Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to wear to a Dunnes/Tesco retail job interview

Options
  • 12-11-2011 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

I really on't know what I should wear to an interview that I have for Dunnes Stores and another one for Tesco - both of which are just retail stock jobs. I don't want to show up too underdressed (which I would assume would be jeans and a t-shirt). But I also don't want to show up overdressed (full on suit?) and look a tit. I was thinking of wearing a striped button shirt, slacks and black shoes. Any tips anyone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Marcin_diy

Chett wrote: »
    I really on't know what I should wear to an interview that I have for Dunnes Stores and another one for Tesco - both of which are just retail stock jobs. I don't want to show up too underdressed (which I would assume would be jeans and a t-shirt). But I also don't want to show up overdressed (full on suit?) and look a tit. I was thinking of wearing a striped button shirt, slacks and black shoes. Any tips anyone?

Few years ago i applied for a position in currys temp christmas job to unpack boxes on shelves. At the time of interview there were about 20 people -half were Irish other half immigrants. Only 2 of us - one Irish and me were dressed in full suits. All other had runners etc.

Guess who got the job?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Chett wrote: »

I think you're probably spot on there, stretching to a tie mightn't be a bad idea. Definitely not a full on suit or jeans. Slacks, nice shirt and shoes can't really go wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭dr.quirky

Once you realise that a fancy full suit,top hat and monocle is overkill, I really don't believe it's possible to over dress for a job interview.
    Worst case scenario, you wear a simple shirt, nice slacks, dress shoes, modest suit jacket and carry a jewel em blazed cane with flashing leds carry yourself in a way that says "im professional and want this job" instead of " I'm a pompous twat that thinks because i wear a suit i deserve the job I'm applying for" , you are always going to be looked at in a positive light by the interviewer.

Its just my way of looking at it but I think, if your unsure especially, to be thought of as trying too hard by interviewer leaves you in a far better position than if interviewer thinks your haven't tried at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Do.not.wear.suit. Seriously.

I've worked in Dunnes for years, two branches, and seeing people come in for interviews in suits- they stand out a mile. Now jeans etc. aren't what you should be wearing either. Trousers, shoes, shirt. Maybe a tie if you wanted, but not neccessary. I have seen people wearing cords etc. and girls wearing skinny jeans and it doesn't hold them back, but best to make a better impression.

Dunnes interview won't be too taxing. Usually you need to talk about yourself- college or whatever, past job experience if applicable, describe a time you gave/received good customer service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

i wore trackie bottoms and a nike air max hoodie for a dunnes interview and got a job

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Chett

Cheers for all the replies! So one guy wore a full-on suit and another wore trackie bottoms...and both got the job. I think I'll go with the general concensus and dress somewhere in the middle.
    Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,350 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

buy clothes in dunnes and wear them with the tags on...they will love you and employ you

• Registered Users Posts: 15,488 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

And with Callaway92's suggestion, after the interview you can simply bring the clothes back for a refund.

Its a win/win situation

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭pbowenroe

any more opinions on this, i've an interview at 3 for a checkout job. suit or no suit?

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭jinxremoving

shirt and trousers, nice shoes. suit would be a bit ott imo.

• Advertisement

isn't shirt and trousers just a suit without the jacket?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭jinxremoving

the removed jacket and tie makes it less formal but still smart and professional. i doubt they'll discount you if you turn up in a full suit though. best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Jinbakrdi

Dress smartly. A nice shirt with black trousers and clean black shoes should do the trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Get Real

If you wore a full suit, its not going to go against you.

Imagine though you didnt get the job, and someone did just as good an interview as you... but they made the effort to wear a suit and got the job...how much would you regret not wearing one then?

thanks for the answers

does it make a difference that it's for an entry level position/job a monkey could do?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

pbowenroe wrote: »
    thanks for the answers

does it make a difference that it's for an entry level position/job a monkey could do?

As a former retail manager who used to interview people;
    The person who impressed me the most was the one who really wanted the job. Whilst a suit may technically be an overkill, your chances will certainly not be harmed. At a minimum, clean pressed trousers, pressed shirt and tie, clean shoes, groomed and shaved (if male), jewellery to a minimum.

I once had a young lad in looking for a job, was wearing dirty trackies and runners, chewed gum, and was carrying a football which he bounced up and down as I explained to him that we were not hiring at that time!

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Get Real

thanks for the answers

No not at all, an employer still wants the best of the best to do a job.

Doesnt matter what kind of job it is, as a business, why wouldnt you want to optimise your workforce efficiency?

Dont be so fast to dismiss wearing a suit because its entry level ;), these days you have qualified solicitors, graduate teachers and doctors applying...i know of a few...so thats your competition!

ok, thanks all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

callaway92 wrote: »
    buy clothes in dunnes and wear them with the tags on...they will love you and employ you

They might reject you for looking like a skanger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

gman2k wrote: »
    As a former retail manager who used to interview people;
    The person who impressed me the most was the one who really wanted the job. Whilst a suit may technically be an overkill, your chances will certainly not be harmed. At a minimum, clean pressed trousers, pressed shirt and tie, clean shoes, groomed and shaved (if male), jewellery to a minimum.

I once had a young lad in looking for a job, was wearing dirty trackies and runners, chewed gum, and was carrying a football which he bounced up and down as I explained to him that we were not hiring at that time!

Retailers (I was one myself!) are especially picky when it comes to this. People have to remember retails in the detail. You'd (well not you but people :D) would be amazed at the kind of thing retail managers would spot.

• Advertisement

thanks for the answers

You want to be very careful that attitude doesn't come across in the interview. I went form till monkey to earning over 60K a year before I left to do a job that won't pay me for years! :D Most retail managers would be very careful not to employ people who think they are too good to do the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭confuseddotcom

I actually have worked in Dunnes in the past and I was going for a job there a second time round, this is a good few years back now, and what did I wear?? Yip you've guessed it, a suit!!! What possessed me to wear a suit to a Dunnes Interview I'll never know...... She spent the whole entire time asking me would I be okay with taking orders to go and arrange and display the shoe-stands etc. and things like that lol!! :D:D She kept asking me am I sure am I sure I would lol!! I couldn't get a word in edgeways despite my best efforts because once she obviously had her mind made up that she was convinced that I thought I was too good for the job, well there was no telling her other-wise once she had her mind made up about me! :/:(

Another time I went for a job for Trainee manager in Tescos, talk of doing a College course for the Role came up and I was quite excited about that partly because I'd be doing a Course and partly because I'd get to train as well. There was a girl and a fella there interviewing me quite possibly younger than myself lol :rolleyes: But one just looked to the other, and I just caught the look. Sadly I think they mis-read my excitement and enthusiasm about it all as that I was "made up" that it'd be a pure doss that it I'd be in college most of the time and would be allowed to get off work for it. But I reckon they mis-understood me. I was looking forward to doing the job and any associated training it wasn't that I was looking forward to dossing off work or anything like that at all..... :/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Dunnes are a conservative company generally and a trousers/shirt/tie combo is a must. I know somebody said they got the job wearing trackies and runners, but in general that would be frowned upon by HR people.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

You want to be very careful that attitude doesn't come across in the interview. I went form till monkey to earning over 60K a year before I left to do a job that won't pay me for years! :D Most retail managers would be very careful not to employ people who think they are too good to do the job.

I can tell a similar story myself (Not as much cash though!). Though I always had a vague air of contempt for my past job in store, I could never get over that. Anyways, just thought I'd point out that pervasively negative attitudes can get you somewhere as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

callaway92 wrote: »

Plus you can get a refund on the way out.

Don't forget to claim staff discount.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭doledude86

Plus you can get a refund on the way out.

Don't forget to claim staff discount.

Staff discount in Dunnes!! U having a laugh haha

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭saiint

i turned up for smyths toystore in tracksuit and runners
    didnt care at the time, got the job
    even while working their i never wore the proper uniform haha still worked ,got paid

but alas no reference was given ha
    but go casual
    i would, slacks, shirt, and a nice jacket
    a suit would be abit much unless you were going for a managers position
    its a new age
    HR dont expect teenagers now a days to show up in suits for minimum wage to which the job is crappy, and i dont care what their site says , their is no career movement haha youd have to work the same job for 30 years before you actually start moving up

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Jumbo156

As someone who has been around the block, here is my take on it:

It doesn't matter what the job is, you should treat all jobs as the same.
    It is true that interviewers make their mind up in the first 20 seconds if a person is suitable, not if they will get the job but if they are suitable.
    First is appearance, second is the handshake and third is the eye contact.

You should always were a suit when going for an interview, what is wrong with wearing a tie, no employer is looking for someone cool, they want someone who can do the job, and can be bothered making an effort for the interview

You will always hear about "cool people" who couldn't be arsed dressing up and got the job, you will never hear about the people who did just that and their cvs were thrown in the bin when they arrived in the door.

Trust me, no HR manager will ever think badly of someone who made an effort for an interview.

Many threads have used the term HR manager. In the vast majority of retail interviews you'll never see a HR manager - it will be a member of store management. Bear this in mind - its the main reason you'll see differences in hiring policies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 yellowlor

Hi just wondering what would a girl wear to an interview in Dunnes? :D thanks

Advertisement