Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert '11/'12 Off-Topic 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭ConTheCat

Irish oral at some stage tomorrow and I've looked at 6 picture stories that I already knew! Hopeless case :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

I hate double posting but i've got a question for ye guys regarding the Comparative. So I did my first GV+V Essay for my Teacher the other day, it got 56/70 which just isn't good enough considering I need an A1/A2. All together, it 6.5 pages in length. It was the Multiple part essay question (A+B). My essay was broken down like this:

30 Marks (A)- 3 pages
    • Explain GV+V
    • Named my first text
    • Discussed Opening of first text
    • Discussed how Relationships affect the Viewpoint
    • Discussed how Society affects General Vision and Viewpoint
    • Discussed how ending of the text affected Viewpoint
    • Conclusion

40 Marks (B)- 3.5 pages
    • Named 2 other texts
    • Discussed opening of texts and how if affected GV+V
    • Discussed relationships and how it affected GV+V
    • Discussed Society in two texts and how it affected GV+V

There's a total of 11 comparisons in the essay. Can anyone give me any advice as to how to bump my marks up to maybe 65? There is two spelling mistakes in the essay also if that matters! Thanks :pac:

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

Only thing I can say since my comparatives arent exactly common is that rather than make lots of comparisons between society/relationships, maybe find more aspects? For my 30m parts I talk about poverty, child abuse, murder, implied rape, child slavery and murder, greed and I think thats it. (Cheery, I know :pac:)
    They might fit more compactly under headings like you have anyway though, I dunno...which scores higher? I got 65/70 in my mock for it and I think I lost more marks on the actual comparing in part b, so I'd say its easier to improve the A bit :)

Patchy~ wrote: »
    Only thing I can say since my comparatives arent exactly common is that rather than make lots of comparisons between society/relationships, maybe find more aspects? For my 30m parts I talk about poverty, child abuse, murder, implied rape, child slavery and murder, greed and I think thats it. (Cheery, I know :pac:)
    They might fit more compactly under headings like you have anyway though, I dunno...which scores higher? I got 65/70 in my mock for it and I think I lost more marks on the actual comparing in part b, so I'd say its easier to improve the A bit :)

I got 23/30 for Part A- 77%

I got 33/40 for Part B- 82.5%

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

And those issues are common to all of your texts?? I find it hard enough finding any common ground between my texts!

• Advertisement

Eathrin wrote: »
    And those issues are common to all of your texts?? I find it hard enough finding any common ground between my texts!
    Me too! :O

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Just looking at a sample oral transcript there, do you have to justify not bringing in a document? Like there's a massive spiel about how the person couldn't find anything suitable and would prefer a more spontaneous conversation, I just thought it'd be 'Je n'ai pas apporté un document'

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

The way I always structured my essay was the comparison of the beginning and ending of the texts as well as one other significant scene with reference to the Theme/GVV.

Namlub wrote: »
    Just looking at a sample oral transcript there, do you have to justify not bringing in a document? Like there's a massive spiel about how the person couldn't find anything suitable and would prefer a more spontaneous conversation, I just thought it'd be 'Je n'ai pas apporté un document'
    Only a couple of people in my Year brought in a document, there's no problem if you don't, IMO the examiners prefer if students don't have a document. They weren't asked why they didn't have one or anything!

I got 23/30 for Part A- 77%

I got 33/40 for Part B- 82.5%
    Then for part A I'd suggest finding one other reason why the GV+V was nice/not nice and just talk about it a bit :) It doesnt need to relate to the other 2 since its stand alone anyway :D but tbh 6.5 is loads, maybe your teacher is just being stingy with marks!
    For part B I'd suggest the same but its a bit difficult to make up more comparisons - have you included key moments?
    Haha yup, theyre The Kite Runner, The Constant Gardener and Purple Hibiscus. Theres religion in two and none in CG (which is why its standalone or contrast at best) but KR and PH have child abuse, abuse of women, affluence in a world of poverty, Taliban in KR and a military coup in PH cause chaos and ruin Afghanistan/Nigeria while theres a comparison between the parents and the aunts/other relations. They actually fit crazily well, my teacher is a genius :D:D
    Namlub wrote: »
    ...I dont think you need to explain it really. :eek: I'm probably gonna stick to "Je n'en ai pas besoin" :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

Just remembered that my French examiner asked me what I thought the differences were between Ireland and France... Right after I'd told her I'd never been to France. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭AlmightyDublin

So anybody else doing their German Oral tomorrow?
    Only thing I can do now is revise and wait :D

And good luck to everyone doing orals and practicals :D

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

I may have had a panic attack during my oral yesterday. I often get them, but this was right in the middle of it. ARGH!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

My school is so relaxed where discipline is concerned! My Oral was at 3.15 and I didn't go into one class that day! I stayed in the Language Lab for 6 hours studying for French :pac: . The principal came in and was like 'what are you doing here?' I just told her I was studying and she walked away! :p we did our Oral in the Office so we just sat outside there! Was great! Me and my Friend had a good laugh before we went in so we were super relaxed going in!

One of the girls started crying when she came out, a girl in my year told her to 'shut the fcuk up' and move along :L
    I don't really think that's funny, it's actually really insensitive and horrible.
    Wow I'm surprised at all the people saying they had others in their schools crying after and hyperventilating before the orals:eek:
    It's been so "meh" in my school nobody freaking out.

For the A1 hopefuls:) Coeur and Chuco etc.. I'm sure you did much better than you thought. After all it is only a 15 minute exam which is really not enough at all to show off your grasp of the language. That's something that annoys me hugely and would be one of the first things I'd change if I was in charge. Poor students can bullshít through 15 minutes and at the same time strong students can't show their fluency. Ridiculous if you ask me.
    Thanks! I hope so too, it's so, so sickening. Like I know that there are students in my French class who may have done as well as me in the oral just from learning off loads of stuff, whereas I'm much better at French than they are.
    Not gonna complain about that for Irish though! :pac: I spent SEVEN HOURS today writing up notes on all the topics and the first 6 pictures! Hoping to bluff my way to a B1/A2 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Was anyone else's French Oral examiner slightly unfocused? Mine told us at the start she was sick, but she seemed ridiculously unfocused throughout my Oral. I used the subjunctive 4/5 times and she never took note of it, she never made any notes throughout the exam, at one stage she said in English 'i'm after forgetting my question and paused for about 20 seconds'. She asked me about Sport and the Olympics twice (once at the start and towards the end). She did this for a number of people also? At the end she asked me what a couple of words I had said meant époustouflant and trilogié (as in a trilogy of books like :rolleyes:). Also she kept me talking for over 16 minutes before she realised how long I had been talking for She didn't seem to want to talk about the documents at all either? I think I gave a very good performance, I answered everything fully to my potential and my accent and intonation were good and all, I sounded natural and was communicating well, I just hope she gave me a fair mark! :eek:

Mine was a bit weird as well, I'd answer as much as I could on a basic quesiton and then she'd just look at me and pause for ages, like how much do you want me to say about like breakfast or whatever it was. It was so strange, in the mock once I'd said enough she'd just ask a new question :S

Also, in terms of the comparitive, according to my teacher you need min 20 comparisons to get a high mark. The thing I found was that its really hard to make comparisons about GV+V, as you have to do so much explaining. Theme and literary genre I found much easier to ram as many comparisons in as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

I don't really think that's funny, it's actually really insensitive and horrible.

Agreed, imagine if someone said that to you :/

I know where your coming from, but I think it was equally as insensitive for her to stand there crying about how awful it was and how no-one would do well when there was 5-6 people sitting there anxiously as well? Fair enough she may have been disappointed, but you have to give everyone else a chance too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Siobhnk

I know where your coming from, but I think it was equally as insensitive for her to stand there crying about how awful it was and how no-one would do well when there was 5-6 people sitting there anxiously as well? Fair enough she may have been disappointed, but you have to give everyone else a chance too.

Unless it went terrible for her, like beyond disappointment and/or she's very sensitive. Okay she shouldn't have stood there, she could have gone to the bathroom, but that other girl had no right to tell her to shut the fcuk up, it couldn't have made things better :/ if I was upset and someone told me that I'd probably cry harder.

Btw why was there 5/6 people waiting? Did ye have 2 examiners? Only 2 were allowed wait outside for ours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

Did she actually say that nobody would do well though or are you trying to justify it, because that's kind of a retarded thing for someone to say just because they had done badly.
    Even though she was making everyone else feel more anxious, the girl who said that to her still sounds like an absolute bitch. I think people have to realise that they're not the only ones who care about the leaving cert, it's important to most people. That girl could have done hours upon hours of study and just blanked when she went in there. I think ye need to be a bit more empathetic, if my oral went horrendously I'd likely start crying when I came out too, and I'm quite unemotional!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

I can see that side of the argument and I agree with it, but it could be done in a far less crude and more sensitive manner than "shut the fúck up."

min 20 comparisons?! :eek: That sounds way too high, especially considering you cant make any in the A part. 20 in the B part would mean one for two marks each...you would get marks for explaining the story then making the comparison I'm pretty sure. It gets me high marks anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

min 20 comparisons?! :eek: That sounds way too high, especially considering you cant make any in the A part. 20 in the B part would mean one for two marks each...you would get marks for explaining the story then making the comparison I'm pretty sure. It gets me high marks anyway.

you doooon't need 20 comparisons, around half that is plenty!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

OMG YES! Irish done :D So happy just to have it finished :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

I'm thinking I might stay in the study area during some of my classes and might just go in for English and Maths. I have the geography course complete from last year the teacher I have now is very behind, we don't get a lot done. French we read the textbook and don't do the exam papers. Economics I might go in for some but I get more covered on my own.

I want to study but I'm way too tired :(

Omg I got 98 in my short story :D
    Lost 2 marks coz my teacher said I misused 'coruscate', he'd just never heard it used to mean 'sparkling' which is really weird since I had trouble finding its other meaning - coruscating criticism? :pac:
    So I looked it up on my phone and told him and asked if I now have 100/100 but he said no :P
    Either way I am sooo happy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

Siobhnk wrote: »
    I want to study but I'm way too tired :(

Same , I'm always tired after school most days . It's so much harder trying to study after a day at school it's easier when you not at school. I'll probably try later to do some.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

Patchy why can't you just use normal words like the rest of us?? :P

• Advertisement

Same , I'm always tired after school most days . It's so much harder trying to study after a day at school it's easier when you not at school. I'll probably try later to do some.

I have good intentions but I need sleep :( part of the fact is I haven't been able to sleep until 2 at night due to stress/worry/personal reasons, but even still before all that I was shattered anyways :/ when we have days off I get so much done!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement