Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Animals and you.

Options
  • 11-09-2012 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭

So do you have any pets? Do you like animals? Do you dislike animals, do spiders scare you?

Tell us about yourself and your animals (past and present)

I have had a few dogs, cats, birds and fish in my time I even had a pet mouse once. I think I am a dog person overall, but I do love animals. Unfortunately, circumstances currently prevent me from having a pet dog, but I do tend to make do with friend's pets.

My friends Noel and Pam for example have a lovely quiet little Jack Russell bitch that likes to curl up and sleep/rest/get fussed on my knee.

This picture if it works, is of me with my friend Mike's dog Kaos (GSD) and she is such a lovely obedient and gentle soul too.

100_049811.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Howdy cowboy! We used to have cats when I was a child. Since then, no pets. Am happy enough with friends' friendly dogs, but overall am not into animals. I've seen my friends going through some hard pet bereavements and decided I'd just look after my own couple of human pets!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Yes, losing a pet hurts badly, but so does losing a loved person, and that doesn't stop folk getting married. (Well maybe) I understand your feelings Jellybaby. But if circumstances were different I think I would still have at least two dogs. (Maybe even more)

I can't hack the poop scooping!

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    I can't hack the poop scooping!

Good point. You could try Poop flinging though.... you get a shovel and .... Well maybe not :pac:

I often go for long walks. I always get a feeling of absolute horror when I see someone walking their dog and carrying their little 'baggie' of 'poopie'. My friend got a dog when her family left home and she said it took a long time to get used to it but now its second nature to her (but first nature for the dog!) :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Mollywolly

I had a number of dogs and cats when I was a child (think there was a rabbit in there at some point too!).

Nowadays, there's just Molly. Although she's 11 now, she's still my baby and absolutely spoilt rotten - I've no kids you see :(

She's stubborn, snooty and downright gorgeous. Here she is:

IMG_0008.jpg

Oh, and as for the "poop" thing, I was mortified at first, but it's just something you get used to. I'm probably known around here as "yer wan with the red poo bags" :D But what do I care??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

This is my current gang, Bob the JRT is in my foster care from the DAWG shelter until he finds a permanent home, other two are my Tibetian Spaniels Muffin and Ruby.

Gorgeous George huh? He's a cutie alright and looks very much at home there.

Your two Tibetan Spaniels look almost as snooty as my Molly :) Lovely dogs though.

@Rubecula:

Your friend's GSD looks fabulous. I think they get too much bad press and people don't realise that they can be very friendly and playful.

My ex-next door neighbour had a rescue GSD, went by the name of Scruffy. She was very gentle, but could sometimes be a bit nervous around people. I can't imagine what she must have been through before some kind soul rescued her :(

I did briefly have a GSD myself, but only fostered it until a real home was found. I wish i could have kept him, he was loving, gentle and very very clever.

Perhaps when i retire .......

• Advertisement

I've told this story so many times, forgive me if I already have it here somewhere. True story. When my daughter was very young we found an injured kitten beside the road. We brought it to a local vet and they said they'd do what they could and we should call back. I knew the future wasn't bright but we headed back in the afternoon and my daughter was hoping it was going to be a new pet but the vet informed us kitty had departed this world and my daughter was very upset. The vet asked the name of our 'pet' and we explained we had just found kitty on the roadside. The vet then asked my darling daughter who was very tearful by now if she would like to give kitty a name. She nodded between sobs, and said 'Lucky'!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

I've told this story so many times, forgive me if I already have it here somewhere. True story. When my daughter was very young we found an injured kitten beside the road. We brought it to a local vet and they said they'd do what they could and we should call back. I knew the future wasn't bright but we headed back in the afternoon and my daughter was hoping it was going to be a new pet but the vet informed us kitty had departed this world and my daughter was very upset. The vet asked the name of our 'pet' and we explained we had just found kitty on the roadside. The vet then asked my darling daughter who was very tearful by now if she would like to give kitty a name. She nodded between sobs, and said 'Lucky'!

crying laughin

sorry

If you'd seen the look that passed between myself and the vet - it was hard to keep a straight face. My poor darling daughter, she's all grown up now but she'll kill me for telling. If you see this, love, sorry! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

We had two springer spaniels one of whom is still with us but my ex husband has her I get to see her and have her now and then, she is a total ejit of a dog for example she is afraid of any loud noise and hides when the Hoover is taken out, she is so lovable and almost looks human sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

As a kid I had white mice, a tortoise, a cat and goldfish. Was mad into animals and persuaded the parents to get me a dog. They brought me into town to the dogs home and we got a little dog from there. He was a little terrier and we spent many hours up the fields after school. In later years I've had a german shepherd and a black labrador both gone to their doggie heaven. Had a gorgeous siamese cat for 20 years Currently I have a great little dog who is mixed breed - got him from a girl who had 2 dogs and could only keep one of them. She rescued him as he had been badly abused, so I have had him for about 9 years now. Can't imagine ever being without a dog in my life. Animals are awesome :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭EZ24GET

Whenever my pets pass, all from getting on, I swear "no more" I can't go thru that again. Then someone says they have a litter that will end up at the dog pound or some kitten wanders up and chooses me and that's it I have a new pet. My little dog now is a terrier mix and he is so cunning and such a baby, I don't know what I'd do without him.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Lexicographer

After I found out my husband had been cheating on me (married 24 years, dating since 18), I decided I would get a pup to keep me company. In March, a beautiful pup came into our lives, he was a mongrel from a rescue centre. Cross between Collie and Lurcher, really mild mannered, not a barker, and very affectionate, needed lots of walking so got me out of the house. Unfortunately he had major problems that slowly came to light over the summer months. At the end of August I had to bite the bullet and do what was best for him, and I am bereft without him. People keep telling me to get another, and I know this sounds odd, I feel I would be letting him down.

He slept on my bed the night before I brought him to the vet for the last time, he was delighted, normally not allowed upstairs, he kept his paw on my shoulder all night, and when I moved he just moved with me. I was lucky to have him, as he was lucky to have me. I was heartbroken bringing him to the vet, but I would not have missed my time with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Orangepumpkin

As a dog owner I would highly recamend getting another one again from a rescue centre , ur not replacing him but giving a new home to another unwanted pup .. It's a pity we couldn't do the same abt husbands ! Good luck and let us know what u do xx

Heard on the RTE news last week DSPCA rescued 36 puppies which were in the boot of a car destined for the British pet market. They since rescued a couple more 'lots' of puppies and now they have 92 puppies needing homes. Not for me I'm afraid, but maybe others reading this might be interested. I chatted to three animal groups at the RDS yesterday and yes, a lot of heart breaking stories tugging at my heartstrings. :( If you like animals, now is a good time to contact any of the animal centres.

http://www.dspca.ie/cat_news_detail.jsp?itemID=3707

Heard on the RTE news last week DSPCA rescued 36 puppies which were in the boot of a car destined for the British pet market. They since rescued a couple more 'lots' of puppies and now they have 92 puppies needing homes. Not for me I'm afraid, but maybe others reading this might be interested. I chatted to three animal groups at the RDS yesterday and yes, a lot of heart breaking stories tugging at my heartstrings. :( If you like animals, now is a good time to contact any of the animal centres.

http://www.dspca.ie/cat_news_detail.jsp?itemID=3707

I wish I could give a home to one of them. It tears me up not being able to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,194 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I know there are people who are just 'animal' people and have all sorts, but most of the pet-keeping population seems to be either dog people or cat people, and not a whole lot of interest or sympathy for the opposite clan.

Have to confess at this stage I am a cat person, we have always had a cat since we set up home here - though that only amounts to two in 33 years - now we have two who live inside, outside, wherever they want. There was a dog in the household when we were growing up, and my sister is a dog person, I cannot figure out why I have no enthusiasm for dogs but I like cats!

Even with all the heart wrenching stories I listened to, I still can't bring myself to take one on. I feel rotten about it but I can't start now.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Grandad Himself

For thirteen years we had a long-haired collie. We have always had dogs but she was The Dog if you know what I mean. She was the most wonderful dog I ever had the privilege to know. Then I was told she had cancer and had five months to go. Probably the hardest five months of my life.

At the risk of a bit of self promotion, I wrote about her here.

We have a Lurcher Cross now that was rescued. She is the fastest laziest dog in the world [I have heard them called 40mph Couch Potatoes and that is a perfect description]. She is terribly affectionate and very funny. She will never replace our collie, but I couldn't be without her now.

What a love story Grandad! Thanks for sharing.

With me it was Shep who was "The Dog" as Grandad says. A mongrel, his mother belonged to my Aunty and she was 'got at' by an unknown male dog. Anyway we got him when I was in my teens and he was always my dog. Yes the rest of the family loved him too and he did look up to my mum, but it was me he always came to for comfort or play. I left home and was away working for long periods of time, but the first face to greet me when I visited my parents was always Shep. I went to university later in life as a mature student. It was during my finals that we lost Shep. Mum and sisters carried him to the vet in a big blanket. I wasn't there for him at the end, and that hurt the most. But on the plus side he was nearly 19 years old when he passed, not bad for a little scruff. I have his photo on the wall above my front door so I can say "goodbye" to him everytime I leave the house. A bit sentimental I suppose maybe even a little bit mad. But there was only one Shep.

ah, between you and Grandad, Rubecula I'm going through the Kleenex like no tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Grandad Himself

I'm told I often have that effect on people. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭GRMA

When I was a teenager I begged my mam to get me a dog, I mean begged! She never liked dogs but always said if she gave up work she'd get me one... never thinking she would give up work. But she was made redundant and after a year of nagging she finally said she get me one to shut me up... but with a whole host of conditions, I had to walk/clean/feed it, it had to stay outside etc and when I moved out take her with me. Five or six years later I moved out for college and announced, as instructed, that I'd be taking the dog... mam thought I was serious and got really upset, was more upset at the idea of the dog moving out than me!

It's a shame dogs aren't like Donkeys, and live for a very long time.

EZ24GET wrote: »
    ah, between you and Grandad, Rubecula I'm going through the Kleenex like no tomorrow.

Should I change my name to "Onion"? :D

• Advertisement

oh you.:)

Just remembering every pet that has gone before me. They all were special. Cats dogs, rabbits, guinea pigs Pets are so forgiving and love you always. Step on their foot and they come right back nuzzling your hand. Brave little things trying to save you from the world. Even the cats alerting you to danger. Here I go again. :o

Advertisement