Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ray D'Arcy Show Thread - Mod note Post # 1 Updated

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Velocity_Girl

Does he have to mention Fifty Shades of Grey every single day?!

And he really needs to learn how to use the equipment in Today FM, I'm sick of hearing him saying eject, eject, eject and long silences when he's trying to figure out how to get the right clip to play.

I actually loved it when Anton Savage was covering for him when he was off when his baby was born, he was a great laugh and a breath of fresh air and it was so good to hear less of Mairead and more of Will.

It's getting to the point where I'm looking forward to Ray Foley coming on at 12 and that never use to happen!

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭CONSI

Unfortunately D'Arcy continues to be a ratings winner for TodayFM so no chance of him being dropped...might be more to do with whats up against him though rather than his own show, was listenig the other day and he was doing a review of Vacumn cleaners, this is what passes for radio these days apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 10,525 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

CONSI wrote: »
    Unfortunately D'Arcy continues to be a ratings winner for TodayFM so no chance of him being dropped...might be more to do with whats up against him though rather than his own show, was listenig the other day and he was doing a review of Vacumn cleaners, this is what passes for radio these days apparently

You're probably right. What's his competition like?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭JM Skipton

Its probably a very fair point about the lack of competition in the 9-12 slot.There is definitely an opening for the other stations if they could come up with a good light entertainment mix, at present however nobody has come up with a winning formula!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

CONSI wrote: »
    dulpit wrote: »
    You're probably right. What's his competition like?

Competition comprises of Tom Dunne on Newstalk, who I genuinely like, but isn't suited at all to that timeslot, and I'd imagine will lose that place come the next NT shake up.

Colm Hayes/Tubridy on 2FM, both of whom are haemorrhaging listeners IIRC.
    Pat Kenny on R1, who's a decent broadcaster, but very politics-y.

I can't help but wonder if Gerry Ryan were still around would D'Arcy's figures be half as impressive.

As it is, there's no decent alternative out there on the nationals.

And the locals/regionals aren't much better to be honest.

• Advertisement

The most asked question on the Ray Darcy show - "what age are your kids?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

The most asked question on the Ray Darcy show - "what age are your kids?"

Why, does Ray have any kids himself? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Mairead must have her kid in with her today.

Unintentionally funny moment: Ray was reading out something and stops dead and says "Mairead, you go out there - poor ould Darragh is after getting his head caught in the door".

:eek: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,280 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

Ray - ' Darnell ?! is that a common name for a black man'

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

2smiggy wrote: »
    Ray - ' Darnell ?! is that a common name for a black man'

Yep. As cringey as ever. Although fairplay to Reg, he handled it well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭el diablo

Just caught the end of that interview and D'arcy struggled badly as usual. He'll probably blame Reginald D. Hunter for being a bad interviewee though.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Reginald D Hunter was telling a story and Ray was constantly laughing during the build up.

Reg just stops and goes "What is the story with you laughing? It's like talking to a 13 year old boy, you are just going<ha ha insert silly laugh here ha ha>".

Funny stuff. Ray didn't find it too funny, and barely laughed at anything else. Probably mostly due to the fact that he couldn't get the best out of the guy.

He also asked him at one stage what his opinion of 50 shades of shoite grey was, and when he began to answer, Ray cut to an unannounced break. When they came back, Reg was still talking (obviously unaware of the break) and Ray carried on the "interview" like nothing had happened. Ask a question, and play and ad break during the answer? WTF is that about?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

Reginald D Hunter was telling a story and Ray was constantly laughing during the build up.

Reg just stops and goes "What is the story with you laughing? It's like talking to a 13 year old boy, you are just going<ha ha insert silly laugh here ha ha>".

Funny stuff. Ray didn't find it too funny, and barely laughed at anything else. Probably mostly due to the fact that he couldn't get the best out of the guy.

He also asked him at one stage what his opinion of 5o shades of shoite grey was, and when he began to answer, Ray cut to an unannounced break. When they came back, Reg was still talking (obviously unaware of the break) and Ray carried on the "interview" like nothing had happened. Ask a question, and play and ad break during the answer? WTF is that about?!

What annoyed me was all the talk about his own family and mother at the start of the interview, Reginald D. Hunter barely got a word out for the first two minutes.

I definitely think Ray Foley should start getting some of his guests instead. Foley has often said the D'Arcy team always gets the good guests and not them. If Ray is going to keep making a hames of these interviews then he shouldn't be let do them... for his own sake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭fifi234ie

I think that interview was pre-recorded because no one noticed the ad break.
    Also, after the show he usually introduces the news but he didn't today.
    Really bad interview tho "do you watch tv?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

Good to see Ray is as consistent as ever, sanctimonious, patronizing, spending most of the show talking about his own family and of course after a mere 15 years on radio, still not able to use the effin control desk.

Of course inexplicably he still pulls in big ratings so he won't be going anywhere but as his closest form of competition (I think PK is going for an entirely different type of listener) Tom Dunne is only marginally better.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,525 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Good to see Ray is as consistent as ever, sanctimonious, patronizing, spending most of the show talking about his own family and of course after a mere 15 years on radio, still not able to use the effin control desk.

Of course inexplicably he still pulls in big ratings so he won't be going anywhere but as his closest form of competition (I think PK is going for an entirely different type of listener) Tom Dunne is only marginally better.

Tom Dunne? The most boring man on radio? Poor competition altogether. That's the problem though, he's got nobody up against him in the same category who's anyway decent...

dulpit wrote: »
    Tom Dunne? The most boring man on radio? Poor competition altogether. That's the problem though, he's got nobody up against him in the same category who's anyway decent...

that's his biggest flaw alright but at least he isn't on his soapbox all day and tries to be be professional.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Jason Todd wrote: »
    What annoyed me was all the talk about his own family and mother at the start of the interview, Reginald D. Hunter barely got a word out for the first two minutes.

I definitely think Ray Foley should start getting some of his guests instead. Foley has often said the D'Arcy team always gets the good guests and not them. If Ray is going to keep making a hames of these interviews then he shouldn't be let do them... for his own sake.

Foley should definitely start to get at least one or two of the music/entertainment guests D'Arcy has in. At least Foley attempts to try and get the guest to speak and have the craic.

D'Arcy today read out a text asking about the news on Tuesday when Enda Kenny was speaking, something about a noise in the background. He went on to explain:

"I just couldn't believe the Taoiseach of the country was saying that in an interview, so I opened up the mic fader and said 'Uh-huh! Ummm!'" and he came across as if he was proud he did it, as if he was totally right to do it.

What other presenter on ANY radio station ANYWHERE would do that? Ray, we listen to the news for THE NEWS, not your "witty" contributions.

Twat.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Despite some peoples rightly noted issues with the show and Ray, his show remains ever popular and it has increased its listener figures. Its a relatively enjoyable and interesting morning show, I do enjoy it despite Ray sometimes spoiling it but I think that partly makes the show amusing/fun. I cant stand the 2fm morning shows, and I usually tune in after the good show on BeatFM is over. It really is a good show in all, despite its well noted faults.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

Sully wrote: »
    Despite some peoples rightly noted issues with the show and Ray, his show remains ever popular and it has increased its listener figures. Its a relatively enjoyable and interesting morning show, I do enjoy it despite Ray sometimes spoiling it but I think that partly makes the show amusing/fun. I cant stand the 2fm morning shows, and I usually tune in after the good show on BeatFM is over. It really is a good show in all, despite its well noted faults.

Totally agree, I like the show, wouldn't listen to anything else tbh, but things like the interviews are starting to leave a sour taste in my mouth, especially coming at the end of the show like they do, makes me look forward to Foley & Co. that bit more.

Is no-one in Today FM pulling Ray up on these things, or do they just see big ratings and leave him alone?

• Advertisement

Sully wrote: »
    Jason Todd wrote: »
    Totally agree, I like the show, wouldn't listen to anything else tbh, but things like the interviews are starting to leave a sour taste in my mouth, especially coming at the end of the show like they do, makes me look forward to Foley & Co. that bit more.

Is no-one in Today FM pulling Ray up on these things, or do they just see big ratings and leave him alone?

Do something! Demand better! change the station! turn off the radio!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Do something! Demand better! change the station! turn off the radio!

Its not that bad, hence why people listen. Nobody is perfect. The show is a free-for-all and he does exactly what he wants and how he wants. Its a success because of that, but while sometimes your annoyed with what he says and does you will still tune in because the bulk of the time its a great show.

That's just my opinion. I enjoy it most of the time, but it has its downsides which are very annoying. Many others seem to agree.

Demand perfect radio? Might make it very boring tbh. I agree some quality controls need to be implemented here, but within reason!

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭yellowtrout

I've been listening to Ray D'arcy for a few years now and it's alright.
    Maybe not perfect (when he can't get equipment to work/presses the wrong button-that is really annoying), but anything's better than Tubridy.

Although did cringe the other day when Ray asked Reginald D. Hunter if Darnell was a common name for a black man.
    Bit out of order?!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Although did cringe the other day when Ray asked Reginald D. Hunter if Darnell was a common name for a black man.
    Bit out of order?!
    I think it was more along the lines of this scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Listenership figures in paper yesterday said he gained 6000 I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

Neeson wrote: »
    Listenership figures in paper yesterday said he gained 6000 I think.
    So, either he is brilliant at his job, or the negativity on this page is making people tune in to see what all the fuss is about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭TBP

Anyone else ever notice when a caller might chance their arm and ask for a bobble head Ray or what ever they are called Ray always sighs and says wha, go on so bye or something along those lines. He comes across as a lad that is paying for the bobble head Rays out of his own money or something and doesn't want to be giving them out and a lad that doesn't give a crap about his listeners, very arrogant and condescending.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

Lelantos wrote: »
    So, either he is brilliant at his job, or the negativity on this page is making people tune in to see what all the fuss is about?

I doubt this page has much of a bearing on his ratings one way or the other to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

Lelantos wrote: »

I doubt this page has much of a bearing on his ratings one way or the other to be honest.
    Really? Reading some of the posts on here you would think that more people follow this thread than Jesus......I mean Ray himself. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Mairead's trying to be sexy again, sounds so forced!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement