Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First trip-what ship?

Options
  • 27-02-2012 2:43pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Coaster-- Daunt Rock

Deep sea--Irish Rowan

Back in the stone age from what I see on another thread here;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

First and only vessel was a delivery job

MV Peggy a Suppy boat from Gibraltar to Rastanora

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

naval vessel L.E. Aisling for a patrol off the coast as a member of naval service reserve

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭skipz

The late MFV Treshell, prawn trawler and later razor boat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Mickey Dazzler

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

naval vessel L.E. Aisling for a patrol off the coast as a member of naval service reserve

Likewise but on the Eithne

• Advertisement

Simona1986 wrote: »
    Likewise but on the Eithne
    was on eithne twice

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭alphasully

S.S. British Trader, a LNG Carrier, as Cadet.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

M/T Regal Unity.

Some of the stats:
    DWT: 309,892
    LOA: 329.77
    Crude capacity - 2,168,364 bbls
    Engine - 31,190 BHP

Big photo of her here
    http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs13/f/2007/046/1/4/VLCC___REGAL_UNITY___by_sspalato.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭skipz

Wow Tabnabs, thats a big tanker for a first ship!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

five months, didn't get ashore once :( The poor Filipinos did 12-15 month contracts :eek: She was just too big to get in anywhere.

Paid off by Sikorsky S 61 helicopter into Cape Town at 3am, certainly the most memorable way to pay off a ship. We had the channels for about the last quarter of the entire trip...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

MFV Seafire
    Substantially different to when she was a Sidewinder working on this side of the world.
    Brutal introduction to commercial fishing, 40+ hrs on deck!

Tabnabs wrote: »
    would ya look at the bridge wings on that!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭the scrote

first trip coastal M.V Dunany
    deep sea rfa bayleaf

would ya look at the bridge wings on that!!!

Doing azimuths on the bridge wing repeaters, it took 30 seconds to get back to the GPS to log the time! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 44 fluffysierra

Coaster: R.V. Celtic Explorer

Deep Sea: M.V. British Curlew

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Brendain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

A ferry from Belfast to Scotland at the age of 3 or 4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Sindri wrote: »
    A ferry from Belfast to Scotland at the age of 3 or 4.

****ing Irish Ferries and their child labour. Typical

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

mv clanggula [british and continental] liverpool-ireland-guernsey a small coastal vessel in 1957,next was the mv salacia [donaldson ] falmouth -montreal[summer] st johns ,halifax ,[winter] she was a old liberty ship left from the war years,and still had a granade thrower [pipe with a spring in it] aft,good fun at night fireing spuds at the bridge,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

LiamoSail wrote: »
    ****ing Irish Ferries and their child labour. Typical

least it was Irish child labour in them days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Bligh

MFV Twlight Star fishing for yans :)

Last ship Putford Artemis in the North Sea

Cool to find a Maritime Thread on boards :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭long range shooter

PSV North Truck North sea.
    Cruiseliner Seaborn Spirit world wide.

Bligh wrote: »
    MFV Twlight Star fishing for yans :)

Last ship Putford Artemis in the North Sea

Cool to find a Maritime Thread on boards :)

Is there a fella called Brewster still working for that outfit?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

the last ships i sailed were anything but happy,i was chief steward on the manchester spinner,i had just got engaged and was out for two months up the great lakes [canada] most of the crew were far younger or older than me[i was 26 ] so i had very little in common ,as i was looking forward for 10 days of debauchery as we entered the locks on the ship canal,the manchester miller was waiting to go out,the chief steward had taken sick and in those days a british ship had to have a someone on who had a BOT cooks cert,the cook hadent got one so it had been decided that muggins would have to transfer to her,as i was a companies man i did not have much choice, [all manchester liners carried up to 12 passengers cabin class] the paper work was ready,so off i went again,no one bothered to let my loved ones know what had happened untill i sent them a cable a day later[this was in the late 60s],when back home i gave all up,never did marry that girl

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭stevie06

First Ship was British Curlew.

First run ashore was Brisbane!

happy days!

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Bligh

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Is there a fella called Brewster still working for that outfit?

I have no idea, I left the ship and the company in December 1999, a mate of mine worked as a watch officer with them last year, I will ask him when he is home next trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

First ship was the OOCL Bravery **

First run ashore was Montreal

Supposedly it was a bastardised design - the keel was laid as an steam driven oil tanker and it was converted to a engine driven box-boat. I left friggin' chunks of me behind on that thing and had to get off after 20 days, my first proper trip was on the OOCL Canada

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭ruserious

LÉ Emer as a young sluggie.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭hytrogen

STV Jeanie Johnston back in 2007 before she got laid up in Dublin. Absolutely mad craic aboard the whole time. Went Dublin - Isle of man a few times, Dun Laoghaire for a crazy 50th then onto Bristol for the maritime festival for the week, epic banter there. was tied up alongside the STV Matthew & STV Cascelotte (if memory serves me right) every night on the tear with the lads & they'd bring over their home brewed ale which was far better than the sewage water ya normally get for ale over there. P/O in Cork eventually..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 opawaman

The Seafire or Boston seafire as originally known ended up owned by Sealords of Nelson NZ.

Advertisement