Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World Snooker Championship 2012

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭zack01

Zack.

Have you any idea where the possible tournament in Ireland might be played..?

Nothing confirmed yet, but the tournament is certain to be the PTC Grand Finals, and if the comments made by players, officials and fans alike after the finals last March than Galway may host it again

• Site Banned Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭Silvio.Dante

zack01 wrote: »
    Nothing confirmed yet, but the tournament is certain to be the PTC Grand Finals, and if the comments made by players, officials and fans alike after the finals last March than Galway may host it again

Thanks.

I know nothing is firmed up yet.

Goffs always reminded me of a mini Crucible. I see the Legends are back there at the end of the month.

Is it a good night out..?

Thanks.

I know nothing is firmed up yet.

Goffs always reminded me of a mini Crucible. I see the Legends are back there at the end of the month.

Is it a good night out..?

Loved Goffs !

To be honest i've never been to one of the legend shows but i've heard they are great fun.

Loved Goffs !

To be honest i've never been to one of the legend shows but i've heard they are great fun.

I might head down this year...:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Fantastic tournament, gripping from start to finish. I think a very relevant clue for Ali Carter should have came in the 1st round. I'm all for him having another voice in his camp, Ebdon, but the fact that Ebdons own tactics resulted in a 10-3 defeat to Ronnie should have screamed "ronnie isnt gonna get frustrated this year and lose the plot". In truth, and it's a harsh truth, tactics were irrelevant in the final. If Ali had tried to go toe-to-toe in a loose, attacking game he would have lost. If he tried to keep it tight and tactical (as he did) he would have lost. Ronnie was just too good and too focused. I think only 1 player at the absolute top of his game could have even competed with Ron and that's John Higgins.

Other stories to come out this year, Hendry making the max and retiring, good luck to him great player and a good guy. Jamie Jones scoring so heavily, Matthew Stevens back approaching his best, Mark Allen continuing to make a tit of himself off the table, was an enthralling and gripping tournament.

Ronnie, quite simply, is one of the best, more naturally gifted players of all time. I've been lucky enough to play a few pros in exhibitions (Williams, Ken, Jimmy and Ronnie), found Williams very dry but the other 3 are top men.

The only other person i've played in my life who came close to Ronnie for pure natural talent and skill, is probably a person 99% of the forum have never heard of. An Irish guy and friend by the name of Joe Canny. I'm sure Zack will know him and i honestly believe he's the most naturally gifted player Ireland has ever produced and but for some Ronnie-like demons with drink/gambling/depression i'm convinced he would have been World Champion. Ireland has produced some great players at pro and amateur levels, Eugene Hughes, Ken, Fergal, Patsy Fagan, Jason Watson, the 2 Stephens (Murphy and O Connor), Davy Morris but none of them could match Joe for pure natural genius.

Great tournament and hopefully Haven House benefitted from the centuries. I wish Mark Allen and, to an extent, Mark Williams would choose their comments a bit better but makes for good entertainment!! Until next year!

• Advertisement

Fantastic tournament, gripping from start to finish. I think a very relevant clue for Ali Carter should have came in the 1st round. I'm all for him having another voice in his camp, Ebdon, but the fact that Ebdons own tactics resulted in a 10-3 defeat to Ronnie should have screamed "ronnie isnt gonna get frustrated this year and lose the plot". In truth, and it's a harsh truth, tactics were irrelevant in the final. If Ali had tried to go toe-to-toe in a loose, attacking game he would have lost. If he tried to keep it tight and tactical (as he did) he would have lost. Ronnie was just too good and too focused. I think only 1 player at the absolute top of his game could have even competed with Ron and that's John Higgins.

Other stories to come out this year, Hendry making the max and retiring, good luck to him great player and a good guy. Jamie Jones scoring so heavily, Matthew Stevens back approaching his best, Mark Allen continuing to make a tit of himself off the table, was an enthralling and gripping tournament.

Ronnie, quite simply, is one of the best, more naturally gifted players of all time. I've been lucky enough to play a few pros in exhibitions (Williams, Ken, Jimmy and Ronnie), found Williams very dry but the other 3 are top men.

The only other person i've played in my life who came close to Ronnie for pure natural talent and skill, is probably a person 99% of the forum have never heard of. An Irish guy and friend by the name of Joe Canny. I'm sure Zack will know him and i honestly believe he's the most naturally gifted player Ireland has ever produced and but for some Ronnie-like demons with drink/gambling/depression i'm convinced he would have been World Champion. Ireland has produced some great players at pro and amateur levels, Eugene Hughes, Ken, Fergal, Patsy Fagan, Jason Watson, the 2 Stephens (Murphy and O Connor), Davy Morris but none of them could match Joe for pure natural genius.

Great tournament and hopefully Haven House benefitted from the centuries. I wish Mark Allen and, to an extent, Mark Williams would choose their comments a bit better but makes for good entertainment!! Until next year!

Joe Canny was certainly one hell of a player and one i though would have a big future in the game,but to me two players come to mind everytime i watch snooker and i say to myself how come these guys never made it. There are Paddy Browne and Stephen Murphy, Browne was probably one of the most unluckiest players to turn pro! He enjoyed a decent first two seasons on the pro tour culminating in him winning the players sattelite tournament, ( the following this was changed to the Benson & Hedges sattelite where the winner recieved an invite to play in the Masters in Wembley)he made the last 16 of the Rothmans Grand Prix but lost 5-3 to Stephen Hendry, he lost in his second season six qualifying for venue matches 5-4 with four of these black ball games. At only 27 arthritis struck Paddy down and after two hip replacements and further surgery on his shoulder he was forced to retire from the game. Paddy runs a club in Manchester now.

Stephen Murphy was without doubt the best natural talent i have seen come out of Ireland. He turned pro the hard way by winning one of the pro event play offs against James Wattana in 1990. He qualified for several venues in his first season but basing himself in London and trying to finance himself brought extra pressure to him. He qualified for the Cruicble losing to title holder Stephen Hendry in the first round in 1993. Stephen's greatest achievement was probably helping Ireland reach the Snooker World Cup Final in Thailand in 1996 along with Doherty and O'Brien. Stephen packed in the pro game in '99 but still plays once a week for the snooker team in Newlands Golf Club. He has to give 40 start every frame he plays and in one match this season he made a total clearance of 128. I've been pushing him to enter the World Seniors next year !!

Joe Canny was certainly one hell of a player and one i though would have a big future in the game,but to me two players come to mind everytime i watch snooker and i say to myself how come these guys never made it. There are Paddy Browne and Stephen Murphy, Browne was probably one of the most unluckiest players to turn pro! He enjoyed a decent first two seasons on the pro tour culminating in him winning the players sattelite tournament, ( the following this was changed to the Benson & Hedges sattelite where the winner recieved an invite to play in the Masters in Wembley)he made the last 16 of the Rothmans Grand Prix but lost 5-3 to Stephen Hendry, he lost in his second season six qualifying for venue matches 5-4 with four of these black ball games. At only 27 arthritis struck Paddy down and after two hip replacements and further surgery on his shoulder he was forced to retire from the game. Paddy runs a club in Manchester now.

Stephen Murphy was without doubt the best natural talent i have seen come out of Ireland. He turned pro the hard way by winning one of the pro event play offs against James Wattana in 1990. He qualified for several venues in his first season but basing himself in London and trying to finance himself brought extra pressure to him. He qualified for the Cruicble losing to title holder Stephen Hendry in the first round in 1993. Stephen's greatest achievement was probably helping Ireland reach the Snooker World Cup Final in Thailand in 1996 along with Doherty and O'Brien. Stephen packed in the pro game in '99 but still plays once a week for the snooker team in Newlands Golf Club. He has to give 40 start every frame he plays and in one match this season he made a total clearance of 128. I've been pushing him to enter the World Seniors next year !!

The Darren Morgan benefit tournament lol. He's too good for that tournament!!! It's frightening to think technically speaking the likes of Hendry could enter the World Seniors if they wanted to!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

Even if he did'nt touch his cue for a few years i'd still fancy Hendry to win it!

Here's the Snooker HQ's end of season awards !!

http://snookerhq.com/2012/05/09/2012-shq-awards/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

I might head down this year...:)

I was looking at tickets for Legends recently and the seating chart on ticket master is a joke. It offered me seats 1 and 2 in block G or whatever and you can see where block G is but not the seats so I had no idea if seat numbers started at the back or the front and didn't bother booking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Loved Goffs !

