Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you?

Options
  • 28-05-2012 8:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭

In all honesty, if you could unleash a zombie virus on the world, would you?
    Or if that's too much for your conscience lets say you have access to an infinite number of alternate realities, one of which is the same as this world except for the fact that 99 per cent of the population are zombie (were talking George A. Romero slow, shambling creatures here, not the scary 28 Days Later bastards, would you go there and stay permanently?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

lol no, nevermind killing bajillions of people why would you want to live in such a world where simple day to day living would be a struggle and things like breaking a bone or getting an infected cut would be properly life threatening nevermind the brain eating zombies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭Old Tom

would you?
    Destroying my whole life? Destroying life of my family?
    No, never.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭downwithpeace

No on both counts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

I'm not saying I'd do it but it certainly would be a simpler life in some respects.

No on both counts.

Is your name street talk, you're "down" with peace like you're "down" with the kids. Or do you mean "down with peace" as in a Father Ted "down with this sort of thing."
    Just wondering so I can make sense of your answer.

• Advertisement

Is your name street talk, you're "down" with peace like you're "down" with the kids. Or do you mean "down with peace" as in a Father Ted "down with this sort of thing."

Actually that question is the reason I came up with this name, it can be taken at either meaning :p

• Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

usernames usually have very little to do with the person, if you're basing your answer on someones username you might want to rethink it, jus' sayin' :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Zomg Okay

usernames usually have very little to do with the person, if you're basing your answer on someones username you might want to rethink it, jus' sayin' :D

Yeah, I mean, if people judged me off my username they'd never take me seriously.

Wait, they don't take me seriously anyway. Oh well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

Fcuk no!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Parkwaydrive

I reckon if one could sleep and live the zombie apocalypse in your sleep time, and then continue the next time you sleep, I definitely would!

However, if one could only choose life as it is now and therefore make the two mutually exclusive, much as I hate this life, I think the risk is far too great and don't think I would unleash it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

I'm not saying I'd do it but it certainly would be a simpler life in some respects.

If you want a simpler life become a buddhist monk, and learn about true suffering.

Cork24 wrote: »
    If you want a simpler life become a buddhist monk, and learn about true suffering.

What? No! That sounds awful. If the choice was that or zombie apocalypse I'd be dumping drums of the Z-Virus in the water supply.

I reckon if one could sleep and live the zombie apocalypse in your sleep time, and then continue the next time you sleep, I definitely would!

However, if one could only choose life as it is now and therefore make the two mutually exclusive, much as I hate this life, I think the risk is far too great and don't think I would unleash it!

You sound like you're just one more piece of bad news away from giving this zombie thing your full support.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

No way, having a Zombie plan is like having a fire escape, you would rather have it and not need it, then need it and not have it.

Also I would miss milkshakes and the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Carter P Fly

I would

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Parkwaydrive

What? I don't quite follow what you're saying.

I was just saying that it sounds to me like there is room to manoeuvre there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Daisy M

Why would you think anyone would ever choose to unleash such a thing? Surely its the same as asking people if they would drop an atomic bomb.:confused:

Daisy M wrote: »
    Why would you think anyone would ever choose to unleash such a thing? Surely its the same as asking people if they would drop an atomic bomb.:confused:

well they did, didnt they? Two in fact. I just think it would be a way of resetting the clock. It would really refocus your priorities. Plus I love zombies.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭ChaseThisLight

Never. Not for any reason.

And how could you possibly think unleashing such a virus would make life simpler? :confused: You'd be spending your days trying to survive, knowing that each day could be your last - and yes, I realize that even today, each day could be your last, but the threat of zombies and friendly (or unfriendly) fire multiplies that. There's nothing simple about trying to survive a world filled with zombies.

• Advertisement

Never. Not for any reason.

And how could you possibly think unleashing such a virus would make life simpler? :confused: You'd be spending your days trying to survive, knowing that each day could be your last - and yes, I realize that even today, each day could be your last, but the threat of zombies and friendly (or unfriendly) fire multiplies that. There's nothing simple about trying to survive a world filled with zombies.

No job, no government, no such thing as money, no big brother, no celebrity news, no forms to fill out or bureaucracy to bow down before. Just living every day and living it as if it were your last. Sounds like the perfect tonic for someone who has become jaded by existence. And then when the zombies are wiped out we cant start society all over again but this time with the knowledge of our past mistakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭ChaseThisLight

No job, no government, no such thing as money, no big brother, no celebrity news, no forms to fill out or bureaucracy to bow down before. Just living every day and living it as if it were your last. Sounds like the perfect tonic for someone who has become jaded by existence. And then when the zombies are wiped out we cant start society all over again but this time with the knowledge of our past mistakes.

