOWSTAVE
    Ireland’s oldest bow is the subject of ongoing study by the Irish Archaeological Wetland Unit

p04604a.jpg

A yew bowstave was recently recovered from Barrysbrook townland during an archaeological survey of Ballybeg Bog. This bog, which is in industrial peat production, is situated at the base of Croghan Hill in east Co. Offaly, Ireland. Croghan Hill, a very prominent natural feature in this largely flat landscape, has a large number of known prehistoric sites.

Ballybeg Bog forms part of a chain of bogs surrounding this hill and a total of 105 new archaeological sites were discovered during the survey (McDermott et al. 2002, 30-1). These sites range from wooden trackways and smaller sites to large wooden platforms and a possible occupation site, with the latter sites situated on the foreshore of an extinct lake. Dates from these sites range from the Late Neolithic to the Late Bronze Age/Iron Age. The bowstave was recovered ex situ, partially exposed in a water-filled drain. Consequently, in consultation with the National Museum of Ireland, it was decided to date the bowstave. This date has recently been returned as 2399-2042 cal BC.

The Barrysbrook bowstave is 1.36m long, believed to be three-quarters of the original length of the object. Damage consisting of fracturing and splitting can be identified along 62.8cm of its length. There is an intact terminal at one end but it is damaged at the other. The terminal is rounded in form with a single small perforation. The artefact has been trimmed around the length of the stave to the intact terminal where it curves inward slightly, although no toolmarks are evident. Due to the condition of the piece, it was not possible to examine the D-shaped cross-section and consequently the sapwood-heartwood boundary.

While a number of prehistoric bowstaves are known from sites in Britain, such as Rotten Bottom (Sheridan 1993), Meare Heath (Clarke 1963, 53) and Eddington Burtle (Glover 1979, 326), the Barrysbrook bowstave is only the second known prehistoric bowstave identified in Ireland (A. Halpin pers. comm.). The other example from Drumwhinny Bog, Kesh, Co. Fermanagh (Glover 1979, 323-4) has been dated to 1680-1326 cal BC (Hedges et al. 1991, 123). Consequently, the Barrysbrook bowstave is the earliest and most intact Irish example. It is hoped to carry out further research on this bowstave, including a possible reconstruction.

Cara Murray
    Irish Archaeological Wetland Unit
    http://www.le.ac.uk/has/ps/past/past46.html#Bowstave

• Advertisement

The Book of Kells is a bit tatty in places and could be redone also.

Not the same thing at all.

Many frescos are redone and touched up, its part of the preservation process.

90px-Hun_bow.jpg
    No remains of Carolingian bows have been discovered, but the one bow which has survived from the Merovingian period is D-shaped, made of wood, and some 2 m. long.214 In contrast to the Byzantines and Lombards, the Franks and Alamanni are not believed to have used the composite reflex bow at this time.215 However, some ninth-century pictorial sources seem to portray reflex bows,216 and Ermold was apparently describing a composite bow when he referred to an archer "cornea plectra tenens."217 Although it is impossible to be categorical, given the absence of archeological remains, this evidence does suggest that the Franks were familiar with the reflex bow in the ninth century.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

90px-Hun_bow.jpg

Perhaps a memory from the old barbarian days?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

On this point...
    My comment on Durer’s drawings is valid. Just look up how he drew a rhinoceros. HERE Then you might understand why his bow drawings were represented in the manner shown and were not necessarily what the Irish used in Ireland.
    Let's indeed look at how Albrecht drew an Indian rhino.
    ps090470_l.jpg
    Photo of Indian Rhino
    800px-One_horned_Rhino.jpg
    The Indian rhino looks quite a bit different to the African species. Given Al had never seen such a thing before, his representation down to the tubercules on it's hide and leathery armour plates, even the hairy tips of it's ears is pretty damn good and recognisable as a particular species of rhino today, so not such a good example of what might have been his artistic licence.

There are better pics of said Rhino species but they're huge so...

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Thanks Wibbs,

That photo just goes to further prove my point. While being lectured on the esoteric extremities of bows such as arcane ‘horn string nocks’, I maintained (and still do) that an illustrator who has not seen an object will do his/her best in drawing it but cannot get it right. Now look at the extremities of Durer’s rhino – the scales on the legs, the large toes with interdigital space, the additional spiral neck horn, the riveted plates, the frilly tutu, etc. Sure, Bertie Durer was nearly right in the overall form but he gets it very wrong in the detail and text, when he says that the rhino ‘has the colour of a speckled tortoise and it is covered with thick scales’. Similarly, a couple of inches at the end of a stick, whether affixed, curved, carved or plain are not something I would accept just because some Continental artist attributed them to an Irish bow.

