Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best non gaming laptop?

Options
  • 22-09-2012 2:42pm

I'm looking for recommendations for a laptop solely for browsing and media. I would like a 17inch screen so basically a desktop replacement. I don't play games at all so can live without a high end graphics card. All the recommended DTRs I've seen are gaming machines unfortunately. Can someone recommend me something please? Thank you! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

17.3" Lenny, Core i7-3612QM, 8 GB RAM, 1 TB HDD, Bluray Combo, €906 at LD

The GPU is a GT 630M, certainly not gaming graphics. Solid Multimedia machine.

Looks good! Affordable too. Thanks for taking the time to reply! :)

This one is even more affordable:

17.3" Tosh, Core i7 3610QM, 4 GB RAM, HD 7670M, 500 GB HDD, €799 at komplett.

Processor is a bit faster, ditto the GPU, but less memory (easy and cheap enough to upgrade) and no Bluray.

Thanks again! :D Decisions decisions! Last I heard though komplett customer service had gone to hell. I couldn't live with only a 500gb hd.

Thanks again! :D Decisions decisions! Last I heard though komplett customer service had gone to hell. I couldn't live with only a 500gb hd.

Well, HDD and RAM are easy enough to upgrade, not so the CPU and GPU.

The 3612QM (max 35W TDP) is a low power processor and a fair bit slower than the 3610QM (max 45W TDP), power efficiency and battery drain shouldn't be much of an issue with a DTR.

• Advertisement

Same Lenny as above, a lot cheaper at SOL, ~ €795 incl delivery (if you can apply for cashback).

I think that's wrong....the Lenovo website says the cashback for the G780 is until the 16th Sept. The cashback offer for the G580 runs until the 30th. If I had posted a week earlier I could have saved myself over €100!

By the way is the screen resolution of 1366x768 poor for a 17inch?

By the way is the screen resolution of 1366x768 poor for a 17inch?

Must be a mistake, min resolution for 17" laptops these days is 1600x900

You're talking about a G580, which is a 15" laptop, 1366x768 is normal there.

I wish I were wrong (which is usually the case). Both LD & SOL say the G780 has 1366x768.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

and there is also 17 Dell laptop

http://configure.euro.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=n0017r39&model_id=inspiron-17r-5720&c=ie&l=en&s=dhs&cs=iedhs1

No dedicated GPU, comes with a printer

and

Use Voucher Code RR6QMVMM7F8T1T during checkout to get 10% off everything at Dell.

Expires 23 September 2012

• Advertisement

I wish I were wrong (which is usually the case). Both LD & SOL say the G780 has 1366x768.

Don't find anything at LD, but at Lenovo. I have never seen a 17" laptop with 1366x768.

What would you guys opinion of this be please? There's a cashback offer for it too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

Id think about getting a 15 inch. 17 inch is far too big for a laptop if you want to bring it anywhere or have it on your lap. Anyone I know hates it. You can buy a monitor to hook it up to laptop and a wireless mouse and keyboard. Just my advice!

I've had a Dell Studio 17 for the last three years and love it! :D

What would you guys opinion of this be please? There's a cashback offer for it too.

Only a 2nd gen Core i7. When you spend so much money, you want the latest.

True but it has a second drive bay which many people have used for a SSD. This appeals to me having never used one before. Like to see how fast it could go.

True but it has a second drive bay which many people have used for a SSD.

€940? If it's a 2nd HDD bay you want, you can always configure your own Schenker XMG A702 for that money:

17.3" 1600x900 (add €30 for full HD if you want), Core i7 3610QM, 8 GB RAM, GT 650M (unfortunately this GPU allows for some serious gaming ;) ), 750 GB HDD, UK keyboard, 947 yoyos (sans OS).

A no brainer really.

I've had a Dell Studio 17 for the last three years and love it! :D

Believe me, the Dell Inspiron 17 R is nothing like the old Dell Studio 17.

Bloody hell it's all so confusing....I'd be lost without you Torqay mate! I don't know how you do it. I'm still on that German site with the Schenker. I'll probably reply again in about two hours when I've fully digested it all. Thanks again for sticking with me mate! :)

I'm still on that German site with the Schenker. I'll probably reply again in about two hours when I've fully digested it all.

They also have a UK website, prices may be different.

• Advertisement

It seems the UK site is cheaper than the German one. I notice there was no drop down menu for a battery..they do come with a battery don't they? Have to I suppose. Do you think I should add the 256GB SSD or buy it somewhere else?

Thanks again for all the help.....

Do you think I should add the 256GB SSD or buy it somewhere else?

Buy elsewhere, it's cheaper. ;)

Do you think so? I see there's a Samsung 256GB on Amazon for €185 while Schenker would charge around €205. Probably not worth the extra hassle for €20? Good morning by the way! :)

It seems the UK site is cheaper than the German one. I notice there was no drop down menu for a battery..they do come with a battery don't they?

I'd say so. ;)
    Along with the new 3rd gen. Intel® Core processors provides the XMG A702 with up to 5 hours of battery power for all gaming, business and multimedia applications.

Do you think so? I see there's a Samsung 256GB on Amazon for €185 while Schenker would charge around €205. Probably not worth the extra hassle for €20? Good morning by the way! :)

Top of the morning to you. ;)

256GB Samsung for €180 at komplett.

I did some searching and I'm going to take your advice and install Windows 8 RTM on the Schenker when it arrives. Pity it can't be activated after the 90 days though. I also see a post by you saying Windows 8 Pro will be around €50 as a promotional offer until January....nice!

Mary Jo Foley has the latest rumors re Windows 8 pricing.

Oh bugger it's only the upgrade that is €50...think I'll hold off and order the Schenker after Windows 8 is released then.

Oh bugger it's only the upgrade that is €50...think I'll hold off and order the Schenker after Windows 8 is released then.

I believe you can still buy the OS cheaper aftermarket, whether it's Windows 7 or 8.

• Advertisement

Yes I suppose so. If I install the Windows 8 RTM at least I can see whether it's another Vista before purchasing. You know I can't find a single review of the A702 anywhere! All the links are German but even they seem to be only informational.

Advertisement