Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Obesity benefits cut for refusal to exercise

Options
  • 03-01-2013 6:07pm
    Administrators Posts: 53,526 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-20897681

In England, in 1 council, to put it into perspective.

Honestly, I can see the merit in it. Exercise sessions can be prescribed by doctors over there if you are fat. If you refuse to attend these sessions then why should you continue to receive money from the taxpayer?

Of course, we'll hear all this "I'm fat and it's out of my control". I'm sure that's true in some cases, I'm also sure it's not true for the majority of cases. A lot of people are fat because what comes in is more than what goes out.

Provided it is judged on a case-by-case basis by doctors (which appears to be the case) then I say it's a good idea.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

Fat chance...

With that out of the way, I'd like to voice my approval for this initiative.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

We need Simpson's style Fat Camps

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Daftendirekt

Terrible idea.

Leaving aside the intrusiveness of the proposal, has it occurred to these people that this might actually deter some people from seeking medical advice or assistance in the first place?

Also, if this is to be rolled out, why only obesity? Why not force diabetics or people suffering with some form of muscular dystrophy to take up these exercise regimes as well? Regular exercise is important for people suffering with these conditions to maintain their health, so why only target fat people?

And what good is compulsory exercise to someone who has no inclination to change their diet anyway? Should people have to report everything they eat to the local welfare office?

This is an idea designed to appeal to the kind of person who likes to abuse fat people while pretending to be concerned about their health or the financial burden they put on the healthcare system. Not a way to reduce obesity.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭lim abroad

Terrible idea.

Leaving aside the intrusiveness of the proposal, has it occurred to these people that this might actually deter some people from seeking medical advice or assistance in the first place?

Also, if this is to be rolled out, why only obesity? Why not force diabetics or people suffering with some form of muscular dystrophy to take up these exercise regimes as well? Regular exercise is important for people suffering with these conditions to maintain their health, so why only target fat people?

And what good is compulsory exercise to someone who has no inclination to change their diet anyway? Should people have to report everything they eat to the local welfare office?

This is an idea designed to appeal to the kind of person who likes to abuse fat people while pretending to be concerned about their health or the financial burden they put on the healthcare system. Not a way to reduce obesity.

There should be no such thing as obesity benefit in the first place

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Bucket of KFC + fishing rod + treadmill = problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Some of the doctors I know are obese themselves. Come to think of it James Reilly and Mary Harney as Ministers for Health say it all.

lim abroad wrote: »
    There should be no such thing as obesity benefit in the first place

Not sure if serious, but...

... I don't think there is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

Right so, will the money saved by cutting these benefits go into better nutritional educational in the schooling system?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Froyo

Terrible idea.

Yeah because being obese is akin to having a disorder such add muscular dystrophy!

What a silly thing to say.

Obesity is a 'condition' that is fully preventable and curable. It involves, to an extent, a person making the correct lifestyle choices.

There should be no benefits for essentially being fat and lazy.

In some cases, counselling should be provided to help them on their way. That's it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Terrible idea.

Why should someone who cant be arsed finding a job because they are happy enough to sit at home stuffing their face with cream cakes and watching Jeremy Kyle on the telly get benefits and then claim that they are too obese to work anyway.
    There is a difference between someone who is lazy and obese and could do something about it and someone who has a medical condition through no fault of their own.

• Administrators Posts: 53,526 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Right so, will the money saved by cutting these benefits go into better nutritional educational in the schooling system?
    The idea is to reduce spending. Reduce the amount of money being pumped in to the NHS.

Cuts being made somewhere doesn't mean there has to be more spent somewhere else!

Froyo wrote: »
    Yeah because being obese is akin to having a disorder such add muscular dystrophy!

What a silly thing to say.

Obesity is a 'condition' that is fully preventable and curable. It involves, to an extent, a person making the correct lifestyle choices.

Nothing silly about it. The stated aim of the proposal is to reduce the healthcare budget. If it's acceptable to intrude into the lives of welfare recipients to do this, then why single out one condition over another? The fact that obesity is preventable and curable is beside the point.
    There should be no benefits for essentially being fat and lazy.
    There are none that I know of.
    In some cases, counselling should be provided to help them on their way. That's it.
    Agreed.

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    Why should someone who cant be arsed finding a job because they are happy enough to sit at home stuffing their face with cream cakes and watching Jeremy Kyle on the telly get benefits and then claim that they are too obese to work anyway.

Feel free to point out where in the article it mentions people like this. Because I can't see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

Not sure if serious, but...

... I don't think there is.
    There is an alcoholism benefit in the UK. If you are certified as an alcoholic you can get extra payments. If you successfully kick your addiction you lose this benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭PaurGasm

GOOD...Might get the aulde pair off their bloody asses before they kick the bucket

There is an alcoholism benefit in the UK. If you are certified as an alcoholic you can get extra payments. If you successfully kick your addiction you lose this benefit.

Got a link?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Terrible idea.

Diabetes and muscular dystrophy are in no way comparable to being fat. Fat through medical reasons is one thing, I was on steroids before and balooned, fat from being a lazy fcuker is something else entirely.

krudler wrote: »
    Diabetes and muscular dystrophy are in no way comparable to being fat. Fat through medical reasons is one thing, I was on steroids before and balooned, fat from being a lazy fcuker is something else entirely.

Right, maybe muscular dystrophy was a bad example. Point still stands for diabetes though, which is often preventable.

? The fact that obesity is preventable and curable is beside the point.

Er, that's EXACTLY the point. It seems the point is going way over your head.

Obesity is not only preventable but it is curable. Hence why it is targeted. You can often fix it without even needing medication!

Comparisons with MD or diabetes are total nonsense.

• Advertisement

What the **** does obesity have to do with claiming benefits? What a load of bull****. Also if it's the NHS budget they're trying to save on then why not target working families since they make up the majority? Reduce their tax credits or charge them extra tax if they drive to work. There's no logic behind the idea at all.

What the **** does obesity have to do with claiming benefits? What a load of bull****. Also if it's the NHS budget they're trying to save on then why not target working families since they make up the majority? Reduce their tax credits or charge them extra tax if they drive to work. There's no logic behind the idea at all.
    If your weight affects your ability to work you get benefits. That's what it has to do with it

Why target people who work? Why target those who contribute? Why not target those who don't contribute?

awec wrote: »
    Er, that's EXACTLY the point. It seems the point is going way over your head.

Obesity is not only preventable but it is curable. Hence why it is targeted. You can often fix it without even needing medication!

Comparisons with MD or diabetes are total nonsense.

Fair enough, I get where you're coming from now.

If your weight affects your ability to work you get benefits. That's what it has to do with it.

How many cases are there of that? Other than the people who are at the stage that they can't exercise and need to have a wall removed from their house how many people can't find work because of obesity?

How many cases are there of that? Other than the people who are at the stage that they can't exercise and need to have a wall removed from their house how many people can't find work because of obesity?
    Plenty.

You don't need to be at wall-removal stage of obesity to be able to say you can't work.

Plenty.

You don't need to be at wall-removal stage of obesity to be able to say you can't work.

Got a link to any guidelines? I'm pretty extremely obese but it doesn't get me out of cleaning out guttering or helping mates put up fences.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Utterly retarded idea, people can exercise all they want but it's not going to help one bit if they're eating a burger and chips every night.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Sounds like a great idea. The benefits are leverage to get obese people to eat healthier and do some exercise as opposed to taking meds and doing sweet f**k all at home. In the long term, they'll live a better life, and won't need the state to nanny them as much when they get older.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Right, maybe muscular dystrophy was a bad example. Point still stands for diabetes though, which is often preventable.

wtf, so if someone contracts diabetes, no free insulin for you, its preventable. what tosh.

• Advertisement

Got a link to any guidelines? I'm pretty extremely obese but it doesn't get me out of cleaning out guttering or helping mates put up fences.
    Fair play to you. Do you clean gutters and put up fences every day though?

Advertisement