Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fine Tuned For Life? Surely not! Off Topic? Definitely!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

nagirrac wrote: »
    The theory of evolution is consistently used as an example to argue for lack of belief in a creative intelligence. While it is a beautiful theory and can be used to blow holes through illogical "young earth creationist" positions, it says absolutely nothing about why there is a universe to begin with.
    Evolution involves biology and things that are alive and flop about here on Earth's surface. The Big Bang involves astrophysics and things that are dead and aren't on Earth's surface

I think most posters here in A+A are able to distinguish between the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭swampgas

I accept that, but do you not admit or at least consider that atheists are the most guilty of this?
    No, I don't accept that - I don't think atheists are more likely than others to accept arguments from authority.
    The theory of evolution is consistently used as an example to argue for lack of belief in a creative intelligence. While it is a beautiful theory and can be used to blow holes through illogical "young earth creationist" positions, it says absolutely nothing about why there is a universe to begin with.

Personally, I don't think evolution has any bearing whatsoever on the origin of the Universe.

I agree that it is usually biblical literalists who make an issue of evolution, as they feel that evolution is incompatible with creationism, so they deny it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

The end of consciousness is an eternity of bliss, non existence is the only true freedom. Imagine eternal self awareness for a second. Sounds horrific to me.

I much prefer knowing I have a set number of years as a self aware being to experience what the world has to offer and then get switched off.

But you essentially switch off every night when you go to sleep. At least that's what it feels like to me. I'm sure if there were an after life you could go to "sleep" whenever you please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭nagirrac

swampgas wrote: »
    Sorry, realised there was another point I wished to query:

If everyone is "making no dogmatic claim on what conclusion we should draw from the evidence of fine tuning", then what claims are they making that you think worthy of merit?

They are simply reporting their science. What "I" think is sort of irrelevant, but the observation that so many fundamental constants of cosmology "appear" fine tuned to allow life (as we know it at least) to exist is rather interesting.

"The remarkable fact is that the values of these numbers appear to be very finely adjusted to make possible the development of life"
    Stephen Hawking (an atheist)

Obviously some scientists choose to also argue a philosophical opinion but they are in a small minority.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Then imagine that unpleasant feeling of barely conscious paralysis where you know you're awake, but the rest of your body doesn't, just before you awake with a spasm. For eternity. Sound like fun?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭oldrnwisr

If ever there was evidence needed regarding the the closed minded worldview of atheists, this thread is it.

The argument for fine tuning is firmly rooted in science, not in philosophy. Yes, there are scientists who argue that fine tuning is evidence for a creator (Bernard Haisch, The God Theory) and scientists who argue against fine tuning to defend their dogmatic atheist position (Victor Stenger, The Fallacy of Fine Tuning), but to jump on either side of that debate is missing the point.

The list of eminent scientists who accept the fine tuning argument is exhaustive: Rees (Just 6 numbers, the book on the subject), Deutsch, Davies, Carter, Smolin, Susskind, Hawking, Guth, Greene, Penrose, Barrow, Hamilton, Sandage, Tegmark, etc. etc. Roughly half these scientists are theists / deists and the other half agnostic athiests. What they all have in common is making no dogmatic claim on what conclusion we should draw from the evidence of fine tuning. The only scientist I am aware of who openly disputes the fine tuning argument is Stenger.

If you don't mind, I'll stay with the open minded fecking stupid crowd.. and of course be accused yet again of using arguments from authority by the same people who predictably wheel out Dawkins at every opportunity.

If you want to maintain an open mind on the subject of fine tuning then start by reading "Just 6 Numbers" by Martin Rees (an atheist) and work from there.

As Tim Minchin once said: "If you open your mind too much your brain will fall out."

As I said in my previous post there are lots and lots of flaws in the fine-tuning argument and making appeals to authority (and no I don't invoke Dawkins at every opportunity) doesn't change this.

1. Time

So far we are 13.75+/-0.11 billion years into our current universe. Our current best guess for the timeframe for the end of this universe (heat death) is approximately 10^100 years. So when we consider the length of time during this period in which life is possible we can see that the universe can only sustain life for one thousand billion billion billion billion billion billion billion billion billionth of the total lifespan of the universe. That's hardly fine-tuned now is it?

2. Fundamental forces

To get back to my previous post, fine-tuning proponents always talk about adjusting parameters by "a few percent" and life being impossible. So what if we start scrapping parameters entirely.

Here for example is what happens if we scrap the weak nuclear force:

A universe without weak interactions

and here's what happens if we discount gravity:

Molecular dynamics simulation of melittin in a dimyristoylphosphatidylcholine bilayer membrane

So there's half the fundamental forces of nature scrapped without any effect on the possibility of life developing.

3. Adaptation

This is probably the biggest facet of the fine-tuning argument which you have failed to understand. Life adapted to the conditions of the universe not the other way around. As other posters have pointed out you've got the cart before the horse. The problem with the phrasing of the fine-tuning argument is the "as we know it" part. Just because life as we currently understand it may not have developed had the initial conditions of the universe, there's no reason to suggest that the train runs off the track. Life may just evolve in a different manner. Let me give you an example.

At the moment, our eyes are capable of perceiving light in a narrow band of the EM spectrum, roughly 380-740nm wavelengths. So using the premise of the fine-tuning argument you could argue that the sun was fine-tuned to support our vision but that is to entirely miss the point. The reason we see light in the "visible" portion of the spectrum is because the sun emits its radiation most prominently in this band as you can see below:

Solar_Spectrum.png

Now, how this happened is something like this:

1. A light sensitive patch of skin develops conferring an evolutionary advantage on the creature by allowing it to distinguish light from dark.
    2. Through the process of selection, the light sensitive patch becomes a shallow depression in the skin, allowing for some basic directionality, allowing the creature to sense movement and possibly evade predators.
    3. Next, the increased advantage gained by directionality is exploited and the depression becomes deeper and deeper until it becomes like a pinhole camera allowing for maximum information to be gained.
    4. Next, the mucus produced by the cells accumulates due to the narrowed opening.
    5. Then, the mucus hardens and forms a primitive lens which acts to concentrate the incoming light.
    6. After this, the cells forming the interior surface of the eye become free to move relative to the surrounding tissue, allowing for an even greater field of vision.
    7. Finally, the increasing use of movement of the eye leads to the development of muscle tissue around both the eye exterior and lens, putting both under control of the creature. We now have an eye similar to our own.
    OK, back to the point. Now humans as we are now are sensitive to X-rays. In a high enough dose they can kill us. However, if life had arisen around an object like, say, Scorpius X-1, there's no reason to suggest that life wouldn't have adapted to the radiation it emits so that there might be "people" living on a planet in its orbit who can see x-rays.

4. Volume

Like time in the first example, the sheer scale of the universe poses a problem for fine-tuning. At the moment life on this planet exists on no more than say 4% of the shell of this planet. And our planet is one of 9 in our solar system. Assuming that our planetary configuration is unremarkable then there are about 4 trillion planets in our galaxy alone and 125 billion galaxies. Life seems to be awfully rare in a universe which was fine-tuned for it. Why is biogenesis so rare if the universe is fine-tuned?

5. Incompleteness

One of the key and often overlooked problems of the fine-tuning argument is how amazingly shallow it is as an analytical argument. The problem is that scientists and philosophers have examined different cosmological parameters and found that if some of them are altered then life could not have developed. Indeed Paul Davies who you reference in your post highlights this when he said: "There is now broad agreement among physicists and cosmologists that the Universe is in several respects ‘fine-tuned' for life". The first stumbling block is that we don't even know how many independent physical constants there are. So as much as we might say, oh here are ten fine-tuned constants there may be a hundred more which aren't. The second obstacle is that we already know of cosmological parameters which can be altered which do not impact the development of life. So the fine-tuning argument at its core is nothing but a fallacy of composition.

6. Testability

Another key problem for the fine-tuning argument is testability. The universe is just that little bit inflexible that it won't let us actually mess with the cosmological parameters to see what the effects would be. So as much as you go on about a closed minded atheist argument and unfalsifiability you should take a good long look at the tree branch you're sitting on because you're sawing right through it.

You see here's the thing. The astrophysicists and cosmologists who have bought into the fine-tuning argument are no doubt excellent physicists and leaders in their field but the one thing they really suck at is being biologists. Just look at Michio Kaku talking about evolution, its cringeworthy. The problem is that all of these physicists have gotten themselves hung up on the idea of life as we know it. So all of their simulations and calculations are predicated on an a priori position that life as it exists now is either a) desirable or b) inevitable. But that's not the case and that's why fine-tuning fails.

7. Probability

This is one that sbsquarepants touched on in one of his posts. This idea of using probability to determine the chances of an event that has actually occurred of occurring in the first place is ludicrous. The main reason is that you have to know the range of values available to select from. In the case of fine-tuning that presents a problem. Take one of Martin Rees' 6 numbers, for example, D (no. of spatial dimensions in spacetime). Physicists are still arguing over what this number should be so the idea that a change in this number would have an effect on life is laughable.

Anyway, I've got to cut it short there for the moment. If I get time I'll finish this list tonight but it might be tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Sycopat

I have provided dozens.

This:

The list of eminent scientists who accept the fine tuning argument is exhaustive: Rees (Just 6 numbers, the book on the subject), Deutsch, Davies, Carter, Smolin, Susskind, Hawking, Guth, Greene, Penrose, Barrow, Hamilton, Sandage, Tegmark, etc. etc.

Is not a list of sources. This is one source, and a list of names. You've also referred to two other books. (in the same post) to make three. Perhaps you referenced others elsewhere, but we're pretty far short of 24 at the moment. A name check is not a reference.

Also having read this quote from one of your named scientists, Paul Davies:

"the conclusion is not so much that the Universe is fine-tuned for life; rather it is fine-tuned for the building blocks and environments that life requires."

I'm not sure he would agree with you, as his understanding of what 'fine-tuned' is appears different to yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭swampgas

They are simply reporting their science. What "I" think is sort of irrelevant, but the observation that so many fundamental constants of cosmology "appear" fine tuned to allow life (as we know it at least) to exist is rather interesting.

"The remarkable fact is that the values of these numbers appear to be very finely adjusted to make possible the development of life"
    Stephen Hawking (an atheist)

I agree that the fundamental constants do appear very finely tuned to allow life, and intelligent life at that. However I think the important point you make is this:
    Obviously some scientists choose to also argue a philosophical opinion but they are in a small minority.

So, most scientists accept the fine tuning observation (how can they not, it's clearly evident) but they do not extrapolate from that towards a creator or towards metaphysical or paranormal entities. They simply accept it as an interesting observation, as do I.

*Edit* missed oldrnwisr's post - what he said.

Neil Tyson:

Can you name an astrophysicist, voted the "Sexiest Astrophysicist Alive" by People Magazine, who thinks the universe was fine-tuned? :p

Neil Tyson is very entertaining. However, he does not address the concept of "fine tuning" in this presentation, nor has he ever to my knowledge. What he is ranting about is more along the lines of "if God created the universe, why would he make it so dangerous and make such bad things happen". This is an entirely separate philosophical question to the scientific question of fine tuning.

Fine tuning refers to the fact that so many of the mathematical constants that define how the material universe emerged at the big bang appear to be set at just the right values to allow a universe where life can later emerge. Nothing more, nothing less. All of the research into string theory and multiverses is attempting to answer this fundamental question.

Sycopat wrote: »
    Also having read this quote from one of your named scientists, Paul Davies:

"the conclusion is not so much that the Universe is fine-tuned for life; rather it is fine-tuned for the building blocks and environments that life requires."

I'm not sure he would agree with you, as his understanding of what 'fine-tuned' is appears different to yours.

Paul Davies has consistently rejected atheism, so I think he would agree with me on worldview.

On reflection, I would agree with Davies' more elegant words "fine tuned for the building blocks and environments that life requires" as opposed to "fine tuned for life". As oldernwiser correctly pointed out we should be careful about defining life solely in terms of life as we know it (although in terms of life in the universe that is all we know).

• Advertisement

robindch wrote: »
    Evolution involves biology and things that are alive and flop about here on Earth's surface. The Big Bang involves astrophysics and things that are dead and aren't on Earth's surface

I think most posters here in A+A are able to distinguish between the two.

I think they are too but you are possibly missing my point.

My point is that science itself does not have an atheist or religious worldview. Individual scientists may have, for example some of the most prominent scientists in Biology and in Astrophysics are theists or deists. Should we just dismiss their science because of personal belief? One can easily get the impression on this forum that the only scientists worth considering are those that are also atheists.

