Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you think of this

Options
  • 15-12-2012 8:34pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I have a chance to pick up this for a few quid I think it's an ENCO it's old but has had an easy life, would it be worth getting.
    Cheers.

DSC_0035.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭woodturner

Will parts be readily available if something gives???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭jack of all

I'd definitely go for it if you have the space. My father had a very similar machine, I believe it was an "Incra". There's very little can go wrong, from memory my dad had to replace one bearing in his machine, wouldn't cost more than €20- 30 for that part. A bit of steel wool and some nylon scourers would bring the tables up very nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

If you don't already own a tablesaw and planer it might make sense. Its for small work only. Be prepared for a lotta cleaning up and re-jigging things.If its an Inca the quality will be good.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

I'd like to restore it back to it's former glory just as a little project and then use it for my boatbuilding projects nothing too big :D I'm very tight for space so I have no table saw but if I get this cheep it might be worth keeping outside and covering it up when not in use.

Fergal, don't forget thicknessing - does it do that ? Lastly, life is a lot easier with a mitre saw instead of crosscutting on a saw like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭slpower01

That looks like the type of item that if restored and sat on for 10-20 years could be worth quite a lot!!... looks like a vintage tool!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

He said it also has a mortiser on it and that the one motor can be moved between the plane and the saw, I don't know anything about them but if it's old I think it would look nice done up. I'll go and have a look at it tomorrow and if it's worth doing up I might start a post on the restoration like I did with the Evinrude in the link below, It should be a pice of cake compared that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

Fergal
    If the price is right .... BUY IT.
    It is a INCA, looking at the photo, it has a mortiser on the right side and a support table. The jointer/planer- thicknesser is a combination if memory serves.
    The saw may be a tilt table and not a tilt arbor.

http://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/inca-table-saw-restoration-t35555.html

That looks like it alright, thanks for the link:) I might have to join up if I do get and after seeing that I think I will it looks the business :D

Well I went and had a look but his idea of a few quid was a bit different to mine:eek: he started at €200 and I started €20 :D It's the same as this one but is missing a few bits and pieces like the plane guard and the legs of the table are rotten, I'm not too sure if it worth the effort to restore it. He has to have it gone within the next few weeks as he is selling the house so I'll see what happens as it's gets closer to the time.

127068d1263626926-inca-saw-planer-joiner-combo-bench-rs4.jpg

• Advertisement

€200 still isnt too bad for a thicknesser, morticer and table saw :)

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭bette

Had one of these years ago! It came with diagrams for making up the bench stand and that is the one in the photo. If you have the planer/thicknesser and the saw,it's a breeze to make the bench!

Well worth €200.

Parts are available from Switzerland. Their price list is in German but a phone call will get you all the info you need. They speak English...

http://inca.ch/v1.x/index.php

Just checked with my dad, the machine was of course an "Inca" as per the photos above. Lovely little machine they are; my father's one was fitted to a home made bench. If you can get it at the right price it's certainly worth a punt. I was offered the machine years ago but had to pass on it as I didn't have the time to do a restore on it back then. If offered it now things would be different!

It should have the manufacturers badge on it somewhere. Inca are high end makers but there is an Austrian company called EMCO who made great wookworking tools in the 1980's. They now concentrate on metalworking lathes etc. Either way its probably worth 200e - where will you find another. ?!

It is an INCA for sure he made a mistake thinking it was EMCO but I saw the stamp on the saw cover and on a red plate. I might offer him €100 and see what he says :D

• Registered Users Posts: 44 faithful chippie

100euro is alright, i wouldnt go for it but suit yourself.

if you are going doing a resto, look up electrolysis for cleaning the rust off it, wouldnt really like to clean that with wire wool ar scouring pads or whatever the other lad was saying.

I've used electrolysis for plenty of tool restorations in the past and it's not worth the hassle of set up in a lot of cases, unless there is serious rust involved. Nothing wrong with fine steel wool (00 or 000 grade) or nylon scouring pads IMHO, it's easy check on progress as you go.

When I did the outboard I used vapour blasting and it came out very well it also won't damage any seals or bearings.

DSCN9115.jpg

2012-03-15103517.jpg

2012-05-11093751.jpg

Well I ended up getting it for free as he didn't want the hassle of moving it and putting it in storage. Good things come to those who wait :D She is in a bit of a state:eek: but I think she is worth giving a new life:)

20121230_125134.jpg

20121230_125118.jpg

20121230_125112.jpg

Wow a lovely item to get for free, even if you have to spend 100 on new fences etc it is well worth the investment :) dying to see what its like all restored!!

• Advertisement

Great score, well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

It looks like it will clean up well and if the Evinrude is a indicator it will finish up looking as new.

Good luck and Happy New Year.

Cheers guys.
    Well I started to strip it down today, I'm in two minds whether to build a new table as two of the legs had been cut off:confused: plus it has a lot of dings and a bit of woodworm:eek: or I might just fix it up a bit and leave some of the battle scars for character :D as it will still be used as a working tool.

2013-01-02113118.jpg

2013-01-02113105.jpg

I'd screw/dowel on the missing leg bits and treat for woodworm. Is the machine a canditate for vapour cleaning like the Evenrude ?

Most of the aluminium is not painted so I won't go with vapour blasting just buff it up, the saw table is cast iron so that should scrub up ok and the paint work on the rest is not that bad and might just need a clean and touch up. I will be stripping the motor and repainting it as some of it is flaking of it's made of steel so I will sand blast that primer and paint, as for the legs I'm thinking of cutting the other two off :eek: and fitting locking casters this will bring the level of the saw table to the same height as my work mate so it will be handy for cutting long lengths.

I was having a hard time finding a cover for the planer so I called up the guy and asked him to keep an eye out for any aluminium parts that he thinks might belong to the machine so yesterday he called me to say he had a box of stuff for me to collect :D most of the stuff was just crap but I did get these including the guard so I'm trilled with that :)

20130106_114509.jpg

Also in the box was this stanley plane I have no idea what it's for but it's looks cool :)

20130106_114544.jpg

20130106_114605.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,810 ✭✭✭Odelay

That Stanley No. 45 plane is kinda like a cordless router!

Have a look here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLuFKPeFpQQ

Well the motor is not looking the best :eek:but after I rewire it and get the spiders out it should be fine :D it had been painted with hammerite mid green so I think I will do that instead of looking for original paint.

20130107_124510.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

fergal.b wrote: »
    Well the motor is not looking the best :eek:but after I rewire it and get the spiders out it should be fine :D it had been painted with hammerite mid green so I think I will do that instead of looking for original paint.

20130107_124510.jpg

Ya it's fairly rough looking alright! I wouldn't know where to start in re wiring it

• Advertisement

Would a new motor be out of the question?? as you didnt have to pay for the machine itself... buying a new durable motor might give it a better kick?? just an idea.

Advertisement