Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭chippers

Marshall is looking very sharp

• Registered Users Posts: 5,914 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Wanneburg gets the try anyhow.

Macklin and McAllister holding the scrum together better than any other "prop kids" we've seen this season in Ireland.

Imagine how good MacAllister and Macklin will be when they are old enough to shave.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

That Italian blindside was pulling away at macklins bind and he still managed to destroy perugini.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,217 ✭✭✭ongarite

Marshall has been pure class, he is gonna cause trouble next week.

Marshall and Tuohy in last 60 seconds showed why DK and his conservative ****e hurts everything to do with Irish rugby

When it doesn't work, its so frustrating to watch, but st least it's positive.

• Advertisement

Credit to Aironi for giving it a go after the 80th minute.

That's class

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Full time 45-7

Wallace gets MotM deservedly.

Can only beat whats in front of you and Ulster did it impressively.

If only Paddy Wallace was Irish...

If only Paddy Wallace was Irish...

Nah! Apparently he can't run, tackle, pass, kick or score tries. He should have gone to Leinster or Munster where all those problems would have disappeared.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

Looking forward to the midfield battle next weekend, Wallace looks easily the best 12 in Ireland atm, from what I saw he was excellent last week too.

Wannenburg was my MOTM, Macklin has impressed me whenever I've seen him, looks very powerful, still learning so will probably take his fair share of beatings but in the long term looks a good prospect. Hopefully he gets a nice bit of gametime next season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

jacothelad wrote: »
    Nah! Apparently he can't run, tackle, pass, kick or score tries. He should have gone to Leinster or Munster where all those problems would have disappeared.
    To be fair, he did get a run in the side under Kidney and finished every game/was taken off looking like he'd gone a dozen rounds with George Foreman. Aironi probably aren't the most testing side to play against.

It's sad that Marshall didn't get his chance against England though.

To be fair, he did get a run in the side under Kidney and finished every game/was taken off looking like he'd gone a dozen rounds with George Foreman. Aironi probably aren't the most testing side to play against.

You are thinking if his facial injury against France. If his skin was made of titanium, like... other Irish centers, I'm sure he would have been able to stop himself being cut shreds.

He is a great defender, and some people suggest he's poor. It's nuts. He's just light so people jump to the criticism.

You are thinking if his facial injury against France. If his skin was made of titanium, like... other Irish centers, I'm sure he would have been able to stop himself being cut shreds.

He is a great defender, and some people suggest he's poor. It's nuts. He's just light so people jump to the criticism.

Whatever peoples opinion on his defence its a moot point anyway as none of the other contenders for the jersey excel in that area either.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Balanced analysis, good commentary and an anchorman that actually knows a thing or two about his sport...

Ryan Constable is the agent of a lot of the Ulster players.

shuffol wrote: »
    Whatever peoples opinion on his defence its a moot point anyway as none of the other contenders for the jersey excel in that area either.
    Right, but then he's up against Earls, Fitz and company who are - what - 8 or 9 years younger? And Fitz's defence is pretty good.

Right, but then he's up against Earls, Fitz and company who are - what - 8 or 9 years younger? And Fitz's defence is pretty good.

He's not up against Earls for the 12 jersey and as much as I'd love it to be the case Fitz wont be considered there either. I was referring to Mcfadden and D'arcy specifically.

It annoys me because he's a very strong defender for the type of player he is. Certainly a country mile better than a certain out half who is currently playing at above international standard. And comparing him with McFadden as a 12 is laughable for me, he is miles closer to international standard.

Anyway the international period is over. I don't even want to think about the disgraceful state of our international selection policy any more. I'm happy that we'll see lots of great Irish rugby players in the heineken cup next weekend, go us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

The Aironi try was very soft and Ulster looked a little bit loose in defence at times but it was a comprehensive victory.

Marshall looked brilliant, that quick tap and kick in behind would of been one of the try's of the season if he'd scored it. It was probably a good game before the Munster match as well, to hockey a team of the pitch, particularly if Munster lose tomorrow, it could be great for Ulster's confidence.

It annoys me because he's a very strong defender for the type of player he is. Certainly a country mile better than a certain out half who is currently playing at above international standard. And comparing him with McFadden as a 12 is laughable for me, he is miles closer to international standard.

Anyway the international period is over. I don't even want to think about the disgraceful state of our international selection policy any more. I'm happy that we'll see lots of great Irish rugby players in the heineken cup next weekend, go us.

The international situation just adds spice to next weeks game, there's a lot of Ulster players who I'm sure would feel they've a point to prove. Tuohy, Henry, Marshall, Wallace, Cave. I'd almost like to see Ulster win just so the media might actually sit up and take notice of some of the players playing up there.

• Advertisement

He's not up against Earls for the 12 jersey and as much as I'd love it to be the case Fitz wont be considered there either. I was referring to Mcfadden and D'arcy specifically.
    McFadden's defence is better than Wallace's, and D'Arcy's defence, until recently, was excellent.

McFadden's defence is better than Wallace's, and D'Arcy's defence, until recently, was excellent.

McFadden is the weakest defender of the lot. He's had trouble with his defense for a while now.

McFadden is the weakest defender of the lot. He's had trouble with his defense for a while now.
    Ok, without getting into a he said/she said, we'll have to agree to differ on that one.

Anyway, Ulster look in good shape going into the quarter final.

I was being a bit mischievous. He is a better player than many give credit but while having different skills, Paddy was not as good at 12 as Darcy in his prime. He is far superior now but he is 32.
    Ryan Constable is the agent of a lot of the Ulster players.

True but that doesn't stop him being an intelligent, literate, personable and knowledgeable ex-International player of considerable talent.....albeit naturally leaning towards his ex-team mates whom he served very well as a player. A bit like Frankie......Lenihan
    ....feck it.

Ferris may now be a doubt for the Munster game according to the Ulster web site and McLaughlin. Ankle ligament damage. Cave also went off and Ulster ended with only 14 players on the pitch. B%gger it

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

He is a technically excellent defender (good tackler) who often gets caught out of position when played out of position (13)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Ferris may now be a doubt for the Munster game according to the Ulster web site and McLaughlin. Cave also went off and Ulster ended with only 14 players on the pitch. B%gger it

Paddy Wallace said it hurt his ankle and that's why he came off. So at least it's not his knees anyway!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

He is a technically excellent defender (good tackler) who often gets caught out of position when played out of position (13)

13 is his position though, or it used to be before he broke through.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Ferris may now be a doubt for the Munster game according to the Ulster web site and McLaughlin. Cave also went off and Ulster ended with only 14 players on the pitch. B%gger it

I don't like seeing injuries to anyone (especially someone like Ferris with a proven injury record :eek::() but if he misses the game that would be a huge blow to Ulster...might even things up a bit if POC and Ryan happen to miss the game.

• Advertisement

No he isn't. He is a technically poor tackler. That is his fault. He has so many tackles broken. That miss on North had nothing to do with positioning, it was all poor technique. Footwork, body poisitoning, all wrong. He is a poor defender, fairly simply. He was moved to 12 from 13 because he was getting beaten in defense and you can support that sort of player at 12 (and not at 13 at all). That's why he doesn't play 13 any moire, nothing to do with his positioning...

In fact his positioning is fine at 13. Not a problem. He was very good positionally against Wales as far as I'm concerned.

I think McFadden is a very good player by the way. I think he's a great attacking 12, but I have my doubts over whether he's the long-term answer for Ireland or even Leinster at this stage.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement