Advertisement
Help Keep Boards Alive. Support us by going ad free today. See here: https://subscriptions.boards.ie/.
https://www.boards.ie/group/1878-subscribers-forum

Private Group for paid up members of Boards.ie. Join the club.
Hi all, please see this major site announcement: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058427594/boards-ie-2026

People interfering where they shouldn't?

  • 16-09-2012 05:52PM
    #1
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭


    Seems all the good Niall Mellon does in South Africa the ANC don't wan't any more. This from the Irish Times:

    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/front/2012/0915/1224324049916.html?cmpid=morning-digest&utm_source=morning-digest&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=digests

    And the following taken from the Cape Times. A Friend living there emailed it to me, but the article couldn't be copied to conclusion as they are not subscribing to the paper online:

    Top Irish housing developer in court battle over ‘earmarked’ charity millions

    ZoomBookmarkSharePrintListenTranslate

    IRISHMAN Niall Mellon’s highly publicised SA housing project is at the centre of a local court clash.

    In papers filed at the Western Cape High Court, the Mellon Housing Initiative’s (MHI) executive director, James Maasch, claims that Mellon is trying to pull R80 million in what he alleges is mostly public money from the company – some of which was earmarked for low-cost housing in SA townships – and divert it to build houses in Brazzaville in the Congo.

    But Mellon has denied this in an affidavit, describing the allegations as a “red herring”.

    At the heart of the matter is a struggle over control of MHI’s board of directors. The MHI and one of its members, Mossel Bay-based Nolan Marsh, have dragged Mellon and six other members of the company to court on an urgent basis to stop a meeting, the aim of which was to discuss governance issues, including the appointment and removal of directors.

    The meeting was scheduled to take place last Tuesday. However, attorney Rael Gootkin, representing Mellon, said it had been postponed.

    The Niall Mellon Township Trust is renowned for its building blitzes, bringing out Irish volunteers every November to help build houses in poor areas.

    But according to Maasch, Mellon had decided to “exit from South Africa” and look for “new frontiers”.

    He said MHI had built up its R80m reserves through government subsidies. Every time it built a house, it received a part of the


Comments

  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin


    I've read the linked article and your post, and I don't see where the ANC is mentioned, saved by you. According to Niall Mellon, its no longer needed due to an increase in housing subsidies.


Advertisement
Advertisement