When scientists express a belief in Gods or the absense of Gods, they are expressing a personal belief and not that of science. Science does not even address the question of whether there is a God or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

Right, on one hand we've got the anthropic principle; if the universe had developed so that it couldn't support life, then there'd be no-one to observe it. Therefore, any universe we can observe MUST, automatically, be hospitable - at least locally hospitable.

On the other hand, if the universe was different, with different laws of physics, then different forms of life could have evolved. So they could be sitting around talking on their internet saying "just look how much life-sustaining gamma radiation suffuses this universe! It must be designed to support our life!" As said by Douglas Adams: 'Imagine a puddle waking up one morning and thinking, "This is an interesting world I find myself in — an interesting hole I find myself in — fits me rather neatly, doesn't it? In fact it fits me staggeringly well, must have been made to have me in it!"'

Either way, this fine-tuning stuff just doesn't fly with me, never has.

oldrnwisr wrote: »
    As Tim Minchin once said: "If you open your mind too much your brain will fall out."

Anyway, I've got to cut it short there for the moment. If I get time I'll finish this list tonight but it might be tomorrow.

Thanks for the detailed and well argued response oldrnwiser. I have to run but will get back to this later.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Encyclopaedic Post of Knowledge

da0dcd67_rainbow-vomit.jpeg

Neil Tyson is very entertaining. However, he does not address the concept of "fine tuning" in this presentation, nor has he ever to my knowledge. What he is ranting about is more along the lines of "if God created the universe, why would he make it so dangerous and make such bad things happen". This is an entirely separate philosophical question to the scientific question of fine tuning.

Fine tuning refers to the fact that so many of the mathematical constants that define how the material universe emerged at the big bang appear to be set at just the right values to allow a universe where life can later emerge. Nothing more, nothing less. All of the research into string theory and multiverses is attempting to answer this fundamental question.

Is there anything he says in the video that can't be used as an argument against fine tuning? It's a bit creator centric, sure, but then again so is the fine tuned universe argument. You can't say that something is fine tuned without implying someone doing the tuning. And saying its only about how it appears to be fine tuned makes the argument facetious. You wouldn't say that a crevice in the ground in which a puddle lies, appears to be fine tuned for that puddle because the puddle fits in it.

In your post you say that the argument for fine tuning refers to the fact that the universe appears to be set up for life to emerge. Of course what you mean is life like ours. And life like ours is only special enough to be the point of the entire universe in religion. Do you know of any reason why there couldn't be a universe that is so different to ours that none of our fundamental constants apply and yet still has life, of a sort, of its own?

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Barr125

Zombrex wrote: »
    Because people are fecking stupid :pac:

99.9999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999
    9999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999
    9999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999
    9999% of the universe kills all known life instantly.

But some how the universe is "finely tuned" for life. :rolleyes:

dettol.jpg

FACT!

Is there anything he says in the video that can't be used as an argument against fine tuning? It's a bit creator centric, sure, but then again so is the fine tuned universe argument. You can't say that something is fine tuned without implying someone doing the tuning. And saying its only about how it appears to be fine tuned makes the argument facetious. You wouldn't say that a crevice in the ground in which a puddle lies, appears to be fine tuned for that puddle because the puddle fits in it.

In your post you say that the argument for fine tuning refers to the fact that the universe appears to be set up for life to emerge. Of course what you mean is life like ours. And life like ours is only special enough to be the point of the entire universe in religion. Do you know of any reason why there couldn't be a universe that is so different to ours that none of our fundamental constants apply and yet still has life, of a sort, of its own?

Good points, but why bring religion into it at all? Among astrophysicists the evidence for fine tuning at the beginning of the big bang is firmly established in much the same way as the theory of evolution is established among biologists. There will always be some dissenting opinion, but that is common in all scientific fields. You absolutely do not have to believe this is due to someone doing the tuning, the various multiverse hypotheses suggest ours happens to be the universe with these specific constants, but there may be an infinite number of other universes with different constants.

Even if you do not accept the multiverse approach there are many possible explanations for fine tuning. Our universe may have been created by an alien (to us) civilization from another universe for example. I suppose relative to our technological advancement we would call that civilization "God". We simply don't know how our universe came into being or why it is the way it is, so in my humble opinion any speculcation at this point is as good as any other.

As I said in my previous post there are lots and lots of flaws in the fine-tuning argument and making appeals to authority (and no I don't invoke Dawkins at every opportunity) doesn't change this.

1. Time

So far we are 13.75+/-0.11 billion years into our current universe. Our current best guess for the timeframe for the end of this universe (heat death) is approximately 10^100 years. So when we consider the length of time during this period in which life is possible we can see that the universe can only sustain life for one thousand billion billion billion billion billion billion billion billion billionth of the total lifespan of the universe. That's hardly fine-tuned now is it?

I will have to (with great respect), selectively repond to sections of your post as you raise many interesting and welcome points. For context, when I raised the issue of "fine tuning" I am referring to the initial mathematical constants at the time of the big bang and not the specifics of how the universe evolved since, a point which I don't think you missed but some on the thread appear to have missed.

On the general point you raised in terms of astrophysicists being poor biologists, well that argument works both ways, biologists are also very poor physicists and indeed largely ignore the fundamental questions raised by general relativity and quantum physics (and who can blame them, their science can easily proceed in the context of classical mechanics).

The first issue you raise (time) is an interesting one. When we speak about the universe, the concept of time as you know is very different depending on one's perspective so to speak. From our human experience time has a specific meaning and is measured in terms of rotations of the earth, orbits around the sun, etc. At the opposite end of the spectrum, in the context of light or any electromagnetic wave travelling through space, time as we understand it has no meaning. A photon leaving point A to point B has no space to encounter and no time elapses along the journey. The evidence of the early universe suggests what first existed and indeed still exists at a fundamental level is a low energy electromagnetic field or fields (the quantum vacuum, which is not "nothing" regardless of how Krauss titles his book), and everything we know of as a material universe emerged from that. So, for context, the most fundamental aspect of our universe has no concept of time as we percieve it.

The second point I would like to make is to challenge your definition of life as in what life can be sustained and for what period. Clearly life as we understand it today cannot be sustained indefinitely but why limit ourselves to life as we understand it today? Life emerged on our planet 3.5B years ago and has evolved dramatically over an incredibly short timespan (time by our perspective), over the past 20,000 -30,000 years from a hunter gatherer society to one that has explored its solar system. Why would evolution stop at this point given that in terms of technology it is accelerating? Regardless of the apparent randomness of prior evolution, humans increasingly have control over future evolution. I see no reason why within 100 years we will not have AI machines that duplicate the intelligence and bodies of human beings and within 1000 years virtual versions that far surpass our capabilities. If personality and consciousness is purely material then it can be duplicated and programmed in a far more reliable and reproducibile fashion than we ourselves exhibit. Why would a lifeform that can duplicate itself and build a body for itself to deal with an increasingly hostile environment be any less than us? We have little idea today of the technologies involved just as nobody in the past imagined a cell phone.

I happen to believe our universe was programmed and did not emerge randomly. I also believe humans have infinite evolutionary potential and in time will populate and control our galaxy, if not the whole universe. If that comes to pass our universe will certainly appear very fine tuned.

7. Probability

Take one of Martin Rees' 6 numbers, for example, D (no. of spatial dimensions in spacetime). Physicists are still arguing over what this number should be so the idea that a change in this number would have an effect on life is laughable.

I have to say I just fundamentally disagree with this point. There are currently only three spatial dimensions in our known universe, so in terms of honest scientific discourse we have to work within the confines of what we can actually experimentally measure and describe. Regardless of how much effort and resources have been expended on string theory there is exactly zero evidence so far for any additional spatial dimensions and in my humble opinion such evidence will never be found.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

I have to say I just fundamentally disagree with this point. There are currently only three spatial dimensions in our known universe, so in terms of honest scientific discourse we have to work within the confines of what we can actually experimentally measure and describe. Regardless of how much effort and resources have been expended on string theory there is exactly zero evidence so far for any additional spatial dimensions and in my humble opinion such evidence will never be found.

Honest scientific debate would require admitting that we do not understand the initial parameters of the universe, so we are unable to make any claim as to whether they are fine tuned or not to produce a particular universe over any other possible universe (if there are other possible universes).

But then when have you ever been interested in honest scientific debate?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

You're confusing cause and effect. The universe isn't finely tuned to allow life like us to emerge - how arrogant is that! We emerged because of environment, if it was different so would we be - if we were here at all.
    In your post you say that the argument for fine tuning refers to the fact that the universe appears to be set up for life to emerge. Of course what you mean is life like ours. And life like ours is only special enough to be the point of the entire universe in religion.

