Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lets all be anxious/depressed together.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,101 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

I had a massive meltdown on Thursday evening after a stupid argument at home, I locked myself in my room and took 20 solpadeine max tablets each containing 500mg of paracetamol, I have a meeting coming up this week with my to date unhelpful psychologist, I spent several hours in hospital on Friday on a drip being checked on to see if there was any damage, I left after 7pm as they wanted to keep me in over night and I said no, since then I have been up and down feelings wise, I am scared I will do it again as I still have a large stock pile of pills in my reach at the moment, I just don't want to go on with all this ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

neemish wrote: »
    Are you ok?

Thanks, but no. I tried to watch the matrix to take my mind off things but every frame keanu reeves was in a spent studying his hairline. I feel desperately bad, and having been on the brink of killing myself a couple of times I'm afraid that if I stay around too long (given I'm 25) with this sort of pain it MUST be how psycho's are made. I don't want to stay around but I'm afraid to death of killing myself, and then I stay around for years, my mental health declines further and I end up being one of those freaks on the news... just in an awful awful place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

Thanks, but no. I tried to watch the matrix to take my mind off things but every frame keanu reeves was in a spent studying his hairline. I feel desperately bad, and having been on the brink of killing myself a couple of times I'm afraid that if I stay around too long (given I'm 25) with this sort of pain it MUST be how psycho's are made. I don't want to stay around but I'm afraid to death of killing myself, and then I stay around for years, my mental health declines further and I end up being one of those freaks on the news... just in an awful awful place.

When you're in that frame of mind, you tend to think negatively as you are there. There is hope for the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Hersheys

I hate myself. Not a little, a lot.

I am stuck in my own head, so caught up. Such urges to cut, thoughts of more. If I could have got my hands on a lot of meds today I would have gone for it. I keep all my meds in work so I can't access them.

But I work tomorrow. It brings such temptation.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Cliona99

Having read back a few pages I feel a bit stupid and out of place here. I've thought about suicide many times lately but one feeling always stops me; I feel like the burden my family/friends have to bear with putting up with me, worrying about me, supporting me, etc. is slightly less than the burden of having a dead sister/friend for the rest of their lives. I've had friends try to kill themselves and the guilt and shame you feel for not helping or being there for them enough is awful. No matter how much they tell you 'there's nothing anyone could have done.' I think no matter how careful and detailed the letter I'd compose absolving them of all blame and expressing how grateful I am to them for putting up with me over the past ten years, it wouldn't stop them blaming themselves and feeling soul-destroying guilt. So that's why I don't do it. I'm slightly less of a burden alive than dead. The minute that seesaw tips in the other direction...hopefully it won't happen.

My point was supposed to be, I'm not as depressed as some people on here. I feel like I'm being melodramatic having read what some of you are dealing with. My heart sincerely goes out to you. Please keep trying and holding on. People love you and care about you and would be devastated to lose you. Best of luck to everyone here. And if anyone needs a laugh, I'd recommend the website damnyouautocorrect.com. At least I think it's .com. Guaranteed giggles.

(I'll come back for my original ramble another day!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

My main issue is actually motivating myself to go to the gp to get whatever referral I need. Ages ago I intended on going to counselling but I'm extremely unwilling to divulge my issues to anyone in person. I'm in my final year of college and I've gone out a handful of times, but social interactions with people terrify me. I have a highly unsuccessful past in relationships and any sense of confidence or self-esteem has effectively disappeared. I don't even have any proper friends anymore, I have people I know but that's about it.

I'm supposed to write a dissertation during the next two months and I'm not even sure if there's enough material for the topic i'm writing on, but i'm too numb to even care about if i'm negatively affecting my post-graduate options. I can't focus on anything including my education. I worry about everything else in my life except for the thing that decides much of my future. I'll probably begin to care once it gets closer.

I'm in a constant state of tiredness. Up until recently, I was sleeping excessively but the sleep was broken. Now i'm having a broken sleep and waking after a few hours and just mulling over all my issues, I don't want to get up. I feel like i've become self-involved and have grown to hate myself over the past few years.

There's a sort of funny part to this, I've been putting on a facade of being happy around people so very few people would assume that i'm an unhappy person. In fact, I've had people tell me that i'm extremely calm and confident, this is possibly because they've seen me in very few situations where i'd put myself out there, if any. My family were somewhat aware of me being depressed but I think they assume that i'm fine now.

Admittedly, I have the odd week where I feel fine and motivated to achieve a goal but generally that doesn't occur as I just slip back into this.

I'm not even sure if I should post this as I don't really know if people or if someone will think I'm making a big deal about nothing. It's somewhat of a vague fraction of my issues, but i've been things fairly difficult as of recent so I needed to vent. Thanks for reading.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

Remember it's all confidential Corkfeen, those counsellors have heard stories like yours many times before and are there to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RubyXI

Anyone have any advise on how to approach a first date? It's been so long since I've done it. The thought of it terrifies me now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Just relax and be yourself. It may sound cliche but there's not much else to it. Don't try and be someone you're not, it'll come out eventually. Good luck.

I've been feeling good lately but today I was reminded of something I did in the past and it made me feel like a ****. Now, I can't escape the feeling and it's bringing me down.

Corkfeen, you sound exactly the way I felt when I went into counselling. I'd say go for it. I'm not sure if it's in all colleges but in mine I could go to free counselling on campus. It was a great help and I'd highly recommend it if you're college has the option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

I had a massive meltdown on Thursday evening after a stupid argument at home, I locked myself in my room and took 20 solpadeine max tablets each containing 500mg of paracetamol, I have a meeting coming up this week with my to date unhelpful psychologist, I spent several hours in hospital on Friday on a drip being checked on to see if there was any damage, I left after 7pm as they wanted to keep me in over night and I said no, since then I have been up and down feelings wise, I am scared I will do it again as I still have a large stock pile of pills in my reach at the moment, I just don't want to go on with all this ****.

Is there anyone who you trust that you could ask to keep an eye on you and take away the pills/anything else? My friends used to take any of mine away and hide the knives in the kitchen :o also could you ask about changing to a different psychiatrist? There is usually more than 1 dealing with each area. If you don't want to make it awkward in case it can't be done you could say that the days they see people on doesn't suit anymore or something.
    Hersheys wrote: »
    I hate myself. Not a little, a lot.

I am stuck in my own head, so caught up. Such urges to cut, thoughts of more. If I could have got my hands on a lot of meds today I would have gone for it. I keep all my meds in work so I can't access them.

But I work tomorrow. It brings such temptation.

Hope things get better for you. Maybe put a note or something where you keep your tablets saying "Things will get better". I used to try use that as a mantra back when things were really bad. Even if you don't believe it, it can help a bit.
    Cliona99 wrote: »
    Having read back a few pages I feel a bit stupid and out of place here. I've thought about suicide many times lately but one feeling always stops me; I feel like the burden my family/friends have to bear with putting up with me, worrying about me, supporting me, etc. is slightly less than the burden of having a dead sister/friend for the rest of their lives. I've had friends try to kill themselves and the guilt and shame you feel for not helping or being there for them enough is awful. No matter how much they tell you 'there's nothing anyone could have done.' I think no matter how careful and detailed the letter I'd compose absolving them of all blame and expressing how grateful I am to them for putting up with me over the past ten years, it wouldn't stop them blaming themselves and feeling soul-destroying guilt. So that's why I don't do it. I'm slightly less of a burden alive than dead. The minute that seesaw tips in the other direction...hopefully it won't happen.

My point was supposed to be, I'm not as depressed as some people on here. I feel like I'm being melodramatic having read what some of you are dealing with. My heart sincerely goes out to you. Please keep trying and holding on. People love you and care about you and would be devastated to lose you. Best of luck to everyone here. And if anyone needs a laugh, I'd recommend the website damnyouautocorrect.com. At least I think it's .com. Guaranteed giggles.

(I'll come back for my original ramble another day!)

Seriously, I imagine most people here will have felt like that at some stage. I used to feel guilty and stupid because I didn't cut (even though I self-harmed in other ways) because I thought that proved that I wasn't really sick. Anyways, this thread is here to support anyone who feels depressed, even if it's only a short-term thing or you think it's not as bad as everyone else's. I'm in a pretty decent place at the minute (not actively suicidal 90% of the time and motivation, mood and stuff is generally okay), but I still like to post here once in a while anyway. Hope things feel a bit better for you soon :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I'm 20 and BiPolar and I'm finding it very difficult to find friends who I can actually talk to about everything. I don't want to be dishing out all my issues but at the same time I find talking really helpful. I hate going out to clubs for some bizarre reason because I actually like it but have it in my head I don't and then end up leaving earlier feeling like crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Ladyblackadder

phi3 wrote: »
    Anyone have any advise on how to approach a first date? It's been so long since I've done it. The thought of it terrifies me now.
    Don't have too high expectations of yourself or your date and just enjoy yourself as much as possible. If you overthink it, you'll put pressure on yourself and stress yourself out. Have a nice time and try to help your date have a good time and leave it at that. I don't know if that helps you in any way but remember it's the other persons first date too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RubyXI

Don't have too high expectations of yourself or your date and just enjoy yourself as much as possible. If you overthink it, you'll put pressure on yourself and stress yourself out. Have a nice time and try to help your date have a good time and leave it at that. I don't know if that helps you in any way but remember it's the other persons first date too :)

Ya I think I need to remember he's going to be scared too -possibly not to the same degree- and that he'll be trying to impress me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

06:40 and in bed awake and just crying, so stupid. Forgot to do something, for my wife last night (don't know how), to make it easier to get away to work and put her under pressure. Been just gazing at the wall for the past 45 minutes. I'm pretty much useless, of late.

