Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

There is a very easy way to farm those guys, not saying anything, give YouTube a look.

Btw I absolutely love my balder side sword+15 with dark moon blade. Cast dmb, then vow of silence and forget about pursuers. Finally found a good dark moon place on PC, dukes archives is hopping.

Yeah it's my weapon of choice at the moment aswell. The fast attack speed makes it put out incredible damage with DMB!

I finally beat Ornstein and Smough on NG+ after getting beaten umpteen times. Then I decide to go to the Giant Blacksmith to get a few nice upgrades using my boss souls. A lightning demon follows me into the area where the Giant Blacksmith is and I accidentaly hit the Blacksmith. Now the Blacksmith keeps attacking me and I can never get my boss weapon upgrades as a result. As a consequence of this totally frustrating development I'm done with this game for good. **** this unfair ****!

If you didn't kill the Blacksmith outright then you can go and absolve your sins with Oswald of Carim underneath the Parish belltower! Although it will cost you a fair few souls since you're on NG+ and probably a high SL.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Big Knox wrote: »
    Yeah it's my weapon of choice at the moment aswell. The fast attack speed makes it put out incredible damage with DMB!

Its the r2 attack that makes it, almost as quick as an r1 and pretty good damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 seannyboy127

So I've recently bought a copy of Dark Souls in the local HMV (Tallght , the Square)
    and this game has to be the most frustratingly hard game I've ever played ,
    anybody wanna disus?
    any Tips/hints?

im new here btw.

Its the r2 attack that makes it, almost as quick as an r1 and pretty good damage.

Yeah it's such a good moveset. I'm also loving the Great Scythe and SKS atm. The range on both is crazy and the SKS is such a good weapon for certain situations. Are you using WotG in your build?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,438 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

If you didn't kill the Blacksmith outright then you can go and absolve your sins with Oswald of Carim underneath the Parish belltower! Although it will cost you a fair few souls since you're on NG+ and probably a high SL.

Oh right I didn't realise you can do that. I didn't kill the blacksmith at all so I'm gonna go straight to Oswald now. I thought I screwed up my chance of getting the Greatsword of Artorias forever. Thank you for this, THANK YOU!:pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Welcome, welcome.

Theres a massive Dark Souls thread over on the Games forum here.

My advice is decide what type of character you want to build and focus your stats in the right areas for that character.

If you can't decide then END and to a lesser extent VIT are the stats you need for every build so maybe put some early points in them until you make up your mind.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,897 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I've played games an awful lot harder than Dark Souls. It's just tough in comparison to most games out at the moment. It's never unfair though, if you die it's your own fault. Stick with the game and make sure you decide on a build before you waste stat increases on the wrong stats. It's one of the most satisfying games this generation and I'd go so far as to say it's the best game this generation.

You'll get some great advice on the games forum thread.

Oh right I didn't realise you can do that. I didn't kill the blacksmith at all so I'm gonna go straight to Oswald now. I thought I screwed up my chance of getting the Greatsword of Artorias forever. Thank you for this, THANK YOU!:pac::pac::pac:

Glad to hear you won't be quitting! Let us know how many souls it costs, I think it depends on your SL.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

If your on NG+ you should have the silver serpent ring, so if you go to Oswald and he asks for too many souls head down and farm the forest dudes with the ring, its close and you'll rack up souls in no time :)

• Advertisement

Yeah it's such a good moveset. I'm also loving the Great Scythe and SKS atm. The range on both is crazy and the SKS is such a good weapon for certain situations. Are you using WotG in your build?

Yeah but with vow of silence I rarely get to use it. Handy though for tanks, break their guard then hit r2 and r1 for a quick combo.

Yeah but with vow of silence I rarely get to use it. Handy though for tanks, break their guard then hit r2 and r1 for a quick combo.

Yeah It's a great guard breaker alright. If you get a knockdown you can pretty much spam it with dead angle and wake up timing for the kill but it can feel a little cheap! :pac:

Would you not run GMB instead of vow to allow yourself to cast?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,278 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Got too Manus last night.

Fight lasted a good 7 mins or so before he killed me.