You'd only be trading those things for a harder life than you had before; the zombies may be wiped out eventually, but it will take a lot of work and hardships to get to that point. Wouldn't be worth it, in my eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Daisy M

The zombies would include most people you ever knew. When the zombies were wiped out you would be left with a whole set of other problems like sourcing adequete uncontaminated food and water. There would be decomposing bodies everywhere with no one to clean up the mess. Rats would be rampant and would spread disease. Something as simple as a flu or bought of diarrhorea could be fatal. You would age quicker due to having to work physically hard in all weather, suffering sleep deprivation and having injuries and illness that couldnt be treated.

You my friend sound as though you need to go and find an uninhabited island and chill.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Zomg Okay

we cant start society all over again but this time with the knowledge of our past mistakes.

Won't work. If there's one thing we humans are good at, it's not learning from past mistakes.

Zomg Okay wrote: »
    Won't work. If there's one thing we humans are good at, it's not learning from past mistakes.

Then maybe we'll get lucky and the zombies will win.

If your in a group then some sort of hierarchy will emerge, might be on top or might be at the bottom but either way your going to be stuck with politics. Just living from day to day even Zombie free will likely have some human interaction which if their survival views differ to yours then the peace and tranquility could be a dream of the past.

If your in a group then some sort of hierarchy will emerge, might be on top or might be at the bottom but either way your going to be stuck with politics. Just living from day to day even Zombie free will likely have some human interaction which if their survival views differ to yours then the peace and tranquility could be a dream of the past.

Maybe. Maybe not. Only one way to find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭jameverywhere

The fact that you're even asking this question is concerning.

Unless you were assured of your own immunity, being the person who unleashes the virus on the world pretty much guarantees that you will be one of the first infected. If not THE first. Which means, yay, you're a zombie, and you've just kickstarted the Zed apocalypse. Can't you find a less dastardly way of committing suicide?

If you were sure of your own immunity to the virus, and just wanted to live in a video game for a while, let me tell you, it would get old really fast.

How about this. Gather up all the camping gear you own, or all the supplies that you would want to use in a Zed apocalypse. Pack them into your car or onto a touring bicycle. Go off into the wilderness by yourself for a week.

drive until your car runs out of petrol, then abandon it because there's no petrol left. (skip this step if you chose the bike)

Eat out of tins, sleep in the dirt, pretend there are zombies around every corner and practice running away from them because, let's face it, you're not going to have a gun or ammunition by this point. For added reality points, camp somewhere with bears like in Alaska or where there are known mountain lions for added danger and adrenaline.

Pick up and go home when you're tired, sore, lonely, and out of food. (Or, get eaten by a bear.)

If you enjoyed it, congrats, you're crazy. Sell your house, buy more camping gear/cycling kit, and live in the woods for the rest of your life.

If you didn't enjoy it, congrats, you're just a regular guy. Go back to your normal life and feel guilty for secretly wanting to kill millions of people just to have a life that seems cool but actually sucks.

Maybe. Maybe not. Only one way to find out.

To much of a risk to test though.

• Advertisement

The fact that you're even asking this question is concerning.

Unless you were assured of your own immunity, being the person who unleashes the virus on the world pretty much guarantees that you will be one of the first infected. If not THE first. Which means, yay, you're a zombie, and you've just kickstarted the Zed apocalypse. Can't you find a less dastardly way of committing suicide?

If you were sure of your own immunity to the virus, and just wanted to live in a video game for a while, let me tell you, it would get old really fast.

How about this. Gather up all the camping gear you own, or all the supplies that you would want to use in a Zed apocalypse. Pack them into your car or onto a touring bicycle. Go off into the wilderness by yourself for a week.

drive until your car runs out of petrol, then abandon it because there's no petrol left. (skip this step if you chose the bike)

Eat out of tins, sleep in the dirt, pretend there are zombies around every corner and practice running away from them because, let's face it, you're not going to have a gun or ammunition by this point. For added reality points, camp somewhere with bears like in Alaska or where there are known mountain lions for added danger and adrenaline.

Pick up and go home when you're tired, sore, lonely, and out of food. (Or, get eaten by a bear.)

If you enjoyed it, congrats, you're crazy. Sell your house, buy more camping gear/cycling kit, and live in the woods for the rest of your life.

If you didn't enjoy it, congrats, you're just a regular guy. Go back to your normal life and feel guilty for secretly wanting to kill millions of people just to have a life that seems cool but actually sucks.

Well firstly, my sincere apologies for wanting "a life that seems cool." I'll just sit here at the computer until my lungs finally give out under the weight of my tits.
    Secondly, your assertions are just as much assumptions as mine are, neither of us know what it would really be like.
    Thirdly, any Z-Head will tell you that zombies and bears have a number of subtle but key differences. (Zombie bears are an entirely different issue.)
    Fourthly, I gave a second option where instead of causing the zombie apocalypse you travel to an alternate reality where it is already happening.
    Thus meaning I wouldnt be killing millions of anything.

Leaving aside the patronising video game comments and your "assurances" that it would get old fast (have you lived through one of these before) I still think I'd be tempted by it. There is a fairly significant part of me drawn to the apocalyptic. I think it would put a lot of stuff in perspective.

Advertisement