Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Live self-Builds - mod warning in post no. 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭sas

Well we've ground to a halt (with the exception of 2nd fix electrics).

We're waiting on the last big chunk for the mortgage and because our circumstances have changed since the last draw down the mortgage company is working through it as it's apparently "not straight forward".

Hoping to have some (good) news this week. If it's not then the fun starts.

Couple of shots of the open plan kitchen living area. These were taken on the day we used left over roofing membrane to mark out the footprint of our proposed furniture and kitchen layour. We're happy with it based on these. It's a great little trick to allow you to walk around the items and check them for scale before you buy.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,284 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

sas, can you split this last draw down into two?
    mortgage companies have gotten ridiculous lately for re assessing mortgages during builds, though in your case they have more leverage due to the length of the build.
    Hope it goes well for you, to be honest its way too late for them to start being picky now with just the 2nd fixing left....

using the off cuts for templates is a great idea. On your kitchen peninsula, it seems very wide.. circa 1.0 m?? is there a drop down breakfast bar or something on the living side?

sydthebeat wrote: »
    sas, can you split this last draw down into two?
    mortgage companies have gotten ridiculous lately for re assessing mortgages during builds, though in your case they have more leverage due to the length of the build.
    Hope it goes well for you, to be honest its way too late for them to start being picky now with just the 2nd fixing left....

using the off cuts for templates is a great idea. On your kitchen peninsula, it seems very wide.. circa 1.0 m?? is there a drop down breakfast bar or something on the living side?

We'll look at options once we get news. In fairness, the point of contact we have within the mortgage company did comment that the house isn't worth much to either party unfinished.

Peninsula is 1.5 * 4.1. It's all on the same level. It's in keeping with the minimalist look of the kitchen. The sink and hob are on the right hand side (when facing the letter box window). The attachment explains it better. Note the colours are not actually what we are going with, they were difficult to reproduce in the rendering software apparently. Gives a very good idea though.

The templates really works well. We were told about it years ago when picking a suite for our living room. At the time we just used sheets of newspaper taped together. We realised on this occasion that the suite (we will eventually purchase) can't be any longer than 2.8 metres or it cuts off the room. Scale is really important with furniture, too small is as bad as too big.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,284 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Really like the kitchen, the drawers on the living side make sense....

hope that coving was just on the whim of the illustrator?? :)

sydthebeat wrote: »
    hope that coving was just on the whim of the illustrator?? :)

Yes it was. The one thing we did take from this is that the letter box window would have worked an (aesthetically) a lot better as a single pane of glass.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Hi sas, hope the bankers take it easy on you:) wheres the extractor going? i don't see any cut out of the ceilings of it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

sas wrote: »
    Peninsula is 1.5 * 4.1. It's all on the same level. It's in keeping with the minimalist look of the kitchen. The sink and hob are on the right hand side (when facing the letter box window). The attachment explains it better. Note the colours are not actually what we are going with, they were difficult to reproduce in the rendering software apparently. Gives a very good idea though.

Well sas that is an impressive kitchen and you've managed to do something that I find hard to do - impress the boss!:D

We both like to semi-floating section at the end of the island. It works very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

BryanF wrote: »
    wheres the extractor going? i don't see any cut out of the ceilings of it

Dear oh dear Bryan!

One word, scrubber;)

:D

invest4deepvalue.com

Do-more wrote: »
    Dear oh dear Bryan!

One word, scrubber;)

:D

Yes, recirculating model. Apparently I'd be too far from the external wall even if I could have come up with something I was happy with (airtightness etc) for the venting type. Would have had an issue with pressure drops.

Pic attached. It basically floats. Very nice in the flesh.

just do it wrote: »
    Well sas that is an impressive kitchen and you've managed to do something that I find hard to do - impress the boss!:D

We both like to semi-floating section at the end of the island. It works very well.

Thanks, that was the designers idea, not ours. There will be LED strip lighting beneath the floating part.

We're actually playing with the idea of dropping a bulk head the exact size of the island directly above it. Then it would have spots within in that would be isolated i.e. we could have the only by themselves. We fancy this an idea and to be honest there was a booboo on site regarding the positioning of the grounds for the extractor. I don't know whether it was myself or the carpenter but we're off by about 500mm. So we'd have to do some patching in with the skimcoat if we do go with the bulk head.

• Advertisement

Yes, recirculating model. Pic attached. It basically floats. Very nice in the flesh.

Yikes, that looks expensive:eek:

just do it wrote: »
    Yikes, that looks expensive:eek:

Kitchen company supplying units, work tops and appliances so I'm not sure.

When I saw the final price I said something similar but alot less refined!

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Innish_Rebel

Kitchen company supplying units, work tops and appliances so I'm not sure.

When I saw the final price I said something similar but alot less refined!

I've been wondering how do most go - i.e. kitchen company to do appliances or get the appliances yourselves.

Kitchen looks great and the cutout shapes is a great way of picturing the layout...

I've been wondering how do most go - i.e. kitchen company to do appliances or get the appliances yourselves.

Kitchen looks great and the cutout shapes is a great way of picturing the layout...

I think most source them seperately. The reason we didn't is that the particular kitchen we're going for isn't manufactured here. If anything doesn't fit its on them because they are supplying everything.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Yes, recirculating model. Apparently I'd be too far from the external wall even if I could have come up with something I was happy with (airtightness etc) for the venting type. Would have had an issue with pressure drops.

Pic attached. It basically floats. Very nice in the flesh.
    excuse my ignorance but does the energy use of the scrubber go in to the phpp under ventilation?

BryanF wrote: »
    excuse my ignorance but does the energy use of the scrubber go in to the phpp under ventilation?

Fair question. It hasn't come up so I don't know. We still have some details to work out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 runnerpaul

I'm at an elary stage of planning a self build.

Are there any threads that would be useful/informative for trying to estimate the cost this will be?

Cheers
    Paul
    banned for a week

sydthebeat

It may not be as sexy as an insulated raft etc., but the septic tank and percolation trenches are vital. Spent 3 days this week on site laying soil pipes and septic tank. Pic attached is where we finished last night. 2 trenches ready for geotextile (which I'd forgotten to get, more money...). We'll finish these 2 today and hopfully get the final 2 runs done to complete the percolation area. Weather was good to us yesterday afternoon so hopefully today will be warm too.

For the aspiring direct labour build, plastic piping, ajs, risers, bends etc. all cost alot, ALOT. I'm at 2500k and counting. Granted the nature of our raft meant that the Ajs needed 4 risers (20 euro each) to path level. I've 11 ajs.

Money saving tip, if you find yourself with similar issue, buy 1 length of 12 inch pipe and cut your risers from that.
    44 risers at €20 = €880.
    1 length of 12 inch pipe is €155.

We got under way with our build on Monday...

WP_000173.jpg

By this evening it doesn't look a lot different but there has been three days solid work and 300 tonnes of sand and gravel in the ground together with all the cold water and sewer pipes in place.

WP_000178.jpg

If the weather is kind we will pour concrete next Thursday.

invest4deepvalue.com

We got under way with our build on Monday...

Congrats on getting started:D:D

• Advertisement

Most of the insulation is now in place for the slab.

WP_000182.jpg

WP_000183.jpg

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Do-more

Is that system foundation like supergrund or isoquick. if so who is it.

Thanks
    EM

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

ECO_Mental wrote: »
    Do-more

Is that system foundation like supergrund or isoquick. if so who is it.

Thanks
    EM

It's called Isogrund!

invest4deepvalue.com

Started pumping concrete at 7.30am this morning, so it will be power floated this evening and finished a day ahead of schedule.

WP_000196.jpg

No major hitches with anything so far, costs ended up about €1,500 over budget as the site took more sand and gravel than what was originally budgeted for.

But having previously built on a site that swallowed three times the amount of materials and labour that was expected, I'm happy to be out of the ground so close to budget this time round.

The council are also on site this morning extending the sewer and water mains to our site from across the road.

Big lull now as the frame doesn't arrive until the first week in May.

invest4deepvalue.com

We are now weeks away from moving in. May 4th appears very doable.

- ESB is connected.
    - Lighting being connected.
    - 2nd fix plumbing about to start.
    - Painting and Tiling underway.
    - 2nd fix carpentry under way.
    - Flooring down in 2 kids bedrooms and playroom.
    - Solar 2nd fix this thursday.
    - Kitchen coming next monday.

The pace of progress on site is great, something new to actually see every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭manufan16

Hi all,

October was my last post when I was about to order my scaffolding – how the time flies when building!

Since then….
    -Roof frame completed Nov
    -then Steel frame to sunroom fitted and roof frame
    -Remedial work at eaves now completed for air tightness (as no air tightness membrane fitted under first floor slab) thanks BryanF for help there.
    - Acrylic render applied to dormers and gable end of house where sunroom is before slates were finished.
    -Solar and TG roof windows installed
    -Roof slates and lead work completed Dec and week1 Jan.
    -Granite cills installed
    Then nothing happened for 6 weeks until mid Feb, now its all go again!
    -TG windows and doors were installed
    - Plumbing first fix underway
    - HRV ducting in place
    - Metal frame ceiling in place - thanks MFCeiling:-)
    - Metal stud walls in place for the few walls I made as partition rather than block so plumbers and sparks aren’t working with imaginary walls.

Next up is Jrail for fascia soffit then acrylic render can be done on ICF walls, following that electrical and home automation first fix, central vacuum first fix, then insulation to floors and screed.

No major problems to date, however the biggest mistake was not putting an air tightness membrane over the walls before slabs were dropped.

If we have a few rooms ready and can move in by 6 or 7 months from now I will be happy.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 45,923 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Well done. Keep up the good work :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 stevie200621

just about ta start new build now myself !! mortgage is approved and planning is in !! gettin prices on the piling aspect of it at the moment !! so any tips are appreciated for self build :)

Hi,

Tipping along nicely.

- Solar installed and up and running.
    - Softener, potable water tank and pump for pressurised system up and running.
    - Kitchen arrived yesterday and being installed today.
    - Tiling well under way.
    - Most lighting in.
    - 2nd fix carpentry under way
    - Painting progressing nicely
    - Alarm up and running.

Stairs still a pain point but making progress.

SAS

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭brendan_donegal

Any tips on getting tradesmen to turn up, thought this was a thing of the past but the guys I use seem to be well in demand, with the good weather nobody wants to work inside, I'm 3 weeks behind, work has come to a stand still, so frustrating

Advertisement