Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Ireland ever improve?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

davet82 wrote: »
    if there were a boards.uk i'm sure they're would be a similar rant...

nooooooooooooo.......people in the uk are too busy getting on with their life.....lol

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

As soon as we switch from 4-4-2 we should see some progress.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

SocSocPol wrote: »
    Yea bring back the good old days when our kids were routinely sexually and physically abused by priests and nuns,when contraception was illegal, when women were routinely butched in our church hospitals, oh how I long for those great days again:rolleyes:

So the country is great now because we got rid of endemic sexual abuse in our society. The fact that it went on so long says a lot about us as a people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    We don't protest like the Greeks or Spanish, we go to the pub and complain to our mates.

did them fcuk all good wrecking the place though...

i actually agree with alot of your rant but like you and everyone else, we're all wondering what can you do...

so after all this thinking you've made me do, i've an awful thirst on me, lets go for a pint ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Which country do you think has more social problems?

Ireland - phoenix park etc or the UK - multi-city riots on behalf of large disenfranchised section of society?

Do you really believe the relationship with alcohol in either country is signficantly different ?

UK actually tops the binge drinking league table. Sadly, after Finland, we're 3rd.

I get that Ireland has problems, but you're really lacking in any kind of perspective if you think UK society what we should aspire too !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,789 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

I was too young in the 80s to be aware of this stuff - was there a massive heroin problem then? Was Dublin city centre crawling with junkies? Were there as many drunks on the streets on a Saturday night? Was the country full of empty ghost estates? Were beauty spots polluted with one off housing due to brown envelopes?
    Has it really improved?

Yes heroin was a major problem in dublin in the 1980's
    http://www.drugsandalcohol.ie/5060/1/321-0263.pdf
    For a variety of reasons the Dublin study had, in the event, to be confined to the
    original North Central Dublin area. The definitive 1982-83 prevalence of heroin abuse in
    that area among those aged 15-24 was found to be 10%; but in those aged 15-19 it was
    12%, and among females aged 15-19 it was 13%. These Irish prevalence figures are in
    some respects slightly better, in other respects a good deal worse, than equivalent 1970
    figures for New York black ghettos. In particular, the figures for females aged 15-19 and
    aged 20-24 were markedly worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Diapason

So the country is great now because we got rid of endemic sexual abuse in our society. The fact that it went on so long says a lot about us as a people.

That's serious glass half empty stuff. So even if we make the country a Utopian ideal, we'll still be **** because it took us too long to do it?

I was too young in the 80s to be aware of this stuff - was there a massive heroin problem then? Was Dublin city centre crawling with junkies? Were there as many drunks on the streets on a Saturday night? Was the country full of empty ghost estates? Were beauty spots polluted with one off housing due to brown envelopes?
    Has it really improved?

Heroin was a huge issues, the country was pretty much as bad as now for one-off housing, there were no ghost estates but we hadn't had any prosperity to build any in.

I am pie wrote: »

Ireland - phoenix park etc or the UK - multi-city riots on behalf of large disenfranchised section of society?

Do you really believe the relationship with alcohol in either country is signficantly different ?

UK actually tops the binge drinking league table. Sadly, after Finland, we're 3rd.

I get that Ireland has problems, but you're really lacking in any kind of perspective if you think UK society what we should aspire too !

In fairness to London they have a lot to deal with here, massive influx of foreigners that you really have to see to believe, racial tensions are dealt with quite well usually.
    Have you been to Finland? They may drink a lot but the country runs very well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Has it improved? So poor people on the dole have xboxes and sky TV these days, which isn't really an improvement, but they are completely out of touch with everything and seem to be very angry. Were people getting beaten to death by teenagers or stabbed in the head with screwdrivers back then? Morals and decency and community are dead. Our leaders have shown us the way, to take all you can for yourself and not to care about anyone else.

The morals and decency you speak of were a veneer over all the then hidden abuse inflicted by both state and religious. Sure, you could walk back from the pub etc at night and be 99.99% sure nothing was going to happen to you, but a lot of sh*t went on behind closed doors that we'll probably never find out about.

There were riots in '84 around a concert in Slane, so getting bate about the head is nothing new, more and freely available drink and drugs so it's got more vicious than a simple fisticuffs, it's just there's no fear of the rule of law with the 'disadvantaged' ...they got nothing to lose.

We have improved materially, that's about all.

• Advertisement

Yes heroin was a major problem in dublin in the 1980's
    http://www.drugsandalcohol.ie/5060/1/321-0263.pdf

I know it was a problem but I don't think the city was crawling with them the way it is now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

Impressive rant OP and a fair bit of truth in it unfortunately. When I was reading through it I remembered a story: A mate of mine was working in a company in Denmark a few years ago and he told me the following anecdote:

In the canteen you collected your food from the staff serving at the hot counter and then you went through a self service check out where you keyed in your food and then swiped a card which you had to top up with cash. Ostensibly staff would do spot checks to see if your receipt matched what was on your plate but in reality everyone threw their receipts straight into the bin that was next to the check-out machine.

My buddy remarked to one of the Danes how this system wouldn't work in Ireland because people would take advantage of it. "taking three sausages but only paying for two, not keying in the carrots etc". The Dane was horrified: "You mean, they would steal the food?", to which my friend replied "Well, the thing is they wouldn't actually see it that way...."

I wouldn't do that. Would you?

Has it improved?

Yes.

not wise to compare the uk with ireland...4 million.....60 million....

cannot be compared.....and stop reading uk newspapers.......if you want real news......robbing tellys is not being disinfranchised....

While we are talking about Riots what have those oh so lovely french done to deal with the paris ghettos.
    Have the factors behind the 2005 three week riots been fixed?
    http://riotsfrance.ssrc.org/

In fairness to London they have a lot to deal with here, massive influx of foreigners that you really have to see to believe, racial tensions are dealt with quite well usually.

One in 6 of the people in Ireland were born abroad. I don't think any country has as high a proportion of its population foreign-born and we seem to be handling it.

Fair enough I just thought it was typical mentality, as long as we can get p*ssed we don't care how the team did. Looked like a big stag do to me. I kind of thought it summed up the Irish attitude to everything. Let's bring in massive austherity measures. We don't protest like the Greeks or Spanish, we go to the pub and complain to our mates.
    I take your point but maybe I shouldn't have mentioned football, don't want it to head down that route.

Sorry people aren't confirming to your idea of what the correct course of action is for this economic crisis.

The Spanish have brought in austerity measures, more severe than us. Passed last week. The people voted for these measures, Rajoy stood for these cutbacks, got elected and has implemented them. Pretty straightforward?

We're a small country of 4 million people, perhaps...you know, our protests are smaller whilst still including the same small percentage of the overall populace.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

By pretty much every measure Ireland is still a better place to be today than at anytime bar the early 2000s.

I'm 28 and even in the early to mid 90s things were a lot grimmer than now. Recycling wallpaper for school book covers, hand me down clothes, the most exotic summer holiday being Wexford and we were reasonably well off at the time relatively speaking.

we still have awful pricing when it comes to 2 hour train journeys,we have disused rails all over ireland that need to be joined up to make every county and city in ireland with a rail service,

We don't have the population for this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

KerranJast wrote: »
    By pretty much every measure Ireland is still a better place to be today than at anytime bar the early 2000s.

I'm 28 and even in the early to mid 90s things were a lot grimmer than now. Recycling wallpaper for school book covers, hand me down clothes, the most exotic summer holiday being Wexford and we were reasonably well off at the time relatively speaking.

Ohhh, lah-de-dah Mr Moneybags with your trips to "Wexford"!

• Advertisement

I know it was a problem but I don't think the city was crawling with them the way it is now

I attached a link to the report and quoted the preface.
    15% of 19 to 24 year old girls in inner city dublin would tell me it was crawling with them.

Ok right well I'm going to lunch now, I'm just saying what's on my mind let's not take all this too personally, brb!

What about Manchester, Birmingham and all those other cities?

So, UK & Ireland, which country has more problem socially? Go on....which has more problems with drink?

I think you're sorely lacking in perpective.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

Don't forget the massive crime problems of the time. Recent gang warfare may be perceived to be bad but it's been nothing like the days when The General, Gilligan et al were loose.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭invpat

As long as the same political class rule nothing will change.Do you really think Ruairi Quinn (a Labbour Minister) is worried about antics in the Phoenix Park when is driver is ferrying him to his holiday home in Roundstone in his state car (ok its not a garda driver) more than likely he is wondering what wine he and his banker brother Lochlinn will have for dinner, oh and then to fill in the expenses chit for his travel almost 1500 Euros for July last year.Its a big scam keep the plebs happy with scraps and keep the gravy going for the boys.No change here or ever.

Ok right well I'm going to lunch now, I'm just saying what's on my mind let's not take all this too personally, brb!

You did make it personal you referred to the irish as pig ignorant in your OP, Im Irish and I take insult at being accussed of having a pig ignorant attitude.

Perhaps the real ignorant one is you, who armed with only a biased opinion formed solely from reading of tabloid media sources have come here to insult a nation of nearly 5 million. :rolleyes:

What about Manchester, Birmingham and all those other cities?

So, UK & Ireland, which country has more problem socially? Go on....which has more problems with drink?

I think you're sorely lacking in perpective.

you are watching too much telly.......lol

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Ok right well I'm going to lunch now..

O.k. which reminds me, wait a sec........... FART!

Jaysus, must have been the......FART!

Feck, what's wrong with me..........FART!

I'm gonna have to excuse..........FART!

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Diapason

The thing is, I get your rant, and it's hard to be objective about anything when we're in the middle of such a serious economic crisis, but change doesn't happen overnight. I agree with a lot of your criticisms about the mentality, but it's not across the board. There are plenty of people left who think things can be done better, and will be done better.

I must be feeling optimistic today, cos normally I spend my time just despairing of the scumbaggery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭damoz

Finland suicide rate 17.6 per 100,000, Ireland 11.8 per 100,000. Finland is no utopia either...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_suicide_rate#cite_note-11

Advertisement