Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rough Stuff paddles

Options
  • 16-07-2012 3:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭

So it's nearly time for a new set of blades. I've been getting some opinions on RS and most people are saying that they are now not worth the money. Apparently the guys that make them changed the materials and the glue and now the blades fall apart at the ends, the glue weakens and the blade twists or the shaft has broken. Has anyone any experience of this happening? I've been advised to look at Werner or AT blades.

Opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Haven't liked RS for a long long time now. Werner are definitely the way to go and if you know somebody in the US that could send you some as a "gift" they're even cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭irishlostboy

there are a ton of good manufacturers. be wary of people who only advise one paddle type. mark of a fanboi. roughstuff are fairly strong. but lack out on performance. werner are quite good, but vastly overpriced in ireland. ophion are very good, and have some very dynamic designs going on. tywarp have ironed out most of their bugs, but tend to be a bit too expensive. select are solid paddles, but blades are a little too small for my liking. (most people love them) mitchell blades are a very good option, with a lot of customisation options. AT are very solid, but again tend to be too expensive this side of the water.
    ALL the above paddles have their pros/cons. they ALL break on occasion. there is no real outstanding leader in terms of raw stats. it comes down to personal choice. currently werner is the favourite with brand name fanbois. best bet is try them all out, and decide for yourself.

there are a ton of good manufacturers. be wary of people who only advise one paddle type. mark of a fanboi. .
    Just to point out, I paddle a H20.

Out of all the paddles I've used I've never found anything more comfortable than the Werner crank.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭ec18

I've had a set of AT's and they were pretty amazing the grip is incredibly comfortable. I've switched to mitchells and they're a nice set of blades, probably a bit more power than the AT's I had but the crank isn't as comfortable.......I'd recommend AT's definitely but then again paddles are all completely personal choice at the higher end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

Owned a set of glass RS Tempests. Would not buy again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

wet-paint wrote: »

Care to explain why?

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭KenHy

RS are OK - not as good as some other paddles (heavier, not as good of paddle design and any ones I paddle with flex far too much for my liking)- but the twintex ones are good at their pricepoint. If your looking at carbon I'd probably go to another brand.

Personally I've been using Select W1s for 5 years now and they are still perfect. I've had to replace (through breakage or wearing out) every other piece of kit I've had at least once in that time but the paddles are still going strong. I'd defiantly recommend them. (GOD used to sell them but I'm informed they don't anymore - but you can still order them online from the manufacturer http://select-kayaks.com/en/paddles/)

Most people will recommend Werner or AT - both excellent paddles, not sure if I'd pay the premium that is charged for them however.

I've also borrowed a set of Vertical Element paddles when I was without my own for a short while before and found them lovely to paddle with. They are custom made by the guy who makes them to whatever you order. I can't vouch for durability as I only paddled with them for a few days on high volume water (no contact with rocks!) - but a lot of UK boaters rave about them and they are great to paddle with!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭nookie

This post has been deleted.

nookie wrote: »
    VE paddles have been plagued by serious quality control issues

Thats disapointing - they are lovely paddles.
    the two that stood out for me have been the H20's .... Little heavy, .. and maybe a little down on power

Not a fan of H20s for those exact reasons - they flex far too much for my liking. it feels like you have to do twice the amount for work to get the same amount of power of a stroke as compared to my Selects.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

yomchi wrote: »
    Care to explain why?

As mentioned already, too much flex in the shaft, which eventually cracked, and poor quality control - not enough glue used in securing the blade to the shaft, and they separated one day on a canal, and nearly lost the bloody thing, as it's pure black.

H2Os for me nowadays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Possedion

Have W1 Select Concept paddle - nice thin blade, very light. Pity there is no dealers this side of water anymore. GreatOutdoors stopped stocking them.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 vintage01

Werner power house straight glass. ( the ones with the red blades) best value paddle on the market.IMO About €225 - 10% if you ask nicely. I have carbon powerhouse which are great. What ever you decide to go with you can be unlucky and get a faulty paddle but most companies are good to deal with. I cant see myself ever going away from Werner though. RS are out of date and over priced and Ive seen way to many break.

thanks guys for all the input, I'm leaning towards the Werner Power House, now to try a few out!

Nice one :)

thanks guys for all the input, I'm leaning towards the Werner Power House, now to try a few out!

Nice one :)

Take a look at H20's aswell.. Bot a bad blade.

Antares wrote: »

What do you think of these?

http://www.i-canoe.com/Paddles/H2O+Paddles/H2O-2+Whitewater+Texalium+Crank+Paddle+2011.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

wet-paint wrote: »

I've had mine over five years now and still going strong despite much hammering. The blades are small and not much power in them though. They were perfect for me at the time, they were cheap and I was a beginner and a weak paddler.
    The second generation H20's did have some problems as while back with the glue used to hold them together degrading but that issue has now supposedly been addressed. Little heavy, exceptionally tough blades and maybe a little down on power but you can't beat the grips on the cranks!

Great to hear h20 sorted themselves out. One of our kids was coming into an eddy and the blade just... dropped off, out of nowhere. Ridiculous.

I'm torn now, It's hard to find a Werner Power House with a crank shaft (I've a jammed up left wrist from boxing and the crank shaft offers less pain!) without paying through the beak for one.

The H20 shaft is meant to be very comfortable while being reasonably priced, compared.

maybe it'll be H20 after all!

Antares wrote: »

What do you think of these?

http://www.i-canoe.com/Paddles/H2O+Paddles/H2O-2+Whitewater+Texalium+Crank+Paddle+2011.html

I rate them but shop around. Even look at Jacksons in Belfast first. These blades are very common tbh.... Somebody somewhere should have a set out for you to try out on a river. I love mine though. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭nookie

This post has been deleted.

Ended up buying a set of w1's - sounds like a great paddle. Now to wait :)

• Advertisement

did you buy them direct from Select? Just wondering what they charge for shipping. Cheers.

Possedion wrote: »
    did you buy them direct from Select? Just wondering what they charge for shipping. Cheers.

Yeh direct from their site which was very informative. cost less than €50 for shipping, 47 I think.

thats not bad! did you custom the feather? Great to know.

Possedion wrote: »
    thats not bad! did you custom the feather? Great to know.

Yeh got them to stick a 30 on it. They'll basically do you anything you like, including the option to have an adjustable length shaft. Really good service. Just need to see what the delivery time is now.

Good Choice! They are excelent paddles.

They arrived today, very impressed with them. Cant wait to get them on the water now.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 DG22

roughstuff rubbish poor quality and after sales disaster which is a pity they used to be bomber

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

DG22 wrote: »
    roughstuff rubbish poor quality and after sales disaster which is a pity they used to be bomber

I know Mark years and he was never good at after sales. Even when the paddles and boats where "bomber"...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

Does anyone know if Rough Stuff make a good freestyle paddle?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 DG22

hahaha listen drop into colm in icanoe and pick up a werner or something because roughstuff dont make good paddles full stop .plus the sales before and after is crap .....

Advertisement