Yea goffs was a brilliant spot for the snooker. I remember seeing higgins get one of his 147`s there, amazing to see that up close.

mewso wrote: »
    I was looking at tickets for Legends recently and the seating chart on ticket master is a joke. It offered me seats 1 and 2 in block G or whatever and you can see where block G is but not the seats so I had no idea if seat numbers started at the back or the front and didn't bother booking.

That's ridiculous, so they want you to book seats and you won't know where they are until you arrive that night.
    Madness

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Here's the Snooker HQ's end of season awards !!

http://snookerhq.com/2012/05/09/2012-shq-awards/

Some questionable thoughts there :P

Ah no, completely agree with everything. Here's hoping the Irish do well at Q school in a few weeks time.

Will Q School be televised or available on streams..?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

*Bump*

Zack pictures, you haven't forgotten us have you? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23 JBarnes1986

I knew Joe myself and played him in tournaments a number of times.As good as Joe was(is),I wouldn't put him in the same league as Ken/Fergal.The most naturally talented Irish player I've seen(apologies to Mr.Muphy)and this is in a purely in an Amateur context,was Joe Delaney.It's a pity his Pro career never really took off.

Jernal wrote: »
    *Bump*

Zack pictures, you haven't forgotten us have you? :D

Sorry guys, catching up on work, will get them up asap

I knew Joe myself and played him in tournaments a number of times.As good as Joe was(is),I wouldn't put him in the same league as Ken/Fergal.The most naturally talented Irish player I've seen(apologies to Mr.Muphy)and this is in a purely in an Amateur context,was Joe Delaney.It's a pity his Pro career never really took off.

Joe's entered Q School which begins next week and I fancy him to win one of the twelve places to go back on the main tour

I just remember Frank Callan (Hendrys coach in early days) coming to ireland to watch Canny when he was 16 and said he'd be a future world champion. Delaney is beautiful to watch makes it look effortless. To be fair the amount of amateurs in this country who are close to pro standard is pretty impressive. On their day, TJ Dowling, McCrudden, Mario Fernandez etc are absolutely lethal. I suppose at the end of the day, becoming a pro takes more than just talent. As in all sports, a lot of it is mental strength - the determination to put in the practise and dedication required to bridge the gap from frighteningly good amateur to good pro.

• Advertisement

Joe's entered Q School which begins next week and I fancy him to win one of the twelve places to go back on the main tour

Good to hear. I don't know Joe myself but it sounds as if he deserves a second chance...:)

Good to hear. I don't know Joe myself but it sounds as if he deserves a second chance...:)

Joe is a top man. To stay on the tour for so many consecutive years (think it was 18 or 19) is a good achievement in itself. When he qualified for the Crucible a few years back he was buzzing in practice but the occasion just got to him against Matthew Stevens. Michaela Tabb had to warn him early on for conceding a frame early, he miscued in 1 frame in the balls, things just went badly wrong that 1st session, 7-1 down, no way back in the evening session. Had a lot of us over supporting.

The tables for the Points tournaments (domestic ranking events) in carlow or elsewhere are such a leveller. The likes of Joe, Colm Gilcreest, Brendan O Donoghue, Rodney Goggins...... put them on a Star table and they are machines. Put them on a club table best-of-5 and not the same. Colm is a great example, pro for a lot of years, made a few venues and still an absolute machine of a player (pro standard) but doesn't pull up many trees in carlow.

It's sad in a way but so many irish players are stuck in that middle ground of "too good to be amateur" and "not quite good enough to be a top pro". I think that's why many get disillusioned with the game and walk away. At their best, the likes of Gary Hardiman, Dave Kelly, Jason Watson, were all in that bracket.

Joe is a top man. To stay on the tour for so many consecutive years (think it was 18 or 19) is a good achievement in itself. When he qualified for the Crucible a few years back he was buzzing in practice but the occasion just got to him against Matthew Stevens. Michaela Tabb had to warn him early on for conceding a frame early, he miscued in 1 frame in the balls, things just went badly wrong that 1st session, 7-1 down, no way back in the evening session. Had a lot of us over supporting.

The tables for the Points tournaments (domestic ranking events) in carlow or elsewhere are such a leveller. The likes of Joe, Colm Gilcreest, Brendan O Donoghue, Rodney Goggins...... put them on a Star table and they are machines. Put them on a club table best-of-5 and not the same. Colm is a great example, pro for a lot of years, made a few venues and still an absolute machine of a player (pro standard) but doesn't pull up many trees in carlow.

It's sad in a way but so many irish players are stuck in that middle ground of "too good to be amateur" and "not quite good enough to be a top pro". I think that's why many get disillusioned with the game and walk away. At their best, the likes of Gary Hardiman, Dave Kelly, Jason Watson, were all in that bracket.

Thanks for the insights. Being an armchair fan I don't know the Irish scene but reading your and Zack's posts tels me there's a heck of alot of talent around.

All the best to Joe anyway...:)

Its the exact same in the amateur game in the UK and beyond, amateur snooker across the world still has'nt recovered from the ridiculous decision by the WPBSA in 1990 to open the game to everyone.
    Only now with the introdction of Q School last sason and this season is there a level playing field. If your good enough you win your pro ticket your on the tour for two years, if your not you either lick your wounds and come back the following year or basically just pack the game in. I hear so many stories of players that were this and that but never really ammounted to much, yes the pro game is a lot tougher but that's the sport these guys have chosen, and just because they were good players does'nt give them the right to be good pros.
    And you summed it up in one word really 'disillusioned' .

Take two examples, Neil Robertson and Dave Gilbert. Robertson packed it in first time and went home, them he gave it a second go and fell off the tour, but the third time he knew he needed to change his game to be successful and the rest really is history.
    Dave Gilbert lost his place on the main tour and entered Q School, he lost in his final qualifying match 5-4 in the first two events but he qualified on his third and final attempt. He then joined the main tour and capped his season with a quarter final spot in Sheffield.

It's a tough game to make the breakthrough in as is i suppose any other sport
    really.

I knew a dave kelly when i lived in blanch. Must be the same fella. A great player alright.

There have just been some explosive comments from Mark Allen after his 10-6 defeat to Cao Yupeng, relating to Chinese players in general which are sure to ignite the snooker news feeds tomorrow. Below I will simply relate what he said.

When talking about the match he said “I got the worst run of the ball ever in two sessions of snooker. The white was nowhere near the pocket, it rolled off. On a normal table that ball would never have gone in, I was ready to go out and compose myself for the next frame when I turned round and saw it was going in”.

“I maybe underestimated him a little bit. I’m very disappointed, it turns a decent season into a mediocre one. It sets you back losing first round here and I didn’t see that defeat coming as I was playing well coming into this, both in matches and in practice. If ever a ranking position was false, that was one. He has a very bright future”.

However, it was the next set of comments that really surprised the congregated press pack “Paul Collier (the referee) missed a blatant push shot at 5-4 at a crucial stage of the match, Terry Griffiths convinced me later in the interval that it was a foul and at the time I looked at Paul and at Michaela who was scoring the match, Cao also looked at the referee but there was no foul called. Chinese players have been known for blatant cheating and they seem to get away with it. He’s too good to do it but they seem to just get away with it. It’s a sad state of snooker, the likes of Marco Fu and Liang Wenbo have been known for it in the past”.

It’s fair to say that Allen has left the championship with a customary bang. Cao for his part, denied all knowledge of the incident which apparently happened when he was on a break of eight in frame ten.

Mark Allen was today fined £10,000 plus £1,000 costs for his remarks about Cao and his fellow Chinese players.
    He was also bound over for six months during which if he steps out of line again he'll be banned for three months.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,278 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Don't think he will be able to keep his mouth closed. Wouldn't mind seeing him banned for a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Mark Allen was today fined £10,000 plus £1,000 costs for his remarks about Cao and his fellow Chinese players.
    He was also bound over for six months during which if he steps out of line again he'll be banned for three months.

What was it he actually said? All I can find is something about blatant cheating or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭giant_midget

EnterNow wrote: »
    What was it he actually said? All I can find is something about blatant cheating or something?

He was living up to the sterotype image of the agrgy ignorant orangeman..

• Advertisement

EnterNow wrote: »

Advertisement