Most readers here are not going to wade through Halpin’s entire article (ten pages of lucid and interesting prose) , but Post#2 is specious because Halpin’s hypothesis and reference is based on a much earlier period. Additionally, the quote
    Halpin says there are not many sources for Gaelic archery compared to the many finds of Viking (or supposed viking) finds. He didn't go through the several historical documents which mentioned Irish archers attacking English forces and he didn't make any comment on pictorial evidence.
    misquotes context and is therefore misleading. Halpin clearly states that the musket killed the bow off in the 1500’s (pages 9 & 10).
    The Wiki pictures are from the 1500’s so are too late and false in countering Halpin’s arguments. I’m no idiot when it comes to early firearms, I have a reasonable understanding of bows but I would not have the temerity to tackle Dr. Halpin on the topic particularly as he probably is Ireland’s foremost expert on both medieval weapons and warfare. Selectively quoting him and paraphrasing his text (without reference) is less than honest.

A lot of the stuff in earlier posts is simple ‘cut and paste’ from Wiki, or taken from Halpin, re-jigged and unreferenced, so frankly it is not contributing much to the general pool of knowledge. Actually, the most interesting thing in the Neil O’Neil painting above is the Japanese armour on the ground, which went uncommented, as did Wright, the artist.

I lost interest on this topic waay back, I’m not going to bother..............

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Thanks Wibbs,

That photo just goes to further prove my point.
    Hardly.
    Now look at the extremities of Durer’s rhino – the scales on the legs, the large toes with interdigital space,
    Rhino's foot
    RhinoFoot.jpg
    Pretty "scaly" with clearly defined toes.
    the additional spiral neck horn, the riveted plates, the frilly tutu, etc. Sure, Bertie Durer was nearly right in the overall form but he gets it very wrong in the detail and text, when he says that the rhino ‘has the colour of a speckled tortoise and it is covered with thick scales’.
    For a start I'd argue they're not "rivets" he's drawing, plus it's unlikely he got close enough to feel it's skin and even if he did it would feel like thick scales. He clearly saw this animal, even though it would have been completely alien to him because it's accurate enough of a drawing right down to the folds in it's leathery armour to pin down the precise subspecies of rhino involved and bear in mind this was as I said an animal very alien to his experience. Bows he would have seen throughout his life, so if he was that accurate about such a strange beast, he'd likely be more accurate with a known object.

Of course this doesn't mean he saw Irish bows and bowmen and it's up in the air whether he conjured them up out of what he thought they'd look like, but I would contend that if he had seen them his rendition would be accurate. How accurate is he regarding more local arms? How accurate is he regarding other aspects of the Irishmen at arms. I do note he shows the glib/long fringe on the Irishmen, so he at least heard of that, if not observed it.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Thought this was a great reconstruction of medieval costume...

8198681689_4ea4ae5c0b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11 IrishSlinger

Would the sling not have been a more likely weapon to have been used in Gaelic warfare during this period, it has superior range to a self bow and is cheap to make, although it almost never survives in the archaeological record nor is it generally depicted or mentioned due to its dismissal as a low status weapon.

If they were recurve bows depicted would the glues used to bind the component materials not dissolve in the damp and rain of Ireland and Britain?

Would the sling not have been a more likely weapon to have been used in Gaelic warfare during this period, it has superior range to a self bow and is cheap to make, although it almost never survives in the archaeological record nor is it generally depicted or mentioned due to its dismissal as a low status weapon.

If they were recurve bows depicted would the glues used to bind the component materials not dissolve in the damp and rain of Ireland and Britain?

I now think the shape is more reflex than recurve.

Is it necessary to use glues in such bows and how much do we know about the performance of glues in damp weather?

I am not sure the sling would have a superior range then a heavy self bow. I could be wrong but bows can shoot pretty far. Self bows specifically can have excellent range if properly designed.

I hear this about glue regularly and I don't believe there would be any issue. Composite bows were used in very damp parts of the world without problems such as south China. I don't have any horn composites but I have a sinew backed wooded bow which depends on horn glue to hold the sinew tight on the bow. I never had problems with humidity, though admittedly I have modern central heating.

Its possible to add reflex or even recurves on self bows but it may not last.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 IrishSlinger

Probably no truth to the glue myth at all then! I am not sure where I read it tbh.