Can't see myself getting out of the bed today.

06:40 and in bed awake and just crying, so stupid. Forgot to do something, for my wife last night (don't know how), to make it easier to get away to work and put her under pressure. Been just gazing at the wall for the past 45 minutes. I'm pretty much useless, of late.

Can't see myself getting out of the bed today.

I've felt a down period coming for a few days now. Knew that I would **** something up, as usual, to trigger it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

One minute I feel amazing and the next I feel like absolute crap! It makes it so hard to do a full day in college. It's so tiring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

College has been cancelled two days in a row now, thank god. I keep sleeping right through my alarm, takes a good two hours to get out to rathmines.

I saw robbingbandit on sunday, little aside :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭neemish

Very little sleep last night - about two hours. Supposed to be working until about 10pm tonight but don't know how I'm going to last that long. And then, because it's so late, I won't be able to take anything to help me sleep tonight so will start all over again. FML

neemish wrote: »
    Very little sleep last night - about two hours. Supposed to be working until about 10pm tonight but don't know how I'm going to last that long. And then, because it's so late, I won't be able to take anything to help me sleep tonight so will start all over again. FML

Hugs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭itsnotmyname

Just stay calm and relaxed phi ......dont let it build too much in your mind ....be yourself, and enjoy the nite !! ....loadsa luck man .......xxxxxxxxxxxx

Had about 7 hours uninterrupted sleep. I know I dreamt, I woke up afraid & in a panic. But it didn't help my thoughts, the sleep like.

I've no idea what to do.

I remembered my dreams.

Not very nice :(

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Ladyblackadder

Very low day today so far. Hardly any energy. Worried about money, like so many others but feel useless and unabe to do anything about it. I don't want to stew in it but it's helpful to have somewhere to come and open up about it. I don't want to burden my kids with my low moods but it's not good to keep it bottled up.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Kaching

Feel surprisingly well today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Getting college exam results results tomorrow and I'm pretty much positive I've failed one of them. I don't know how I feel about it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭MrMischief

Just an introduction really as i've read through a few pages of this thread. I was diagnosed with GAD (General Anxiety Disorder) during the week and in someway i'm kinda relieved to be given some form of a diagnosis that i can now work on treating. I've had exaggerated feelings of anxiety and then depression the last few weeks so enough was enough and i went and lay on someones couch for an hour. Next week we'll be exploring some tools and techniques one can use to control these feelings etc

To me, these tools/techniques seem to be the application of common sense and i'm a little worried (the irony wha!) i wont have the patience to or discipline to stick at it.

Any thoughts or advice?

My symptoms
    - can never switch off thinking, both good and bad thoughts.
    - always fear something bad is going to happen to me and the people around me
    - worry about trivial things like what if i sleep in tomorrow (and i havent got through today yet)
    - triple check everything
    - low self asteem and short fuse when anxious

:pac:

I'm in a state tonight. So panicked. Can't get rid of the bad thoughts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Captain Graphite

I've been in counselling for the past three weeks. My counsellor is a really nice woman, who listens to everything I have to say....but thus far she hasn't really given me any suggestions as to how I can improve my life or my way of thinking. She seems like an intelligent, perfectly competent person.....so I can only assume that I'm the problem; I'm so broken and stubborn and set in my self-defeating ways that she can't actually help me at all. Pretty annoying, depressing thought.....especially considering we only have six weeks worth of sessions and we're already halfway through it. I know she gets paid to deal with stuff like this but I can't help but feel like I'm just wasting her time and that she'd be much better off listening to someone she could actually help and give solid advice to. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭1dave123

Hi MrMichief

I read your note with interest and thanks for posting. If it is any consolation u r not alone. I have identical symptoms and I look forward to hearing how you get on with your therapist. Perhaps I can pick up a tip or two.

One thing I have found useful in recent weeks is a magnesium supplement. I certainly feel more relaxed and less prone to panic. The impact was noticeable within a couple of days of taking and whilst it may be a placebo effect I don't think so. I say this because I have been trying lots of things (iron, tyrosine, SSRIs etc) none of which had any beneficial effects.

It may not work for anyone else but the magnesium supplement seems to have helped me. To date I have been taking magnesium oxide which actually is the least absorbable form of magnesium. This week I am expecting to receive a supply of magnesium glycinate (ordered it on internet). This is a much more absorbable version of magnesium so much more potent - it will be interesting to see if the benefits continue.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement