Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best way about getting a job in the merchant navy

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Join the Navy, then retire to a civvy job driving tugs and workboats for the harbour boards..

Toft was a legend alright. Once in his class I exclaimed, completely exasperated, "Sir, I just don't understand what you are talking about"

Toft: "Well I just don't understand how you don't understand what I'm talking about....ok class, moving on"...

An absolute gent all the same.

The man is enjoyin his retirement in Very Good health I'm happy to report.
    I can safely say I remember nothing I learnt(or failed to learn) in class from him, but did helm Cill Airne under him and saw a totally different and interesting man.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭hytrogen

Join the Navy, then retire to a civvy job driving tugs and workboats for the harbour boards..
    that's IF you're part of the Cob-H mafia :P

hytrogen wrote: »
    that's IF you're part of the Cob-H mafia :P

You mean mavia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

How many years study after the BSc in Nautical Science does it take to get to Captain?

And has anyone here gone through the Nautical Science course in the last few years? If so, could you pm me?

I have some questions that I'd rather not ask on an open board.

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

The man is enjoyin his retirement in Very Good health I'm happy to report.
    I can safely say I remember nothing I learnt(or failed to learn) in class from him, but did helm Cill Airne under him and saw a totally different and interesting man.

Really enjoyed the guy - had him for GSK back in 95.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Brinimartini

323 wrote: »
    Hearing there is big demand for ETO's at the moment, by the sound of it that demand is expected to increase.
    Just did a search, available in Cork, but as "getz" mentioned, I believe anyone interested should defiantly consider UK college.

Why....does this mean there are no deckhands or galleyboys or chefs or radio officers in the merchant navy anymore.
    Back in '72 all I did was call into Irish Shipping on the quays with no qualifications and within two weeks I was a galleyboy heading for Vancouver.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 105 ✭✭elhal

Times have seriously changed from them days thats for sure!!!

Why....does this mean there are no deckhands or galleyboys or chefs or radio officers in the merchant navy anymore.
    Back in '72 all I did was call into Irish Shipping on the quays with no qualifications and within two weeks I was a galleyboy heading for Vancouver.

Galleyboy? Not unless its a passenger ship
    Deckhand? All must have EDH minimum before they'll even be let up a gangplank, not to mention all the other safety and survival quals.
    Chef: Depends on the ship, but he's trained as a chef first(for a change)
    Radio Officers: Gone. Its all DSC now, and most deck officers have a VHF ticket too

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

Deckhand? All must have EDH minimum before they'll even be let up a gangplank, not to mention all the other safety and survival quals.
    Radio Officers: Gone. Its all DSC now, and most deck officers have a VHF ticket too
    in the old british merchant navy,all catering staff started as boy ratings,and at 16 or 17 had to go to merchant navy training schools,either gravesend or sharpness.has that all gone away ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

You have to have your GMDSS ticket now to sail as a deck officer. Its a prerequisite

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭IrishExpat

Its pretty tough alright. I am at the end of the road now on the deck officer route and I can assure you that takes commitment.

Could you possibly fill me in more on this?

Academics-wise; what subjects (from LC) would you need to be strong in before going this route?

I´m strongly considering coming home just enrol in a course, and I have nothing but time to kill here to start early. I´m landlocked in Hungary for the time being. :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 105 ✭✭elhal

Id advise having decent math and maybe a little physics to help you through first year! I think the main thing is a decent bit of maths.

I'd have to say that a very good maths and physics background is mandatory for a potential deck officer. I still have night sweats about spherical trigonometry.
    Is it as much a priority for those going the Near Continental route though?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Spherical trigonometry? what do you mean there's more than 180degrees in a triangle?! :eek:

I'd say you need to be good at maths and be familiar with LC physics as it's much of the same stuff that shows up again.
    Is it as much a priority for those going the Near Continental route though?

I think pretty much whatever trade or route your doing, you will never use any of the stuff you learned in those classes again. Electronic navigation has put paid to all that stuff realistically.

In retrospect, more time on ship handling theory and simulator (even small boat practice) would have been far more useful. Plus a bit of explanation of what the engineers do besides drink tea in the control room. :D

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Plus a bit of explanation of what the engineers do besides drink tea in the control room. :D

It becomes clear after a short while. Find new sources for dodgy p0rn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Bligh wrote: »
    I have heard recently that a new ETO course was starting up in NMCI, it's been a few years since I was in the college has anyone heard about this? I believe ETOs are in demand for many types of ships and offshore vessels.

http://www.nmci.ie/contentfiles/CIT%20brochures/CR%20805.pdf.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭jamesdiver

that looks like an interesting course. Any further info on what is covered in year 2 and 3?

Would it be a good way to get into the oil and gas exploration industry...with all the technology used in these surveys?

Have come across a good few electronics guys in my own field....they always seem to get the best internet connections at sea :)

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Brinimartini

No, I was a galleyboy on a merchant ship, a bulk carrier called The Irish Stardust.

No, I was a galleyboy on a merchant ship, a bulk carrier called The Irish Stardust.

I accept that, but merchant ships don't carry them this side of the world any more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭323

jamesdiver wrote: »
    that looks like an interesting course. Any further info on what is covered in year 2 and 3?

Would it be a good way to get into the oil and gas exploration industry...with all the technology used in these surveys?

Have come across a good few electronics guys in my own field....they always seem to get the best internet connections at sea :)

Yes, first year looks to have the right basics, if continues on like this would indeed have the right skills for a start in the survey and/or ROV outfits supporting the oil/gas and subsea cable business', also pay considerably better than ETO positions.
    These are desperate for people at the moment.

Although would be interesting to see whats covered in years 2 & 3.

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

So, you´ll no doubt see from my posts that I don´t know much about this industry (yet), aside from the info I find from Google and replies I´m waiting for, from a few shipping companies ...

But, can I assume that the day of turning up at a port, looking for the shipping office and simply presenting yourself for work are long gone?

What would I need in order to apply for work on a container ship (from Ireland)?
    Certificates, medicals ...? I am willing to work for a very low starter wage, up to a year - to see if it really is for me, and then go the college route.

I´ve been talking to former students from NMCI and other UK based institutes (thanks to LinkdIn) and I´m finding a common thread in terms of the drop-out rates from Nautical Engineering/Science courses ... which in some cases happen as the students complete their two years of classroom based study, and once they have their spell at sea (usually in year 3), they decide that it´s not for them.

I dropped out a course before (at age 19. I´m 24 now) and I do ´not´ want a repeat of this. Simply put, I chose a course, any course - based on what I thought I would get in the LC points, with ´zero´ prior research. For this reason, I want to do it right this time around.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

You need to talk to the guys in NMCI, Viv Gough used to be the man in the know, but he has probably retired at this stage.

Be aware that working as a simple sailor is very, very, different to the life of an officer (deck or engine). IMHO, you would be better off doing the year at college, then going to sea as a cadet in the second year and seeing how the life suits you then. I understand the UK colleges operate a different format whereby you go to see for your first trip a lot earlier and this may be worth looking into also.

I had one job interview with an agency originally and after that it was either apply straight to the company and get joining instructions or word of mouth and a kind word from an existing senior officer opens many doors also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

I completed the Higher Certificate in Science in Nautical Studies back in the 90's and got to sea that way. I think I spent 8 weeks in the RTC and then off for my 12 months sea time. This suited me as I wanted to get on a ship as soon as I could, to see if the job suited me, it did and I enjoyed the 8 or so years that I spent away - until I met my Wife, which ruined everything!!

The course still runs, and that would be my advice about getting away on ships. Tabnabs is right about the best way to go, doing the Cert first is really the long way around about getting a Deck officer position. However, at least 3 of my buddies who did the cert with me are all skippers now, varying levels of tickets. One got his Master Mariners a few years ago - this is a long way around the houses. Although if you are happy to stay on the coast the level of ticket you need to be the Master is a lot less.

Training opportunities in Ireland.
    The programmes

In Ireland, both deck officer and engineering officer trainees study for Bachelor of Science (BSc) degrees in conjunction with the National Maritime College of Ireland.

Irish deck officer trainees are expected to complete a BSc in nautical science, which typically takes three years, and includes both college work and a minimum of 12 months' sea service to be eligible to take the deck officer of the watch (OOW) professional certificate.

Engineering officer trainees study for a BSc in marine and plant engineering, which also takes three years. You must then spend a further minimum of nine months at sea to be eligible to take the engineer officer of the watch (EOOW) professional certificate.

BP Maritime Services (Singapore) sponsors Irish trainee officers at the completion of year 1 (for deck officers) and year 2 (engineering officers). Sponsorship includes all exam and required course fees and a generous monthly subsistence bursary allowance.

Applications for BPMS Trainee Officer programme for year 2013 will be invited from 2nd week of September 2012.

We have now filled our intake for 2012

While the 2012 slots are filled, this is a definite to apply for in the coming weeks.

Has anyone here gone a similar route? I can only imagine the competition for this training programme.

The sponsorship takes place through the college. They come in and you interview with different companies and agencies and hope one gives you an offer of sponsorship.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭coulagh1986

http://www.cit.ie/course/CR094

You can see the course content of every module here and more info.

http://www.mycit.ie/exampapers/

There the past exam papers. Gives a good idea of what is asked.

I`m a bit like you. I`m 26 applied through CAO Mature Student last January. . Went to open days did a rake of research etc. However got conflicting advice from seveal people in the Merchant Navy. Some saying go for it. Others saying avoid. In the end I decided to go to Canada for the year and I can always decide to give it a go in a few years if I still feel it is the life for me.

www.officercadet.com has some good advice and info. However a lot of bird-brain/ dreamers on it too so dont believe everything you read.

All the best with whatever you decide to do

Just to give this some sort of closure.

I have decided to take this year to sort out financials and try our my own business, with a view to come back to the merchant navy work/study, possibly in 2013, or 2014.

But I will definitely be at the NMCI open day in the coming weeks - for advice and to see the facilities. If any boardsies are going along, see you there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Quote=Mickey Dazzler;77331105]. It takes longer to train to become a Captain or Chief Engineer that it does to become a doctor.
    .[/Quote]

I hate that argument. It may take years to get to old man/chief, but most of it is spent working not studying. You could apply the same logic and say it takes longer to get to sergeant in the Garda, or supermarket manager if you go in as a shelf stacker then to become a doctor, and strictly speaking it maybe true, but only because you need to work your way up the ranks first, getting seatime along the way

To become capt, it takes three years college (not consecutive) plus the qualifying seatime for oow, c/o and masters tickets

Having not been trough medical training I can't say with certainty, but I'd be fairly confident they do slightly longer in college

• Advertisement

It does only take 4 years college to become a GP

Advertisement