If you look at it logically, we are basically lego - constructed out of the building blocks around us (hydrogen, oxygen, carbon and so on). In fact we are almost in the exact proportions that they appear in the cosmos. There is absolutely nothing strange or unique about us. Even the "huge range of diversity" we see on earth is far from it. Geneticaly we are 99% identical to chimpanzees, we are 70% identical to bananas! A lego house is 99% identical to a lego truck, it's just about how the blocks are arranged.
    Life is just what happens if you have all this stuff floating about, crashing and mingling for a long enough period of time, in the correct temperature, sheilded from radiation and so on.
    Look at the god damn size of the place, the sheer number of stars and correspondingly planets - it's bound to happen somewhere - i'd say it's happened in probably millions of places.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

"Look at this hole," said the puddle. "it's exactly the same size and shape as me. It must have been made just for me."

Good points, but why bring religion into it at all? Among astrophysicists the evidence for fine tuning at the beginning of the big bang is firmly established in much the same way as the theory of evolution is established among biologists. There will always be some dissenting opinion, but that is common in all scientific fields. You absolutely do not have to believe this is due to someone doing the tuning, the various multiverse hypotheses suggest ours happens to be the universe with these specific constants, but there may be an infinite number of other universes with different constants.

Even if you do not accept the multiverse approach there are many possible explanations for fine tuning. Our universe may have been created by an alien (to us) civilization from another universe for example. I suppose relative to our technological advancement we would call that civilization "God". We simply don't know how our universe came into being or why it is the way it is, so in my humble opinion any speculcation at this point is as good as any other.

I don't bring religion into it, fine tuning is inherently a religious argument. It has to be implying a tuner, otherwise it is a facetious, subjective (and therefore non scientific) argument about the appearance of the universe. You can't say the tuner is simply an alien of some sort, as the question will then move to how was the aliens universe or existence fine tuned for them. If their universe wasn't fine tuned then why does ours need to be?

You keep mentioning the multiverse as if that is an argument for fine tuning, even though it explicitly is not. The idea that there is an infinite number of universes actually makes it certain that life will eventually come about. Put 1000 monkeys on 1000 typewriters for all time and you will eventually get hamlet, no fine tuning required.

I don't understand how string theory specifically relates to fine tuning?

Any chance you can reference any peer review (not a book) that supports the assertion that fine tuning is firmly established amongst astrophysicists? (Ie any peer review from said scientists)

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭HHobo

If ever there was evidence needed regarding the the closed minded worldview of atheists, this thread is it.

The argument for fine tuning is firmly rooted in science, not in philosophy. Yes, there are scientists who argue that fine tuning is evidence for a creator (Bernard Haisch, The God Theory) and scientists who argue against fine tuning to defend their dogmatic atheist position (Victor Stenger, The Fallacy of Fine Tuning), but to jump on either side of that debate is missing the point.

The list of eminent scientists who accept the fine tuning argument is exhaustive: Rees (Just 6 numbers, the book on the subject), Deutsch, Davies, Carter, Smolin, Susskind, Hawking, Guth, Greene, Penrose, Barrow, Hamilton, Sandage, Tegmark, etc. etc. Roughly half these scientists are theists / deists and the other half agnostic athiests. What they all have in common is making no dogmatic claim on what conclusion we should draw from the evidence of fine tuning. The only scientist I am aware of who openly disputes the fine tuning argument is Stenger.

If you don't mind, I'll stay with the open minded fecking stupid crowd.. and of course be accused yet again of using arguments from authority by the same people who predictably wheel out Dawkins at every opportunity.

If you want to maintain an open mind on the subject of fine tuning then start by reading "Just 6 Numbers" by Martin Rees (an atheist) and work from there.

You seem to be operating under the mistaken impression that
    scientist accepts idea = idea is scientific

This is not the case. The fine-tuning argument is embarrassingly poor and utterly human-centric. I have already explained why I think so.
    I have yet to hear a sensible, let alone convincing arguement for the idea. It is possible for human life to develop in the universe in which human life developed....you don't say!! It might not be possible for human life to develop in a universe human life has not developed in.... no way, you gotta be kidding me!?

