Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RyanAir catching crap again

Options
  • 13-12-2012 3:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/1212/families-of-ill-children-forced-to-repack-luggage.html
    The families of three seriously-ill children, who were embarking on a surprise charity trip to Disneyland, said they were annoyed, inconvenienced and humiliated after they had to repack their overweight luggage for a Ryanair flight.

The families were all travelling with the Share a Dream Foundation, and the seven children on the trip were recipients of the National Children of Courage awards.

They had been honoured for their bravery in the face of serious illnesses, many of them life-threatening.

As part of their award they were all treated to a surprise trip to Disneyland in Paris and took off from Dublin Airport.

Three of the families involved had to check in twice at the Ryanair check-in desk after some of their luggage was found to be overweight.

The families said they were annoyed and humiliated when they had to unpack some bags, which included their sick children’s medicines and other essential items, and repack into other luggage.

Share a Dream described the incident as a "disgrace". In addition, the group observed the quota of just four wheelchairs when booking the trip.

In a statement about the incident this afternoon, Ryanair said they regret the inconvenience caused, but are pleased that the families concerned avoided excess bag baggage charges by being given the opportunity to repack their bags.

What do people reckon? Rules are Rules in my opinion. I don't think it's news worthy but apparently RTE do. Does RTE have something against Ryanair?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Unfortunately when you market and run your business as aggressively as Ryanair do, you irritate a lot of people and you end up getting flak for stuff others wouldn't.

They are a popular company but not a 'popular' one, as it were.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭m.j.w

What do they want? Rules for some and not for others? There luggage was overweight and they had to do what anyone else would have had to. Makes no difference who it happens to, follow the rules and it doesnt happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

To Ryanair they were just passengers. Surely whoever booked the tickets should have made the families aware of the luggage allowances?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Before Ryanair you had to pay four billion pounds to fly to London. Now it only costs 49cent.

Or something like that :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Before Ryanair you had to pay four billion pounds to fly to London

Yeah, but to be fair it was a return and they did an amazing chicken salad on the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Does RTE have something against Ryanair?

O'leary somehow has managed to make himself simultaneously the most publicised/talked about man in irish buiness and also some sort of underdog

He can't court all that publicity, and then complain when not every story is accompanied by the tag "ireland's low cost airline..."

Ryanair have loads of ugly little things about them but I use them, when it suits me (time/price etc). I don't see why people have to be so brand dependent one way or the other

Go with whatever carrier suits your needs/wants best (be it cheap and nasty like Ryanair or otherwise)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/1212/families-of-ill-children-forced-to-repack-luggage.html

What do people reckon? Rules are Rules in my opinion. I don't think it's news worthy but apparently RTE do. Does RTE have something against Ryanair?

If Ryanair were RTE then every house in the country would have to pay for a Ryanair flight even if you only ever flew British airways.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

I stand with Ryanair on this one. Everyone knows the rules, they're not that hard to follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

The foundation could have avoided these inevitable problems if they'd booked with Aer Lingus. I've never seen them bother to check luggage. Booking with Ryanair is like booking an economy saver bus trip they could have splashed out a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

Does RTE have something against Ryanair?

Everybody seems to pick on Ryanair unfairly so, The rules are there in black and white everybody knows them, The reason they were on a Ryanair flight in the first place is because the tickets were cheap, So if they wanted to be treated differently they should have booked different tickets from someone like AerLingus who probably would have let them on but the tickets would be a hell of a lot dearer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

But...everyone who flies Ryanair knows this...?

Sorry, but their luggage is their luggage. Same rules apply across the board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Those people 'humiliated' themselves.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

It sounds like Ryanair actually helped them by avoiding excess baggage costs.

Terms and Conditions apply when flying with any airline.

I actually had a pleasant surprise recently flying with Ryanair, I was flying back from Berlin with the wife and 2 kids and they bumped us to priority boarding for free.

If you abide by the terms and conditions of Ryanair, you will have no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Keno 92 wrote: »
    Yeah, but to be fair it was a return and they did an amazing chicken salad on the way.

