Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The race for 1st,2nd,3rd or 4th (delete as appropriate)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭Glebee

-gilly-09- wrote: »
    Jesus that must have been some game! Its in our hands now!
    Spurs are just going to **** it all up. You know it's coming lads. Please let me be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

Kyle Naugton, the on loan Tottenham rightback, has he just 'pushed' Arsenal out of the Champions League?!:D

COYS!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

Glebee wrote: »
    Spurs are just going to **** it all up. You know it's coming lads. Please let me be wrong.

Oh my god I'll never stop dancing if we somehow pull it out of the bag.

I'll still be delighted with 4th and hope the CL final goes our way. I'll take any win we can tomorrow....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

And now I don't know what to make of tomorrow. City v Newcastle is kicking off half an hour earlier than us.

Assuming we even get a point

City win = guaranteed we beat Newcastle (leaving just Chelsea the slimmest of chances to get into 4th ahead of us)

But a Newcastle win leaves the tantalising prospect of Arsenal finishing 5th. However their win means we have to win ourselves or else it would be us heading for 5th.

Total mind**** that.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭-gilly-09-

So many different things can happen, its mental. It up to us now which makes a huge difference. Added pressure aswell. Such a mad end ot the season. We could be fifth or third as arsenal could, never mind Newcastle. Love it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

Simple for me. 2 wins and we finish 3rd. I thought id never say this , then i'll be roaring on chelski in 2 weeks time...some crack to see our noisy neighbours miss out on champo league

• Registered Users Posts: 9,681 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

How on earth have we found ourselves in this position again? How many more 2nd chances will we going to get? I cant believe it. Im giddy with excitment. We might actually do the unthinkable. We might jusy fookin do it. COYS!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,681 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

How on earth have we found ourselves in this position again? How many more 2nd chances will we going to get? I cant believe it. Im giddy with excitment. We might actually do the unthinkable. We might just fookin do it. COYS!

Pppffftt.
    Who'd be a spurs fan.
    No time to panic just yet.
    Its in the hands of the gods now.

I can live with 4th and relying on bayern but finishing behind arsenal just blows np matter how things play out.

Chelski losing to Liverpool. That would put them out of 3rd / 4th place race. :)

And since posting that Pool scored 2 more - 3-0 now. Happy days. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭bradolf pittler

4-1 to king kennys mighty merseysiders.......so it looks like we're def gonna playing lots of mid-week games next season.heres hoping its tues/wed nights and not thursdays

Don't think it makes a difference.

If we finish 5th, Chelsea 6th and they win the Champions League we're out of Europe full stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭Tesco Mobile: Paul

Don't think it makes a difference.

If we finish 5th, Chelsea 6th and they win the Champions League we're out of Europe full stop.

No, the European place is guaranteed its just whether its CL or EL depends on Chelsea V BM

No, the European place is guaranteed its just whether its CL or EL depends on Chelsea V BM

Is it not the case that the 4th place team who lose the CL spot (in the case of a Chelsea win) take the EL place that was allocated to 5th ? Are you saying an extra EL spot is given to the Premier League ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Lets just hope we'll be watching Spurs midweek European matches on RTE2/TV3 as opposed to 3e ;)

In we were to finish 5th and Chelsea won the CL we wouldn't qualify for any European competition and Newcastle would get the EL spot for finishing 4th.

And maybe Cardiff would get Liverpools Carling Cup EL spot because Liverpool would get Chelsea's FA Cup EL spot??

Now I'm confused.

In we were to finish 5th and Chelsea won the CL we wouldn't qualify for any European competition and Newcastle would get the EL spot for finishing 4th.

That's my understanding of it.

And maybe Cardiff would get Liverpools Carling Cup EL spot because Liverpool would get Chelsea's FA Cup EL spot??

That may well be where the EL spot comes from for the displaced 5th place team actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,851 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

If Chelsea win the CL, the fifth place team will be given the EL place reserved for the winner of the FA cup surely?

we are now guaranteed to finish at least 5th in the league which gives us a place in the europa league no matter if chelsea beat munich or not.
    if we finish 4th then chelsea must beat munich to take the CL spot from us,if they dont then they go into the europa league as FA cup winners and newcastle take the other EL spot as 5th place quailifiers.

• Advertisement

we are now guaranteed to finish at least 5th in the league which gives us a place in the europa league no matter if chelsea beat munich or not.
    if we finish 4th then chelsea must beat munich to take the CL spot from us,if they dont then they go into the europa league as FA cup winners and newcastle take the other EL spot as 5th place quailifiers.

That's only half of the equation though. In both scenarios above we finish 4th. If though we finish 5th (Newcastle getting 4th) and Chelsea win the champions league they knock Newcastle out of the champions league spot. My question then is since Newcastle who would have been given the 4th CL spot are given a EL spot instead where does that spot come from.

If it comes from the 5th place premier league side that's us out.

If Chelsea don't take the EL spot as FA cup winners it could go to the displaced 5th spot team (us in that scenario) OR to the runners up of the FA cup which would be Liverpool.

In that case their carling cup winners place in the EL could go to the beaten finalists Cardiff or again to the displaced 5th place team.

There's a lot of variables there and there is a scenario where the 5th place team misses out on Europe.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

All of the above is pointless lads...we're going to finish 3rd :P

That's only half of the equation though. In both scenarios above we finish 4th. If though we finish 5th (Newcastle getting 4th) and Chelsea win the champions league they knock Newcastle out of the champions league spot. My question then is since Newcastle who would have been given the 4th CL spot are given a EL spot instead where does that spot come from.

If it comes from the 5th place premier league side that's us out.

If Chelsea don't take the EL spot as FA cup winners it could go to the displaced 5th spot team (us in that scenario) OR to the runners up of the FA cup which would be Liverpool.

In that case their carling cup winners place in the EL could go to the beaten finalists Cardiff or again to the displaced 5th place team.

There's a lot of variables there and there is a scenario where the 5th place team misses out on Europe.

If we finish 5th we are guaranteed europa lg because if chelsea lose to bayern newcastle get the CL spot,chelsea get europa lg as FA cup winners,liverpool have already qualified as carling cup winners so the last remaining place will go to the highest placed team=5th.
    if chelsea win the CL and we finish 5th we are still guaranteed europa lg as newcastle drop out to europa,chelsea give up their place as FA cup winners and that place goes to the next placed team=5th
    cardiff cannot qualify because only the carling cup winners get a european place.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭golfball37

Only the FA cup runners up can get a Europa League place, not the Carling Cup runners up. Stoke for example last year.

As Liverpool [FA Cup Runners up] are already in Europe via the Carling Cup an extra leage place becomes available. Had any team outside the top 3 or Liverpool lost the FA cup final they would be in Europe instead of us or Newcastle.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

There is a story about DiMatteo testing rookie CB's because niether cahill or Luiz or 100% gauranteed to make it against Bayern.

If Bayern don't win, that surely would be ridiculous?

Gooners gone 1 up :(

Gooners gone 1 up :(

Marton Fulop howler!

2-1 TO West Brom

At the moment we're winning the race for 3rd :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

2-1 TO West Brom

At the moment we're winning the race for 3rd :)

2-2 arsena:(l game & newcastle loosing 2nil at everton;)

Advertisement