Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Line Between Religious Belief And Mental Illness

Options
  • 07-01-2013 6:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭

By now you guys have probably seen this headline
    "Mother jailed for life for beating son to death for not learning Qur'an"

The Guardian describes how her excuse is that...

"She claimed she had been urged on by the devil and bad spirits. At one point she believed the stick she used to punish her son was possessed by an evil spirit."

Now that had me wondering.. if she actually believes that these spirits did it, surly that means that she's suffering some serious delution and should probably be hospitalized rather than imprisoned!

When religion is concerned in crime, where is the line between mental ill and just "brainwashed"?
    Edit: Guardian Artical: http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2013/jan/07/mother-jailed-life-son-quran

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Are atheists not capable of killing too?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭SebBerkovich

I of course am not implying that, i guess to simplify the question, if this women was not religious would she be committed or would this have happened at al?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

what

I of course am not implying that, i guess to simplify the question, if this women was not religious would she be committed or would this have happened at al?

Well the fact that most people are religious and don't go around killing / getting commited would suggest not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

Who can say? Religious or not, the lack of self control that leads someone to beat a child (at all, never mind to death) does not have to stem from either a mental health condition or an overly religious upbringing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

• - the point
    you - •

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Other groups not mention by the Op include:
    Post men
    Chickens
    Fashion designers
    Spiritualists
    Farmers.
    X Factor Finalists

See in as these were not mentioned by the OP i take it that he is implying that none of these are capable of killing either......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

For me the distinction has to be made between cause/effect and coincidence.

Was the persons religion a factor in causing her to have psychiatric problems?

Were psychiatric problems a factor in causing this person to be religious?

Did this person just happen to be both religious, and psychotic. Perhaps if she was an atheist, it would have manifested itself as a voice in her head of some sort, not necessarily that of "The Devil".

I imagine it's fairly well documented that psychiatric conditions can cause delusion and hullucination which can manifest as spiritual/supernatural experiences.

Personally, I'm more worried about the sane religious people than the insane ones. Delusion and sanity are not mutially exclusive.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Well the fact that most people are religious and don't go around killing / getting commited would suggest not.
    KC, if you could direct your eye skyward you might just see a small dot way, way up there, moving fast. That is the point. You appear to have missed it.

MrP

condra wrote: »
    For me the distinction has to be made between cause/effect and coincidence.

Was the persons religion a factor in causing her to have psychiatric problems?

Were psychiatric problems a factor in causing this person to be religious?

Did this person just happen to be both religious, and psychotic. Perhaps if she was an atheist, it would have manifested itself as a voice in her head of some sort, not necessarily that of "The Devil".

I imagine it's fairly well documented that psychiatric conditions can cause delusion and hullucination which can manifest as spiritual/supernatural experiences.

Personally, I'm more worried about the sane religious people than the insane ones. Delusion and sanity are not mutially exclusive.
    I think this is exactly the issue. Unless one actually claims to be Jesus then there is no mental illness assumed with any relioguous beleif, however idiotic.

What I am trying to say, I suppose, is that is a person is simply psychotic then they are likely to be found as such. If they are psychotic and religious then there seems to be less willingness to find them insane.

Even quite tamely religious people can often tell stories that, were it not for the religious element, might actually get them sectioned.

MrP

• Advertisement

MrPudding wrote: »
    ......a person is simply psychotic then they are likely to be found as such. If they are psychotic and religious then there seems to be less willingness to find them insane.
    MrP

Wow....do you really think that's the case? If a person is psychotic, then they'll be found as such, but they are more likely to be found as "overly religious" (for want of better term) if they happen to be psychotic AND religious??? Holy crap :eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭brandnewaward

this is mental illness , but dead funny..................https://www.facebook.com/BanWeed

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

There's definitely one or two posters from "over there" that I would consider having a mental illness... Not mentioning any names of course.

Obliq wrote: »
    Wow....do you really think that's the case? If a person is psychotic, then they'll be found as such, but they are more likely to be found as "overly religious" (for want of better term) if they happen to be psychotic AND religious??? Holy crap :eek::eek:

What do you think psychotic is? Not meaning to teach my grandmother to suck eggs, but psychotic is different from psychopathic, in case you think that is what I mean. I am using psychotic in the sense of someone suffering from delusions or having had a break form reality.

If you think about it, it would be very easy to say that someone deeply religious is suffering from some manner of delusion. Generally, if invisible entities are talking to you on a regular basis this would be an indication that something is wrong. However, if the entity talking to you is your god then, unless (usually) he is telling you to kill someone, you will probably be ok. We live in a developed and not particularly superstitious part of the world, yet most people don't blink when someone tells them god speaks to them.

If you go to the doctor and tell him, in passing, that you hear voices, not gods, you are likely to get locked up. In fact, there was an interesting experiment years ago (back in the "golden" days of psychology when they did not have to bother with ethics committees) where a number of students went to there doctors and complained of hearing voices. The idea was to get commited and once in the institution behave completely normally. It is a slight digression, but quite funny. Not one of the student was actually mentally ill, but they were all kept for longer than expected and were released as "schizophrenia in remission." Whilst they were in the institution they were told to take notes. Several of them had comments like "displays obsessive writing behaviour" in their notes.

Anyway, the point is, if you go to the doctor and happen to mention you have regular conversations with god you are not likely to end up in an institution.

Additionally, there are varying degrees of psychosis. Clearly the woman in the op was somewhere in the batsh1t region. People with a milder psychosis, or that don't act in socially unacceptable ways will probably be left alone.

I genuinely believe that some of the posters on the other forum are genuinely mentally ill. Not all of them, and in fact only a couple of them. But I genuinely believe they are mentally ill. I think it is unfortunate that their particular illness is related to religion as I believe it is preventing them from getting the help they need.

MrP

MrPudding wrote: »
    What do you think psychotic is? Not meaning to teach my grandmother to suck eggs, but psychotic is different from psychopathic, in case you think that is what I mean. I am using psychotic in the sense of someone suffering from delusions or having had a break form reality.

If you think about it, it would be very easy to say that someone deeply religious is suffering from some manner of delusion. Generally, if invisible entities are talking to you on a regular basis this would be an indication that something is wrong. However, if the entity talking to you is your god then, unless (usually) he is telling you to kill someone, you will probably be ok. We live in a developed and not particularly superstitious part of the world, yet most people don't blink when someone tells them god speaks to them.

If you go to the doctor and tell him, in passing, that you hear voices, not gods, you are likely to get locked up. In fact, there was an interesting experiment years ago (back in the "golden" days of psychology when they did not have to bother with ethics committees) where a number of students went to there doctors and complained of hearing voices. The idea was to get commited and once in the institution behave completely normally. It is a slight digression, but quite funny. Not one of the student was actually mentally ill, but they were all kept for longer than expected and were released as "schizophrenia in remission." Whilst they were in the institution they were told to take notes. Several of them had comments like "displays obsessive writing behaviour" in their notes.

Anyway, the point is, if you go to the doctor and happen to mention you have regular conversations with god you are not likely to end up in an institution.

Additionally, there are varying degrees of psychosis. Clearly the woman in the op was somewhere in the batsh1t region. People with a milder psychosis, or that don't act in socially unacceptable ways will probably be left alone.

I genuinely believe that some of the posters on the other forum are genuinely mentally ill. Not all of them, and in fact only a couple of them. But I genuinely believe they are mentally ill. I think it is unfortunate that their particular illness is related to religion as I believe it is preventing them from getting the help they need.

MrP

You're indeed not teaching your Granny! My disbelief about the difference in treatment is based on the experience of friends over the years. The part I have bolded in your comment is what I don't hold to be true at all (unless you have proof?). I don't think I've ever questioned/disagreed with you before Mr. P, but I am on this one.

I actually have 2 friends who have visited psych wards for hearing the voice of God in their heads (tellingly, it was not the same voice!).

The first took an acid trip in his teens and promptly got medicated to the hilt to dispel the multitude of angels and God telling him how to conduct his business. After a number of years of institutes and family prayers, he finally found his own balance of self-medication (I don't recommend this, although I reckon he's as good now as any other genuine schizophrenics that I've worked with who had no religious leanings) and continues to periodically freak people out/charm them with his musings. Very Catholic family, denial that he had social problems until no longer deniable.

The second took many trips on many substances, moved country and promptly got arrested/institutionalised/medicated for believing he actually WAS Jesus Christ. In this, he was harmless (ie. non-violent) but it was an entirely predictable manifestation of mental illness as 2 of his aunts were nuns, an uncle a priest, his father died (his only sensible rock in a church ridden family) and the family response to his illness was to do multiple novenas for him. He's alright now, poor pet.

What I'm trying to say here is that, yes - I agree that there are one or two on t'other forum that may have recognisable symptoms of mental health difficulties, but they (religious bias or not) do not show the kind of impulse control deficit that the woman described in the OP had. It's not the same kettle of fish, even if all these examples are essentially about religion in some way.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Surely anyone beating or starving a child to death has a mental illness.

Would they have found some other catalyst to do something awful? Quite possibly. Granted it doesn't help when you have fundies shouting stuff at you over the pulpit about faith and being tested, etc.

You're indeed not teaching your Granny! My disbelief about the difference in treatment is based on the experience of friends over the years. The part I have bolded in your comment is what I don't hold to be true at all (unless you have proof?). I don't think I've ever questioned/disagreed with you before Mr. P, but I am on this one.

I actually have 2 friends who have visited psych wards for hearing the voice of God in their heads (tellingly, it was not the same voice!).

The first took an acid trip in his teens and promptly got medicated to the hilt to dispel the multitude of angels and God telling him how to conduct his business. After a number of years of institutes and family prayers, he finally found his own balance of self-medication (I don't recommend this, although I reckon he's as good now as any other genuine schizophrenics that I've worked with who had no religious leanings) and continues to periodically freak people out/charm them with his musings. Very Catholic family, denial that he had social problems until no longer deniable.

The second took many trips on many substances, moved country and promptly got arrested/institutionalised/medicated for believing he actually WAS Jesus Christ. In this, he was harmless (ie. non-violent) but it was an entirely predictable manifestation of mental illness as 2 of his aunts were nuns, an uncle a priest, his father died (his only sensible rock in a church ridden family) and the family response to his illness was to do multiple novenas for him. He's alright now, poor pet.

What I'm trying to say here is that, yes - I agree that there are one or two on t'other forum that may have recognisable symptoms of mental health difficulties, but they (religious bias or not) do not show the kind of impulse control deficit that the woman described in the OP had. It's not the same kettle of fish, even if all these examples are essentially about religion in some way.
    Well, your first friend's experience is clearly not the same as someone finding god and having conversations with him. It is a substance induced psychotic break. Your second friend is the exception I already mentioned. His claim to be jesus is considered to be untrue, plus, hos psychosis is also possibly substance related.

So, I am quite happy that your two examples can fit in quite comfortably with what I said as they are easily distinguished from a bog standard religious person that has not had a (known) substance abuse psychotic break and is not claiming to be Jesus.

Think of some of the super religious people you have met or interacted with on these boards even. Are you telling me there aren't a couple that you think might be a couple of laps short of a grand prix...?

MrP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

I think you are missing the point.

Because being deeply religious is viewed in society as a virtue mental problems can go unnoticed or excused.

Religion is full of crazy things being held up as virtuous or things to aspire to. Just pop over to the Christianity forum and ask them what do they think of someone who decides to go their entire life without having sex, or someone who decides to enter a monastery and remain silent for years on end. I would imagine they would say it is great, getting "closer to God"

Yes, there are a few, as I said. I was really only answering your assertion that someone suffering from a religiously based psychosis is not as likely to be locked up as someone with any other sort. I don't believe that to be true (in my experience only).

There's so many borderline folk, who are indeed a few screws short of a shelving unit, but haven't presented with a "psychotic break" yet, and may never. It doesn't matter whether they spout on about angels, dream-catchers, auras or Jesus Christ - they all are (just) within the acceptable boundaries of what is socially ok, and what is a social problem (requiring treatment - the criteria for this being based on social norms).

They are all distinguished though, from someone who doesn't at all find their self-control in relation to other people obeying their wishes - ie. small child not doing what they're instructed.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

One thing I've never understood about god people is the voice of god/mental illness/psychotic episode thing. If you believe in god, and rest upon built up centuries of impacted lines of reasoning, wars battled, billions and billions of moneys and masses of land given to this religion - why is hearing god, or acting upon the words of god in your head wrong?

We all know that if someone starts hearing god speak in their head: there's something wrong, but even religious people think this don't they? If someone kills someone because they were told to do this by god, why do religious people have a problem with it? Why don't they accept it as the word of god? Do they not believe that god speaks to people? The bible is a brutal murder & rapefest, so it's not unlikely that god would tell people to go and slaughter and rape someone, so why not believe these psychotic murderers?

• Advertisement

There's a very fine line between a visionary and a problem for society!

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

There's a very fine line between a visionary and a problem for society!
    Isn't that always the case!

But how does religion differentiate? Does it use science to prove psychosis?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

IMO the dangerous thing about religion is that the "normal" people often fail to hold back the "crazies" and can even encourage them.
    For example it is considered a virtue to talk every night, even aloud, to the god.
    One bat$hit crazy sermon I heard a few times involves a loon called Abraham, one of the founding fathers, who hears a voice telling him to drag his son up a mountain, and slit the kids throat with a knife. He agrees, and thus he passes this test of his faith.

Gordon wrote: »
    Isn't that always the case!

But how does religion differentiate? Does it use science to prove psychosis?

Do you know, I don't think anyone does, and religion (these days maybe) doesn't differentiate. The general criteria for "getting help" if you can get it, is when a person's actions become a "problem" socially - for other people. One person's problem is another person's "ah sure, he's grand when he doesn't talk to people". It's all subjective IMO, and a psychiatrist will push a number of buttons in the form of questions that determine whether the person knows what they're doing (to others) or not. Psychology is not a "hard" science, is it?

I'm no expert, mark you..

recedite wrote: »
    IMO the dangerous thing about religion is that the "normal" people often fail to hold back the "crazies" and can even encourage them.
    For example it is considered a virtue to talk every night, even aloud, to the god.
    One bat$hit crazy sermon I heard a few times involves a loon called Abraham, one of the founding fathers, who hears a voice telling him to drag his son up a mountain, and slit the kids throat with a knife. He agrees, and thus he passes this test of his faith.

I've never heard of this (encouraging the crazies by religious people) these days. Have you an example from within the last 100 years?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

I've never heard of this (encouraging the crazies by religious people) these days. Have you an example from within the last 100 years?!
    I have heard this sermon a few times, and I'm less than 100 yrs old.

Zombrex wrote: »
    I think you are missing the point.

Because being deeply religious is viewed in society as a virtue mental problems can go unnoticed or excused.

Religion is full of crazy things being held up as virtuous or things to aspire to. Just pop over to the Christianity forum and ask them what do they think of someone who decides to go their entire life without having sex, or someone who decides to enter a monastery and remain silent for years on end. I would imagine they would say it is great, getting "closer to God"

Each to their own. Doesn't make them mental. Would you consider someone who smokes 20 fags a day mental aswell?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Addiction is often psychological. Please learn more about mental illness before you start being glib and dismissive about it. It's horrendously insulting.

Sarky wrote: »
    Addiction is often psychological. Please learn more about mental illness before you start being glib and dismissive about it. It's horrendously insulting.

My brother suffers from depression. Serious depression. I have been in and out of hospital with him all my life. I practically lived in the psychiatric unit of Tallaght hospital during 2010. Used to play pool and table tennis with some of the patients, got to know a few of the doctors and nurses. Which means I know quite a bit about mental illness. Please don't assume you know more about mental illness than someone you never met. Its not really insulting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

So we won't see you throwing words like "mental" around in a derogatory manner again, then?

Advertisement