Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Obsolete words that shouldn't be

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

tac foley wrote: »
    I play trains along with three old boys in their 70's, and they ALL use them. All three have a lifetime working as farm labourers and traction/road locomotive drivers - the kind of things you'd still see at county show - and, in fact, all three still drive or fire some big steamers.

Perhaps the folks you knew were too high up the property ladder to use dialect, but all three of my acquaintances, talking together, are almost totally incomprehensible.

tac
    Well one lad I bowl with is a 72 year old Suffolk man, born and raised, worked as a labourer in his youth before working in a Suffolk Brewery as a truck driver, never got high on the property ladder I can assure you. I've never heard him say hither, thither or yonder. :( Another lad is in his late 50's and works the oil rigs in the North Sea so maybe he has lots of money but he's no public schoolboy, it was all hard graft. Perhaps his years on the rigs have removed any dialect he had. Also I've attended the South Suffolk show for two years running now and while I've heard many local accents I've not really heard those particular words being used. I love dialect so it's nice to hear it in use naturally.

I'm not saying they aren't used, I was asking what parts of East Anglia you've heard them used in so that I can keep an ear out for them. Personally I heard distant relatives of mine from the back end of Cavan using 'yonder' for sure!

"Aye, he lives over yonder hill...' :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

I have read recently (source not to hand) that "Eeny meeny miny mo" is very old indeed, and is thought to be in continuous use since prehistoric times.

Yes, pre-Celtic 'remembered' words, it is said, one of a number of 'counting' words or games that have survived. I posted something like this long ago, and cited the Cumbrian/Northumbrian sheep counting words, still used today in auctions and by shepherds -'Yan, tan, tethera etc'.

Those are Old Celtic - see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yan_tan_tethera

tac

endacl wrote: »
    We definitely should still be using the correct terms for the subdivisions on the imperial side of a ruler. The world would be a jollier place entirely if people still referred to the barleycorn (third of an inch), and the poppyseed (quarter of a barleycorn).

On a side note, thanks OP. Never thought I'd have the opportunity to drop these ones into a conversation!

As a shooter, I'm constantly using 'grains' to describe the weight of bullets and propellant. Based on the actual weight of 7000 wheat grains to make a pound, ratified in the late medieval period here in UK.

tac

r3nu4l wrote: »
    I'm not saying they aren't used, I was asking what parts of East Anglia you've heard them used in so that I can keep an ear out for them. Personally I heard distant relatives of mine from the back end of Cavan using 'yonder' for sure!

"Aye, he lives over yonder hill...' :)

Sir, I'm not given to lying. I have no advanced linguistic theory to prove to anybody. All I know is what I hear them saying.

Where I live in East Anglia is moot, as two of them are from Norfolk and the other is from the borders with Suffolk. I live in neither county.

Like you I have an interest in languages, I use at least two, sometimes three, every day of my life, and have an excellent ear, like most polyglots.

My 'picky ear' was very helpful to me in Northern Ireland on occasions.

tac

Sir, I'm not given to lying.

As we say in Dublin...Jayziz, relax de cacks will ya? I was just bleedin' askin'! There's dialect for you, though admittedly, not a dialect I employ very often :)

Seiously, I wasn't doubting that the terms are in use I was only trying to determine if they were localised to a small part of East Anglia rather than the whole region. I've lived in Cambridgeshire and West Suffolk for the best part of 9 years and hadn't heard them in use so I wondered if the dialect was perhaps more common in, (rural) Norfolk, for example.

I can understand local dialect being diluted in Cambridge (although the Cambridge town accent and some dialect does live on) due to the fact that it's a small city with a massive percentage of the population being international rather than local. The same goes for many towns in the region, language evolves more quickly and dialect becomes more infrequent in large towns so I assumed that perhaps these terms and this dialect were in daily use in more rural locations. As I live in the region, I'd love to hear it and now that I'm more aware of it, perhaps I will :)

As I say, in Cavan, thirty years ago at lease, my distant relatives used 'yonder' quite a lot. Personally I've used 'hithter' and 'thither' myself but not as part of any dialect, I usually use the words in conjunction with the phrase 'running about... ...like headless chickens' :)
    I have no advanced linguistic theory to prove to anybody. All I know is what I hear them saying.
    My interest is purely personal and not academic, I like words, I like language and dialects. I like the fact that Cornish is undergoing a resurgence, having practically died a long time ago, doesn't mean I will be writing a book on comparisons of Cornish, Welsh and Gaelic languages ad dialects any day soon :)

Anyway, apologies if I offended you and apologies for taking this off-topic...