Usual problems as a Faith based character and trying to time lightning bolts.

Was blocking quite well then after 7 mins he one shotted me with his giant hand.

Been messing about in Oolascile Township. Letting myself get invaded and using sneaky FORCE to knock people off tight ledges!

What is that "Let there be Light" thing about on that ledge?

noodler wrote: »
    What is that "Let there be Light" thing about on that ledge?

Equip the skull lantern or sunlight maggot to find out.

As for gmb, never used it, keep thinking of the shield from demons, does it restrict movement?

Equip the skull lantern or sunlight maggot to find out.

As for gmb, never used it, keep thinking of the shield from demons, does it restrict movement?

No there's no restriction, It's just a magic absorb. It reduces all magic damage by about 90 - 95% including Dark magic and there's no downside to it. It even blocks weapon buff damage like DMB and SLB.

The only problem is the better players will see it and run away until it wears off but you get 2 casts that last 40 seconds each!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

So I had a day of dark souls today.
    Little bit more progress:

Opened that door in woods and farmed a bit for souls there. Got good few stats and that cool eastern armour?
    While I was in the woods I killed those giants and that butterfly.
    Next I got to down town and killed some dual wielding demons prick. I died about 5 times on him. The stupid thing is the boss was not a problem, those 2 damn dogs were a major pain in a hole!
    So that's for today :D . I know I a noob compared to you lads, but I am getting there.

I have a feeling that I have an aweful aweful setup, but surprisingly it works for me. I am using a 2 handed sword in one hand and boldar shield, plus mix of eastern and chain armour. Got the poison ring ( getting ready for blightown :) ) and ring which lets me have more load. So far I easily keep it under half. I could get away half load even witouth that ring though, but still not enough to make it 1/4 :(.
    So far this setup works waaaaaay better for me then I had dex/light set up on ps3. I will see how it will work out in the feuture

So now few questions:

I am using basic 2hander sword ( zinsething ). It's +5 and can't get it any more, need some better titanite, but still haven't found a bit of it :(. I got black knights polearm and some demon clever thing? ( from that boss in downtown with 2 dogs ). So which 2hander do I work for? Are the ones I got are any worth getting trained for?
    Any ideas where to get better one? Btw do I have a brain fart or those mossy stone giants in wood drop a 2hander too? I could swear they dropped some sort of sword when I was still playing on ps3.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,589 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Oh God, why can't Manus just lie down and die. I've noticed they've added bonfires to the warp list so I've went and got my hands on an eagle shield.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

I tried earlier to find someone to summon for Manus without any joy. Where are the usual/best spots to pick up summon signs? I'm about SL55 maybe that's working against me for summons?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,589 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

For some reason, I'm sorely tempted to restart both games with specific builds in mind as opposed to the Jack-of-all-trades type I have atm. I see you've done some writing on magic-based builds, Penev10.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

So I had a day of dark souls today.
    Little bit more progress:

Opened that door in woods and farmed a bit for souls there. Got good few stats and that cool eastern armour?
    While I was in the woods I killed those giants and that butterfly.
    Next I got to down town and killed some dual wielding demons prick. I died about 5 times on him. The stupid thing is the boss was not a problem, those 2 damn dogs were a major pain in a hole!
    So that's for today :D . I know I a noob compared to you lads, but I am getting there.

I have a feeling that I have an aweful aweful setup, but surprisingly it works for me. I am using a 2 handed sword in one hand and boldar shield, plus mix of eastern and chain armour. Got the poison ring ( getting ready for blightown :) ) and ring which lets me have more load. So far I easily keep it under half. I could get away half load even witouth that ring though, but still not enough to make it 1/4 :(.
    So far this setup works waaaaaay better for me then I had dex/light set up on ps3. I will see how it will work out in the feuture

So now few questions:

I am using basic 2hander sword ( zinsething ). It's +5 and can't get it any more, need some better titanite, but still haven't found a bit of it :(. I got black knights polearm and some demon clever thing? ( from that boss in downtown with 2 dogs ). So which 2hander do I work for? Are the ones I got are any worth getting trained for?
    Any ideas where to get better one? Btw do I have a brain fart or those mossy stone giants in wood drop a 2hander too? I could swear they dropped some sort of sword when I was still playing on ps3.

Havels ring is excellent, it's my go to ring along with ring of favor and protection. I have used it on all of my playthroughs!

Under 50% equip is fine if you are using a large or great sword. You will need poise however so you can swing through attacks. Try play around with different armour combos and get your poise as high as possible and preferably staying under 50% if you can. The wolf ring in the Butterfly garden is excellent to help increase your poise. It's found behind a tree near the entrance to the stone giants, you need to attack the tree to remove it.

As for swords, the claymore is a fantastic strength weapon. It has a really good moveset both 1 and 2 handed and has great reach while not being too heavy or slow. You can find it on the bridge under the hellkite dragon, but it might require a suicide run! The giants do drop a 2 hander alright but it requires a huge amount of strength to use and is very very slow. The claymore or Zweihander would definitely be your best bet, try both and see which you prefer then start upgrading it.

To upgrade a weapon past +5 you need the large ember which is in the next area you are heading to now. Look around the room with the hooded butcher to find it!

• Advertisement

penev10 wrote: »
    I tried earlier to find someone to summon for Manus without any joy. Where are the usual/best spots to pick up summon signs? I'm about SL55 maybe that's working against me for summons?

You are fairly low for Manus alright. Summons are usually at the bonfire under Oolacile township before you enter the Abyss!

No there's no restriction, It's just a magic absorb. It reduces all magic damage by about 90 - 95% including Dark magic and there's no downside to it. It even blocks weapon buff damage like DMB and SLB.

The only problem is the better players will see it and run away until it wears off but you get 2 casts that last 40 seconds each!

Yeah used it today, dude cast pursuers and I walked through it, he ran but I'd <25 equip burden so outran him and did him in.

Got a really ugly armour setup at the moment but its 43 poise for only 20 weight. This weekend Pc was hopping for online. Got about 30 souvenirs. Dark moon is odd yesterday I invaded the same guy 6 times, today some other dude 8 times, got a few 3-4 times tonight.

I'm amazed people don't track who they pvp, one dude got me with wog as I came around a bookcase in dukes and pummeled me. Next time I go to his world I cast wotg at the bookcase knock him over cast silence and he runs around like an idiot shaking his wand when he castes. I did this to him a further 3 times, same place and events every time.

I see you've done some writing on magic-based builds, Penev10.
    Yeah, have this posted up on the wiki. Been meaning to revise it as having done a build for the DLC I reckon using the Sorcerer and laying off putting points into VIT and END you can get a more potent attacking option earlier. (The Pyromancer is useful for farming in the swamp but it doesn't make that big of a difference not to go with the Sorcerer.) Anyway, I had a SL50 in about 8 hours play with basically everything you need for PVE. Flew through the DLC with it but have hit a wall with Manus.

Glad to hear you won't be quitting! Let us know how many souls it costs, I think it depends on your SL.

It cost approx 60,000 souls although luckily I had something like 150,000 souls spare. Was worth every soul penny:) I've just started the new DLC and I'm just on Artorias now although he's kicking my ass so far.
    The Sanctuary Guardian was a cakewalk but man those Guardian Giants in the Royal Woods are tough, if the hornet thingys with the forks gang up on you when you are in the middle of fighting one of those giants then you can forget it.

I have to say the Lightning Heavy Crossbow +5 has been a great friend to me since last night, especially in the fights against Super Smough and The Stray Asylum Demon

I think players are generally of a higher SL now than when the game first launched. No traffic in Anor Londo at SL 40 at the moment where as back int' day that would've been prime summoning range. Found plenty of traffic at SL60 though and these were people who weren't even ready to fight O&S.

Didn't they up the souls received for most enemies in one of the patches? the 1.04 I think. Maybe that has something to do with it.

I finally got myself hooked up to Xbox live. Currently a member of the Darkmoon Blade covenant. After last night's pathetic efforts I should change my Gamertag name to "Backstab Bitch". Kept getting backstabbed to death. Oh well, playing against human players will only make me better:). Those I did manage to kill sent me abusive messages, it's great fun:pac::pac:

Also a big thank you to the Sorceror who helped me beat Artorias last night. Your Soul arrows and my Lightning heavy crossbow+5 made short work of him;)

well i played today a bit again.

got to the sewers and one shoted that dragon thing? I did summon the sun knight, but he only lasted until 90% of boss anyway, so was pretty much useless.
    i bought the whole armor set from that vendor too. chest and helm hit a spot for me. got my poss up to 46 after getting advices here.
    i started poking in to blight town and oh boy how i am not looking forward to that place... though i have to say the current setup i got is 1000 times more efficient and easyer then the one i had on ps3 ( dex setup ). I just face roll everything so far and i am level 45 atm ( my dex character was around 55 ).
    when i kill that spider bitch ( i hated that bitch ) the rest of the game will be new for me :). hopefully i will get to her tonight, but now i got to go and make dinner, because misses is back home soon.

I finally got myself hooked up to Xbox live. Currently a member of the Darkmoon Blade covenant. After last night's pathetic efforts I should change my Gamertag name to "Backstab Bitch". Kept getting backstabbed to death. Oh well, playing against human players will only make me better:). Those I did manage to kill sent me abusive messages, it's great fun:pac::pac:

Also a big thank you to the Sorceror who helped me beat Artorias last night. Your Soul arrows and my Lightning heavy crossbow+5 made short work of him;)

Backstabbing is 90% of the metagame unfortunately as it's a broken mechanic due to the online side of things being so laggy.

To be competent in PvP you literally have to interpret what your enemy is going to do and try react before it happens. It does make for some very interesting fights though especially if you can counter a move before it happens which makes it all the sweeter.

Back peddle a lot, if any enemy is generally not attacking but is staying close and sizing you up he is more than likely back stab fishing so play safe and don't give him an opening. If you get put down expect a BS chain attempt. Do not roll away from your enemy when getting up as it's the most obvious move. Roll through them or to the side when possible. And finally if that doesn't work and you are still getting backstabbed a lot, try playing unlocked as locking on gives them an advantage to land the BS due to lag.
    well i played today a bit again.

got to the sewers and one shoted that dragon thing? I did summon the sun knight, but he only lasted until 90% of boss anyway, so was pretty much useless.
    i bought the whole armor set from that vendor too. chest and helm hit a spot for me. got my poss up to 46 after getting advices here.
    i started poking in to blight town and oh boy how i am not looking forward to that place... though i have to say the current setup i got is 1000 times more efficient and easyer then the one i had on ps3 ( dex setup ). I just face roll everything so far and i am level 45 atm ( my dex character was around 55 ).
    when i kill that spider bitch ( i hated that bitch ) the rest of the game will be new for me :). hopefully i will get to her tonight, but now i got to go and make dinner, because misses is back home soon.

Try and equip as much poison resist as possible, it will make life in blight much easier. It also means when you get poisoned in the swamp that it doesn't become an issue and does minimal damage which you can flask through easily.

You should look into getting the Wolf ring in the butterfly garden, it gives 40 poise and when combined with Havels you can pretty much swing through the majority of enemy attacks while maintaining the mid roll. What weapon are you using out of curiosity?

that 2hander Zighsomething its called ( sorry, english is not my first language, i just cant remember :d )

i did bought that poison resist ring from a vendor near gargoyles boss, but i did skipped on that ring in forest. i dont know if its worth going back? So far mobs do feck all damage to me with poison and the only issue i get are those spitter bastards. though i dont mind suicide kill them. i cant remember how much my poison resist is now, but i think its around 190.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

When you're summoned and help someone defeat the gargoyles and hear the bell ringing a minute later back in your own world:

mah-nigga-240x180.jpg

Need ideas for a build. Level 40 now but have only really put points into vit and dex (and 16 strength for the halberd). I've deleted three characters after about ten hours each because they weren't my cup of tea.
    Going for <25% equip load, not really bothered with poise this time

Advertisement