Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

brand loyalty

Options
  • 05-12-2012 9:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭

I gave up on brands a long time ago, sure the 'yellow pack' stuff doesnt taste exactly the same but in many cases its just as good, just different to what you are used to.

some people I know would feel embarassed having a basket/trolly full of unbranded groceries, why is this? its food that you eat or soap you wash with, nobody can see the brand name of the dinner in your belly

now that we have another harsh budget will people vote with their wallets in the supermarket, or give in to social stigma and keep up appearances?

'weetabix' is weetabix, you cant fúck it up when the only ingredient is wheat. 40c shower gel will clean you just as much as the 2euro bottle thats on half price special offer!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Haven't given up on brand boards.ie, eh, OP? Need an internet connection for that. Expensive things, I hear.

Writing the above on a yellow post it slip would cost less.

KABOOM!

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭tacofries

Red Hand wrote: »
    Haven't given up on brand boards.ie, eh, OP? Need an internet connection for that. Expensive things, I hear.

Writing the above on a yellow post it slip would cost less.

KABOOM!

Sorry?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

'weetabix' is weetabix, you cant fúck it up when the only ingredient is wheat.

Weird that you give this as an example because in reading your post it's the first thing that came to mind. I bought Aldi's Bixies last month and ended up throwing half the packet away because they were awful. Unlike Weetabix they turn into a soft mush straight away and there's a definite difference in taste.

Wouldn't deviate from Heinz Ketchup or Coleman's Mustard either after tasting many inferior rival products.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

tacofries wrote: »
    Sorry?

It was a stupid joke. Apologies OP.

On topic, I don't get why people buy branded soap or things like bleach etc.

Food...yeah, I can taste the difference between some brands, but even then, it's not the more expensive one that is better. Agree with Coleman's Mustard above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

alot of kitchen cleaners are just bleach, water and some scents, I buy a big container of bleach and mix it with water in an old spray container.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Fairy makes me soft, I don't care what you say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭franktheplank

Tesco crispies rock my world.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

If I drink it and I don't pisss myself it is a winner in my book, I am clean and I have upped my resistance to stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Coca-Cola > Every non-brand name cola.

No contest.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I can't eat / drink the nonbrand copies of coke and chocolate. Cadburys and coca cola just win hands down

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

There's an awful lot of shíte out there.
    Listerine are the only ones who can do mouthwash right IMO. And Heinz for the ketchup... instead of red vinegar-water.

I've bitten into a small stone, honest to God, f*cking stone in a bowl of cheap cereal and what appeared to be a a fragment of sea-shell in a pack of frozen potato wedges. I figure the extra I pay for a reliable brand saves me the cost and pain associated with a broken tooth.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

I've tried all the alternatives, Robinsons etc, but none are as good as Mi-Wadi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

some people I know would feel embarassed having a basket/trolly full of unbranded groceries, why is this?

Because they're idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭hattoncracker

Aldi all the way!!
    I would feel guilty buying a whole trolley of branded goods, tbh! I couldn't justify paying for them!
    The recession has made me cook/bake more! I bake my own bread and try loads of new recipes now, no brand loyalty for me.

Once it tastes good and cleans me and my house, im ok with it. I have very little brand loyalty these days.

Branded Tea Bags, Beans, Ketchup & brown sauce, and washing up liquid.

That's about it I think. They taste better though (the washing up liquid is yummy) it's not because I want to be seen with branded crap in my trolley.

Other than that the food I buy is all fresh, so wouldn't be branded anyway.

Some things I'd buy brand, some things I'd buy unbranded. Such is life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

If people are brand loyal then the marketing dept had done their job

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

All I need are 'dayycent' teabags. Anything that is remotely good for you (fruit, veg, unprocessed meat etc) is all unbranded anyway and I'm fairly sure I could wash myself with kitchen cleaner without noticing any major difference... apart from smelling slightly more lemmony.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,382 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

It's worse in the UK. The competition between supermarkets has brought the quality of the economy stuff below anything that people would buy here.
    Asda have more than one level of own brand stuff, the cheapest range is utter muck. They've managed to mess up things you wouldn't think they could get wrong. Their own brand beer is exclusively for alcoholics, students wouldn't touch it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭LostCorkGuy

Where To wrote: »
    Fairy makes me soft, I don't care what you say.

Makes you soft alright .......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

Im brand loyal to a certain extent, I just like comapnies more than others but Im not exactly crazy over particular brands.

Comapanies I like and will give my money to:

JJ Kavanaghs
    Aer Lingus
    Valve (gayben)

Brands I dislike and will avoid giving my money to at all costs:

Ryanair
    Bus Eireann
    EA Games
    Apple (will never get a cent off me)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Egos get in the way sometimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭DylanII

I dont take much unbranded stuff.

I generally prefer unbranded Cornflakes, Digestive biscuits and some chocolate bars (the ones like a milkyway) milk, sugar - thats the only unbranded stuff I could find in my kitchen

I wont take any unbranded hygiene/skin products (shower gel, shampoo, conditioner, soap, moisturiser, toothpaste, mouthwash - all of these I only buy the very expensive stuff ), drinks, tea bags, washing powder, all other cereals - pretty much everything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

I just don't enjoy any of that cheap crap, I don't mind the Tesco Finest own brand some good stuff there, and i'd buy the supermarket own brands for certain things, but all that blue white and red, and aldi/lidl ****e I just cant eat, Ive tried and tried so many times, but its all horrible.

Don't know why people buy say Oggie Boogie Beans for €0.10 cheaper than Heinz, then they say it tastes the same, But YOU KNOW IT DOESNT

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

who the fuck looks at other peoples shopping? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

pmcmahon wrote: »
    who the fu[SIZE="2"]c[/SIZE]k looks at other peoples shopping? :confused:
    Brand loyality enthusiastics thats who.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Branded Tea Bags, Beans, Ketchup & brown sauce, and washing up liquid.

That's about it I think. They taste better though (the washing up liquid is yummy) it's not because I want to be seen with branded crap in my trolley.

Other than that the food I buy is all fresh, so wouldn't be branded anyway.

I'm surprised by the loyalty to branded washing up liquid. Why bother?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

aldi do a 'premium' washing up liquid that's a euro a bottle and it's miles better than fairy, much thicker and longer lasting.

Lyons tea, diet coke and kelloggs cornflakes are the only brands that I'm loyal to, the knockoffs never taste good.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swimming in a sea

Once you get used to non branded food its not to bad.
    I only now buy M&S own brand and the quality is pretty good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭franktheplank

Is this a ploy to get the marketing shills out in the open?

As for me, I'll use nothing but gummy gums toothpaste, leaves my teeth whiter and white and makes me sooooo attractive to sexy ladies.

Advertisement