As for overmorrow and ereyesterday, I find them to be excellent words and wish they were in more common usage, far less clunky than what we use in their place. Time to use them more often.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I'd never heard overmorrow used in English but discovered it via Dutch 'overmorgen' around the same time as 'eergisteren'

• Registered Users Posts: 22,223 ✭✭✭✭endacl

As a shooter, I'm constantly using 'grains' to describe the weight of bullets and propellant. Based on the actual weight of 7000 wheat grains to make a pound, ratified in the late medieval period here in UK.

tac
    Its realy interesting* how some 'aincent' trades and crafts have held on to these little lexical gems. Adds a little mystery to the otherwise ordinary...

*interesting in a nerdy kind of way! If you get it, you get it! ;)

I'd never heard overmorrow used in English but discovered it via Dutch 'overmorgen' around the same time as 'eergisteren'

In Germany the use of 'Uebermorgen' is still quite common.

tac

PS - no umlaut on this Japanese keyboard :(

Its realy interesting* how some 'aincent' trades and crafts have held on to these little lexical gems. Adds a little mystery to the otherwise ordinary...

*interesting in a nerdy kind of way! If you get it, you get it! ;)

In Canada we still use 'cord' for a measure of a large bundle of wood.

Also, in spite of being metric for many years, PYO soft fruit like strawberries is sold in pints, quarts, 1/2 and full gallons - like ice-cream.:D

Should also point out that in shooting our old black powder firearms, particulary the military type, powder charges are measured in drams - 1 dram = 27.34gr. The service charge for the Enfield P53 .577cal rifle is 2.5 drams - 68.5gr - of fine rifle powder.

tac

In Canada we still use 'cord' for a measure of a large bundle of wood.

Also, in spite of being metric for many years, PYO soft fruit like strawberries is sold in pints, quarts, 1/2 and full gallons - like ice-cream.:D

Should also point out that in shooting our old black powder firearms, particulary the military type, powder charges are measured in drams - 1 dram = 27.34gr. The service charge for the Enfield P53 .577cal rifle is 2.5 drams - 68.5gr - of fine rifle powder.

tac
    My favourite definition of 'dram', as it relates to the Scottish variety of a certain fiery beverage is 'a measure that pleases both guest, and host'. I've no idea who coined this one though.

• Advertisement

My favourite definition of 'dram', as it relates to the Scottish variety of a certain fiery beverage is 'a measure that pleases both guest, and host'. I've no idea who coined this one though.

Ah, right. I recall the first and last time I tried it. I had just gotten in from school at around -30C and my uncle gave me a shot of this stuff.

Tasted like bat's p!ss.

That was in 1963 and I've never tried it since.

tac

Ah, right. I recall the first and last time I tried it. I had just gotten in from school at around -30C and my uncle gave me a shot of this stuff.

Tasted like bat's p!ss.

That was in 1963 and I've never tried it since.

tac
    Tús maith, leath na hoibre. A good start is half the work.

Or not in this case! Try another now, while sitting in front of a roaring fire, and in good company. -30C is good, but only on the other side of the window!

Oh, and not as a shot. As a sipper.

Gach fear grafóga a chéile féin.

I don't drink alcoholic beverages of any kind.

I have no roaring fire, nor do I have any good company except my own.

Sláinte!

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

We definitely should still be using the correct terms for the subdivisions on the imperial side of a ruler. The world would be a jollier place entirely if people still referred to the barleycorn (third of an inch), and the poppyseed (quarter of a barleycorn).

On a side note, thanks OP. Never thought I'd have the opportunity to drop these ones into a conversation!

Here's another old measurement - the ell : it's about 45 inches (used to measure textiles). I came across it some 30-odd years ago when studying Romeo and Juliet for the Inter.

http://www.shakespeare-navigators.com/romeo/T24.html (look for " ell")

League (3 miles) has all but gone out of usage in the context of distance too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Since decimalisation and later the introduction of the euro, we have lost a lot of vocabulary connected with money, both formal and informal. No more guineas, sovereigns, crowns, half-crowns, florins, bobs, tanners. And tosser was not a term of personal abuse when I was a young fella.

The groat fell out of usage long before my time (which commenced earlier than the time of many posters here). Oddly, the Irish term for groat (tuistiún) survived at least into the 1960s in Connemara, long after the English word was obsolete.

Since decimalisation and later the introduction of the euro, we have lost a lot of vocabulary connected with money, both formal and informal. No more guineas, sovereigns, crowns, half-crowns, florins, bobs, tanners. And tosser was not a term of personal abuse when I was a young fella.

The groat fell out of usage long before my time (which commenced earlier than the time of many posters here). Oddly, the Irish term for groat (tuistiún) survived at least into the 1960s in Connemara, long after the English word was obsolete.
    And 'guinea' is still on life-support, and in the tender care of the horsey set.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭im invisible

efb wrote: »
    Zounds ftw!
    Love that, and 'zblood!
    efb wrote: »
    also egad(s)
    gadzooks!

would you pronounce overmorrow 'over-morrow' or o'ermorrow? (i presume it means the day after tomorrow?)
    my brother came out with tomorrow-orrow-orrow when he was 5 or 6 for the day after the day after tomorrow, i think we should start using that

fernenst/ fornenst, meaning situated against or facing towards
    . "where's the kitchen brush?" "it's fernenst the door"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

Yakuza wrote: »
    I quite like thrice (once, twice, thrice) and sennight (week).

Sennight could be a contraction of seven night to say a week.
    In Italian "week" is "settimana", where it's easy to see two different words, "sette" (seven) and "mana" an old form for "day" (mane), so when we say "settimana" we know it's a seven-day time even if we don't think of its origin.
    I hope I made myself clear :D

I'm sure that it is so (or at least the Middle English equivalents of these words). What's curious is that fortnight is still going strong (forteen nights, presumably of a similar origin to sennight) but sennight disappeared.

One currency unit that did survive for a while after decimilisation was the ha'penny but of course today, in Ireland, the word ha'penny belongs now to the bridge in Dublin so hopefully it won't fall completely out of use.

• Advertisement

It's also still used occasionally to describe something of questionable quality as "tuppeny-ha'penny". I love the sound of that.

fernenst/ fornenst, meaning situated against or facing towards
    . "where's the kitchen brush?" "it's fernenst the door"
    I consider that and its cousin forbye to be Ulster-Scots. I have not heard either word used by anybody under 40.

It's also still used occasionally to describe something of questionable quality as "tuppeny-ha'penny". I love the sound of that.
    That brings to mind a put-down I heard years ago: tuppence ha'penny looking down on tuppence.

I'm sure that it is so (or at least the Middle English equivalents of these words). What's curious is that fortnight is still going strong (forteen nights, presumably of a similar origin to sennight) but sennight disappeared.

'Fortnight' has always interested me - in Canada it is used, in the USA it is not understood at all. Similarly with time-telling - in Canada, one hears 'quarter-past' or 'quarter to', but in the part of the USA where we lay our heads [the Pacific North West], it's 'quarter after..' and 'eight minutes OF XXXX'.

tac

In Italian "week" is "settimana", where it's easy to see two different words, "sette" (seven) and "mana" an old form for "day" (mane), so when we say "settimana" we know it's a seven-day time even if we don't think of its origin.
    I hope I made myself clear :D

Sennight is from Middle English [senight, contraction of seveniht, from Old English seofon nihta, seven nights : seofon, seven.

tac, itself another contraction

A slight aside, my father uses "Mickey Mouse" a lot to describe something of questionable quality. Is it only a Dublin thing?

Farthing is all but gone, save for "penny farthing", which itself is really only a historical footnote in the realm of cycling.

Here's another old measurement - the ell : it's about 45 inches (used to measure textiles). I came across it some 30-odd years ago when studying Romeo and Juliet for the Inter.

http://www.shakespeare-navigators.com/romeo/T24.html (look for " ell")

League (3 miles) has all but gone out of usage in the context of distance too.

Here's another one that is still with us - fathom.

A fathom (abbreviation: ftm) = 6 ffet/1.8288 metres, is a unit of length in the imperial and the US customary systems, used especially for measuring the depth of water.

There are two yards (6 feet) in an imperial or U.S. fathom. Originally based on the distance between a man's outstretched arms, the size of a fathom has varied slightly depending on whether it was defined as a thousandth of an (Admiralty nautical mile - 5280 feet) or as a multiple of the imperial yard. Formerly, the term was used for any of several units of length varying around 5–5+1⁄2 feet (1.5–1.7 m).

The name derives from the Old English word fæðm, corresponding to the Old Frisian word "fadem" meaning embracing arms or a pair of outstretched arms. In Middle English it was fathme. A cable length, based on the length of a ship's cable, has been variously reckoned as equal to 100 or 120 fathoms. At one time, a quarter meant one-fourth of a fathom.
    Abbreviations: f, fath, fm, fth, fthm.

tac

A slight aside, my father uses "Mickey Mouse" a lot to describe something of questionable quality. Is it only a Dublin thing?

No, that's used everywhere. It was even in Full Metal Jacket :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

A measure that increases as the evening progresses, until the host realises the bottle is near empty.

My word for this thread is "yonks", as in an undetermined yet lengthy period of time. I haven't heard anybody say it in yonks.

• Advertisement

ectoraige wrote: »
    My word for this thread is "yonks", as in an undetermined yet lengthy period of time. I haven't heard anybody say it in yonks.
    I still use it. It's a "safe" archaicism in the sense that its meaning is fairly obvious even to somebody not already familiar with the word.

Advertisement