Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pronunciations that drive you mad

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,793 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

hcass wrote: »
    Nearly everyone I know says Filum instead of film. Its rare you meet someone that says it correctly.

And pattren instead of pattern.

Fillum is a dialect pronounciation, and not just in Ireland.

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/archive/index.php/t-318599.html

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭thecornflake

Tattoo, not tah-ewww.

Scum bags, if you insist on naming your spawn after things and people you see on the television then, it's not pronounced Rihanna, it's pronounced filthy dirty untalented cow.

That is all for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Winda (window) sangwidge (sandwich)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,100 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

I hate hearing anyone adding a H to assume.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

Abi wrote: »
    I remember the first time I heard it being pronounced this way, and having asked him to repeat it several times because I couldn't understand him, I got him to spell it. I couldn't believe it. This is the same fúcking twat that told me when I used 'audacity' in a sentence that I had made the word up.

I don't want to live on this planet anymore..

Serious cachinnations at that. The correct word is cachinnations not 'lol'.

When people say 'toy-leh'. It's toilet you peon. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭earlyevening

Excape for escape.

Threadmill for treadmill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Girls from Tipp who head to UCD and by the time they come back home at Christmas they have an American accent

How :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

People who pronounce "racist" as ray-shist. They're usually right-on lefty types who are trying to sound sophisticated, but surely that pronunciation is just wrong?

Also, I hate the word "lookit". It's the sort of word you hear people like Beeertie Aheeern using all the time whenever they're frustrated with lesser mortals contradicting them or asking awkward questions. "Lookit, it was just a dig-out from some friends!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

lazernuts wrote: »
    Matt Cooper also says 'Eggs Cetera'. It's 'Et' for chrissake !!!!

Could write a book on Matt Coopers 'interesting' pronunciations :))

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭BarnhallBull

Mispronouncing schedule as Skedule

Dragging out the word boss as bawwwwwws

Also, not a pronunciation thing, but people (Dubs mainly) who put the word but at the end of a sentence when trying to make a point about something...

Me: "I didn't enjoy that match at all"

Idiot: "The atmosphere was pretty good, but"

BUT WHAT!?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

PandaX9 wrote: »
    Nothing worse than con-TROV-a-see instead of controversy.

And priv-ih-see instead of pri-va-see. I mean, you wouldn't normally say prov-et instead of pri-vate so I don't understand people who can say private but not privacy..

That just sounds like foreigner logic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Davidson2k9

I hate when you pronounce 'Gullible' really slow, it sounds like 'Orange'.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Modren.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Windy for window. Also Winda
    The colour yella.
    Torkey dinner.
    Atein' ma dinnur.

Does anyone here pronounce Lager correctly? I tried it once and either sound Australian or Plymouth, England.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

'eye-talian' instead of 'it-talian'

Gbear wrote: »
    Modren.

Modherden!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Gbear wrote: »
    Modren.

Is that modern, Mothering or murdering?

"I'm trying to moder my kids"
    "You're trying to murder your kids"
    "No, I'm trying to be a moder to them"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭Rocky_Dennis

Calling a lollipop "lullipup"

I will "follie" you instead of I will follow you.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

In terms of foreign placenames, the convention is that you should pronounce foreign nouns in your own language, so it's appropriate for an English person to say "Port-oh-Prince" rather than "porr-o-prance". In exactly the same way that a French person would say "Doob-lan" rather than Dublin.
    Broadcasters often make this mistake as they try to show off their broad worldliness by pronouncing placenames in the local dialect. But it's wrong.

People's names however should be pronounced in their local (or chosen) language. So Sarkozy should be pronounced in your best French. However, the bad French accent is optional, you can do French without the accent. Again, broadcasters tend to forget this and bizarrely switch to a French accent in the middle of an English sentence.

New one I heard yesterday was "opingins" instead of "opinions". What is it with culchies throwing "ng"s into words where it's not even easy to make that mistake - Hang Sangwich. WTF is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

Sindri wrote: »
    When people say 'toy-leh'. It's toilet you peon. :mad:

Even worse is "tie-leh".
    My brother says it all the time now cause he knows it drives me mental!

People in primary school used to say "I have to go to me toileh". What, do you own the toilet now? :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Even worse is "tie-leh".

It's like listening to nails scraping down a blackboard. I think it takes extra effort to draw the word out like that, so I don't get it. Missing 'T's where they are supposed to be pronounced is one of my biggest peeves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Tree-ah-tee for treaty...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

Plazaman wrote: »
    Million is not Millen

The A to Z is not Ah to Zed

If you want to be specific, please do so but don't be Pacific

If there is an obstacle in your way, calling it an oxtable will not help

Off course I've often mispronounced things myself. Only recently when trying to ask my ex-girlfriend "Would you like to go out for dinner tonight dear?", I mispronounced it to sound like "You've ruined my life you manipulative bítch".

So is it a Zebra or a Zeebra?

Zed is acceptable in British English.
    In most dialects of English, the letter's name is zed /ˈzɛd/, reflecting its derivation from the Greek zeta, but in American English, its name is zee /ˈziː/, deriving from a late 17th century English dialectal form

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Z
    As usual in most of these matters, it's we the people of the US that changed it, not the other way around. "Zed" comes from the original Greek zeta via Old French zede, and pretty much all English speakers worldwide pronounce it that way.

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/1632/why-do-the-british-pronounced-the-letter-z-zed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭Rastapitts

Saoirse!

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭dpe

Rastapitts wrote: »
    Saoirse!

What about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Funnyonion79

I shouldn't of told him

instead of: I shouldn't have told him

I also hate when people say that they are so unorganised. Should it not be disorganised?

Also, what is it with people writing the word loose when they mean lose as in "where did you loose it?" This is unbelievably common.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

not really a pronounciation but I hate when people say 'euros' instead of 'euro' for the plural.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Gor-dee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

LordSutch wrote: »
    Do you still say Heigth?

Sadly, yes.

IMO, heightH makes more sense than throatH. At least there's a 'th' at the end so you can see how people might grow up thinking it's 'th' but throat just has a 't' at the end. :confused:

• Advertisement

not really a pronounciation but I hate when people say 'euros' instead of 'euro' for the plural.

I say euros and cents. In English we add an -s to form the plural, so it makes perfect sense to do so.

When the euro was introduced, some "barmy eurocrat" decided that the noun was invariable because it had to be the same in all languages, yet they have no problem with the Greeks even putting the word "leptá" for cents on the back of their coins.

A massive double-standard and a ridiculous arbitrary rule!

Advertisement