Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Would ya not just leave, like?"

Options
  • 22-09-2012 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭

Apologies to Mods if this is the wrong forum, if so; please move.

Is it just me ... or have the local employment centres (FAS), social welfare offices and others decided to start advocating emigration?

I'm just back in the country; and setting about getting myself up-skilled and taking the self-employment route. I've signed up for a few courses with my local VEC and Enterprise Board, and keeping myself busy; but in practically everyplace I've gone for advice ...

"Ah shure, a young lad like yourself, would you not be better of travelling/in Oz."
    "I'd recommend speaking to a EURES advisor."
    "Emigration is so much easier now than in my day, what with Ryanair ..."

And signing on for a temporary assistance (not JB), met with the same, "But why did you come home? My nephew is in Canada and there's plenty of work for Irish lads ..."

I'm home, I want to live and work in my own country after a good few years abroad. Didn't particularly want to go in the first place, but that's another story.

Do other nationality's get these not so subtle hints also when looking for assistance? Is this some deep rooted part of the Irish psyche, or am I talking to the wrong people?

Thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

Maybe its just you op.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Tell him to pi$$ off to Oz if it's so great then, and you can have his job.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭girl2

I see where you're coming from…but a lot of people want to get outta here as quickly as they can…so maybe all these people advising are so used to hearing these sentiments that theyre doing their best to accommodatin people in this mindset??

(hope it all goes well for ya)

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭IrishExpat

cloptrop wrote: »
    Maybe its just you op.

Sure a good-looking young buck like myself, they should be doing their best to keep me.

;)

joke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

These places love to pawn you off to other places or organisations. Theyd love nothing more than have nobody there so they can chat on the phone to their mates all day . Stick at them and push for the course you want . Youll get it .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

You should have told him that you want to stay around and work to contribute to his gold plated pension

In a way fair play to them, at least they're being honest. When I went into FAS a few years back after dropping out of college they told me to go back to college that I'd be wasting my time with the courses they could offer and I admired the honesty.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,980 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

IrishExpat wrote: »
    Apologies to Mods if this is the wrong forum, if so; please move.

Is it just me ... or have the local employment centres (FAS), social welfare offices and others decided to start advocating emigration?

I'm just back in the country; and setting about getting myself up-skilled and taking the self-employment route. I've signed up for a few courses with my local VEC and Enterprise Board, and keeping myself busy; but in practically everyplace I've gone for advice ...

"Ah shure, a young lad like yourself, would you not be better of travelling/in Oz."
    "I'd recommend speaking to a EURES advisor."
    "Emigration is so much easier now than in my day, what with Ryanair ..."

And signing on for a temporary assistance (not JB), met with the same, "But why did you come home? My nephew is in Canada and there's plenty of work for Irish lads ..."

I'm home, I want to live and work in my own country after a good few years abroad. Didn't particularly want to go in the first place, but that's another story.

Do other nationality's get these not so subtle hints also when looking for assistance? Is this some deep rooted part of the Irish psyche, or am I talking to the wrong people?

Thoughts?

Their "deciding to start advocating emigration" isn't a recent thing, and has been unwritten Irish government policy since Independence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

If you emigrate, you go off the live register. They love that!

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Triangular

They care more for the statistics then then people that make them.

• Advertisement

..and the politicians start spouting on about the drop in the unemployment figures and how they're doing a great job with all the new jobs found, but they don't own up to those "new" jobs being 12000 miles away. The bull-sh1tting feckers!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Yes, probably the most important point. the more that emigrate the better the unemployment figures look for the government. they will even claim it to be a success (real facts hidden of course).
    And the w##k#r in FAS knows that there is a less likely chance that his job and pension will suffer future cuts.
    Sickening,cycnical, but true........:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Their "deciding to start advocating emigration" isn't a recent thing, and has been unwritten Irish government policy since Independence.

FAS or ANCO as they were in the 80's got me and my mates to a "meeting" in the FAS office in bray - they offered us a "grant" for migration to England , gave us maps of London , hostel address and suggested job types and names of employers ( but with no official contact with said company's )

we were all only 17 - they had us on some Micky mouse building course

so in essence they were willing to fling a group of 17 year old's at the mercy of London just to clean up the figures :mad:

nothing has changed - they really just dont give a **** and never have IMO

the "grant " 90 Punts - SCABBY BA"TARDS :mad:

dj jarvis wrote: »
    FAS or ANCO as they were in the 80's got a group of me and my mates to a "meeting" in the FAS office in bray - they offered us a "grant" for migration to England , gave us maps of London , hostel address and suggested job types and names of employers ( but with no official contact with said company's )

we were all only 17 - they had us on some Micky mouse building course

so in essence they were willing to fling a group of 17 year old's at the mercy of London just to clean up the figures :mad:

nothing has changed - they really just dont give a **** and never have IMO

the "grant " 90 Punts - SCABBY BA"TARDS :mad:

"Sh1t at creating jobs, brilliant at increasing emigration" should be Ireland's motto.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

IrishExpat wrote: »

Are they wrong to suggest there are alternatives to being stuck in Ireland with no job?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Ahh levverrrrr ouuuu

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭IrishExpat

steve9859 wrote: »
    Are they wrong to suggest there are alternatives to being stuck in Ireland with no job?

"I came back home to raise crops, and God willing, a family."
    :)

Maybe I came home too early, but in fairness the sooner I get a 'tiny' bit of help from someone to get out on my own ... I'm not asking anyone to move mountains, just to find a mere 300-500 euro out of the billions they've thrown away, but I've half raised it by now anyway.

I'm being met with obstacles - FAS local office, you have to be in receipt of social welfare before we can even give you 15 minutes of advice. I do not want to sign on, I'd be happier setting up a small business, and all going well create a job or three.

I've just paid for my ECDL, VEC FETAC course and renewed my Safe Pass out of my own pocket. That's my personal up-skilling budget gone. But that's not my issue ... it's being met with these emigration comments that get me. I emigrated in at the end of '09, which saved them some money over a three year period. Now I'm back and starting to get angry.

Am I over-reacting?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,568 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

When you do get a job and receive your first pay cheque it will then dawn on you exactly what they meant.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

What FÁS really means is: get educated here, then feck off and get some work experience (because those internships need someone with 5 years experience after all), then you can work in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Sir Pompous Righteousness

I'm going job hunting in Narnia in January, got me work visa sorted and everything, can't wait. Was in Emerald City in Oz between April and July but there was feck all there. Hope I might have better luck in Narnia.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Is there really any point in staying in Ireland anyway? I say we all emigrate and set the entire island on fire. It's the only way. I plan to stay here during college and then leave as soon as the opportunity arises.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Is there really any point in staying in Ireland anyway? I say we all emigrate and set the entire island on fire. It's the only way. I plan to stay here during college and then leave as soon as the opportunity arises.

Jesus, NegativeArsonist.
    I'm going job hunting in Narnia in January, got me work visa sorted and everything, can't wait. Was in Emerald City in Oz between April and July but there was feck all there. Hope I might have better luck in Narnia.

Is Aslan still about there? And Emerald City, how's the Wizard doing? Or is he dead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Imagine if no Irish person ever emigrated. Ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Or if everyone came back for one day. We could turn it into a national holiday and have one big mad session..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Sir Pompous Righteousness

Where To wrote: »
    We'd probably have a population near to that of Germany and a population density near to that of Japan.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

tell them you're scared of airplanes and foreign people

Where To wrote: »

The place would survive on cannibalism and fish as there wouldn't be a spare bit of land to grow anything on. There would be huge imports of chianti and fava beans.:(

I wonder if Irish people are the only ones being told they're better off leaving Ireland, or is it anyone who enters their offices.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Abi wrote: »
    I wonder if Irish people are the only ones being told they're better off leaving Ireland, or is it anyone who enters their offices.

I can see that being a bad idea.
    *Polish man enters*
    I'm looking for some advice about getting a job
    Why don't you feck off out of here and back to yer own country

• Advertisement

I can see that being a bad idea.
    *Polish man enters*
    I'm looking for some advice about getting a job
    Why don't you feck off out of here and back to yer own country

My point exactly.

Edit: I better add to this, because you've to be very specific about what you mean on these matters. I don't mean for the agencies to suggest the non-nationals to 'go home', I mean would they also advise them to go live in other countries.

Advertisement