Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Those Self Service Suprmarket Machines.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I got 20 quid worth of shopping with coppers before, I went at like 11pm so I wouldn't hold up the queue though cos I hate when auld wans go to self service checkouts and take eons to buy a long pan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

phasers wrote: »
    I got 20 quid worth of shopping with coppers before, I went at like 11pm so I wouldn't hold up the queue though cos I hate when auld wans go to self service checkouts and take eons to buy a long pan

I hate that too....

Fcukers should bring euros to pay for them like the rest of us.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,793 ✭✭✭thomasj

murpho999 wrote: »

Well I know in Superquinn it will ask if you have own bag/box. Tought Tesco did too.

People still don't pack first.

Anyone ever get tiny electric shocks when touching the screens on the superquinn self service. I used to get it a few times that i stopped using them for a while. I have no problems with them now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Well I know in Superquinn it will ask if you have own bag/box. Tought Tesco did too.

People still don't pack first.

They do, but anytime I tried it, it still came up unexpected item.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

[QUOTE=phasers;82481496]I got 20 quid worth of shopping with coppers before, I went at like 11pm so I wouldn't hold up the queue though cos I hate when auld wans go to self service checkouts and take eons to buy a long pan[/QUOTE]

Totally read that as in Coppers and thought "Jesus, they're diversifying"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Because the machines cost a lot of money and are there for your convenience.

You don't have to use them if you don't want to.
    As opposed to saving a load of wages and cutting down staff numbers? I'd say "my convenience" is not too far up the list of any supermarkets priorities. I used to find a nice human cashier waay more convenient, tbh. If they ever invent a shelf stacking robot, it'll be in there like a shot, probably also for "my convenience". If things keep getting so "convenient", there'll be even less jobs to go around, but sure think how "convenient" it will be..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,187 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

A few months ago I carried just under 40 euro in change to a local tesco express. Was at the self-service machine for good bit putting it all in :P (The machines can only take a certain amount of coins then the green light goes off as it counts them. You have to give it a few seconds, light comes back on and proceed to feed it more) But the store was empty. So it was grand.

I can only imagine the moans out of people in the que if you did it when it's busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Pottler wrote: »
    As opposed to saving a load of wages and cutting down staff numbers? I'd say "my convenience" is not too far up the list of any supermarkets priorities. I used to find a nice human cashier waay more convenient, tbh. If they ever invent a shelf stacking robot, it'll be in there like a shot, probably also for "my convenience". If things keep getting so "convenient", there'll be even less jobs to go around, but sure think how "convenient" it will be..

Yup, the Dunnes in town that has them ripped out 3 checkouts and put in 4 self service in about 2008. The machines paid for themselves ages ago, and that's years of wages saved when checkout staff who left weren't replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,444 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Pottler wrote: »

Of course it saves staff.

But it's still a choice and you can still go to a human cashier, so I don't see your point.

I personally prefer the self service when I have a few items.

The one time I tried to offload some coppers into a self-service machine in Tesco, I clogged it up. I've been reluctant to try since. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

I'm waiting for the day they have charity scanners and packers at the self-service machines.

But it's still a choice and you can still go to a human cashier, so I don't see your point.

I'll reserve judgement for a few years. When there's no more cashiers and only self service machines, I'll get back to you on that. Good luck to anyone who used to work as a cashier, I'm sure they'll easily get another job.

Gotta love "progress". We're rapidly progressing ourselves out of work. I don't think the "rise of the machines" we need to fear has anything got to do with terminators, more likly just self-service machines and assembly robots.

For example,a supermarket of the future will have 1 or 2 operatives that wheel out "ready to display" pallets of stock for us to take to a self service checkout. Problem is, so many people will be unemployed, almost no-one will be able to afford the shopping. Fantasy? Wanna bet??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 122 ✭✭Grass between the tracks

I'm waiting for the day they have charity scanners and packers at the self-service machines.

That is the day I kill myself.

There are times when that is not an option.

