Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Temple Bar Pub

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

martomcg wrote: »
    You cant compare airport prices to pub prices. Airports are extortionate for all items.

The reason they can get away with it is the tourists (non-irish) dont drink like we do and most would have 1-3 drinks on a night out

Well comparing it to Amsterdam Schiphol Airport, Geneva International, Rome Fiumcino and Venice Marco Polo it was over double the price of any of them ;)

Saying that you could pay 8 euro for a pint in the Center of Amsterdam, whereas id you go a bit further out from the center your only paying 4.50.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Nor should pubs in Temple Bar be compared with other pubs in town. We're not alone here. All around the world pubs in tourist areas charge extortionate prices. Ever had a drink in St. Mark's square in Venice or near the Eiffel Tower in Paris? Then you'll know what I mean.

I have found comparisons to be a very fluid thing....for example I spent a very comfortable afternoon sitting on Monaco's Quai Albert 1er sipping two Café au Lait and munching a Crépe Confiture whilst watching the comings and goings of the (really) wealthy.

The total cost ?........€9.50.

Only problem was having to keep in the shade....:rolleyes:

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Site Banned Posts: 165 ✭✭narddog

sandin wrote: »

At least in Temple Bar you will get good service and a decent atmosphere.

Seriously.......

At least in Temple Bar you will get good service and a decent atmosphere.

Me Hole

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

narddog wrote: »
    Seriously.......
    Me Hole

Not sure about 2am in the morning, but certainly early evenings I have only ever received excellent service from any establishment I've been in. As for prices, its usually about €4.60 - €4.90 for guinness/smithwicks and about €4.80-€5.40 for lagers. These obviously increase after 11pm.

As for tourists thinking it a rip-off, please see attached a price list from piano & pitcher in birmingham - a bog standard chain of pubs in UK with ****e service like most UK pubs. (actually service was utterly appalling)
    Most pints are £3.80 - £4.20 (4.50-5.00) as are most bottles.

That's about the same daytime price as most city pubs in Ireland - so there is NO surprise for tourists as prices are NOT out of sync with any sort of "norm".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭xpletiv

If you go to Paris, my advice is not to enter a pub. €9 is the norm. In Frankfurt €6 is quite normal for a 400ml glass.

Just to note the Paris thing - their beers are much higher percentage, so its like drinking 2 pints in one go.

Anyway, fair play for walking out. I would have done the same, and it shows the pub by voting where to drink with your feet. Frack that.

So about temple bar; this always bothered me that this is considered a tourist spot. Its a tourist spot because the Irish made it a excellent drinking district. Its just the scabby owners lining their pockets as much as possible. Irish dont drink in Temple Bar any more, or if they do, only one and pre drink at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭neckedit

rubadub wrote: »
    So did they actually pour the drink, i.e. did you ask the price first and walk out or did some other poor mug probably end up with your stale pints after you left?

If they did pour it I hope in future you have learned to enquire about prices beforehand. Otherwise its like going into a restaurant ordering a meal and only asking about prices when it is served and walking out again. If you think you are going to be concerned then simply ask before hand, it is no secret that pints can be very expensive, it is weird the way people treat pubs so differently in this regard, and the publicans know full well and take advantage.

If they do pour out the drinks or throw out the food they will only increase the prices further to cover their loss.

Im sorry but does any one ask the price of a round before they order??
    And I wouldn't of thought the Pints where hanging around too long after they where refused, well definitely not time to go stale!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

and dead right you were too.problem with temple bar is that pubs there wouldn't really cater for 'regulars' they are more than happy to Rob tourists blind,and send them home with a bad taste in their mouth.all too often its visitors from the UK get ripped off,especially if they are not used to the euro.Dublin promotes itself as a drinking mecca the world over,this is a joke.i would hazard a guess that only Scandinavian countries,Japan and maybe Switzerland would top Ireland(especially Dublin) in the ridiculous pub prices.

