Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

upc hd set top box

Options
  • 15-03-2012 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

Is it possible to buy one of these New or secondhand? Have standard box at the moment. I do not want HD subscription of 5 euro a month to upgrade. Just want box to pick up rte 2 HD. Will my subscription work with any box or is my card mapped to my current one?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

Is it possible to buy one of these New or secondhand? Have standard box at the moment. I do not want HD subscription of 5 euro a month to upgrade. Just want box to pick up rte 2 HD. Will my subscription work with any box or is my card mapped to my current one?

Nope you cant buy them you need to get a HD ready box from UPC,
    But you dont have to pay the 5e subscription for RTE2 HD as long as your box is HD capable it will be free, So you would have to ask UPC to swap out your box ( probably a cost to do this ??? )

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭michaelduignan

campo wrote: »
    But you dont have to pay the 5e subscription for RTE2 HD as long as your box is HD capable it will be free, So you would have to ask UPC to swap out your box ( probably a cost to do this ??? )

Thanks for you reply, yeah i have been discussing this with them on their online chat but they are not very helpful. The people i have dealt were all telling me the only way to get a box would be to take out the 12 month HD subscription. I could do that and break the contract - it would cost €105 euro to do this. - but staff i spoke to said they couldn't guarantee i would still receive RTE2 HD when on the bog standard package. Can anybody confirm RTE2 HD is free on Digital Value + subscription (as long as you have a HD box)?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Will UPC give out a HD box without a HD subscription? I dont see why they would to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

djimi wrote: »
    Will UPC give out a HD box without a HD subscription? I dont see why they would to be honest.

I think some of their newer boxes are HD ready where basically you dont pay the 5e subscription but you can ring them and ask to turn on the HD channels and then pay the 5e subscription cost a month

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭michaelduignan

I think some of their newer boxes are HD ready where basically you dont pay the 5e subscription but you can ring them and ask to turn on the HD channels and then pay the 5e subscription cost a month

I only joined UPC in February on standard package. Was only given a standard box - only possible connection is with a SCART lead.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

UPC cannot charge you for RTE2HD.

They have obligations under must carry. If your existing equipment cant receive RTE2HD ask UPC why that is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ps33369

I think the question posed by STB is key. They cannot charge you to get RTE2 HD under the 'must carry' rules so I would assume that they will have no choice but to replace the SD boxes with new boxes that are HD enabled.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

I think the "must carry" rule only implies that UPC must provide the channel. This is not the same as every customer must receive the channel.

pippip wrote: »
    I think the "must carry" rule only implies that UPC must provide the channel. This is not the same as every customer must receive the channel.

Every customer must receive the channel at no extra cost.

Must Offer = Must Carry at no extra cost AFAIK

Perhaps I have been reading the countless threads about trying to sign up people with some contractual HD boxes via multiroom for RTE2HD and misinterpreting Section 77 of the legislation, wrongly.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭liamcu

Thanks for you reply, yeah i have been discussing this with them on their online chat but they are not very helpful. The people i have dealt were all telling me the only way to get a box would be to take out the 12 month HD subscription. I could do that and break the contract - it would cost €105 euro to do this. - but staff i spoke to said they couldn't guarantee i would still receive RTE2 HD when on the bog standard package. Can anybody confirm RTE2 HD is free on Digital Value + subscription (as long as you have a HD box)?

I have a HD box and downgraded recently to the Digital Value+ tv package (without HD sibscription) and was able to view RTE2 HD until the weekend. A "loss of signal" page is now displayed for this channel. Curiously, the same message is displayed for BBC HD and BBC1 HD but for all other HD channels, an "access denied" message is displayed.

Contacted UPC and went through the motions of resetting box etc. but to no avail.

Have been given several conflicting reasons by UPC as to why RTE2 HD is unavailable from " there's a problem with it at the moment" to "there was a problem with it but there isn't now" to " you need a HD subscription."

If anyone reading this doesn't have a HD subscription but had a HD box and can view RTE2 HD, could they post here?

Liam

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Virgin Media: Jason

Liam

I can confirm once again that anybody that has a HD box from UPC, with or without a HD subscription will get RTE2HD free of charge from UPC

If you have a standard definition box you will get standard definition RTE2

If you have an error message then Please log a call with our technical support team and we will resolve it

Thanks

Jason
    liamcu wrote: »
    I have a HD box and downgraded recently to the Digital Value+ tv package (without HD sibscription) and was able to view RTE2 HD until the weekend. A "loss of signal" page is now displayed for this channel. Curiously, the same message is displayed for BBC HD and BBC1 HD but for all other HD channels, an "access denied" message is displayed.

Contacted UPC and went through the motions of resetting box etc. but to no avail.

Have been given several conflicting reasons by UPC as to why RTE2 HD is unavailable from " there's a problem with it at the moment" to "there was a problem with it but there isn't now" to " you need a HD subscription."

If anyone reading this doesn't have a HD subscription but had a HD box and can view RTE2 HD, could they post here?

Liam

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭liamcu

Received a text from UPC at the weekend "activating my subscription." Have HD box but do not have HD subscription.

RTE2 HD signal now being received when it wasn't before.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭Storm 10

UPC: Jason wrote: »
    Liam

I can confirm once again that anybody that has a HD box from UPC, with or without a HD subscription will get RTE2HD free of charge from UPC

If you have a standard definition box you will get standard definition RTE2

If you have an error message then Please log a call with our technical support team and we will resolve it

Thanks

Jason

Hi Jason

I have UPC since they came to Galway I have the basic digital pack, I purchased a new Samsung HD TV recently but the picture quality from the UPC box is not great as its through a scart connection, would UPC change the box for me to a HD one without having a HD pack as the picture quality in the TV is better going through a HDMI cable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Virgin Media: Jason

Hi Storem 10

In order to get a HD box from UPC you must subscribe to HD, or you could subscribe to multiroom viewing, and the box we send you to install is a HD ready box with a HDMI output. Either option will cost you €5 extra per month.

Thanks

Jason
    Storm 10 wrote: »
    Hi Jason

I have UPC since they came to Galway I have the basic digital pack, I purchased a new Samsung HD TV recently but the picture quality from the UPC box is not great as its through a scart connection, would UPC change the box for me to a HD one without having a HD pack as the picture quality in the TV is better going through a HDMI cable.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

STB wrote: »
    Every customer must receive the channel at no extra cost.

They do. RTÉ Two HD is **not** a separate channel to RTÉ Two. It is the same channel, with an identical schedule, identical trailers, identical adverts. The only difference is the picture quality and the different DOG.

To ask UPC to do an immediate box replacement programme for every single customer - and especially with UPC Horizon on the way - is just not practicable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Just off the phone with a UPC sales person, who wanted to sign me up to half price sports and Movies, talking about the advantages of HD also and its great to enjoy movies in HD, kids love it why not try. I have to explain that Sky Movies and Sports are NOT in HD for UPC. She didn't understand.

icdg wrote: »
    They do. RTÉ Two HD is **not** a separate channel to RTÉ Two. It is the same channel, with an identical schedule, identical trailers, identical adverts. The only difference is the picture quality and the different DOG.

To ask UPC to do an immediate box replacement programme for every single customer - and especially with UPC Horizon on the way - is just not practicable.

Yes it is. The Minister added RTE2 HD, RTE News Now and RTE Jnr in February of last year as required under legislation (having considered other content submissions).

RTE2HD is only available digitally in HD.

There is no Digital SD service.

Money always gets in the way of practicalities. Lesson: Do not request the station under must offer if you cannot carry it FTA as required under the legislation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 JohnBlog

I have a standard box and the the scart connection is dodgey on it Ive had the STB about 3 years. I dont really want to upgrade to HD just to have the option to connect via HDMI cable would there be a replacement cost for my STB.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

They'll swap an NTL or Chorus box for a UPC one for the self-install charge (I think €30). It might not be a HD one that you end up with though, it appears to be luck of the draw.

I'll have to close this thread but you can start a new one if you want to discuss it further.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement