Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Irish army cup

Options
  • 05-03-2013 11:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭

Came across an old Irish Army tea/coffee cup recently at a car boot sale. It was made in Carrigaline, Cork. It has the Irish army FF crest and underneath are the initials O.N.C. Anybody know what these initials stand for? It is definitely ONC and not ONE.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,378 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

When you say the initials ONC are 'underneath', do you mean underneath the FF crest or underneath the cup itself?

If it's visible on the cup when in use, maybe it's the Irish abbreviation for 'NCO' so the cup is from an NCO's mess?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭TOMP

coylemj wrote: »
    When you say the initials ONC are 'underneath', do you mean underneath the FF crest or underneath the cup itself?

If it's visible on the cup when in use, maybe it's the Irish abbreviation for 'NCO' so the cup is from an NCO's mess?

The initials are just underneath the FF/Oglaigh logo/crest. I was wondering if it was a relic from the Irish UN Congo operations in 1960's, but that was officially known as ONUC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

What colour is the FF crest? Have an inkling that they may be coloured according to branch of the DF.

Have a dark blue logo mug that is from the Naval Service, but has no additional lettering.

What colour is the FF crest? Have an inkling that they may be coloured according to branch of the DF.

Have a dark blue logo mug that is from the Naval Service, but has no additional lettering.

the colour is blue or dark blue

TOMP wrote: »
    the colour is blue or dark blue

Ok, they must be all the same so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,378 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

TOMP wrote: »
    The initials are just underneath the FF/Oglaigh logo/crest. I was wondering if it was a relic from the Irish UN Congo operations in 1960's, but that was officially known as ONUC.

Those lads brought back spears, tom tom drums and tribal masks i.e. African artefacts, I doubt if any of them would have considered an Irish army cup a 'souvenir' worth bringing home.

Of course the last battalion might have brought back the crockery but frankly I doubt they would have bothered, unless the BQMS on the last trip was a stickler for the inventory!

May have lain in stores and never went out, and/or just used with regular crockery?
    Pic would be nice.

Here is pic, sorry for blurry image

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭enfield

ONC are the initials for Non Commissioned Officer in Irish.
    Tom.

Thanks to enfield and all who replied

Coylemj, your hunch was correct.

Think I found actual wording defence forces website

Oifigeach Neamhchoimisiúnaithe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Dude111

Wow thank you for the picture!!!!!!! -- Looks nice icon7.gif

Advertisement