The ba5tards do have one achilles heel though : "Approval needed" :D

sadly, they'll fix that with biometrics soon enough... :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

The super value ones are terrible , they never work properly .

They have these in super valu? Christ the auld wans must be livid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

My tesco has 2 self service ones and then 2 other self service ones but they have belts on them so they are designed for a full shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭pawrick

Stopped shopping at my local tesco after they got in those machines, the tills they already had were the "express" type which are too narrow for anything other then a few items and I hate the automated tills too as I see it as an inconvenience especially when something goes wrong with them.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Are posters in this thread not mixing up the coins for cash machines in supermarkets and the self- service checkouts?

I use the latter for a couple of items but always a human cashier for a larger shop. Supermarkets can't make all their checkouts self service. I also notice that Lidl doesn't have any of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭teddy b123

What lidl do have is super efficient checkout staff who are timed on ever customer they put through

When I was in a Tesco in Dublin a couple of months back the self service machine was giving me terrible trouble. Nobody there to supervise the machine as the staff were busy :(
    I just logged into store mode, Completed my transaction and went on my merry way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭GRMA

I dont use them, they put people out of jobs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

hardCopy wrote: »
    The tesco machines use a hopper instead of a coin slot, it's designed to take a handful of change at a time.

Do they take volumes of 1's 2's and 5s, must get rid of some of that copper.
    I hate that people don't put bags on first and bag items as they scan.

So they scan first, which takes ages. Then pay and then bag the stuff.

I think in Tesco you can put the bag on first now, that always used to give an alarm.
    Because the machines cost a lot of money and are there for your convenience.

You don't have to use them if you don't want to.

Its only a convenience if it doesnt end up holding you up, when its busy its a bastard trying to get the attention of someone to sort out some error.
    Also, have been to tescos when there were no other tills open

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Merch wrote: »
    I think in Tesco you can put the bag on first now, that always used to give an alarm.

Thought that was always the case? Still "approval needed" after you press the brought own bag button which results in a holdup. A human cashier is faster when this happens! :D

A human cashier is faster in most situations.

It is a total pain in the ass to buy alcohol or items with security tags when forced to use the auto checkouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Ask Rynair why its more expensive to go to a human staff member in the airport to check in. Its clearly cheaper to use an automatic machine than hire Jacintha to pick her nose and gawk at you.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,187 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Are posters in this thread not mixing up the coins for cash machines in supermarkets and the self- service checkouts?

As many people have started to do (myself included :P) Why use a 'coins for cash' machine when 10% to 13% gets deducted.

Just buy some things in tesco and fill the 'self-service' machine up with coins. Win Win ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

gurramok wrote: »
    Thought that was always the case? Still "approval needed" after you press the brought own bag button which results in a holdup. A human cashier is faster when this happens! :D

I wasn't 100% if that had been sorted, I thought I was at a Tesco that allowed me to put my own bag down without authorisation, when that happens it is a pain in the t!ts, along with any other holdups that require authorisation, hence why I avoid them.
    Last time I queued for the small checkout beside the empty self service, I was approached by the staff there to use the machines, I told her I prefer to support jobs, she got a bit tetchy with me (and said something about whoever minding the self service being a job too??) I just brushed it off politely and stayed where I was, I was suprised she got that way, maybe she was a manager? I dont know. I dont particularily like that branch, but its handy for me.
    On a few occasions I have seen only self service in use, late.
    A human cashier is faster in most situations.

It is a total pain in the ass to buy alcohol or items with security tags when forced to use the auto checkouts.

Thats what I agree with, also if you want cash back, I've never seen an option to return cash at the self service but I usually pay with cash/coin there the odd time when i have availed of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Thats what I agree with, also if you want cash back, I've never seen an option to return cash at the self service but I usually pay with cash/coin there the odd time when i have availed of it.
    Definitely have cashback on the asda self service machines in the UK

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

I

Yeah never seen the option in my local tesco either but then again a 2 second walk to the bank machine sorts that out :P

Advertisement