I'm not disputing that even the slightest change to the universal constants might well render all life impossible. I just think this fact is zero evidence for a designer. The powerful, stunning arrogance to think that if something is suitable for you, even perfectly suitable, that you must have been the intention.
    There are many species on earth whose adaptation to their enviornment is highly specified. If you were to alter the eco-system even a little they would not have evolved as they are and could not survive. Does this seem to you then, even slightly, that their enviornment was designed with this species in mind?

I don't care if you are Stephen Hawking, Albert Einstein or Issac Newton. If you find this argument convincing, I think you are not reasoning very well on it.

You suggest my view on this is close-minded. You owe me a new irony meter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭McG

What we know from science is that the universe is very finely tuned, otherwise we could not exist.

That's crazy talk; the life we observe is tuned via evolution for the universe, not the other way around. Who's to say that if the universe was different that different life that we can't currently imagine would have emerged.
    What a ridiculous argument!

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭HHobo

McG wrote: »
    That's crazy talk; the life we observe is tuned via evolution for the universe, not the other way around. Who's to say that if the universe was different that different life that we can't currently imagine would have emerged.
    What a ridiculous argument!

The argument deals with more funadamental properties of our universe. Like gravity and the forces that hold atoms together and so on. Changes to some of these constants can make even matter as we know it impossible. Essentially, there might not even be stuff that could evolve into anything.

That said, it is still a bad argument. :)

You keep mentioning the multiverse as if that is an argument for fine tuning, even though it explicitly is not. The idea that there is an infinite number of universes actually makes it certain that life will eventually come about. Put 1000 monkeys on 1000 typewriters for all time and you will eventually get hamlet, no fine tuning required.

I don't understand how string theory specifically relates to fine tuning?

If fine tuning is a religious argument why would professed atheist scientists not just propose it and accept it but even go to the lengths of writing books about it? Martin Rees is an atheist and yet has written the most comprehensive book on the subject.

If you actually read my posts you would see I have never made such an argument. The multiverse hypothesis provide an alternative to fine tuning, in exactly the way you describe, eventually you get the right set of parameters for a universe like ours.

String theory is not related to fine tuning, it is related to multiverses. String theory fails in a universe with 3 spatial dimensions, thus the need to expand the number of spatial dimensions which allow parallel universes. Unlike fine tuning there is no experimental evidence for multiple spatial dimensions beyond our known 3 and no evidence for parallel universes.

I am not accusing you of it but the majority of responses on this topic do not seem to grasp what fine tuning is. It has nothing to do with evolution, abiogenesis, the specific kind of life form in the universe, etc. It is solely related to the experimentally observed values of physical constants at the beginning of our universe. It is not an argument against life as we know it evolving based on the environment, in fact it supports it.

Any chance you can reference any peer review (not a book) that supports the assertion that fine tuning is firmly established amongst astrophysicists? (Ie any peer review from said scientists)

This article by Luke Barnes is about the best article I have read that comprehensively covers the topic.

http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/arxiv/pdf/1112/1112.4647v1.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

If fine tuning is a religious argument why would professed atheist scientists not just propose it and accept it but even go to the lengths of writing books about it? Martin Rees is an atheist and yet has written the most comprehensive book on the subject.

They don't, not the way you are presenting it. You are fundamentally misrepresenting these scientists.

The scientists you mention don't think the universe was actually fine tuned for a purpose. "Fine tuned" is a lay-man's term for the way the different properties of the universe work to form the universe we are currently in, rather than some other universe.

It's like saying "All scientists think there was a loud bang at the start of the universe" because you came across the "Big Bang" theory. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭Morbert

nagirrac, you are completely misrepresenting the scientific position on "fine tuning".

The constants the standard model that require "tuning" are empirical values set so that the model produces accurate predictions. They are not ontological statements about some metaphysical set of dials that are literally tuned.

The fine tuning argument, when it is presented in an intellectually honest way, amounts to the following: "Why does this life-permitting universe exist, as opposed to some other conceivable, but unrealised universe?" which is a more specific version of the question "Why is there something rather than nothing?" The answer, of course, is that we don't know.

But this is where your side goes spectacularly wrong. You insist an explanation must be tendered for materialism to be a valid position, but have no answer to the equivalent question "Why is there a God, rather than nothing?"

See, at the most fundamental level, a self-contained explanation for the universe might simply not exist. The universe is not obliged to be something that can be fully understood, just as God would not be obliged to be something that can be fully understood.

Advertisement