So how long before the middle ages were the Irish seriously using bows then? I am assuming they were not too popular before the Normans arrived?

As to the range of sling versus bow, a good slinger can average 200 metres with bi-conical clay or stone glandes, with lead about 300 metres. Is this farther than heavy self bows of the time?

Probably no truth to the glue myth at all then! I am not sure where I read it tbh.

So how long before the middle ages were the Irish seriously using bows then? I am assuming they were not too popular before the Normans arrived?

As to the range of sling versus bow, a good slinger can average 200 metres with bi-conical clay or stone glandes, with lead about 300 metres. Is this farther than heavy self bows of the time?

Sir - answering the last part of your post last, no, no medieval self-bow was capable of shooting much above 200 yards or so - if you read the contemporary accounts, and then move on to modern versions of the same thing.

On the other hand, I'm VERY interested in your claim that you can sling a bullet or other form of projectile as far as 300m - can you give me the source, or is this from your own experience?

And lastly - as a former member of the British Longbow Society and occasional backyard archer, I'm still trying to find ANY reference at all to the use of composite bows in England, Wales and Ireland in the period we are discussing. Would anybody here with clear evidence for the use of anything but a self-bow by the archers of the British Isles and Ireland please provide it.

tac

Here is a chart that covers my view.
    Mesolithic : Maybe
    Neolithic : Yes
    Bronze Age :Yes
    Iron Age : Maybe
    Early Medieval: Vikings yes but Irish no
    Later Medieval : Yes
    Sir - answering the last part of your post last, no, no medieval self-bow was capable of shooting much above 200 yards or so - if you read the contemporary accounts, and then move on to modern versions of the same thing.

On the other hand, I'm VERY interested in your claim that you can sling a bullet or other form of projectile as far as 300m - can you give me the source, or is this from your own experience?

And lastly - as a former member of the British Longbow Society and occasional backyard archer, I'm still trying to find ANY reference at all to the use of composite bows in England, Wales and Ireland in the period we are discussing. Would anybody here with clear evidence for the use of anything but a self-bow by the archers of the British Isles and Ireland please provide it.

tac
    For Ireland there is only the equivocal pictorial evidence and written evidence so that would not be enough for me.

I am not sure the sling would have a superior range then a heavy self bow. I could be wrong but bows can shoot pretty far. Self bows specifically can have excellent range if properly designed.

I hear this about glue regularly and I don't believe there would be any issue. Composite bows were used in very damp parts of the world without problems such as south China. I don't have any horn composites but I have a sinew backed wooded bow which depends on horn glue to hold the sinew tight on the bow. I never had problems with humidity, though admittedly I have modern central heating.

Its possible to add reflex or even recurves on self bows but it may not last.

Interesting rob, good to have an expert. Any chance of posting a photo of your sinew backed bow?

Iyo would reflex/recurve bows shoot further/with more power?

I posted above about a bow found that was dated to over 2,000 BC.

I'd be interested to hear more about distances/power etc in slinging especially if you have experience yourself.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Scotsmen_Hunting-Holinshed.jpg
    Woodcut of scotsmen hunting, from Holinshed's Chronicle, 1577. In his text Holinshed describes such 'wild Scots' inhabiting the Highland region as being called 'the Redshanks, or rough footed Scots, because they go barefooted and clad in mantles over their saffron shirts after the Irish manner'.
    Is it possible to make a self bow in that shape? I think there might be some confusion over self-bow/composite versus longbow/reflex (I know I am confused now :D)

Just found this now, it's a thread with plenty of pictures and most of these references already collected
    http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/f263/derricks-image-irelande-1581-irish-clothing-63778/

I found THIS in wiki - from the Guiness Book of Records -

According to the Guinness Book of World Records, the current record for the greatest distance achieved in hurling an object from a sling is: 477.10 m (1,565 ft 3 in), using a 127 cm (50 in) long sling and a 62 g (2.2 oz) dart. This was achieved by David Engvall at Baldwin Lake, California, USA on 13 September 1992. Those of a more traditional bent may prefer the Guinness record for slinging a stone: 437.10 m (1,434 ft 1 in), using a 129.5 cm (51.0 in) long sling and a 52 g (1.8 oz) ovoid stone, set by Larry Bray in Loa, Utah, USA on 21 August 1981.

