Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FFXIV - it hasn't gone away you know

Options
  • 19-06-2012 8:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this was posted before. FF always has a special place in my heart, and despite the total mess they made of this first time around, I have to say it looks good. Not sure about the subscription model though. Not sure that I'm overly confident about how well it will do 2nd time around, but the series (and FFXI) has a lot of die hard fans, but up against the likes of GW it will need to be good.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-06-13-final-fantasy-14-on-ps4-we-must-first-fulfil-that-promise-of-ps3

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

It will go as any other failed launch MMO; it will waddle around in the <500k subscriber range for a couple of years and go free to play with a "premium" model for the normal subscription for full content.

Once a MMO fails to launch then that's it; it never recovers from it properly like a tree stunted at it's growth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

Nody wrote: »
    It will go as any other failed launch MMO; it will waddle around in the <500k subscriber range for a couple of years and go free to play with a "premium" model for the normal subscription for full content.

Once a MMO fails to launch then that's it; it never recovers from it properly like a tree stunted at it's growth.

And the last I read (prob a while back now) was that they want to charge you for any additional characters per month? Wait, WHAT? :eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Noxin wrote: »
    And the last I read (prob a while back now) was that they want to charge you for any additional characters per month? Wait, WHAT? :eek:
    1 or 2 USD per character slot as I recall yes; I'd expect things like that to become more common in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 boarder294

well, at least you enjoy it.
    =)

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭MarkJD

After playing FFXI since 2005-2010 I had high hopes for FFXIV. I got the CE at launch but after it failed terribly i didnt touch it until Feb 2012.

Iv been playing it regularly since and it is quite enjoyable. It has been under Yoshi P for well over a year now and him and the development team have made a lot of good changes bearing in mind they are still greatly held back from the terrible server structure and engine the game was originally built on. They have been providing huge patches and changes to the current game while at the same time building and designing a brand new game for the relaunch.

Dont get me wrong there is still plenty that warrants this game as non playable but if you can get passed that in the interim it is fun to play right now and plenty to do until the new version launches.

FFX|V 2.0 as they put it will be out hopefully December this year and while agree this game is pretty much dead and buried there will be a big draw back from players once it launches. Everything is getting redesigned! New servers, New Client, New World, New system and a lot of people are holding out. There was a little bit of noise and new info at E3 and Japan Expo this year but in typical SE fashion they are being tight lipped. A flood of new info, screens and videos is set to land sometime in August. Following that servers will be shut down for 1 Month for Alpha / Beta of the new client and then release. It will then come out on the PS3 soon after. Yoshi P even made an effort and brought the development team into Blizzard to sit down with with the WoW Developers and directors so that they could learn from them and take aspects of what they have done right. Make no mistakes SE is putting everything into this relaunch as they see it this is their chance to save face and the brand.

Some pics below of the new game / engine and concept art. These were taken at 15-20% optimization but they still look amazing! I have no doubt that this will be the most beautiful MMO game out there. It just needs the system and basics behind that other MMOs have done well to make it good and playable to the masses.

Character-Creation-Page-1.png

Delivery-Moogle.png

Scenery-Forest.png

In-game-Jumping.png

8847Battle-Sequence_Black-Mage.png

8848Battle-Sequence_Dragoon-1.png

Scenery-Desert.png

8849Battle-Sequence_Dragoon-2.png

Monster-Tiamat.png

Aquatic-Town.png

Chocobo-Ranch-Building-Stables.png

Full list can be seen here - http://www.ffandmore.com/?p=2623

Also multiple interviews from E3 & Japan Expo of those following the game eg - http://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/2012/06/07/e3-2012-interview-summons-chocobos-train-tracks-and-rocks/

Also as it stands now, there will be an "entry" subscription plan that lets you create up to 8 characters, but only one per server, and this plan will cost $10.99. Legacy will cost $9.99 (those that have currently paid for 3 months subscription or more), and the standard plan will cost $12.99.

Is there anyone currently playing or plan to give it a shot when 2.0 comes about? I think alot of people like the fact that it will be on the PS3 as well.

• Advertisement

Ugh! Sorry i resized all the photos (took ages) but seems they have broken the table sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 boarder294

Really great pics, although can't seem to understand what it says in the last one. :b

Yea it looks nice they just need to follow it up with some solid gameplay and actually take feedback from their Alpha / Beta periods.

Also the new trailer was released yesterday so should be expecting a flood of new information. Its all CGI and it looks nice but people really want gameplay to see the changes. It basically explains what is happened to the current world (1.0) and how we get to 2.0 for the relaunch of the game. Ties in with the current missions that have been building up to this point in the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFKvvlPF5Qc&feature=player_embedded

Advertisement