Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it actually illegal to remove a wheel clamp from your car?

Options
  • 08-11-2012 6:35pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 809 ✭✭✭

Had a friend tell me that he used an angle grinder to cut a clamp off his car today and that there was no legal recourse that (private) clampers had to prosecute him.

He was apparantly 10 minutes late for the expiration of his parking ticket and found the car was already clamped.

I also passed a couple of lads throwing the remains of a clamp over a wall a few days ago after they had cut through the lock,they drove off unconcerned.

I have since heard that there's nothing a clamper can do to stop you removing the clamp as its atatched to your property or something like that...can anybody clear this up? It might save some people a few quid.:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

AFAIK its perfectly legal to remove it yourself. You are paying the clamping company w@nkers a removal fee. However you can't damage it in the process or you can be done for criminal damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

SeaFields wrote: »
    AFAIK its perfectly legal to remove it yourself. You are paying the clamping company w@nkers a removal fee. However you can't damage it in the process or you can be done for criminal damage.

This.

Your buddy is a criminal now.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Pretty sure there was case where a (WIT?) student successfully sued the clamping authority of an educational institution for damage done to his car when he forcibly removed a clamp himself.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 809 ✭✭✭frankosw

Apparantly refusal to pay the release fee (ie removing the clamp) is a CIVIL matter as long as the clamp hasnt been damaged.

This means that the company must sue you for the release fee through the courts..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,524 ✭✭✭blue note

This.

And a legend!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

I hear clampers eat babies for breakfast and instead of having a mouth, they have four arses.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Not sure if it's legal to pick the lock - from a damage point of view.

Letting air out your tires is fine

or if you can find him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Jernal wrote: »
    Pretty sure there was case where a (WIT?) student sued the clamping authority of an educational institution for damage done to his car when he forcibly removed a clamp himself.
    Was he sucessfull?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

dvpower wrote: »
    Was he sucessfull?

Oh yeah sorry. Forgot to say that in my original post I think he was, but this is purely from memory. I might have everything wrong here. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

This.

No he is not. Not a criminal until he is convicted - which he wont be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,136 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

We got clamped outside Croker one evening after one of the lads who "mind yer car for ya" said it was alright to park there. In the process of paying to get the clamp removed, your man shows up and goes "ah heyur why didn't ya tell us ya were clamped. Ida gotta off for ya no problem".

Ever since then he always has a perfectly legal car space waiting for us for whenever Wexford are playing. All because "he has cussins down the country". :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

frankosw wrote: »
    Had a friend tell me that he used an angle grinder to cut a clamp off his car today

An angle grinder isn't sufficient. You need a con-saw to get it done quick enough....errrr... I hear! I also hear that if you get away clean, you never hear about it again....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Just had an idea to set up a clamp removing business. Charge a quarter of the clamp release fee.

"Because not every woman carries a con saw in her handbag"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭bigneacy

I don't think your new business would be at all be beneficial to your health.... jus' sayin'

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Just had an idea to set up a clamp related health business.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

We got clamped outside Croker one evening after one of the lads who "mind yer car for ya" said it was alright to park there. In the process of paying to get the clamp removed, your man shows up and goes "ah heyur why didn't ya tell us ya were clamped. Ida gotta off for ya no problem".

Ever since then he always has a perfectly legal car space waiting for us for whenever Wexford are playing. All because "he has cussins down the country". :D

Not anymore. I told you not to tell anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Gypsy Roman

Paid 120 euro shorly before moving down from Dublin for one to be removed from my car which was parked outside my front door,I had handed my parking permit back as I was moving out a few hours later at the clampers got me,I pissed all over the money and handed it over to the scum wearing rubber gloves,took the sting out of the hit,if Id of known it was legal for me to cut it off I would of done it without a moments hesitation. Heard a discussion on this very topic shortly after on the Adrian Kennedy Phone Show and it is ok to cut it off as long as long as u dont damage their kit,but fook that ill never pay a clamp fee again no way in hell,one thing that really grinds my gears.

Mr.S wrote: »
    to be fair, you didn't have a permit so you shouldn't have parked there.

Play by da rulez man.

To be fair, this was at 430 that I handed my permit to my landlord,was in the process of moving stuff down the stairs of my apartment to my car,which was parked at my front door of an apartment block id lived in for over 3 years. These people are vultures,lying in wait for any oppertunity for a few easy quid,I am all for people not taking advantage and see why parking fees are there etc,but when ur moving stuff down a stairs to ur car and within 2o minutes ur clamped that is a disgrace. These are the kind of people who slow down to view car crashes on the way by.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

If you cut it off it becomes as simple as "Prove I took it off myself." Maybe some do-gooder came along and removed it so I arrive back to my car with no clamp on it and know no better.

If you cut it off it becomes as simple as "Prove I took it off myself." Maybe some do-gooder came along and removed it so I arrive back to my car with no clamp on it and know no better.

:D Brilliant I like your style :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

I don't know the law, but I do know 'right and wrong'.

If you put something of *yours* like a 'clamp' and attach it to my car; that's your problem. I have not agreed to take care of your clamp. I'm not responsible for damages related to your clamp. And if your clamp interferes with the operation of my vehicle; I'm damn sure going to cut it off.

People should take bicycle locks and 'clamp' them onto the doors of these businesses and see how much care they take in safely removed the bicycle lock so that it remains in working order.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

I bareley remember, when they were introducing Clampers, they were doing the same at the same time in Paris..

Did everyone in Paris go around with a tube of Superglue and put it any clamps keyplace, that they saw. No matter if they knew the person or not?

No clamping in Paris..

I have vague recollections of that.. Off to google i go..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

There's a perfectly legal way around this. Have a sticker on your car in a visible place stating that any item attached to your car for any reason will be removed and destroyed. In addition the fine for attaching a clamp or similar immobilizing device is €10,000 removal cost plus any incurred costs and damage repair.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

The legality of some of the clampers operations is entirely questionable, for example there is a company running a public car park down in Smithfield next to the LUAS.

Nice €120 clamp release fee.

Thing is there is no planning permission from use as a public car park. And to date no enforcement from DCC.

So, is it legal for them to clamp on land that has no permission to operate as a car park in the first place? Angle grind away, they would be on interesting legal grounds were they to take you to court for that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

there is already a thread about this here

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭mhigh86

I wouldn't advise anyone to cut or damage any clamp that was put there by the council or clampers working for the council but private clamping companies on private land are a different story. lots of info on this in the motor forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Friend of mines brother removed a clamp today the same way as is shown in the video above. Worked a charm.

• Administrators Posts: 53,573 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

You cannot remove the local authority clamps, i.e. ones put on there by the council. You have to pay those ones.

Non local authority clamps can be removed so long as you don't damage the clamp.

Once you get it off, be sure to phone them to arrange collection of their property. Be sure to charge them a fee for storage too. :)

These private companies will not take you to court, because if they do and the ruling sides with you then a precedent has been set and their business disappears.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

I have a feeling this has been hashed out in the Motors and legal Forums ... anyway , has anybody noticed the distinct lack of swans in those clamper vans when they arrived.. just saying..

• Advertisement

Do a Dell Boy and put an out of order sign over the Pay Machiene ;)

Advertisement