One way, and there was no fresh lemon for my G&T

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

But...everyone who flies Ryanair knows this...?

Sorry, but their luggage is their luggage. Same rules apply across the board.

Ryanair are awful cunts - but not cutting the families of terminally ill children some slack is low, even by their shitty standards.

What was the big deal about making them redistribute stuff across all the bags? What terrible fate was going to befall their flying peasant wagon if they didn't?
    I mean the weight they'll be carrying will be the exact same either way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

I missed a good few Christmases and summers back home due to exorbitant prices set by airlines back before Ryanair arrived.
    It's really easy to play by their rules when you're "only" paying 100 lids or so for a flight in my book.

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭piperh

I'm so glad i'm not the only one, i read this last night and my first thought was "And" i fail to see how its Ryanair's fault they were over the limit, if they didn't want to repack they should have just paid the excess charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭daveyeh

Share a Dream described the incident as a "disgrace". Ehh, hello, it's RYANAIR!

Use another airline in future. Ryanair don't do customer service or rule-bending. No matter who you are. If you want that, pay more and fly with another airline.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

I can't believe how some people stick up for ryanair. People who aren't even employed by ryanair, and if they were and had any form of independent personality, they probably wouldn't be quick to jump to their almighty employer's defence.

Just because they're owned by an irish man. They couldn't care less about you.
    I'm not saying you should begrudge them but they are heartless, they operate well but they don't need you mere mortals jumping to their honour because you think you're some kind of patriot.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Thank god "the rules" override compassion these days. Sure f*ck the kids and the adults trying to do something nice for them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Ryanair are Ryanair, everyone knows this. You know they're going to be strict on weight, so why pack your bags overweight?

Leftist wrote: »
    I can't believe how some people stick up for ryanair. People who aren't even employed by ryanair, and if they were and had any form of independent personality, they probably wouldn't be quick to jump to their almighty employer's defence.

I'm not saying you should begrudge them but they are heartless, they operate well but they don't need you mere mortals jumping to their honour because you think you're some kind of patriot.

I don't think its about patriotism in fairness. Its about the rules.

They operate a heartless business model. It's what they do. Personally I hate flying with them but it won't stop me doing so again if the price is right.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

rules are rules, why try think you can avoid them! Really annoying watching people getting caught trying to escape with extra baggage - delaying my always late a$$

humanji wrote: »
    Thank god "the rules" override compassion these days. Sure f*ck the kids and the adults trying to do something nice for them.

Overly emotional ninnyness.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

There's 'the rules' and then there's basic human decency. Ryanair appear to have plenty of the former and little of the later.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

daveyeh wrote: »
    Overly emotional ninnyness.
    How so? It's the sentiment being shown here. Rules are rules and f*ck everyone who can't live with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Leftist wrote: »

People are responding to an RTE News item which seeks to denigrate Ryanair, by pointing out the actual facts.
    RTE is stuffed to the gills by extreme left ideologists who hate Ryanair and all they stand for.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kopfan77

Where To wrote: »
    Ryanair are Ryanair, everyone knows this. You know they're going to be strict on weight, so why pack your bags overweight?

Alot of people making the assumption "shur everyone knows what ryanair are like". Yes its 2012 but dont presume that all people these days are frequent flyers and know the ins and outs of how ryanair run their business. I know one of the families involved...there was mad dash trying to get passports etc when they got this opportunity and hell of a lot of thought into how to best pack/transport large quantities of medication, wheelchairs etc for a child with severe medical issues. This wasnt your everyday traveller, so cut em a bit of slack....if this was me, or the majority of travellers who rolled up with bags overweight etc, then yes I would expect to be treated this way by ryanair and I would have no one to blame but myself...but these werent normal circumstances.......no one seems to be able to use common sense and discretion these days.....the world is not black and white people...theres lots of grey thrown in as well

I assumed this was sarcasm.

• Advertisement

Rules are rules and f*ck everyone who can't live with them.

This should be Ryanairs motto

Advertisement