Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Communion & Confirmation allowances scrapped! Huzzah!

Options
  • 11-04-2013 9:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭

Grants for First Communion and Confirmation costs are to be discontinued, the Department of Social Protection has confirmed.

Up until now families in need were able to apply for funds for clothing costs.

Last year the department reduced the grant from €242 to €112.

Now it has confirmed that the allowance has been scrapped entirely this year.

Instead families in need can apply for an emergency needs payments but these cannot be used to cover religious ceremonies.

More than €3.4m was paid in Communion and Confirmation costs in 2011 and €1.5m was paid out last year.

A review of the guidelines on exceptional needs payments was carried out for the department by a working group made up of former Community Welfare Service staff.

We'll have to hope this government keeps the secularisation stuff going over the next few years, cos the Labour party are getting fooked out in the next election! :D

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Great news.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Let's hope the likes of St V de P follow suit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Animord

At last.

I can cope with so many things about religion in a calm and collected manner but for some reason this one is the straw that breaks my personal camel's back. The one that causes me to scream and shout and totally lose control.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭hyperborean

Dave! wrote: »
    We'll have to hope this government keeps the secularisation stuff going over the next few years, cos the Labour party are getting fooked out in the next election! :D

Once the labour party are gone it will be back to the old church groveling, FG backbenchers are entrenched in the church and have been fighting every secular change put in front of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

About time, hopefully other payments like the Christmas bonus will also follow suit.
    eviltwin wrote: »
    Let's hope the likes of St V de P follow suit.
    Since they're not a state body, I don't see the problem in them wasting their money on this if they want to.

Oddly enough I suspect the church is probably in favour of this, they have been vocal in the past of this wear your wealth display.

Though nothing wrong in wearing your wealth mind you, assuming it's your own wealth you're wearing and not everyone elses.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Delighted to hear that.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Ahh heyor, me little Rihanna needs to shyn like a diamund on her big day and Tyson needs new nikes for his, how am I sposed to afford a limo now?! bloody goverment givn all the money to dose forriners

Really though, good, let them make it in the school uniforms.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,387 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Attack on religion - No, fancy dresses etc are not part of the religious ceremony. It's a cultural thing, not a religious thing.
    Children will feel left out if others are wearing fancy dresses - Only if they're made to feel left out. Best course of action to have all children make them in their school clothes.
    Attack on the poor - Reduces financial burden on all parents if children make it in their uniforms. Don't need a fancy party either, that's a cultural thing, not a requirement
    Economic sense - That's the reason, despite what the religious will likely claim. It makes economic sense to take away these unnecessary payments.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,848 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

krudler wrote: »
    Ahh heyor, me little Rihanna needs to shyn like a diamund on her big day and Tyson needs new nikes for his, how am I sposed to afford a limo now?! bloody goverment givn all the money to dose forriners
    let's not try to make A&A sound like after hours?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Once the labour party are gone it will be back to the old church groveling, FG backbenchers are entrenched in the church and have been fighting every secular change put in front of them.
    That might depend if Angela gives them a choice between cutting Communion allowances or TD allowances. ;)

About time, hopefully other payments like the Christmas bonus will also follow suit.
    I've no problem with a Christmas allowance. It's a freakin' expensive time of year if you have kids. And people need something to look forward to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,243 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Penn wrote: »
    . . . Economic sense - That's the reason, despite what the religious will likely claim. It makes economic sense to take away these unnecessary payments.
    Money handed out in means-based transfer payments is almost immediately spent again, and in full, and so acts as a stimulus to the economy. That's why dole payments, for example, stimulate the economy more effectively than tax cuts.

I'm all in favour of ending grants for communion dresses, but it will make most economic sense if the amount saved is put back into other transfer payments to the financially-strapped.

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Money handed out in means-based transfer payments is almost immediately spent again, and in full, and so acts as a stimulus to the economy. That's why dole payments, for example, stimulate the economy more effectively than tax cuts.

I'm all in favour of ending grants for communion dresses, but it will make most economic sense if the amount saved is put back into other transfer payments to the financially-strapped.

The communion/confirmation allowance doesn't have that large of an effect because it's only during a certain period of the year and money is spent in certain shops.

I agree, using the money to raise child benefit or something would have a far greater benefit to the economy.

Dades wrote: »
    I've no problem with a Christmas allowance. It's a freakin' expensive time of year if you have kids. And people need something to look forward to.
    Must say I'm surprised to see you think Christmas should be somehow treated special.

Its just another day in the year, if people want to blow money on treats for it they should cough up the money themselves just like people have to do for any other day of the week.

I don't see Christmas a religious holiday - it's a global cultural holiday. And I really do believe that people need something like that to look forward to. Not having an extra payment at Christmas with all that 'mirth and cheer about' would just make it miserable for those unable to save for a few toys for the kids, and the kids themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭wench

The christmas bonus was one of the first to go - hasn't been paid since 2008

• Registered Users Posts: 26,243 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Penn wrote: »
    The communion/confirmation allowance doesn't have that large of an effect because it's only during a certain period of the year and money is spent in certain shops.

I agree, using the money to raise child benefit or something would have a far greater benefit to the economy.
    Well, in the scheme of things, it's a trivial amount of money, in terms of stimulating the economy, and it would be roundings of a cent in the difference it would make to children's allowance payments. But I'd be quite happy to see the same amount spend in other "emergency grants" to people in transient or short-term need.

wench wrote: »
    Excellent, I stand corrected.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Really though, good, let them make it in the school uniforms.

u ok hun xxx

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

And actually anybody can still get a payment under the exceptional needs from there CWO they give out the payment for anything from communions-debs dresses and lingerie yes lingerie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭SebBerkovich

this will do untold damage this will do to the Communion and Confirmation Shop economy. Good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

wench wrote: »

Was just going to say just that, as the good Rev's comment had me spitting feathers. My comment wasn't so polite as yours. Well done on sticking to the facts.
    Obliq has managed to stand-down - three cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Cant wait for liveline today

iDave wrote: »
    u ok hun xxx

Don't wanna say on ere :pac:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Dave! wrote: »
    Communion & Confirmation allowances scrapped!
    Has Quinn tweeted about this unprecedented attack on religion yet?

And what about Waters on Friday -- I can hear him scrabbling about for his thesaurus already!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

snd me PM chick :):) x0x0x0x0x

robindch wrote: »

Not yet. Too busy focusing on abortion stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

This is a fundamental attack on people's right to religious freedom by denying them the ability, not forcibly, but functionally, to celebrate their child's first communion in a dignified manner.

*cough*, sorry just channeling the Iona centre there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

robindch wrote: »

And what about Waters on Friday -- I can hear him scrabbling about for his thesaurus already!

Quickmeme won't let me hotlink. :(
    http://www.quickmeme.com/meme/3tuj02/
    qm.gif

u ok hun xxx
    snd me PM chick :):) x0x0x0x0x
    Take it to Facebook, kids.

• Advertisement

seamus wrote: »
    This is a fundamental attack on people's right to religious freedom by denying them the ability, not forcibly, but functionally, to celebrate their child's first communion in a dignified manner.

*cough*, sorry just channeling the Iona centre there.

Did they actually say that?

Advertisement