More on composite/self/flat/recurved/reflexed bows in a minute.

tac

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

I found THIS in wiki - from the Guiness Book of Records -

According to the Guinness Book of World Records, the current record for the greatest distance achieved in hurling an object from a sling is: 477.10 m (1,565 ft 3 in), using a 127 cm (50 in) long sling and a 62 g (2.2 oz) dart. This was achieved by David Engvall at Baldwin Lake, California, USA on 13 September 1992. Those of a more traditional bent may prefer the Guinness record for slinging a stone: 437.10 m (1,434 ft 1 in), using a 129.5 cm (51.0 in) long sling and a 52 g (1.8 oz) ovoid stone, set by Larry Bray in Loa, Utah, USA on 21 August 1981.

More on composite/self/flat/recurved/reflexed bows in a minute.

tac

I once had occasion to spend a couple of months in the Curragh Camp pretending to be, among other things, a medieaval Welsh Archer.

During moments of boredom we discovered it was possible to launch the arrows significant distances with nothing more than a bootlace.

Basically you do a kind of half hitch at the end of the arrow and keep the lace under tension. You launch it a bit like the way Australian hunters use a spear thrower.

You can get a fair distance out of them I seem to recall them going some thing like 100m but I would want to try it again to verify.

As "artillery" I'm not sure how "aimable" they would be though.

Scotsmen_Hunting-Holinshed.jpg

Is it possible to make a self bow in that shape? I think there might be some confusion over self-bow/composite versus longbow/reflex (I know I am confused now :D)

Kay. Here's the skinny - A self bow is a bow that is made of ONE single piece of wood throughout its entire length. A bow that you may have made as a kid, using a bit of tree and a piece of string, is a self bow. Sure, you can jazz it up by making spiffy horn nocks to take the string, but the bow is still made of one piece of bendy wood.

A composite bow is one that is made - in a historical context - out of more than one material. True, the composite bow MAY incorporate wood in its construction, but derives its energy-storing capacity from the use of natural energy storing materials - sinew and horn - all of which are glued together in careful manufacturing process the makes a bow that is not only powerful for its size and draw weight, but ofen very short and handy for use on horseback. The Romans found this out the hard way from the Parthian and Scythian mounted archers, who were so handy that they could advance shooting arrows, and then, at the last moment, turn away and shoot over the horse's rump - hence the saying - 'the Parthian [parting] shot....'

Later the great Mongol armies of Mr G Khan proved almost unbeatable from their mass use of their teeny little composite bows - often less than three feet in length, but capable of easily outranging any opposing self bow. Please wath a remarkable demonstration of a Hungarian archer shooting the bow from horsback on YouTube...and having watched that, imagine what a hundred thousand of them, all heading in your direction, must have looked like.

So, composite bows flourished where trees did not.

As for the shape - that's easy - a long bow, when fully-drawn, SHOULD describe a perfect arc of a circle. The fancy curlicues we see on many medieaval bows as depicted in art and ecclesiatical murals are either fancy hon overlay string nocks, or the employment of a vibrant imagination on the part of the artist.

A recurve bow, broadly speaking, has tips that project forward when at rest - like a cupid's bow - and then at full draw simply straightens out a little to add power to the projection of the arrow by deflexing. In the case of th Mongol-style recurve bow, the handle or grip is actually inside the arc of the bow limbs, and in a long bow the handle is ON the arc of the limbs.

A look at any of the gazillion images on the internet will show you what I mean, as will a few minutes spend watching a bowyer making one on YouTube.

tac

• Advertisement

I once had occasion to spend a couple of months in the Curragh Camp pretending to be, among other things, a medieaval Welsh Archer.

During moments of boredom we discovered it was possible to launch the arrows significant distances with nothing more than a bootlace.

Basically you do a kind of half hitch at the end of the arrow and keep the lace under tension. You launch it a bit like the way Australian hunters use a spear thrower.

You can get a fair distance out of them I seem to recall them going some thing like 100m but I would want to try it again to verify.

As "artillery" I'm not sure how "aimable" they would be though.

Yup - great fun and called, for some unfathomable reason, French Arrows. Given the French habit of being on the receiving end of arrow storms, rather than sending them on their way, it seems to be an odd thing to call them. The word you seek, BTW, in an Australian context, is 'woomera'. In the far western hemisphere, it is called an 'atlatl'. The Europeans, it seems, never used it.

We used to groove the arrow to take the string, and simply wrap it around the grooves, which gave the string the necessary purchase on the arrow shaft. I remember nigh-on ****ping myself as I watched my first attempt clear the street, head over a small apartment block, and into a far-off backyard somewhere....never did find it, either.

tac

Advertisement