Have you been to Canada, most pubs charge $7-$8 for what they say is a pint when its only 16oz as opposed to 20z and dont forget the $1 tip after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

If they do pour out the drinks or throw out the food they will only increase the prices further to cover their loss.
    listermint wrote: »
    You made that part up. ridiculous.
    I made it up? I really don't think I can take credit for the extremely obvious and basic practice of having to account for wastage when running a business. Its part & parcel of the cost of running a business.
    listermint wrote: »
    and chances are the pints where recycled. put behind the bar until some other dupe came up and paid the price for them.
    yeah, I already made this point :rolleyes:
    neckedit wrote: »
    Im sorry but does any one ask the price of a round before they order??
    I have seen it. It is not common and that was the very point I was making.
    If you think you are going to be concerned then simply ask before hand, it is no secret that pints can be very expensive, it is weird the way people treat pubs so differently in this regard, and the publicans know full well and take advantage.
    Maybe they are embarrassed at appearing stingy or something, really is weird how they will ask prices in other establishments, even try and bargain people down, but want to appear all flash or something in a bar, like money is no object.
    And I wouldn't of thought the Pints where hanging around too long after they where refused, well definitely not time to go stale!
    I have seen barmen try and give me pints in fairly empty pubs and challenged them, dunno how long they were hanging around. I have often seen dead looking guinness behind bars too, probably going to be topped up with a new head and given to some poor sod, perhaps because some other guy refused to ask the price beforehand, for whatever reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭burstbuckle

As for tourists thinking it a rip-off, please see attached a price list from piano & pitcher in birmingham - a bog standard chain of pubs in UK with ****e service like most UK pubs. (actually service was utterly appalling)
    Most pints are £3.80 - £4.20 (4.50-5.00) as are most bottles.

That's about the same daytime price as most city pubs in Ireland - so there is NO surprise for tourists as prices are NOT out of sync with any sort of "norm".
    [/QUOTE]

Have to say I agree the UK is the worst for service I've ever been.They wouldn't last 2 mins in a pub in Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 196 ✭✭shed head

So did they actually pour the drink, i.e. did you ask the price first and walk out or did some other poor mug probably end up with your stale pints after you left?

If they did pour it I hope in future you have learned to enquire about prices beforehand. Otherwise its like going into a restaurant ordering a meal and only asking about prices when it is served and walking out again. If you think you are going to be concerned then simply ask before hand, it is no secret that pints can be very expensive, it is weird the way people treat pubs so differently in this regard, and the publicans know full well and take advantage.

Do you drink mate? I am not asking the price and then order a pint should the price be right!!! We want a beer, we understand it will be pricey, we accept that, otherwise we would drink Dutch gold in the local park or better still in a do gooders back garden ( post your address up please), however we will not accept farcical prices!!

Yes he pulled the pints, held them behind the bar and I suspect were handed to a tourist at some stage!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭neckedit

I have seen barmen try and give me pints in fairly empty pubs and challenged them, dunno how long they were hanging around. I have often seen dead looking guinness behind bars too, probably going to be topped up with a new head and given to some poor sod, perhaps because some other guy refused to ask the price beforehand, for whatever reason.[/QUOTE]

I understand that in a quiet pub, But we are talking about Temple Bar on a busy night, those pints, when refused where on the next tray with in seconds, with out barman or punter blinking an eye, If you are in any of them on any gen night with a crowd, they line up the pints knowing they'll be sold.
    And I am sorry, But I have worked in bars a lot as a student and for a few years after, I never once was asked the price of a round of drinks....let alone a round.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 idlebones

triple-M wrote: »
    on a similar note is there any requirement for pubs to have prices displayed like they do in shops or restaurants?

Its the law that they have to have their prices on display.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Have you been to Canada, most pubs charge $7-$8 for what they say is a pint when its only 16oz as opposed to 20z and dont forget the $1 tip after that.
    I've never been,what's 7 or 8 Canadian dollars in our money?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

I've never been,what's 7 or 8 Canadian dollars in our money?

Around 6 Eur.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Nappy327

I was told its 7.50€ for pint of Guinness after 11pm now

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭countrynosebag

My trip to Dublin would be long and arduous now and, it would involve at least one night stay.
    Obviously my visitors want to do a little "tourist" thing and visit places like Temple Bar. I try to pay as they pay fares but I simply could not afford this type of money for the guiness they all want to try!
    Ireland is expensive and to visit a country where the weather is guaranteed to be be good and the costs turn out to be at least half of these costs does make sense
    I cannot blame them. I get less visits and I am saddened by this.
    A bargain package for treasured sister and I, and ond to support 3 generations, 2 little grandchildren would be more than welcome
    Cork way would be the most useful. Major areas have so many points of interest and beauty spots we could get more over to Ireland with a little more thought.

Ireland is expensive and to visit a country where the weather is guaranteed to be be good and the costs turn out to be at least half of these costs does make sense

Comparatively Ireland's grand to visit.

I usually pay around 10-11 euros per day to rent a car with unlimited kilometers.

A decent hotel can come in at around 70-80 euros per night, with B&Bs ranging from 30-60 euros a night depending on where they are.

Of course if you go to the Big City there's going to be a premium, same as any country, but I never found it to be worse than most other countries in Benelux, or Germany/France.

Public Transport sucks though ... but I always rent a car anyway so its not really a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭petronius

I had a couple of bad experiences with the Temple Bar Pub,
    once with english relatives and colleagues from abroad visiting Ireland a few years back
    One of the girls was pickpocketed and the manager and door staff were very unhelpful!
    Also one of my irish colleagues and visiting manager were refused entry by a power trip bouncer
    The Temple Bar Pub must have the most illegal smoking area in a bar in Dublin! The toilets are a disgrace

Other bars in the area are much better and my foreign colleagues loved, Farringtons (although they thought it got very loud), The VAT Bar where we actually had a good chat as well as some fine music and the Left Bank!
    Now work tends to bring clients and visiting colleagues to these places and the Brazen Head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

Nappy327 wrote: »

"Told" Do you believe everything you are "told"?

Either find out what it is or don't post second hand unverified information.

• Advertisement

Nappy327 wrote: »

No, its 7.50 for a pint bottle of Bulmers.

A pint is 6.80.

TempleBar.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭TheBigGreen

52F2C0F9-126E-42AB-95ED-1961FA00DA5C_zpswetentcf.jpg

The place was PACKED, they make some money!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭petronius

I think it is a disgrace the way they put the price up after midnight..
    Was in the Leftbank/Gogartys some time ago with colleagues and they handed out some free finger food which was a much appreciated by my work colleagues. (lessened the blow of the price of the pint)

petronius wrote: »
    I think it is a disgrace the way they put the price up after midnight.
    They have to pay for the late licence, and some pay the staff more too, like takeaways who put the price up. I would prefer the higher price after hours than a higher price all day.

Its a disgrace that they don't allow these businesses to open 24hours if they so wish. The dail bar gets to open late but its like they are still in denial that people other than themselves do not always work 9-5 jobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

They have to pay for the late licence, and some pay the staff more too, like takeaways who put the price up. I would prefer the higher price after hours than a higher price all day.

Its a disgrace that they don't allow these businesses to open 24hours if they so wish. The dail bar gets to open late but its like they are still in denial that people other than themselves do not always work 9-5 jobs.

heard it all before.... More customers at those hours more than covers the shortfall. no excuse. Why do they put the prices up very conveniently at busy periods then?

Why do they put the prices up very conveniently at busy periods then?
    To maximise profits, which is the goal of most businesses. I think it was the very first thing I was taught in commerce class when I was 12 or 13.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

If people don't like it, they can vote with their feet. If I'm charged an arm and a leg for a pint, I certainly won't be buying a second one.

Trick me once, shame on you. Trick me twice, shame on me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

I was there the weekend with two others €18.90 for 2 pints Heineken and 1 pint Guinness, the most expensive of the weekend, the cheapest round was in a country pub on the way down home was €12.10, some difference.

If people don't like it, they can vote with their feet. If I'm charged an arm and a leg for a pint, I certainly won't be buying a second one.
    If people got in the habit of asking prices first you would not be buying the first pint in. It would be great if that culture started happening, and don't tell me about the ridiculous pricelist law, it is extremely limited, they need to only list a single lager on it.

People are going out buying 8-10 pints at €6-7 a pop. If they went out looking to buy say 10 t-shirts at €6-7 I doubt they wouldn't bother finding out the price first.

• Advertisement

If people got in the habit of asking prices first you would not be buying the first pint in. It would be great if that culture started happening, and don't tell me about the ridiculous pricelist law, it is extremely limited, they need to only list a single lager on it.

People are going out buying 8-10 pints at €6-7 a pop. If they went out looking to buy say 10 t-shirts at €6-7 I doubt they wouldn't bother finding out the price first.

I did this in JFK Airport, I got the response "Well if you have to ask Sir then you probably cannot afford it" They didn't have prices on anything :P

He then said Bud light started at 11 dollars.

I replied with "No, I asked you how much it was for a beer" :P

Advertisement